Which player do you use

jpaul1

i'm curious about which software you use to play your favorite series. i used to use MPC, but recently it's turning into quite a nightmare. i get nasty freezes. the player was great in rendering an 30 years old series. i'm thinking of changing, but before considering buying one i'd like to know which one do you use (if i can find free..)

Had to buy a region-free Sony bluray player just so I could watch the US MV boxset. Thanks universal :thumbsdown:

Used to play the dvds on my laptop at work.:dance2:

Edited by Vincent Hanna

I use a LG BD630 Blu-ray player I've had for about seven years now. Long discontinued but mine still never misses a beat and gets the job done. Probably the best player I've had.

i was talking of software. anyways for some reason, VLC decided to put me back a nice image. so problem is fixed, for now. i was not talking of Blu-ray. i'm glad to see Blu-ray packs are good quality. i read there were few issues few monthes ago. btw, is Blu-ray worth it. is there a real improvement compared to classic DVD. and which Blu-ray collection is best to buy. thx

My new computer came with a DVD player but no DVD playing software.   :rolleyes:   Google told me that is common now and it's a sign that DVDs are old fashioned.  I downloaded VLC since it seems to be the most popular.

• Like 1

DVD are subject to deterioration (i had that bad surprise with my MV collection). and now with good internet connections being more, and more common, i believe DVD are living their last dance. just finished backing up my collection. found a cool software called makeMkv. it backs up in mkv files. it's a good quality format. and you have only one file, easy to read. the beta version is freeware for classic DVD. and a bit expensive for B-R, but very useful. easy interface, and can deal damaged DVD. don't forget to untick the subtitles you don't want, if you decide to go for it. my whole collection weights 200 Gig. and now is safe in a warm location, on 3 different HD :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

When I'm watching something on the PC, I always use VLC. It's simple, has codecs and compatibility for a wide range of formats, picture is good, lots of things to customise your picture and colour-correct which I always use when watching Miami Vice to try and match the original broadcast colours as best I can. 

I've been using VLC for maybe 10 years now, so I'm accustomed to it I guess.

However, since I got the Bluray, I've been watching Miami Vice on TV through either my Bluray player or PS4. And Fabulous Films seem to have already made the colour corrections I would make anyway. I use VLC for watching my other, downloaded shows. 

• Like 1

I've used media software by Windows already installed on the computer, also have RealPlayer and started using VLC about a year ago to try it out. I like that is has needed options for editing and compatibility as mentioned. But the only complaint would be that, when fast-forwarding a lot it gets a distorted picture with lines. Then I'm forced to switch to a different media player. Not sure why it does that... 

Edited by summer84

• Administrators

Maybe the graphics processor is unable to render the image on the spot. I think VLC (and other media players) sort of use a buffer, if you skip too far ahead it has to process that image on the spot, which sometimes looks glitchy. 

I usually click the thing and drag it slowly across about 10-20 seconds at a time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Maybe the graphics processor is unable to render the image on the spot. I think VLC (and other media players) sort of use a buffer, if you skip too far ahead it has to process that image on the spot, which sometimes looks glitchy. 

I usually click the thing and drag it slowly across about 10-20 seconds at a time. 

It doesn't always do that, but has a tendency to. I thought it maybe was an issue/bug specifically related to the VLC player, as the distinct distortion of the picture never ocurred on the Windows video players. And I do have the lastest updated version. I recall someone posted a screen shot, that had the same distortion of the image and I instantly new it was from VLC. 

Thank you for the help James! I''ll try that!

Edited by summer84

17 minutes ago, Voodoo Vice Dealer said:

GOM Player 4 ever! One of the best players I know.

Maybe something I should check out. Never heard of it. 

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Maybe something I should check out. Never heard of it. 

I also really recommend that also Summer.:shout:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Because most of my watching involves location hunting, bad scanning functionality is a killer for me.  I tried Cyberlink Power Media Player which came with my new HP computer, and it's better at scanning than VLC.