What are your worst phobias?

BunMVO

Totally off topic, but this crossed my mind. Anyone have intense, irrational fears? Mine are:

1. Selachophobia (fear of sharks)
  2. Thalassophobia (fear of deep, dark water)

They're pretty closely related, but those are my most intense fears. Which is ironic considering that I want to live near the ocean like Sonny!

slight vertigo. i don't have a black out in front of the emptiness. but i have to stay concentrated, and be real careful

Edited by jpm1

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

slight vertigo. i don't have a black out in front of the emptiness. but i have to stay concentrated, and be real careful

I suffered from vertigo for 6 months after my fall off a roof two years ago.  Awful sick feeling.  Felt like the world was spinning and nothing I could do to stop it.  So I do fear it happening again. 

If the computer that I’m working on all these covers with crashed...that would really suck. It wouldn’t be the first time :) 

My last computer went haywire right after I finished “Larry and Stan”, hence the long hiatus and disinterest in continuing with the music. 

Luckily I had the files backed up, and I’m able to use them with my current setup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

If the computer that I’m working on all these covers with crashed...that would really suck. It wouldn’t be the first time :) 

My last computer went haywire right after I finished “Larry and Stan”, hence the long hiatus and disinterest in continuing with the music. 

Luckily I had the files backed up, and I’m able to use them with my current setup. 

Your covers are pretty great. For the longest time, I thought they were legitimate Jan Hammer scores. Don't let it go to your head! :D

I can imagine that would cause some major anxiety.

Edited by pmconroy
I somehow missed the part that you had a backup option the first read.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jpm1 said:

Vertigo? Isn't that like you get dizzy and disoriented at tall heights?

4 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Vertigo? Isn't that like you get dizzy and disoriented at tall heights?

it's not exactly tall heights. it's when you are in a tall height, and you watch the emptiness below. i think it's a kind of extreme fear of not judging the situation fast enough, which implies a too fast thinking. you mind is disoriented, and you can loose control of your body if you watch the emptiness too long

Edited by jpm1

• Administrators

Putting my life-long anxiety disorder and my PTSD aside - Airplanes and Skyscrapers were my greatest fears. 

• Like 1

I've always had a bit of a fear of heights. Going up high rise buidlings and all that kind of thing has always given me just a very slight cold sweat. A while ago, I visited my aunt, and where she lives, they have a historic water tower that's 150 feet tall and has an open wooden staircase on the inside of it, so that you are always aware how high above ground you are while you are going up those creaky old stairs. That was an...erm... interesting experience for me... :)

I also really don't like flying that much, not sure if it's an outright phobia, but I can't say I ever fully enjoy the experience. But somehow, while I am sitting inside an airplane, I usually manage to forget the fact that I'm in an aluminum tube 30,000 feet above ground that's traveling at 500 mph... :p but I still sometimes panic at the slightest turbulence. One thing I do is that when there's turbulence, I look at the facial expressions of the flight attendants. If they still look calm, then it can't be that life threatening, even if the whole plane is shaking and rattling like a children's toy... :)

One thing that always gives me some reassurance is that I try to get an aisle seat in the rear part of the plane, and that I count the number of seat rows in front of me to the nearest emergency exit. Statistics show that those seats in the back have the highest chance of survival if there is an accident. They are usually also the seats that nobody wants, so they are easy to get even without a reservation. :p

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I also really don't like flying that much, not sure if it's an outright phobia, but I can't say I ever fully enjoy the experience. But somehow, while I am sitting inside an airplane, I usually manage to forget the fact that I'm in an aluminum tube 30,000 feet above ground that's traveling at 500 mph... :p but I still sometimes panic at the slightest turbulence. One thing I do is that when there's turbulence, I look at the facial expressions of the flight attendants. If they still look calm, then it can't be that life threatening, even if the whole plane is shaking and rattling like a children's toy... :)

One thing that always gives me some reassurance is that I try to get an aisle seat in the rear part of the plane, and that I count the number of seat rows in front of me to the nearest emergency exit. Statistics show that those seats in the back have the highest chance of survival if there is an accident. They are usually also the seats that nobody wants, so they are easy to get even without a reservation. :p

actually i think you have more chances to die crossing the street down where you live, than dying in a plane crash :)

18 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i agree that sometimes turbulences can be anxiety-provoking. but next time think of what i said. stats are on your side ;)

Yes, but I was referring to my post above. Especially about the animals part, which may sound comical, but it's actually terrible to experience that fear. That's the problem, that usually you don't understand it unless you have it yourself. 

Edited by summer84

ok. but.. really? i mean you see a horse, or a cat you feel upset. maybe you could try reading books that treat of similarities with humans, and/or about animal intelligence. i know a couple but they are in french. you may be surprised. in some aspects animals are superior to us, by far

On 10/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, jpm1 said:

ok. but.. really? i mean you see a horse, or a cat you feel upset. maybe you could try reading books that treat of similarities with humans, and/or about animal intelligence. i know a couple but they are in french. you may be surprised. in some aspects animals are superior to us, by far

Yes some are intelligent, but they are still animals and can be unpredictable in their behavior. Also for me it depends on the situation. Edit: Not going into details, but I don't get upset seeing a cat. 

Edited by summer84

vor 5 Stunden schrieb jpm1:

actually i think you have more chances to die crossing the street down where you live, than dying in a plane crash :)

well yeah, that's of course true. But those statistics don't help you if you are in fact unlucky enough to be on a flight that has an accident.

So I just like to improve my odds in the very rare and unlikely event that something does happen.

And again, the "safe" seats are the ones that usually nobody wants. For some reason, everybody wants to have a window seat in the front of the plane or something like that. And so when you get to the airline counter at the airport, you will get an aisle seat in the back of the plane for free and don't have to pay a seat reservation fee ;)

I will be going to the Canary Islands again in two weeks, and on the airline's web site they've got a seat map of the aircraft, and all the rear aisle seats are still unreserved. So there we go ;)

And besides, I'm not going to pay the airline an extra 20 bucks for a seat reservation, when all that kind of thing used to be free not too long ago. It's bad enough that they charge you two bucks for a tiny coffee without refills these days...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I've always had a bit of a fear of heights. Going up high rise buidlings and all that kind of thing has always given me just a very slight cold sweat. A while ago, I visited my aunt, and where she lives, they have a historic water tower that's 150 feet tall and has an open wooden staircase on the inside of it, so that you are always aware how high above ground you are while you are going up those creaky old stairs. That was an...erm... interesting experience for me... :)

Personally, I love flying. I love the excitement and anticipation of taking off, as soon as the plane really starts going and you know it's about to take off. Then when you can feel the plane lifting off the ground and beginning the ascent into the clouds as things below become smaller and smaller. It's an awesome feeling to take part in one of the most marvelous achievements mankind has ever made, traveling thousands of miles in just hours. In the grand scope of history, it's a brand-new thing too, and commercial flying, even newer.

Also it doesn't scare me at all, because you're far likelier to get into a car accident. Flying is one of the safest methods of travel. That's why it doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb pmconroy:

It's an awesome feeling to take part in one of the most marvelous achievements mankind has ever made, traveling thousands of miles in just hours. In the grand scope of history, it's a brand-new thing too, and commercial flying, even newer.

I'm trying to think if maybe at your age I was excited about flying too. Probably, a little bit.

Maybe that kind of thing just goes away with age, and you start to have trouble seeing the upside of being crammed inside a plane with hundreds of other people for five hours :p

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Someone asking me if I’ve seen a terrible movie when it’s clear they love it. 

Or when someone starts talking about anime, which I think is like the worst thing ever

• Haha 3

yeah, that's always a tough one, when somebody talks to you about that one thing they really love, like it's almost their number one favorite thing in the world, but personally, you just think it's all a bunch of nonsense... :) :p

• Haha 1