My 80s holy trilogy is complete today!

Assasinge

9 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Today on my 18th birthday (gahhh I'm an adult now!) my dad surprised me with 2 new box sets to join my Miami Vice one!!!!!

IMG_2832.JPG

Very nice - both blu Ray ?

Awesome gifts! Magnum is one of my all time favorite shows...along with, of course, Miami Vice. Welcome to the world of responsibilities. :)

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Very nice - both blu Ray ?

No actually! The Magnum PI Bluray set is only available in the UK and I'm in the US so I couldn't really get my hands on it. 

The Knight Rider one I chose not to get the BluRay set because it has syndicated edits and removed music, along with quality not as good as DVD from what I saw on 

reviews.

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

your dad is cool man. take care of him

Thanks man, I sure as hell will and am!

22 minutes ago, Scot from S.C. said:

Awesome gifts! Magnum is one of my all time favorite shows...along with, of course, Miami Vice. Welcome to the world of responsibilities. :)

Haha responsibilites man damn! Sucks growin' up sometimes I gues. Also thank you! I'm very happy with these gifts!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

No actually! The Magnum PI Bluray set is only available in the UK and I'm in the US so I couldn't really get my hands on it. 

The Knight Rider one I chose not to get the BluRay set because it has syndicated edits and removed music, along with quality not as good as DVD from what I saw on 

reviews.

Thanks man, I sure as hell will and am!

Haha responsibilites man damn! Sucks growin' up sometimes I gues. Also thank you! I'm very happy with these gifts!

So cool dude!

• Like 1

Happy Birthday to you for your 18th then. :thumbsup:

Ah, to be that age again.

With all your enthusiasm for the decade, have you looked into the possibility that maybe you lived a past life in the 80s? :) :p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

With all your enthusiasm for the decade, have you looked into the possibility that maybe you lived a past life in the 80s? :) :p

I know I have been thinking that about myself! :)

Edited by Retro80sfan

2 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Happy Birthday to you for your 18th then. :thumbsup:

Ah, to be that age again.

Haha thank you! I have and I often get told I was born in the wrong generation from adults! LOL

30 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

What a great Dad you have!

I know! Thanks lol!

• Administrators

Magnum is great. I really enjoyed watching it on daytime TV re-runs a few years back. I watched the whole series on TV. 

I really should get the boxset. maybe I'll get the Bluray. When summer comes, that way I can watch it after my Miami Vice run. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Retro80sfan:

I know I have been thinking that about myself! :)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Assasinge:

Haha thank you! I have and I often get told I was born in the wrong generation from adults! LOL

I see where you're coming from though.

In the 80s when many of us here grew up, it was all about the 1950s. Circa 1985-86, there was a huge revival of 1950s American pop culture, with fashion, music, movies... you name it. It was a current that was sort of running parallel with the Miami Vice craze, but outlasted it until the early 90s. Think movies like Stand By Me or 1950s themed Levi's jeans commercials...

It's kind of ironic today when you think that the 80s have turned out to be looked back on as such an iconic decade all in its own right, and that we have had many 80s revivals since. With few people remembering that from 1986 to 1989, many of us pretty much pretended it was the 1950s again... :)

Edited by Daytona74

12 hours ago, James said:

Magnum is great. I really enjoyed watching it on daytime TV re-runs a few years back. I watched the whole series on TV. 

I really should get the boxset. maybe I'll get the Bluray. When summer comes, that way I can watch it after my Miami Vice run. 

Magnum really is great and super fun to watch! It's good for kicking back for light hearted humor and such after a long day or after a heavy Vice episode haha!

4 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I see where you're coming from though.

In the 80s when many of us here grew up, it was all about the 1950s. Circa 1985-86, there was a huge revival of 1950s American pop culture, with fashion, music, movies... you name it. It was a current that was sort of running parallel with the Miami Vice craze, but outlasted it until the early 90s. Think movies like Stand By Me or 1950s themed Levi's jeans commercials...

It's kind of ironic today when you think that the 80s have turned out to be looked back on as such an iconic decade all in its own right, and that we have had many 80s revivals since. With few people remembering that from 1986 to 1989, many of us pretty much pretended it was the 1950s again... :)

Wow! I didn't know the 50s culture revival was a thing in the 80s! Funny, I guess each generation has its own previous gens revival thing or something lol. Kinda glad to see the 80s retrowave make a comeback around this time, though sadly not many people my age still know of these great shows. All they know is Keeping up With the Kardashians and stuff like that lol.

Big thanks to my dad for introducing me to these great shows at a young age and instilling them in me even today!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Magnum really is great and super fun to watch! It's good for kicking back for light hearted humor and such after a long day or after a heavy Vice episode haha!

Haha 

I usually watch a light-hearted MV episode after a movie that didn’t sit well with me. 

• Haha 1

• Administrators

On the subject of revival scenes, there's one thing I have noticed.

1950 - 1980 = 30 years

1980 - 2010 = 30 years

90s had sort of a 60s revival theme to it, and the early 2000s was pretty 70s. 

Revival scenes are always 30 years before, so get ready for the 2020's 90s revival, and the 2030's 2000s revival. :) 

Though in the 1950s people were more into the western era as a revival scene, so... A few decades before 1920.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Enjoy @Assasinge !

They look very cool indeed pal!

Thank you! I sure do and make a point to watch any one of these shows with my dad whenever I can now haha!

8 hours ago, James said:

On the subject of revival scenes, there's one thing I have noticed.

1950 - 1980 = 30 years

1980 - 2010 = 30 years

90s had sort of a 60s revival theme to it, and the early 2000s was pretty 70s. 

Revival scenes are always 30 years before, so get ready for the 2020's 90s revival, and the 2030's 2000s revival. :) 

Though in the 1950s people were more into the western era as a revival scene, so... A few decades before 1920.

Now that's very interesting...though maybe not entirely surprising. It probably isn't long before this 80s retrowave culture revival goes and the 90s rolls around...what will we see then?

Girls dressed up as Shirley Manson? *Hey I ain't complaining lol*

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Thank you! I sure do and make a point to watch any one of these shows with my dad whenever I can now haha!

Now that's very interesting...though maybe not entirely surprising. It probably isn't long before this 80s retrowave culture revival goes and the 90s rolls around...what will we see then?

The pictures of the other two box sets look great also! Glad you had good gifts!

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Assasinge:

It will probably end up as a pastiche of things that actually happened in the 90s. And like with the 80s revivals, those of us who were around back then will be torn between feeling happy that somebody remembers and appreciates those past decades when we were all much younger than today, and cringing at the way those who weren't around will pull certain things out of context and think the entire decade was like that. ;)

Much the same way we didn't all wear pastel linen suits from 1980 all the way through to 1989, you might be disappointed if you think all we did in the 90s was play with our Tamagotchis and listen to Aqua, or dance the Marcarena while wearing Hypercolor T-shirts and neon shorts :p :)

(I still have various pairs of neon shorts, and they are biding their time in my basement... I'm proud to say I haven't really gained an awful lot of weight since the early 90s, so I am looking forward to the day when they will be the height of fashion again :))

Edited by Daytona74

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Assasinge said:

I've already heard a few 90s sounding songs on NewRetroWave... :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the return of 90s Boybands in 2028. :) 

• Haha 1