What are those dark cigarettes smoked by Frank Mosca?

BunMVO

They appear in both “Contempt of Court” and “Blood and Roses” where Mosca does. They look like cigarette-shaped cigars. Anyone have any insight? I’m very curious since the only cigarettes you see these days are white, at least in the US. Probably due to some FDA restrictions that they can’t vary much, as they’d say they were trying to be more appealing or something.

• Like 1

When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, a neighbor smoked similar dark-colored cigarettes.  My father smoked Marlboro.  I haven't thought about that for 30+ years!  I didn't know what kind they were at the time, but I found this.  

1.jpg

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, a neighbor smoked similar dark-colored cigarettes.  My father smoked Marlboro.  I haven't thought about that for 30+ years!  I didn't know what kind they were at the time, but I found this.  

1.jpg

Hmm, looks similar. I just thought they might have been some kind of herbal cigarette or something. I also thought that the FDA restricted them from having much variation in cigarette design.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

There were a couple of British imports that were also long and black. Can't remember the brands off the top of my head right now, but you got them in specialty tobacco stores.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

There were a couple of British imports that were also long and black. Can't remember the brands off the top of my head right now, but you got them in specialty tobacco stores.

That could be. They might be clove or something.

1 hour ago, pmconroy said:

That could be. They might be clove or something.

They weren't cloves. I actually bought them for a time, and I hated cloves (had a friend who smoked those and they always reeked to me). Sobraine Black Russians was one of the brands. Those had gold around the filters, but there were others that didn't. I was buying these in the late '80s so I know they were available at that time.