EJO interview: "I'll always be grateful to Miami Vice"

Daytona74

Just found this interview from 2015. It's in Spanish, so below is my attempt at a translation.

https://alsoldelacosta.com/entrevista-con-edward-james-olmos-siempre-le-estare-agradecido-a-miami-vice/

At his 68 years of age, Edward James Olmos still draws "with satisfaction" on his role als "Lieutenant Castillo" in the TV series "Miami Vice", which catapulted him to world fame. The Mexican-American actor and director was in Marbella (Spain) for the "Premios Platino del Cine Iberoamericano" of the Starlite Festival, and spoke exclusively with "Al Sol de la Costa".

- With the passing of time, what memories does the series bring back?

- Many, and positive ones. I will always be grateful to "Miami Vice" because with me, we opened a door to the Latino actor in an important role wich wasn't open to us collectively. I was like an ambassador of the time period, and that made me feel very special.

- Was Don Johnson as difficult during the filming as everybody said?

- No. The directors knew how to handle him. He was a good actor and handsome, which guaranteed his success. Not like me, being Latino and ugly (laughs)...

- After that came "Blade Runner" and many more

- We went through all the possible styles of acting performance. That's the nicest thing about being an actor, if they don't typecast you for one line of work.

- In the many years since, has the image of the Latino actor improved in Hollywood?

- Still not enough. There isn't 100 percent confidence in the industry, and some things like the statements of Donald Trump don't help with full integration. I think it worsens the situation and doesn't serve to pave the way. But cinema reflects society in the U.S., and it's where we have to keep in step together.

- Could a "Latino lobby" succeed in Hollywood?

- That would be a good thing, and there have been steps on behalf of directors and actors, but it's not an easy task. We have to continue to build a big mountain with small pebbles which will be seen by the whole world.

- Have you felt discriminated against in your career for being Latino?

- When roles were decided, yes. But everyone of us who is dedicated has to deal with that and we know what you can or what you can't do about it. Our dream is that this will disappear little by little.

- What do you like better, directing or acting?

- It depends on the moment, but I enjoy both facets of the world of cinema.

- At the moment, the movie "The 33" is opening, based on the rescue of the miners in Atacama (Chile), starring Antonio Banderas. That will not have been easy?

- Because of the terrain and the work conditions. It's a tough and distressing film. The help that the actual miners offered us with their accounts of it was key. That way, we better understood the tragedy that they lived through down there, and the suffering of mine workers in general.

- Are the Premios Platino the Hispanic Oscars?

- That's it. Based on the level of acting, directing and the industry, I consider them that. This is like the Grammys and other festivals where we have much to say.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Just found this interview from 2015. It's in Spanish, so below is my attempt at a translation.

https://alsoldelacosta.com/entrevista-con-edward-james-olmos-siempre-le-estare-agradecido-a-miami-vice/

At his 68 years of age, Edward James Olmos still draws "with satisfaction" on his role als "Lieutenant Castillo" in the TV series "Miami Vice", which catapulted him to world fame. The Mexican-American actor and director was in Marbella (Spain) for the "Premios Platino del Cine Iberoamericano" of the Starlite Festival, and spoke exclusively with "Al Sol de la Costa".

- With the passing of time, what memories does the series bring back?

- Many, and positive ones. I will always be grateful to "Miami Vice" because with me, we opened a door to the Latino actor in an important role wich wasn't open to us collectively. I was like an ambassador of the time period, and that made me feel very special.

- Was Don Johnson as difficult during the filming as everybody said?

- No. The directors knew how to handle him. He was a good actor and handsome, which guaranteed his success. Not like me, being Latino and ugly (laughs)...

- After that came "Blade Runner" and many more

- We went through all the possible styles of acting performance. That's the nicest thing about being an actor, if they don't typecast you for one line of work.

- In the many years since, has the image of the Latino actor improved in Hollywood?

- Still not enough. There isn't 100 percent confidence in the industry, and some things like the statements of Donald Trump don't help with full integration. I think it worsens the situation and doesn't serve to pave the way. But cinema reflects society in the U.S., and it's where we have to keep in step together.

- Could a "Latino lobby" succeed in Hollywood?

- That would be a good thing, and there have been steps on behalf of directors and actors, but it's not an easy task. We have to continue to build a big mountain with small pebbles which will be seen by the whole world.

- Have you felt discriminated against in your career for being Latino?

- When roles were decided, yes. But everyone of us who is dedicated has to deal with that and we know what you can or what you can't do about it. Our dream is that this will disappear little by little.

- What do you like better, directing or acting?

- It depends on the moment, but I enjoy both facets of the world of cinema.

- At the moment, the movie "The 33" is opening, based on the rescue of the miners in Atacama (Chile), starring Antonio Banderas. That will not have been easy?

- Because of the terrain and the work conditions. It's a tough and distressing film. The help that the actual miners offered us with their accounts of it was key. That way, we better understood the tragedy that they lived through down there, and the suffering of mine workers in general.

- Are the Premios Platino the Hispanic Oscars?

- That's it. Based on the level of acting, directing and the industry, I consider them that. This is like the Grammys and other festivals where we have much to say.

That’s a lovely read - Thankyou for sharing 

• Like 1