Who is your favorite villain/antagonist?

BunMVO

Sorry if this topic already exists somewhere, but I’m rewatching the series, almost finished, on World of Trouble. And I like the way Crockett and Tubbs greeted Al Lombard like an old friend, and I thought their chemistry in the episodes they shared was some of the best of the series.

So obviously, Lombard is my favorite ‘villain’, even though he seemed more like a good guy than a bad guy. I know he as a character was a pretty bad guy, being the underboss of the Librizzi organized-crime family, but I liked him a lot.

On 11/3/2018 at 5:33 AM, pmconroy said:

Sorry if this topic already exists somewhere, but I’m rewatching the series, almost finished, on World of Trouble. And I like the way Crockett and Tubbs greeted Al Lombard like an old friend, and I thought their chemistry in the episodes they shared was some of the best of the series.

So obviously, Lombard is my favorite ‘villain’, even though he seemed more like a good guy than a bad guy. I know he as a character was a pretty bad guy, being the underboss of the Librizzi organized-crime family, but I liked him a lot.

Did you believe him when he said that he had nothing to do with Barbara Carrow getting killed? I can never be sure about it. 

On 11/5/2018 at 9:54 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Did you believe him when he said that he had nothing to do with Barbara Carrow getting killed? I can never be sure about it. 

I completely forgot about that thing - I just got done rewatching the series and it has been a pretty long time since I saw season 1. I'll have to rewatch.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:26 AM, Jerry B. said:

Agreed, Lombard is my favorite too. A bad guy with a code of conduct, some ethics, somehow. And I've always been a fan of Dennis Farina too.

Yeah, he just seems likable. Also probably has to do with the fact that I have an affinity for mob movies and shows (Goodfellas, Sopranos, etc.) and he is an Italian-American gangster like them. He was a great actor for sure.

Lombard was one of the most dimensional.  He says Barbara Carrow "wasn't my idea" but that doesn't mean he didn't approve the hit.  If they actually followed a chain of command then chances are he did.  He also says "it was bad for business" and "caused a lot of heat" etc which sounds like guilt to me.  Especially when he starts saying he did a lot of bad things.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 4:22 AM, pmconroy said:

I completely forgot about that thing - I just got done rewatching the series and it has been a pretty long time since I saw season 1. I'll have to rewatch.

Its been a while since I watched the show, maybe 2 years but this always seems to stick in my my mind, I have just started rewatching it again, "Heart of Darkness" is next :)

How do you watch the show, once a week or consecutively? personally I finish at "Sons and Lovers" I kind of gave up on watching 3, 4 and 5, so I take my time with 1&2 by watching an episode once every weekend. 

Edited by RedDragon86

3 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Lombard was one of the most dimensional.  He says Barbara Carrow "wasn't my idea" but that doesn't mean he didn't approve the hit.  If they actually followed a chain of command then chances are he did.  He also says "it was bad for business" and "caused a lot of heat" etc which sounds like guilt to me.  Especially when he starts saying he did a lot of bad things.

Great input, thanks. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 8:09 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Its been a while since I watched the show, maybe 2 years but this always seems to stick in my my mind, I have just started rewatching it again, "Heart of Darkness" is next :)

How do you watch the show, once a week or consecutively? personally I finish at "Sons and Lovers" I kind of gave up on watching 3, 4 and 5, so I take my time with 1&2 by watching an episode once every weekend. 

I used to watch it almost every day, but now that I've watched the whole series twice, I've determined that when I watch it again I'm only going to really bother with season 1 and 2. I plan on watching episodes over like:

• Brother's Keeper
  • The Prodigal Son
  • Definitely Miami
  • Glades
  • Calderone's Return
  • Cool Runnin'
  • No Exit
  • Evan
  • Smuggler's Blues
  • Milk Run
  • Out Where the Buses Don't Run
  • Buddies
  • Yankee Dollar
  • Sons and Lovers
  • Payback

And so on and so forth. The best episodes in my personal opinion.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 11/8/2018 at 4:00 AM, Bren10 said:

Lombard is also one of the few who appear more than once, making it hard to compare him to many other villains honestly (except for maybe Maynard). I don't count Calderone because he never really does much aside from try to look menacing (give him an underwater hideout or a white Persian and you've got a Bond villain). In my view Vice's villains became progressively more multi-faceted as the series went on, but they never gave them enough time to actually develop. Sort of like what they did to most of the characters.

As for Lombard's responsibility, DF would have encountered criminals like that during his time as a cop. Most of them are very good at dissembling. He might have said "make the problem go away" but since he didn't kill her personally it wasn't technically his idea. They're very good at distancing themselves from the results of their orders, and the structure is set up to insulate them from legal repercussions in any case. He can say it was bad for business without feeling guilty about it...maybe he was more annoyed that it was handled in a public way as opposed to something more private. It could have been resignation about the (to him) idiocy of his people in how they carried out his wishes. Wise guys are very, very good at lying to themselves and others about what they do, so it's hard to say with any certainty the character felt anything about the whole affair.

• Like 1

Most impressive villain - Fuente (for not getting arrested or killed and the way he does his business, very skillfully)

Most liked - Lombard

Most evil - Traynor

Edited by RedDragon86