LOWENBRAU; SPONSOR TO MIAMI VICE?

COOPER&BURNETT

I couldn't help notice all the LOWENBRAU products and logos all over MIAMI VICE. In FLORENCE ITALY, Danny Tepper drinks and carrys it in the party for the sponsors. His race clothes show the name prominately (as that is his sponsor) on the front and back, shots in the race area show Huge banners, and signs everywhere. The pit crew walk by in shots with the LOWENBRAU name and logos showing. In PHIL THE SHILL, Crockett drinks a LOWENBRAU at Phil's three day bash party. LOTS of airtime for LOWENBRAU!Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

• Administrators

Maybe we should have a Lowenbrau screen shot thread?We can make screen shots of all the beers we see in MV eps.(Just kidding, I'm already committed to another 6 month project! :p)

And at the meeting with Eddie Kay. Guess what beer he is drinking there?

Eingefügtes BildDon't forget he drank one on the boat in SHADOW IN THE DARK.There's more examples too.

• Administrators

Like I said in the other thread on Sonny's drinks, look at the label, it is always turned away from the camera. Even though we know what it is.I'm betting that there was a "limited" sponsorship from Lowenbrau to MV. It is the only beer I can recall seeing on the show that is "shown".Yes there was the name on the car, suits, jackets...I also wonder if and this is a big "if", there wasn't something written about showing alcoholic labels on TV shows at that time? I have no idea why, but unless it is about the advertising only, you never actually see the full label.Even today on the food network shows, the labels are always turned away from the camera. Although the can of "kitchen spray" that looks remarkably like PAM and has the same colors as a can of PAM, is not clearly shown.Just my worthless two cents here.

I believe you to be correct, however, I think one time the label was seen from the side.

• Administrators

I don't know? What scene is it?I can't recall him drinking any other beer other than Lowenbrau.

That's the scene in the bar in PAYBACK.Your right. I too don't recall seeing him drink any beer other than Lowenbrau.

My photo from the "A PEEK INTO CROCKETT'S CLOSET" thread.Eingefügtes BildNotice how I had the logo be reflected on his lighter.

Does anyone recall seeing any commercials for LOWENBRAU BEER during the commercial breaks when MIAMI VICE was on the air? I don't recall, as I wasn't trying to make a connection back then. I know other beer companies showed commercials, and I know I saw Lowenbrau commercials on TV during that era, but just don't recall if it was during the commercial breaks for MIAMI VICE.

• Administrators

Yep, but the bottle actually just says beer on it.I've found a lot of generic beers that Sonny drank.You can see them in the new glossary thread on "What did Sonny Drink?"Click ---> here

Thanks Timm! :thumbsup:I didn't know about "What did Sonny Drink?"The glossary is growing too fast for me, I can't keep up with it!

• 2 months later...

My photo from the "A PEEK INTO CROCKETT'S CLOSET" thread.Eingefügtes BildNotice how I had the logo be reflected on his lighter.

Nice setup on the lighter reflecto....too bad you couldn't an era-specific case back from '84-'86 with full foil tops

Nice setup on the lighter reflecto....too bad you couldn't an era-specific case back from '84-'86 with full foil tops...similar to Michelob ... in the day, and Becks ... in the day.... all victims of value-engineering to lower mfg costs due to pricepoint pressures

• Administrators

I just noticed the reflection. How cool! I thought that was on the lighter itself when I first saw it.Great job with the camera. :clap:

Product placement is everything.The crowd that follows sports car racing and F1 racing sometimes gets the "wine and cheese crowd" label. As an imported beer, they used sports car racing to try to target a more affluent crowd, and it was a Lowenbrau sponsored IMSA team (Holbert Racing) that got featured in that episode, because they worked alongside the MV people. They allowed the cameras to be attached to their car for the on-track footage. And that's why you saw them in the Flornce Italy episode so prominently. I think the rest of the Lowenbrau product placements does not show evidence of a paid deal, as it never gets credited anywhere. Also - other beer labels seemed to show up in other episodes.

Coop, you've got the Lowenbrau car pictured on Page 1, so here's a little history behind this famous MV prop from the S2 episode Florence Italy.1985 Porsche 962-HR1 - 'The Lowenbrau Car'Al Holbert's Spectacular Three-Time IMSA Championship Winner"Instantly recognizable as ‘The Lowenbrau Car”, 962-HR1 and its predecessor (962-103) are by far the most successful and recognizable sports cars ever to race in the legendary IMSA GTP Series. Constructed by Holbert Racing under license from Porsche AG, HR1 is also an active tribute to Al Holbert who was, almost inarguably, the greatest sports car driver and team owner of his time.The achievements of HR1 are without parallel and include an incredible three IMSA championships, ten overall wins and eighteen podium finishes. Holbert’s co-drivers in HR1 were Derek Bell, Chip Robinson and Al Unser, Jr."This car was damn fast, in no small part because they had super talented drivers.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild962-HR1 Competition Highlights:1985 IMSA GTP Drivers Championship1985 Porsche Cup USA 1986 IMSA GTP Drivers Championship1987 IMSA GTP Manufacturers Championship (2nd in driver points)1987 Daytona 24 Hours Overall Winner 6 Poles including its first race in 1985 and last race in 198819 podium finishes 11 overall winsIt was Holbert Racing and Al Holbert that played such a large part in this episode with loaning the Lowenbrau car for use in the filming of the episode. Al Holbert would be killed in a tragic accident only 2 years later, and was praised for a last heroic act of skill. On September 30, 1988, Holbert was at the IMSA Columbus Ford Dealers 500. That evening, Holbert was fatally injured when his privately owned propeller driven Piper PA-60 aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff near Columbus, Ohio when a clamshell door was not closed. Holbert succussfully diverted his aircraft away from a group of houses it was heading toward. IMSA would later retire his car number - #14.

I just noticed the reflection. How cool! I thought that was on the lighter itself when I first saw it.Great job with the camera. :clap:

I thought people would mistakenly think that, that's why I made it a point to show it was a creative, stylish move on my part.

1985 Porsche 962-HR1 - 'The Lowenbrau Car'Al Holbert's Spectacular Three-Time IMSA Championship Winner"Instantly recognizable as ‘The Lowenbrau Carâ€, 962-HR1 and its predecessor (962-103) are by far the most successful and recognizable sports cars ever to race in the legendary IMSA GTP Series. Constructed by Holbert Racing under license from Porsche AG, HR1 is also an active tribute to Al Holbert who was, almost inarguably, the greatest sports car driver and team owner of his time.The achievements of HR1 are without parallel and include an incredible three IMSA championships, ten overall wins and eighteen podium finishes. Holbert’s co-drivers in HR1 were Derek Bell, Chip Robinson and Al Unser, Jr."This car was damn fast, in no small part because they had super talented drivers.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild962-HR1 Competition Highlights:1985 IMSA GTP Drivers Championship1985 Porsche Cup USA 1986 IMSA GTP Drivers Championship1987 IMSA GTP Manufacturers Championship (2nd in driver points)1987 Daytona 24 Hours Overall Winner 6 Poles including its first race in 1985 and last race in 198819 podium finishes 11 overall winsIt was Holbert Racing and Al Holbert that played such a large part in this episode with loaning the Lowenbrau car for use in the filming of the episode. Al Holbert would be killed in a tragic accident only 2 years later, and was praised for a last heroic act of skill. On September 30, 1988, Holbert was at the IMSA Columbus Ford Dealers 500. That evening, Holbert was fatally injured when his privately owned propeller driven Piper PA-60 aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff near Columbus, Ohio when a clamshell door was not closed. Holbert succussfully diverted his aircraft away from a group of houses it was heading toward. IMSA would later retire his car number - #14.

Great info!!:clap:

Nice setup on the lighter reflecto....too bad you couldn't an era-specific case back from '84-'86 with full foil tops...similar to Michelob ... in the day' date=' and Becks ... in the day.... all victims of value-engineering to lower mfg costs due to pricepoint pressures[/quote']Well, they just don't make 'em like they used to. These beers are hard enough to find as it is. Only one store chain in town seems to carry it. I still drink this beer BECAUSE of Crockett drinking it on MIAMI VICE. :tasse_prost:

Nice setup on the lighter reflecto....too bad you couldn't an era-specific case back from '84-'86 with full foil tops

I laughed tonight reviewing this picture...I don't smoke, but thought ... hmm looks like the Lowe:y is in the refrig...the Luckys are there..?? hmm, maybe to keep them fresh..but why would the Zippo be there too ???? reduce evaporative on the fluid.??..then realized it was a wire-frame shelving unit....not a refrig deck...HA HA...Grab another HEINEY (for me...thanks)..this is good.P.S. At 'times' I have LOST (then) found in the morning, my Persols in the refrig ON-TOP of a late night purchase 12pk, (obviously put away when not needing the Persols) FREAKTIME when temporary loss of PERSOLS......