Help with Original Recordings!

Marco Falcone

Okay, so it seems somehow the original recordings of some of the Vice soundtrack disappeared off my Apple Music Vice Playlist, and now I can only get the re-recorded versions!?!

I had the Original Theme, Extended Original Theme, and Crockett's Theme as they were originally recorded.  Searching iTunes/Apple Music only shows the crappy re-do's.  On my old laptop, it won't even allow to play some older Jan Hammer downloads from "Escape from Television."  (They are "greyed-out and won't play.)  

Is this some Apple BS?

I'm pretty computer illiterate.  Is there anyone here who can help get the original recordings back?

Thanks!

always make a backup of important files. have at least 2 HDD dedicated to backup only. i made that nasty experience a while ago. well in your case, you should tell apple about that issue, and tell them you are interested into the old stuff, so they put it back online. i don't know how that apple works exactly. i buy and download my tracks, then i back them up. for the music i have 4 back ups. 2 on HDD, and 2 on USB. and search all online shops including russian ones, that have often a large base of songs

Thanks for the advice.  I thought my old laptop that I had was my back-up.  Once I have these songs back, I will buy a detachable hard drive and burn all my music to it.

Dadrian:  PM incoming.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

Okay, so it seems somehow the original recordings of some of the Vice soundtrack disappeared off my Apple Music Vice Playlist, and now I can only get the re-recorded versions!?!

I had the Original Theme, Extended Original Theme, and Crockett's Theme as they were originally recorded.  Searching iTunes/Apple Music only shows the crappy re-do's.  On my old laptop, it won't even allow to play some older Jan Hammer downloads from "Escape from Television."  (They are "greyed-out and won't play.)  

Is this some Apple BS?

I'm pretty computer illiterate.  Is there anyone here who can help get the original recordings back?

Thanks!

They must've removed it for licensing or something. Something which happens frequently with streaming services. I use Spotify and sometimes notice songs changing to re-recorded versions which sound totally different. Pretty annoying. 

20 minutes ago, Marco Falcone said:

Dadrian:  PM sent.

Got it. Thanks. I will contact you the next time I’m on my desktop PC (with all my files). 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

Thanks for the advice.  I thought my old laptop that I had was my back-up.  Once I have these songs back, I will buy a detachable hard drive and burn all my music to it.

Go one better. I put all my music on flash drives. Any hard drive can crash. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Go one better. I put all my music on flash drives. Any hard drive can crash. 

So can a flash drive. Hope you have multiple backups. :thumbsup:

First, THANK YOU DADRIAN!

Second, I need to spend some time backing up my back-ups.

Third...  watching “Killshot” as I type this.  Just started it.  The pre-opening set-up is awesome!  
-The Who “Eminence Front.”  
-A dark and dirty harbor.  
-Sonny on the Scarab.
-Ridiculous puffy purple-blue bad guy Silvio.
-Great night-time boat chase.

I recall the rest of the episode being okay but not one of the great ones.  Still gonna watch it and the next whilst sipping a Jameson.

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, James said:

So can a flash drive. Hope you have multiple backups. :thumbsup:

I did not know that,  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 7:40 AM, Ferrariman said:

I did not know that,  Thanks!

When a Flash storage device fails, it is a total loss—there is no way to access anything on it; unlike a HDD, which, absent physical damage, more often than not is recoverable. Unless you overwrite it with zeros about 5 times...

On 7/23/2018 at 1:56 PM, Marco Falcone said:

Is this some Apple BS?

Thanks!

If you subscribed to the Apple Music cloud service, then your files have been replaced by theirs, which is to say that the Labels have provided what they consider to be the "official" versions of songs/albums. They think it's a feature, not a bug. This is one of many reasons I will never use anything that requires Cloud storage.