MV time machine

S.FL84

One interesting thing about MV being shot on location, instead of in a studio(s), is there are several locations a person can visit today that are essentially EXACTLY the same today as in 1984.  I think this would be a great kind of "easter egg hunt" for all of us MV fans.  This always makes me think how cool it must've been to have lived in Miami in 1984-88 and be sitting at home watching the greatest show on television and recognize a location you pass by or have passed by too many times to count in your daily life or THE wildest thing must've been to  have been watching MV and see a scene in which C&T drove by your house.  < That had to have happened!

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

About 20 years after the show aired, almost all filming locations were still intact.  It was kind of amazing.  The feeling of most neighborhoods hadn't changed much.  I wish I had visited more during that time.  In the last 10-15 years, locations are disappearing and the look and vibe is changing.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

One interesting thing about MV being shot on location, instead of in a studio(s), is there are several locations a person can visit today that are essentially EXACTLY the same today as in 1984.  I think this would be a great kind of "easter egg hunt" for all of us MV fans.  This always makes me think how cool it must've been to have lived in Miami in 1984-88 and be sitting at home watching the greatest show on television and recognize a location you pass by or have passed by too many times to count in your daily life or THE wildest thing must've been to  have been watching MV and see a scene in which C&T drove by your house.  < That had to have happened!

Nicely said...I have yet to make my pilgrimage to Miami to do such location hunting but I do plan to do so. And I was in SoFl during filming but never made it to Miami. 

Btw...have you seen the excellent location site by member @C Glide?  I go there to do such hunts from time to time. ( http://www.miamivicelocations.org/ )

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, airtommy said:

About 20 years after the show aired, almost all filming locations were still intact.  It was kind of amazing.  The feeling of most neighborhoods hadn't changed much.  I wish I had visited more during that time.  In the last 10-15 years, locations are disappearing and the look and vibe is changing.

You nailed it bro!  I bet you kept expecting to see C&T flying around the corner w/ Tubbs on the phone w/ Castillo.

I was in Miami during the Vice filming years.  Everyone I worked with was a fan and finding filming locations was a weekend pass time for some of us.  Some were easy and others I couldn't identify until year later.  Most Miamians liked having their own "style" thanks to Vice.  Passed by the crew on a filming location once on the way to work. 

• Like 4

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, S.FL84 said:

I can't speak for Miami residents, but it is pretty cool to see places you know or hang out at shown on TV or in a movie.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, it actually happens quite a bit here in the LA area where I live and it doesn't get old.  :)  The marina I live at was shown more than once in CSI Miami and the historic high-rise building a friend of mine lives in was shown as well.  They filmed at many locations I recognize.

I think the bigger most paramount point here, and many other threads, is the incredible social impact MV (I"ve said this many times before in other threads) had on American society.  Music, music videos (of freakin' course), clothes, cars, boats, buildings, hairstyles, etc., etc..  I really feel sorry for today's generation whose biggest social contribution over the course of time is sitting alone using a hand held electric toy (smart phone).  I mean jeez MV affected the style of clothes, car designs, boat designs, how and what music was recorded and how the videos were shot which sold the music.  I've said this before but never before in history has it been actually hard to discern what affected what more.  Did MV affect music videos, etc. more or did music videos, etc., affect MV more?  Glen Frey's (rip bro!) SMUGGLER'S  BLUES was shot during MV was in production and was used as the basic plot of an entire episode.  < That IMO was the peak of MV and it's overall effect.  I mean hell over a three short year period of time a damn TV show anyone could watch on a $50 b&w television set w/ rabbit ears a weekly tv show which actually changed history.  < That in and of itself is absolutely incredible IMO!!!  

Edited by S.FL84

I really do think MV was and is a watermark of a high point of American culture.  It was all so succinct and connected.  Now everything is so DIS-connected and everyone living in their own little pathetic isolated world.  I mean hell even freakin Wal Mart (and other places) has service where you don't even have to go in and interact w/ society to get your groeries.  All you do is order your items, pull up to store and they load it in your car eliminating all normal social contact.  Although alot of people I see there I don't want contact w/ to begin w/.  I just feel sorry the basically slaves who are dumb enough to work there.  They treat their workers as bad as slaves w/ no exaggeration. 

• Administrators
On 2/17/2019 at 5:04 AM, S.FL84 said:

I imagine it would've been cool and very exciting recognising a location, especially if you were at that location earlier that day and then you see it on TV. Or if something was filmed near your house. 

It's like when I watch the original Mad Max which was filmed down the road from me, there's a scene where you can see an oil refinery in the background, and I can see that exact thing from my house! And I know where on what exact road it was filmed on. So I always get excited when I recognise a location, I imagine it would've been the same feeling for those who lived in Miami during the Miami Vice era.

• Like 2

James,

Your right but MV, and no offense to you whatsoever, but MV was (for the first three seasons) THE biggest thing in popular American culture.  It was bigger than the guest stars or music.  This is what fascinates me so much about MV.  It blew up to a popularity level that it actually became what it was originally formed around which was a music video come to life.  It redefined what was cool. Instead of the show being influenced by music videos it became a music brought to life.  

• Administrators
9 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

James,

Your right but MV, and no offense to you whatsoever, but MV was (for the first three seasons) THE biggest thing in popular American culture.  It was bigger than the guest stars or music.  This is what fascinates me so much about MV.  It blew up to a popularity level that it actually became what it was originally formed around which was a music video come to life.  It redefined what was cool. Instead of the show being influenced by music videos it became a music brought to life.  

I agree with you. I'm saying that they WOULD have gotten super excited when seeing a familiar location on TV. Like, if you lived in Coconut Grove and they filmed at a house around the corner from you, and then you saw it on TV in a mega popular show, that would be epic. Then you'd go out and go by filming locations and say "That was in Miami Vice".

I'm saying that I can sort of understand what they could have felt when it happened from my own experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

Google Maps (street view) is a lot of fun to use to find various locations used in the show. 

For example, below is The Carlyle.  

I told my wife whenever we go to Miami (myself, I've never been), the whole trip will be spent finding MV locations.  Haaa!

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 8.09.41 PM.png

• Like 5

On 2/17/2019 at 1:24 PM, S.FL84 said:

I really do think MV was and is a watermark of a high point of American culture.  It was all so succinct and connected.  Now everything is so DIS-connected and everyone living in their own little pathetic isolated world.  I mean hell even freakin Wal Mart (and other places) has service where you don't even have to go in and interact w/ society to get your groeries.  All you do is order your items, pull up to store and they load it in your car eliminating all normal social contact.  Although alot of people I see there I don't want contact w/ to begin w/.  I just feel sorry the basically slaves who are dumb enough to work there.  They treat their workers as bad as slaves w/ no exaggeration. 

The other thing that contributed to MV's huge impact was the limited (by today's standards) number of TV networks and shows. Now you have pretty much hundreds of outlets, but back then it was the big three in terms of series broadcasting. It's incredibly difficult now for one show to have that kind of reach and impact, even if it's as good as (or better than) Vice. Probably the closest thing was The Sopranos, which didn't really hold my interest very long. I'm a huge fan of The Shield, but it was on FX in FX's early days and thus wouldn't get the airplay of Vice. And once the Dick Wolf/Jerry Bruckheimer procedural empires got rolling there simply wasn't room for a show like Vice.

• Like 1

Yep Rob you nailed it.  The developer of the Nautilus exercise machines of the wonderful 1980's, Arthur Jones,  coined a phrase PILED HIGHER & DEEPER for what a Phd. doctorate degree really means in the real world which in today's world demonstrates what you called "hundreds of outlets".  By this I mean despite all the extra years of effort most people expend to obtain a Phd its, in the real world, meaningless and really ends up accomplishing nothing - much like despite all the advancement of technology has done is pile crap entertainment HIGHER & DEEPER.  Music & television was, as we all here can agree, MUCH better in 1984 w/ only as you said ^ three outlets of true artists and their work as opposed to now where, as Andy Worhol said, everyone is famous for 15mins. Every goddam 19yr half-assed actor has a damn show on NetFlix, Redbox, etc. and its 99% crap that everyone deep down knows and like eating junk food eventually makes you sick.  

God I am SOOOO glad to have been there in 1984 on Friday nights glued to my parents "huge" 26" Zenith television watching the dark, scare world of Miami Vice.  If I won the lottery one the first things I'd do is fly everyone here down to Miami and we'd put on THE best MV convention w/ DJ, PMT,  Castillo, Trudy and Jena no matter how much it costs and for few hours relive it all.  

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1