Edward James Olmos in Stand and Deliver (1988)

BunMVO

I saw some clips from Stand and Deliver that had Olmos as the teacher and its funny because I watched this movie in a math class in high school a few short years ago, before my discovery of Miami Vice. Anyway, seeing as the movie was released in 1988, during Vice’s run, I was wondering how Olmos is moustache-free in it, when he has his signature Castillo moustache in season 4 and 5. Does anyone know the explanation for this moustachioed mystery?

Apparently it was filmed at the end of season 4. In Deliver Us From Evil he looks slightly heavier than usual. Apparently that was the weight he gained for the movie. I haven't seen Stand and Deliver but I'd like to to as I hear it's one of EJO's best performances.

He was nominated for Best Actor but didn't win. Here's him being nominated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErqHXzhSuv4

Edited by Tommy Vercetti

Last shooting day for season 4 was 31 March, first for season 5 was mid-September, thus plenty of time for the movie and the mustache. 

What is more difficult to understand how EJO could appear at the 89 Oscar ceremony in March with short hair and without mustache, as this was during filming of last season 5 episodes (where Castillo was rarely be seen).

Well if they were able to give him a convincing combover in the movie Stand and Deliver, then surely they could have just stuck a fake mustache on him on Miami Vice and we wouldn't have noticed... ;)

Love this move, watched when it came out. Though my look could make you think otherwise ;-), EJO is one of my favorite actors both in and out of MV.

Great movie with a story and a meaning, you don't see things like that anymore. Not to mention the end credits homonymous song by Mr Mister. Pure 80s dynamite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJtPXfMAwA

A favorite movie of mine too.  It was such an inspirational film.  He played a teacher who would not give up on his students, even the trouble makers.  

5 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

A favorite movie of mine too.  It was such an inspirational film.  He played a teacher who would not give up on his students, even the trouble makers.  

He is a fine actor. 

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

He is a fine actor. 

And arguably, the MV cast member with the most respectable career since '89. Even Don Johnson's work has been hit and miss at times.

3 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

And arguably, the MV cast member with the most respectable career since '89. Even Don Johnson's work has been hit and miss at times.

Well possibly - we can rule out PMTs :hippie::cheers::)

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Well possibly - we can rule out PMTs :hippie::cheers::)

Yeah let's not go there. :p

You'd wish only the best for PMT, but he didn't do that well at all after the end of MV.

Edited by Daytona74

2 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

You'd wish only the best for PMT, but he didn't do that well at all after the end of MV.

Oh yes - always wish PMT the  best, he’s great!

But career after 1989 struggled then he stopped.:cheers:

Edited by Matt5

I've always thought Michael Talbott and John Diehl should have gotten a show together. They had great chemistry on-screen and you probably could have done something with that.

6 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

It makes you wonder, why didn't he go on to be more successful overall? Why didn't really any of the cast of Miami Vice see much success after the show? You'd think that their superstardom, however brief, would have helped. Even John Diehl and Michael Talbott have sunken to pretty depressing depths, Talbott has a small Facebook page and he replied to my comment. Obviously not the bigshots they were anymore.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb pmconroy:

It makes you wonder, why didn't he go on to be more successful overall? Why didn't really any of the cast of Miami Vice see much success after the show? You'd think that their superstardom, however brief, would have helped. Even John Diehl and Michael Talbott have sunken to pretty depressing depths, Talbott has a small Facebook page and he replied to my comment. Obviously not the bigshots they were anymore.

And to add insult to injury, some of the most enduring Hollywood actors of the last 30 years got their first real break on Miami Vice...

Also, I think after the dismal fourth and fifth season, whether or not fans like us perceive them as not so bad after all, Miami Vice became more the butt of many jokes than it was seen as a show that was letting its main cast now go on to bigger and better things. Even Don Johnson really only got back on his feet with Nash Bridges, after a string of mediocre movies, and that was more than six years after Miami Vice ended. Having been a main cast member on Miami Vice just wasn't that glowing reference on your resume when the show was canceled.

It's great that everybody now looks so kindly on the cultural phenomenon that Miami Vice was in the mid-80s. It gives many of us old fans a sense of vindication. But I can assure you that was not the case in the early 90s. Everybody would roll their eyes at you if you were still into Miami Vice in 1991. And nobody wanted to be caught dead in a pastel suit.

I think Miami Vice's quiet cult following as a classic TV show really only came into being with various late night cable reruns over the years around the globe. A few years ago, I was shocked when one of the neighbor's kids, who was a teenager at the time, told me he was watching Miami Vice on TV, and that he really enjoyed it. And I guess it kind of grew from that again, and nowadays, Miami Vice has regained its rightful place as one of  TV's greatest moments ever.

Too little, too late though for the show's main cast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

And to add insult to injury, some of the most enduring Hollywood actors of the last 30 years got their first real break on Miami Vice...

Also, I think after the dismal fourth and fifth season, whether or not fans like us perceive them as not so bad after all, Miami Vice became more the butt of many jokes than it was seen as a show that was letting its main cast now go on to bigger and better things. Even Don Johnson really only got back on his feet with Nash Bridges, after a string of mediocre movies, and that was more than six years after Miami Vice ended. Having been a main cast member on Miami Vice just wasn't that glowing reference on your resume when the show was canceled.

It's great that everybody now looks so kindly on the cultural phenomenon that Miami Vice was in the mid-80s. It gives many of us old fans a sense of vindication. But I can assure you that was not the case in the early 90s. Everybody would roll their eyes at you if you were still into Miami Vice in 1991. And nobody wanted to be caught dead in a pastel suit.

I think Miami Vice's quiet cult following as a classic TV show really only came into being with various late night cable reruns over the years around the globe. A few years ago, I was shocked when one of the neighbor's kids, who was a teenager at the time, told me he was watching Miami Vice on TV, and that he really enjoyed it. And I guess it kind of grew from that again, and nowadays, Miami Vice has regained its rightful place as one of  TV's greatest moments ever.

Too little, too late though for the show's main cast.

I agree. I wasn't even around until 1997 but I can see how what you're saying makes total sense. The latter seasons were overall not very good especially compared to the first two seasons, which were the height of its influence and "cool". With episodes like Missing Hours and The Cows of October, I can see how it was starting to be less appreciated and more of a joke.

It's really sad, though. That cool effect was not enough to last the following years, however, I think overall it is one of the greatest legacies on television. The use of popular music, the eye-popping visuals, the camerawork, the unconventional and innovative clothing styles, and sometimes controversial subject matter are all things that we can see the lasting effects of even today.

What really irks me is when Miami Vice is used as a punchline to make the '80s look cheesy and dumb. People seem to have forgotten just how badass it was.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb pmconroy:

What really irks me is when Miami Vice is used as a punchline to make the '80s look cheesy and dumb. People seem to have forgotten just how badass it was.

That's kind of the whole point in a nutshell, and it's the kind of perception that Miami Vice has been up against for about 30 years. It seems to be only in the last couple of years now that the show wins people over again. The first big step was really GTA:Vice City. That was pretty much the first entity that paid genuine homage to the show and didn't ridicule it for cheap laughs. And then the Miami Vice movie was really, surprisingly, anticipated by many as a welcome new installment of the franchise, although the overall reception when it did come out was then relatively tepid.

Maybe we're at a point now where people have actually forgotten again how cheesy they once thought the show was. In a way. Maybe the world really is ready for a Miami Vice reboot now.But if the people who do it get it wrong again, then the franchise's reputation could be ruined once again.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:28 PM, Daytona74 said:

That's kind of the whole point in a nutshell, and it's the kind of perception that Miami Vice has been up against for about 30 years. It seems to be only in the last couple of years now that the show wins people over again. The first big step was really GTA:Vice City. That was pretty much the first entity that paid genuine homage to the show and didn't ridicule it for cheap laughs. And then the Miami Vice movie was really, surprisingly, anticipated by many as a welcome new installment of the franchise, although the overall reception when it did come out was then relatively tepid.

Maybe we're at a point now where people have actually forgotten again how cheesy they once thought the show was. In a way. Maybe the world really is ready for a Miami Vice reboot now.But if the people who do it get it wrong again, then the franchise's reputation could be ruined once again.

I’d be interested in a reboot, but at the same time, Vice was such a product of its time, that it would be impossible to capture the same feel. I will stay tuned to see how this Vin Diesel thing pans out. While I don’t think we will ever have another true Miami Vice, I think some pretty cool things could possibly be done inspired by it and tied in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pmconroy said:

I’d be interested in a reboot, but at the same time, Vice was such a product of its time, that it would be impossible to capture the same feel. I will stay tuned to see how this Vin Diesel thing pans out. While I don’t think we will ever have another true Miami Vice, I think some pretty cool things could possibly be done inspired by it and tied in.

Yes I agree - see how this pans out!:hippie:

• Like 1