Crockett's home

S.FL84

Crockett's (and coincidentally to keep production costs down for a show that hadn't been picked up for another season yet) home is a great example of how ridiculously inflated home prices are in Miami.  I think MV is probably THE biggest catalyst that initially caused the boom.  Interestingly, before MV Miami was just another American city and the home prices reflected as they were pretty similar to any other American city its size...in 1984.  For example Crockett's home sold in 1979 for $71,000 in 1979....Now its almost a freakin' million.  Sonny would have to be on Calderone's payroll to afford it now.  

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/550-NE-51st-St-Miami-FL-33137/43829909_zpid/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

It's a shame he doesn't have a shot of the exterior for the earlier scenes. All we see is the house when it was Wheeler's.

We never see the exterior of Caroline's house.

8 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

Crockett's (and coincidentally to keep production costs down for a show that hadn't been picked up for another season yet) home is a great example of how ridiculously inflated home prices are in Miami.  I think MV is probably THE biggest catalyst that initially caused the boom.  Interestingly, before MV Miami was just another American city and the home prices reflected as they were pretty similar to any other American city its size...in 1984.  For example Crockett's home sold in 1979 for $71,000 in 1979....Now its almost a freakin' million.  Sonny would have to be on Calderone's payroll to afford it now. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/550-NE-51st-St-Miami-FL-33137/43829909_zpid/

The feeding frenzy in South Florida real estate is mostly restricted to desirable properties.  Caroline's house is ordinary in size and style, but it is located in an affluent neighborhood near Biscayne Bay.

Caroline's house is nearly identical to the house we see in Golden Triangle.  That house only sells for $300K because it is in a different neighborhood

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12635-NE-Miami-Pl-North-Miami-FL-33161/43972070_zpid/

Edited by airtommy

4 hours ago, airtommy said:

The feeding frenzy in South Florida real estate is mostly restricted to desirable properties.  Caroline's house is ordinary in size and style, but it is located in an affluent neighborhood near Biscayne Bay.

The house we see in Golden Triangle is nearly identical to the Caroline's house.  It only sells for $300K because it is in a different neighborhood

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12635-NE-Miami-Pl-North-Miami-FL-33161/43972070_zpid/

Location, location, location.  It's a real estate proverb, but people still seem shocked when seemingly similar houses have dramatically different prices because they're in different locations.  That's how the market works.  My family lives in a smallish 1300 sq. ft. 2-bedroom condo with no yard or garage (only parking spaces), yet it's worth about $750,000.  Many people would say that price is crazy, but we live on a marina (my sailboat is slipped downstairs) in a beautiful climate in Southern California.  We're able to walk and ride our bikes to all kinds of cool places and participate in outdoor activities in beautiful weather pretty much year round.  We could have three times the space in some other locations, or conversely, the same space at a third the price, but then we would have none of those things.  Living on the water in a desirable climate is something desired by many people so the prices are high.  Homes in locations lacking these things have comparatively lesser value.  Again, it's basic market economics, limited supply or high demand and the price rises, limited demand and high supply and the price decreases.

My overall point was not Caroline's home so much as to what's commonly called the "Vice Effect".  That being the total effect a seemingly run-of-the-mill television show had on Miami.

On 2/14/2019 at 5:14 AM, daytona365 said:

this has been stated before, but I'm not fully convinced. On Wheeler's house, the entrance door is recessed from the front window.  In Caroline's home, the window behind the couch is flush with the door.

There is a window flush with the door on both sides of the door.  On one side it's slightly hidden from view due to the camera angle.

I just studied it closely and my conclusion is that CGlide is right.  This does not look like a set and the interior of Caroline's house matches Wheeler's exterior perfectly.  Note that the door is closer to one window than the other window, it's not centered perfectly.

car6.png.fb8560a7bbf40f29c62b177f92bc7e32.png

car7.png.96110e52da231030bf9a3ca266aef767.png

On 2/9/2019 at 12:38 AM, airtommy said:

We never see the exterior of Caroline's house.

if i'm not wrong, we see Carolina house exterior a bit in the episode of Calderon's hitman. when the killer is shot in front of the house. i could be wrong

1 minute ago, jpm1 said:

if i'm not wrong, we see Carolina house exterior a bit in the episode of Calderon's hitman. when the killer is shot in front of the house. i could be wrong

Yes, but that's a different house (Key Biscayne).  Robbie C was talking about Caroline's house in the pilot.  We never see an exterior shot of that house in that episode.

My point w/ this thread regardless of what house was used in what scene IS the general knowledge of the change thats occured & is still occurring today thirty freakin' yrs later (!) in the Miami//S.Fl. area primarily due to the dramatization done by MV.  It never ceases to amaze me no matter how many times I think about or read about it the change that was all started by a damn TV show in an era when TV was the kiss of death for most movie stars but now MV is STILL affecting society when most movies from 1984 have long been forgotten about.

Edited by S.FL84

for me the inflation is the symptom of an ill economy. this is in part what the French gilets jaunes are complaining about. capitalism promise, politics promise, and the price still grow up and the rich gets richer, and the poor gets poorer, and it's still the same song over and over again. so yeah, to answer the question yeah some things are going weird nowadays, not to say insane. these things have gone to such a point that the collapsology theory is making more, and more adepts everyday here in France. lot of people think we are going into a wall, and the machine can't be stopped in time. i'll try not to be too much politics.

concerning the series, i was a kid in the 80s, and i don't think MV impacted much history. yeah i know sounds like trolling. but personnally i think it's the 80s liberated culture that is at the origin of all this. i mean if i wear flashy t-shirts on a weekly basis it's not because of MV, it's because of the 80s culture. don't get me wrong i consider MV as one of the best TV show ever, if not the best. but from that saying that it has an impact on my everyday life, no. the 80s have an impact on my everyday life, for sure

Edited by jpm1

I think also which MV was just a popular manifestation of the whole cocaine economy that affected south Florida.  Cocaine was the right drug at the right time, much like heroin/opiates are today.  MV was just the right show to dramatize the cocaine world that was exploding in south Florida in the early - mid 1980's.  I'm not saying MV is soley responsible for the explosion, I"m just saying MV was THE vehicle that brought the Miami cocaine world to the rest of the world.  In fact until Time magazine listed Miami as "the most dangerous place on earth no one outside of the area had any real clear idea of what was going on in Miami and is still going on to a degree.  MV gave a then largely innocent "Brady Bunch" middle American a peek into the dark, seedy forbidden, exciting world of drugs, sex, music, fashion.....

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/1981-miamis-deadliest-summer-6565290

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article213425034.html

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

very good articles S.FL84! it's hard not to go politics when reading such things. i think the articles speak for themselves. Miami is such a beautiful city, when i read such things,.. i don't even have words

Ultimately, I just believe w/out MV bringing to life and into living rooms around the world most people would have never seen a glamorized yet somewhat real window into what was really going on in Miami in the early 1980's.  After MV in 1984 music, music videos, clothes, cars, boats, architecture, literally just about everything in popular culture changed in a tropical, pastel kinda frame of mind.  

• Like 1