One of THE best MV reviews ever!

S.FL84

I wasn't joking in the slightest when I said the city of Miami and particularly South Beach owes literally tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to Michael Mann.  It was his prophetic vision that made South Beach into what it is today w no exaggeration.  If MV had never existed Miami would look no different than Fort Lauderdale.  < I think thats pretty accurate.

Someone earlier posted that is was the billions of cocaine dollars into the local economy that revitalized South Beach but I disagree.  It was MV that put the vision into the minds of the cocaine millionaires that showed them the goal.  If MV had not planted the seed  it wouldn't have mattered how many dollars there were to invest because those dollars wouldn't have been invested in South Beach.

The cocaine millionaires HAD to have legit business to invest their $$ in and much like the American mafia construction businesses are always good money laundering investments.  By the mid 80's there were literally floors & floors of empty high end condos selling for honestly cents on the dollars of what those same condos are selling for today.

index.gif

To continue this thread's ORIGINAL theme as I've already stated in my opinion OUT WHERE THE BUSES DON'T RUN is w/out a doubt in my mind one of the if not THE (besides the pilot ep.) best MV eps.  In fact after season 2 MV mostly became so formulaic it was a joke.  But those first two seasons when everything was new and the show/cast was still humble & original MV was probablyTHE best show ever on television.  In Season 2  MV hit its peak and just about every ep. was incredible.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, S.FL84 said:

Wow, great stuff!   I totally agree with you.  This might be my favorite MV review I've ever read.  The review is very short, but every single point he makes is excellent.

More than just the visual style or the cool soundtrack, it's that sense of alienation, of existential heroism in the face of utter futility, that hit home back in 1984. In a way that few if any TV shows had ever done before, Miami Vice depicted a chaotic universe in which the only moral absolutes were those created and maintained by its inhabitants. Nothing new these days, after The Sopranos and The Wire and Breaking Bad, but a radically new and dangerous concept for television back in 1984.

I disagree slightly here.  I think the visual style and cool soundtrack hit home more than anything else.  That's what captured viewers.  It was like a one-two punch.  Once the viewers were drawn in by the flash, Vice hit them with the film noir themes of futility.  But many viewers just tuned out that deeper level of the show.

The same thing happened with the 1987 movie "Wall Street".  Many people in finance loved the movie.  It inspired young people to go work in finance.  How is that possible?  Easy!  They just ignored the dark themes and enjoyed the flashy parts of the movie.

Of course, the balance between the two dynamics varied greatly from one Vice episode to the next, and from one season to the next.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

Wow, great stuff!   I totally agree with you.  This might be my favorite MV review I've ever read.  The review is very short, but every single point he makes is excellent.

I disagree slightly here.  I think the visual style and cool soundtrack hit home more than anything else.  That's what captured viewers.  It was like a one-two punch.  Once the viewers were drawn in by the flash, Vice hit them with the film noir themes of futility.  But many viewers just tuned out that deeper level of the show.

The same thing happened with the 1987 movie "Wall Street".  Many people in finance loved the movie.  It inspired young people to go work in finance.  How is that possible?  Easy!  They just ignored the dark themes and enjoyed the flashy parts of the movie.

Of course, the balance between the two dynamics varied greatly from one Vice episode to the next, and from one season to the next.

Great analogy with Wall Street. Gordon  Gecko was an immoral sleaze but he became the popular face of that film.  I think Michael Douglas just looked too handsome and sophisticated to be perceived as the truly bad guy he was by many viewers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fantastic review! I'm glad to see a text that does its part in order to make sure no one will ever forget that Miami Vice was a lot more than style, aesthetic, clothes and 80s revival!

• Like 2