Why was there no Michael Jackson music in Vice?

BunMVO

Michael Jackson, Janet Jacket, Prince, Journey, George Michael, Culture Club, Miami Sound Machine, Bon Jovi, and so many other classic 80's artists that were never played on MV.

1 hour ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Michael Jackson, Janet Jacket, Prince, Journey, George Michael, Culture Club, Miami Sound Machine, Bon Jovi, and so many other classic 80's artists that were never played on MV.

Honorable mentions: 

- We hear MJ in the pilot on the “Somebody’s Watching Me” chorus

- “Glamorous Life” in Home Invaders is sort of a Prince song (he wrote it, sang some vocals, and played a few of the instruments)

And there was Bon Jovi (straight up) in the El Viejo teaser.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

They ignored entire genres. No Van Halen, no AC/DC, no Scorpions...I could go on. But it doesn't really matter in the end. It was the original music that really made MV stand out in my view. I can only really think of one other show that regularly did original music for each episode: I Spy. And that was back in the '60s.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Although many great artists were absent from Vice, I was introduced to so many great songs from artists I never would’ve found otherwise.  “The Edge of Town” by the Truth,  “State of Emergency” by Cactus World News and  “Twenty Killer Hurtz” by Gene loves Jezebel to name a few.”

• Like 2

Going a lil off topic but girls just wanna have fun on the pilot was a cover version and if yes, why didnt they use the original one?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Going a lil off topic but girls just wanna have fun on the pilot was a cover version and if yes, why didnt they use the original one?

Money

• Like 1

I like the fact that they used more off the radar, obscure bands instead of the mainstream music, it's another reason to what makes the show unique.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I like the fact that they used more off the radar, obscure bands instead of the mainstream music, it's another reason to what makes the show unique.

Exactly! :clap:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

And they had taste when they picked those "off the radar" bands...unlike far too many shows.

Like Jan Hammer, Fred Lyle was a cast member for me. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

And they had taste when they picked those "off the radar" bands...unlike far too many shows.

So many great Australian bands featured as well as helping Tina Turner extensively in the fall of 1984 with her reemergence in the pop world. 
Tim Truman was essential also. In the Florida Keys even today you hear Inxs played a lot.

• Like 1

Yeah, so many great songs and artists that I would have never been exposed to had they gone with just the Popular top tens of the period.

• 9 months later...

Probrably very expensive to get the rights to feature Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie etc. In 1984 and 1985 they were so mainstream and there music was everywhere — so I think it a good choice Michael Jackson songs didnt  appear in Miami Vice.

They did feature Lionel Richie’s fall 1983 smash “All Night Long ( All Night ) “ in the pilot extensively but it was not the original version. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1