E Guitar on Miami Night

Daytona74

So I've been listening to "Miami Night" countless times recently because it is just an outstanding, remarkable piece of electronic music and as such probably the best one I have heard in a long time. And the lead guitar is just amazing in its own right.

Jan Hammer said in an interview that he did the lead guitar using a Korg synth and a Trinity pickup.

https://www.emusician.com/artists/interview-jan-hammer-on-seasons-pt-1

Zitat

The Korg O1/W and the Trinity are my go-to instruments to get a lead guitar sound. I think that one came from the Trinity. I printed it straight out of the keyboard and then did some post-processing using Guitar Rig and some limiting within Pro Tools.

So then what's the setup here really, how does it work? Is the guitar section then essentially a guitar sound played on a synth, like he did on tracks like "Airport Swap"?

12 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

So I've been listening to "Miami Night" countless times recently because it is just an outstanding, remarkable piece of electronic music and as such probably the best one I have heard in a long time. And the lead guitar is just amazing in its own right.

Jan Hammer said in an interview that he did the lead guitar using a Korg synth and a Trinity pickup.

https://www.emusician.com/artists/interview-jan-hammer-on-seasons-pt-1

So then what's the setup here really, how does it work? Is the guitar section then essentially a guitar sound played on a synth, like he did on tracks like "Airport Swap"?

I love “Miami : Night”. It’s a fine piece.

@Daytona74 The O1/W is a successor to the M1 synth, and the Trinity synth went on to become the Triton. The M1 and Triton were two of Korg’s best synthesizers, the latter Jan still performs with exclusively today (even though introduced in 1997!). I have a Triton and it still sounds amazing.

The only actual guitar in the instance mentioned above is the one Korg used to sample during the sound design for that patch. Jan is merely dialing those patches (or “Programs” for Korg synths) up, and letting it rip. Since the early 80s, Jan spent much less time designing sounds (as so many ready-made patches became available) and more time with other aspects such as layering and adding effects. 

Although I only enjoy his 70s and 80s music personally, I do applaud him for always employing  the latest technologies and programs, such as the incredible Spectrasonics instruments on his latest release. 

Edited by Dadrian

13 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Daytona74 The O1/W is a successor to the M1 synth, and the Trinity synth went on to become the Triton. The M1 and Triton were two of Korg’s best synthesizers, the latter Jan still performs with exclusively today (even though introduced in 1997!). I have a Triton and it still sounds amazing.

The only actual guitar in the instance mentioned above is the one Korg used to sample during the sound design for that patch. Jan is merely dialing those patches (or “Programs” for Korg synths) up, and letting it rip. Since the early 80s, Jan spent much less time designing sounds (as so many ready-made patches became available) and more time with other aspects such as layering and adding effects. 

Although I only enjoy his 70s and 80s music personally, I do applaud him for always employing  the latest technologies and programs, such as the incredible Spectrasonics instruments on his latest release. 

:xmas:Great Jan and a great year for him. Merry Christmas Dadrian , best wishes to you.=):xmas:

• Thanks 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

Yeah, the 80s is definitely still where it's at with Jan Hammer. I kind of lost interest a bit when his sound became less edgy and I guess less Vice-like in the 90s. What he did back then was very polished, and not bad music as it goes, but it was missing the spark of the Vice days. 

His new album is indeed a bit hit and miss, but he still knocked it out of the ballpark with "Miami Night" as far as I am concerned. The harmonies are sublime and the guitar is just out of this world.

I listen to it a lot lately while driving through the windswept rainy downtown steeets here at night. Even the 20 year old Bose system in my equally old Audi can give you serious goose bumps when you turn this track up a fair bit :cool:

Very happy Christmas to you from me too, Dadrian :xmas:

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Yeah, the 80s is definitely still where it's at with Jan Hammer. I kind of lost interest a bit when his sound became less edgy and I guess less Vice-like in the 90s. What he did back then was very polished, and not bad music as it goes, but it was missing the spark of the Vice days. 

His new album is indeed a bit hit and miss, but he still knocked it out of the ballpark with "Miami Night" as far as I am concerned. The harmonies are sublime and the guitar is just out of this world.

I listen to it a lot lately while driving through the windswept rainy downtown steeets here at night. Even the 20 year old Bose system in my equally old Audi can give you serious goose bumps when you turn this track up a fair bit :cool:

Very happy Christmas to you from me too, Dadrian :xmas:

:xmas:Great Daytona74 , Merry Christmas to you :xmas:

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Listening again to Miami :Night , Jan Hammer’s new single from last Summer - just wow - the best.:cheers:=)

I heard this on Pandora recently. It was a pleasant surprise. Great song.