Winter blues

BunMVO

21 minutes ago, damrod said:

We made it past the shortest day of the year and now the days will get longer little by little.

You're right. Minnesota has extremely long, tough winters though. Last winter lasted until almost May and we got hit with the worst snowstorm of the season in mid-April. Oh well. We're almost to the "Wednesday" of winter.

The nice thing is that our brutal winters make the return of summer that much sweeter.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

You're right. Minnesota has extremely long, tough winters though. Last winter lasted until almost May and we got hit with the worst snowstorm of the season in mid-April. Oh well. We're almost to the "Wednesday" of winter.

The nice thing is that our brutal winters make the return of summer that much sweeter.

Sorry to hear about the extreme winter weather you have. Just remember, that no matter how cold it gets, sooner or later there is a warm breeze coming in. :):thumbsup:

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Sorry to hear about the extreme winter weather you have. Just remember, that no matter how cold it gets, sooner or later there is a warm breeze coming in. :):thumbsup:

That was clever, I chuckled. Lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pmconroy said:

I do find the climate very appealing, but I actually couldn't see myself in Los Angeles or California for that matter. The water's cold. I won't get political because I hate that, but the state is as far "west" as you can get, literally and figuratively. I wouldn't fit in at all.

And actually it's not the population that would bother me, it's the people that live in South Florida. I actually like the humid heat, it feels so exotic being surrounded by the turquoise waters. I'm a pasty white Irish guy and Miami is very Latin, it wouldn't feel right to me to live there. I have plenty of time to find a new home in sunny Florida, but I will do plenty of looking around to see what area would suit me best. 

Thanks for your wishes. I hope that you retire to your dream home! :D

I'm glad somebody likes the humid heat!  ;)  I couldn't stand it when I was in South Beach with a friend back in in the early 90's.  I'm quick to sweat to cool off, just like my father was.  He always said it was because he came from a cold climate, but it has to be genetic in my case.  I was about your age when we visited and it was the beginning of summer, very humid and pretty warm.  I remember going into the water to cool off and it was like 85 degrees!  The only saving grace was getting wet then getting out and the breeze cooling us down.  That worked well.  You're right about our water being cold.  I saw the board at the pier yesterday and it said 62.  It usually peaks around 70 in early September, but that cool water feels so good in August when you get 85+ degree days.  People from inland flood to the beaches when the summer heat hits and it breaks 100.

SoCal is very highly Latino like south Florida.  Less Cubans and Dominicans for sure, but many of Mexican and Central American ancestry.  One of my best friends from work is Salvadoran.  I really like living in all the diversity and my Spanish is way less crappy now, after years of teaching many Latino students.  I've read a lot about the similarities between Miami and LA over the years.  My family is Irish too, and English.  My grandmother was born in the north of England and her father in Dublin.  Five of my eight great-grandparents were born in Ireland and the others England.  Living my whole life here, I'm not exactly a pasty white Irish guy.  I'm more a slightly tanned Irish guy.  At least as tanned as Irish skin can get.  LOL!    

All I can say is move to a warm climate BEFORE you get married and have kids.  Otherwise you will never move. 

I'm 52 with a wife and two kids (daughters 11 and 14).  It is too late for me to move because my kids like their "lives" here in the Midwest and, most importantly, my successful business is here.   Honestly, winters don't bother me now like they did when I was your age.  When you are young you are still going out and doing things.  Weather can make a difference.  BUT, warmer climates tend to be more expensive assuming that you want to live in a nice neighborhood.  My house, probably worth $850K is n the best part of Milwaukee, would be $3 million in LA and at least $2 million in Miami.  THAT is the trade-off.