Blu Ray Review

Bren10

I agree. For example the writer apparently dislikes the performances of Bruce Willis and Glenn Frey in Season 1 (unfortunately without telling us why), while I enjoyed watching both of them a lot. 

I can see some criticism for Frey if you're so inclined.  People might think he was being caricature-ish.  But also, he wasn't an actor.  In the case of Willis, I never thought he was bad and I almost never see his performance in No Exit critcized.  I think his turn in Vice just suffers in comparison to his later work in some people's minds and that's how they judge him here, which I think is unfair.  For most people, even casual viewers of MV, No Exit wasn't the first time they saw (or remember seeing) Bruce Willis so when they rediscover the ep they find it somewhat quaint in the Willis canon.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, Bren10 said:

I find it fascinating how different people place episodes and moments.  I feel totally vindicated by the Good Collar moment being mentioned here, which is one that has always stood out to me.  At the same time I find the regard for The Cell Within pretty bizarre.

http://whysoblu.com/miami-vice-complete-series-dvd-review/

Just when I thought I read everything involving Miami Vice, a another article pops up and I find out a few more interesting facts!! Thanks a lot for posting this!

• Like 1

I think there will always be new opinions on MV because younger people are constantly discovering it, especially with all the 80s retro in the last few years.  MV is a name that is constantly referenced and name-dropped in both good and bad ways unlike other 80s shows that just faded away with time.  This arouses curiosity to those who have never seen it, which I think is a good thing.  The main barrier is stopping people from simply dismissing it as 80s silliness without having even seen the show.  In my experience, once I've turned someone onto the show and they get past the "dated" aspect of it, they want to keep watching.  I've never known anyone who watched the pilot and said "that's just dumb 80s stuff".  They are almost all surprised by the depth of the show.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I think there will always be new opinions on MV because younger people are constantly discovering it, especially with all the 80s retro in the last few years.  MV is a name that is constantly referenced and name-dropped in both good and bad ways unlike other 80s shows that just faded away with time.  This arouses curiosity to those who have never seen it, which I think is a good thing.  The main barrier is stopping people from simply dismissing it as 80s silliness without having even seen the show.  In my experience, once I've turned someone onto the show and they get past the "dated" aspect of it, they want to keep watching.  I've never known anyone who watched the pilot and said "that's just dumb 80s stuff".  They are almost all surprised by the depth of the show.

So true!! I am constantly trying to convince family and friends how innovative this show was at the time and how much we can enjoy it today. Although I don't agree with everything that was said in this article, (Cell Within being an example of Season 5 at it's best!!!!! Nooo), I do enjoy the writers evaluation of each season and how the show evolved over time. Thanks again!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 5:40 PM, squeezem3 said:

I agree. For example the writer apparently dislikes the performances of Bruce Willis and Glenn Frey in Season 1 (unfortunately without telling us why), while I enjoyed watching both of them a lot. 

He's wrong, their performances were very good.

Edited by RedDragon86