Regarding Michael Mann...

Den Taylor

Am I the only one who's upset with him for leaving and basically blaming him for the show going down? I realize that other factors led to the show's demise but this was a major one! 
And why didn't he care enough to go back to it once he saw how bad it had gotten? (Season 4) Away from his original vision? (Season 5) Didn't he want to rescue his baby?
I understand that he got involved with another TV series called Crime Story but that was not as good as Vice. And it only ran for two seasons until 1988. So why not go back to Vice after that? Maybe they could have rescued the thing by going for a Season 6 with him back on board....I'm sure he could have pulled it off! (Without neglecting the Zeitgeist of that time)

Other than that of course I'm grateful to him for giving us Miami Vice at all. And those first two seasons - and partly Season 3. Those were really great!

I wish he hadn't decided to step away!

But (in my opinion) in common with a lot of creative people, he seemed (at the time) to be anxious to strike while the iron was hot/ grab the brass ring/ take advantage of the success he'd achieved with MV to do other things and start other projects that maybe he didn't have the money or clout to get off the ground before.  His legacy with MV was set; regardless of the show's ultimate fate, his part in it will forever be remembered as groundbreaking.  He may not have had interest to go back and continue/reframe the saga of Crockett and Tubbs.

If this was his mindset, it's one that we also have seen with some of our favorite actors.  While a Chuck Norris, Roger Moore, or Burt Reynolds may replay essentially similar characters over and over during a successful career (with or without a successful franchise to star in), others, like Don Johnson and Edward James Olmos, have deliberately tried to play a variety of roles instead.  I've also known of writers who say that after a particular book is complete, they don't go back to it later.  That story that was inside of the writer has now been told, and it's over.  Obviously a series writer (say James Patterson) has a somewhat different reaction, but for me, Michael Mann's actions at the time were those of a person who wanted to explore new and different ideas, rather than building on an earlier concept that he'd successfully shepherded through two full TV seasons.

• Like 3

I think some people in entertainment briefly channel something, as did Mann in 1984, while few seem to actually be the channel, like Spielberg and such. 

• Like 1

He left his mark on television with the pastels, designer clothes, cinematography, camera techniques, his certain style of telling stories visually. But I do hate, that he wasn't around much apparently already from the beginning, how I understood it from the statement by the Miami Vice cast and otherwise read, considering the credit he gets and his name is on the end credits saying a Michael Mann production. Although it was because of him, that episodes such as "Made for Each Other" and "Heroes of The Revolution" were made, so it seems, he was occasionally, yet rarely involved and otherwise left all of the control to Dick Wolf.

The Director Thomas Carter also should get credit/and gets credit by Edward James Olmos for setting the tone for the entire series, when it comes to incorporating music to tell a story. He added that extra touch with "In The Air Tonight" sequence directing "The pilot"/"Brother's Keeper." 

I also believe, that he moved on, when he got other offer's and had the chance to work on other projects, such as Crime Story due to the show's succes.

And wasn't it Jamie Fox, who approached Michael Mann with the idea to make the Miami Vice movie?

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

• Administrators
20 hours ago, summer84 said:

And wasn't it Jamie Fox, who approached Michael Mann with the idea to make the Miami Vice movie?

That's what he claims but I don't believe it's ever been confirmed. Personally I think Jamie Fox is a legend in his own mind.

Am 12.10.2018 um 14:04 schrieb vicegirl85:

I wish he hadn't decided to step away!

But (in my opinion) in common with a lot of creative people, he seemed (at the time) to be anxious to strike while the iron was hot/ grab the brass ring/ take advantage of the success he'd achieved with MV to do other things and start other projects that maybe he didn't have the money or clout to get off the ground before. 

I understand that. But he went off to do....what...Crime Story? Seriously? Was there anything else he did at that time? Like a movie or something? Doesn't seemto me that those 2 1/2 seasons of MV really helped him to get where he wanted to be....so he should have cared enough to return to the show when it was going down. :( 

Zitat

Although it was because of him, that episodes such as "Made for Each Other" and "Heroes of The Revolution" were made, 

Which really speaks for him! You know, develop the characters of EVERY team member and make the series more three dimensional. He did the same with Crime Story. MV was supposed to be about an entire team with the main focus on C&T of course....but after Season 3 or rather already during it the team members got pushed back more and more. Until they were just extras, basically.... :/

Zitat

Uhh ok...so a second grade actor comes along and tells Mann he always wanted to play Tubbs or whatever. And he goes "sure, great! Lets do a movie!" Was Mann desperate for cash or something?  It sure couldn't have been the cocaine...because that was gone with the 80s. LOL, sorry folks, got my cynical stride tonight.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

He should never have left, he was the heart and soul of the show, he supervised every episode in 1&2. His style, music, cinematography was one of the reasons why we loved the show and I also thought Don Johnson acted much better when Mann was there as well, he was a burnt out cop, who smoked and drank too much, a kind of brooding performance, season 3+ that approach was taken away, Crockett after 2 was way too happy and optimistic in his job.

Mann's 'Miami Vice' is Vice.

Edited by RedDragon86

although he moved on to Crime Story he was still involved because i remember last year somebody posted about one of the writers who came on in 1987 and it was clear he had a lot of interaction with Mann.

i think John Nicollela leaving after season 2 probably had an effect also.

On 10/12/2018 at 8:04 AM, vicegirl85 said:

But (in my opinion) in common with a lot of creative people, he seemed (at the time) to be anxious to strike while the iron was hot/ grab the brass ring/ take advantage of the success he'd achieved with MV to do other things and start other projects that maybe he didn't have the money or clout to get off the ground before.

This is exactly it.  He suddenly had a chance to make big budget TV and movies.  He had no choice but to go for it.

I don't believe that Mann was personally supervising every episode in S2.  He was directing Manhunter in 1985-6, not mention producing the TV movie Band of the Hand.  I think he drifted away from the show at times during S2.

• Like 2