Article on a man restoring a 1986 Miami Vice Edition Scarab

Scot from S.C.

I am happy to share and contribute with my fellow Vicers. :) I am glad that it was restored. I learned a bit from the article, and I love the colors.

I love this boat, but probably it drinks fuel a lot.... And i visited the scarab web site...all boats looks like more a boat from the Flipper series with steroids than a real MV scarabs... 

Edited by Mr. Calderon

Hey guys. Great article and funny thing is that coincidentally I was at Sam's shop back in March of this year. I saw the Scarab and it was remarkable!!!

The engines were in, but not plumbed yet, and the upholstery was just about done. He was wet sanding a bit of the gel on the front nose area around the bow, but the colours looked fabulous.

BTW...I bought his old engines and they are presently in my boat and I had a great summer of fun this past season. Those 572's he put in are Awesome! I got my hands on his 440's so I actually upgraded a bit (not as much as Sam) but I am very happy with my purchase and my boat runs like a dream again.

I am trying to talk the guys to bringing their boats to the Kingston Poker Run next August. It is quite an event as it is the largest gathering of Go-Fast boats in North America now. A few years ago we had 127 boats show up and last year there were 87 I believe. The weather was fabulous...perfect boating conditions and a great view of the "Thousand Islands"

Anyway I hope to get a "Miami Vice Theme" going as the entire main street is blocked off to traffic and all the Go-Fast's are parked there on trailers for the spectators to see. There are food vendors and live music in front of City Hall and across the street in the park where the docks are. I have to get the guys committed before I approach Bill Taylor - the guy in charge of the Poker Runs America event. It would be great if we could get all the boats together!!!

All I need to do now is find a couple of guys, one with a Daytona and another with a Testarossa to show up for the display

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, VICE365 said:

Hey good morning Stinger, What date and where is this going to be held?

It's always in August usually the second or third weekend but usually the second. You will have to check the schedule at the website "Poker Runs America" if your in the States or if your in Ontario just pick up a copy of "Power Boating Canada" at any newsstand.

I have been four times now and it is fabulous! I have been to many Poker runs all over the place but this one is the biggest. Last year I ran my boat up in Oriilia for the Lake Simcoe run and the weather was perfect and a great day for all. We had 47 boats show up for that event. I missed "Rice Lake run" this past sept because of work but I heard the weather sucked and the water was really low for some reason and some boats bottomed out? That is a fun run because you get to twist and turn in the river and once your in the lake...open throttle!!!

By the way we usually have two or three helicopters taking photos and film so when you go to the PRA page check the links for pics and video.

Have fun...

Forgot to mention I just met a guy who bought a Stinger but the previous owner messed up the paint job and painted all the wrong stripes and colours. I sent this gentleman a plethora of pics of my boat (since it is original from 1985) so he can repaint the boat properly over the winter. I hope he gets it done in time as I have invited him to join in the fun.

Wouldn't it be cool to see 2 Stingers and 2 Scarabs all lined up on the main street on Friday night during the party? I hope I can find cars too?!?

It's funny that I am a simple humble man and I own this boat. The guys who run these Poker Runs own million dollar 140mph Donzi's, Formula's, Nortech's, Scarab's etc, and these gentlemen and one lady, are entrepreneurs, CEO's of companies and very wealthy people. I am a regular working stiff who is a boating enthusiast, and they all know who I am.  It is remarkable how many of these people say to me that they got interested in power boating from seeing the episode of the "Great McCarthy" season one episode 8 of Miami Vice.

Watching this episode sparked their interest and they bought boats. I just drooled for twenty years until I found my boat, and went heavily into debt to get it. It's paid for now and I enjoy it immensely! The relationship to that one episode has sparked a lot of interest in the sport for decades now.