9/11

miamijimf

Unfortunately, people are forgetting or just want to forget because its been so long or don't want to offend the terrorists that did it or their countries.  Independence Day is over 200 years and no one forgets that.  So WE MUST REMEMBER!!!!  Otherwise, so many have died in Vain.

• Like 1

My wife and I are watching a 9/11 special now.  Brings back memories of when I first heard about this happening.  I remember shouting Bin Laden was the only one with the resources to pull this off.  I agree we must never forget.  

• Administrators

Can't believe it's been 17 years already, I remember seeing it on TV as it happened when I was 7. 

I will never forget! 

A big shock was last night when I realised that people who were born after it happened are teenagers, beginning to graduate school, going to college. I feel old. But anyway, to the point I'm making - That generation and generations to come will view 9/11 differently. To them it's a history lesson, they view it like we would view World War II, with little to no emotional attachment. But we lived it, we saw the horrors that day and it changed us, and it's something we will live with and remember for the rest of our lives, something we will tell our kids and grandkids about. 

R.I.P to the victims and heroes. And a huge thank you and God bless to all the firefighters, police offers, EMT's, and anyone else who helped (or tried to help) save lives on that terrible day. 

Here's the scene from The Prodigal Son which was filmed at the World Trade Center around The Sphere. Crockett and Tubbs walk in from the east, we are looking at the east facing side of the North Tower/Tower 1 (which had the antennas at the top). 

vlcsnap-2018-09-07-21h14m31s362.png

I also like this shot of the twin towers standing tall in the background.

vlcsnap-2018-09-07-20h57m09s912.png

Here's my Instagram post with more: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnlHCP9BuZq/?taken-by=miamivice_tv

A few images were cut from the post because of low lighting, but there are two more scenes where it's seen, when Crockett and Tubbs are looking through binoculars, and when they arrive at the warehouse they blew up. But the scenes are so dark that you can barely make it out, but if you look closely you will see the antenna on the North Tower flash red. 

• Like 4

I visited the World Trade Center in 1990 on a student exchange summer program. We did the whole tour, including going up to Windows of the World. I've still got old photos of it somewhere. It was kind of an eerie feeling when I looked at those photos again a few days after 9/11... to have visited a place that was the scene of such horrible tragedy just over a decade later...

On the afternoon of September 11, 2001, I was actually on a long planned trip to visit a friend who was in college in Kaiserslautern at the time. Kaiserslautern itself and then Ramstein just five miles outside of it, as many here will know, have huge U.S. Army military installations. Lots of military personnel down there. My friend actually had a student job at a consumer electronics store frequented by many Americans, and he said people, not just Americans but everybody, was watching the live news feed on the big TV screens there in complete shock, and many people broke down crying. My friend's shift was right when the two planes hit and the towers then came down. And then that night when I arrived in Kaiserslautern, we were going to go have a drink in one of the bars in downtown Kaiserslautern, but the whole area was pretty much deserted. He told me that even on a Tuesday night, you would normally have had at least some people in a few of the bars there. But there just wasn't anybody there. No Americans, no Germans. It was a bit like a few hours earlier, when it kind of seemed odd to me that the A5, normally the busiest north-south freeway connection in southwestern Germany, was almost empty. On a weekday, around rush hour time. My guess was that just everybody was glued to a TV somewhere...

We then happened to drive by Ramstein Air Base, and they had put these huge concrete barriers in front of the main gate and nobody was going in or out. Like,  2 ft thick L-shaped concrete barriers that were each 8 ft tall and 20 ft wide. Probably part of the U.S. military's high alert procedures that day. They seemed to be on complete lockdown.

It's going to be interesting how that day will be portrayed in history books. I'm not sure you can really get the message across that the whole world changed on one single day. Not to those who weren't alive back then or too young to fully grasp it. And who have no memory of what the world was like before that day. Some say the carefree 1990s ended on September 11, 2001. And to me that's about the most succinct way of putting it that I can think of.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 4

• Administrators

I was a firefighter in Clifton, New Jersey and was working that day. We were having our morning coffee, watching it all unfold on TV and we just couldn't believe what we were seeing. It looked like a scene from a Hollywood movie.   A bunch of our off duty firefighters rounded up their gear and headed for the city.  By the time I had a chance to go the next day, they had so much help that they were telling fire departments to stand down unless you were called.  

I've seen a lot of shit in my 29 years on the department and it takes quite a bit to rattle me but I will never get used to the sight of those jets hitting the towers. ;(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I was a firefighter in Clifton, New Jersey and was working that day. We were having our morning coffee, watching it all unfold on TV and we just couldn't believe what we were seeing. It looked like a scene from a Hollywood movie.   A bunch of our off duty firefighters rounded up their gear and headed for the city.  By the time I had a chance to go the next day, they had so much help that they were telling fire departments to stand down unless you were called.  

I've seen a lot of shit in my 29 years on the department and it takes quite a bit to rattle me but I will never get used to the sight of those jets hitting the towers. ;(

I remember too - such horrific scenes that you will never forget. 

The first that I heard of it was when I had just gotten out of the shower upstairs at my parents', where I had spent a couple of days, and my mother shouted up the stairs, "Turn on the TV, a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center!". And then of course between that moment and the second plane hitting, everybody on that news program was just kind of helplessly trying to piece together and figure out what the hell had just happened. Their first reaction was that this must have been some sort of horrible accident. And then I saw the second plane come in on live TV like many people, and for a split second or two I honestly thought my TV was on the wrong channel and that I was watching some sort of weird, bad taste daytime TV action movie. And then the first tower came down and I was just sitting there in complete shock with my mouth open. One of those rare moments in life when what you're seeing with your eyes is so utterly unbelievable that you kind of doubt reality itself for a moment.