Other character outfits?

Rattlehead

I was wondering if anyone dresses up as characters other than Crockett and Tubbs. Last night I went out in my Evan Freed outfit. The jacket and pants are Ralph Lauren, I got the button-down from H&M. The shoes I used are Etnies slip-ons. I intend on buying white Oxford dress shoes soon for this outfit (seen in the screenshot I provided.) 

20190302_173505.jpg

Screenshot_2019-03-02-01-12-38.png

Edited by Rattlehead
  • Like 2

Great outfit as always. I only dress like Crockett because I love his sprezzatura and style. I even came up with the idea of when it warms up and I start wearing the look, I’ll start dropping the pants, jacket and shirt on the floor the day before I wear the outfit to give it an even more authentic and less-polished look. I think I would look weird dressed like Tubbs, Evan, or any other character. That’s part of the reason I love Crockett’s style so much, because it’s both casual and chic and makes you really stand out in the crowd without looking “suited-up”.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:20 PM, Rattlehead said:

I was wondering if anyone dresses up as characters other than Crockett and Tubbs. Last night I went out in my Evan Freed outfit. The jacket and pants are Ralph Lauren, I got the button-down from H&M. The shoes I used are Etnies slip-ons. I intend on buying white Oxford dress shoes soon for this outfit (seen in the screenshot I provided.) 

20190302_173505.jpg

Screenshot_2019-03-02-01-12-38.png

I mentioned it in the "Show Your Vice Style" thread that I pretty much have the Stan and Larry look down pat!  :)  Aloha shirts and guayaberas with cargo shorts or sometimes jeans is what I've been wearing for years.  Sometimes it's with work boots, sometimes sneakers.  Pretty simple and comfortable, basically.  I've had various beards, goatees, stubble to go with it over the years.  Currently I have a goatee and usually shave the rest about every third day so I often have stubble.  A little longer stubble doesn't seem to look as bad with a goatee for some reason.  If I'm honest, I don't think of it as dressing up as other characters.  It just how I dress every day, and the infrequent shaving is more out of laziness than anything! :) 

Nobody wants to hear it on this thread, :) but when summer comes and I'm off work (high school teacher) it usually becomes flip flops, shorts, and T-shirts or tanks.  I do have a couple of sleeveless tees I wear with my trunks to the beach or pool.  Sometimes I'll wear an aloha shirt unbuttoned over a tank.  I never wear flip flops on my boat though.  It's dangerous and no respectable sailor ever would.  I live in a beach community and styles are just far more casual here.  I've been in expensive restaurants along the coast and payed $150+ for dinner with my wife and lots of people were wearing shorts and flip flops, me included.  The Tubbs look would actually really stand out where I live.  The jackets and ties, for those who wear them professionally, seem to all disappear in the evening after work.

9 hours ago, pahonu said:

I mentioned it in the "Show Your Vice Style" thread that I pretty much have the Stan and Larry look down pat!  :)  Aloha shirts and guayaberas with cargo shorts or sometimes jeans is what I've been wearing for years.  Sometimes it's with work boots, sometimes sneakers.  Pretty simple and comfortable, basically.  I've had various beards, goatees, stubble to go with it over the years.  Currently I have a goatee and usually shave the rest about every third day so I often have stubble.  A little longer stubble doesn't seem to look as bad with a goatee for some reason.  If I'm honest, I don't think of it as dressing up as other characters.  It just how I dress every day, and the infrequent shaving is more out of laziness than anything! :) 

Nobody wants to hear it on this thread, :) but when summer comes and I'm off work (high school teacher) it usually becomes flip flops, shorts, and T-shirts or tanks.  I do have a couple of sleeveless tees I wear with my trunks to the beach or pool.  Sometimes I'll wear an aloha shirt unbuttoned over a tank.  I never wear flip flops on my boat though.  It's dangerous and no respectable sailor ever would.  I live in a beach community and styles are just far more casual here.  I've been in expensive restaurants along the coast and payed $150+ for dinner with my wife and lots of people were wearing shorts and flip flops, me included.  The Tubbs look would actually really stand out where I live.  The jackets and ties, for those who wear them professionally, seem to all disappear in the evening after work.

That sounds like a pretty typical manner of dress for your age group! No offense lol.

That's awesome that you're a high school teacher. Do you ever have any kids who appreciate Miami Vice or talk about it? Or better yet, dress like it? Probably not, I'd wager.

1 hour ago, pmconroy said:

That sounds like a pretty typical manner of dress for your age group! No offense lol.

That's awesome that you're a high school teacher. Do you ever have any kids who appreciate Miami Vice or talk about it? Or better yet, dress like it? Probably not, I'd wager.

No offense taken.  :)

The kids actually see lots of old shows now because of streaming.  That wasn't true even 6 or 8 years ago.  It's fun to talk about old shows with them, but I haven't ever heard a student bring up Miami Vice and I've been teaching near 25 years.  I've talked with students in the past about Narcos, Cocaine Cowboys, and Scarface but never Vice.  I've even seen a few students wear the early 80's post-punk/new wave look over the years, but again, never Vice.

4 hours ago, pahonu said:

No offense taken.  :)

The kids actually see lots of old shows now because of streaming.  That wasn't true even 6 or 8 years ago.  It's fun to talk about old shows with them, but I haven't ever heard a student bring up Miami Vice and I've been teaching near 25 years.  I've talked with students in the past about Narcos, Cocaine Cowboys, and Scarface but never Vice.  I've even seen a few students wear the early 80's post-punk/new wave look over the years, but again, never Vice.

Not surprising, honestly. It’s probably a good thing because lots of people treat Miami Vice as a big joke and a “haha this is so cheesy” kind of thing and younger kids would probably do the same. I’m 21 and older folks always get a kick out of my love for Miami Vice. I get lots of smiles and references to it when I wear the clothes in public. Wearing it in Miami itself was especially awesome, I had a guy shout “Sonny Crockett! Miami Vice!” from the next block over. It really does take balls of steel to wear it in this day and age, though. Lol

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 3:50 AM, pmconroy said:

Not surprising, honestly. It’s probably a good thing because lots of people treat Miami Vice as a big joke and a “haha this is so cheesy” kind of thing and younger kids would probably do the same. I’m 21 and older folks always get a kick out of my love for Miami Vice. I get lots of smiles and references to it when I wear the clothes in public. Wearing it in Miami itself was especially awesome, I had a guy shout “Sonny Crockett! Miami Vice!” from the next block over. It really does take balls of steel to wear it in this day and age, though. Lol

What the heck were you wearing that somebody felt the need to make fun of you for it? 

5 hours ago, TheBustedFlush said:

What the heck were you wearing that somebody felt the need to make fun of you for it? 

What? Who made fun of me?

1 hour ago, pmconroy said:

What? Who made fun of me?

I mean, if I wear a red Hawaiian shirt tucked into a pair of jeans tomorrow (for some reason) and someone yells across the street "HEY MAGNUM!" it's kind of insulting. Like "look at that dork over there". I'd rather not have people, including my relatives, talking about me behind my back.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:50 AM, pmconroy said:

Or you could just be some moronic, bearded hipster with rolled-up mom jeans and a driving cap. I wear what I like, and if other people don't like it I don't really care. Hit that point years ago and never looked back.

• Like 2

It is all about getting out of your comfort zone.  I am one of those people who care too much about what others think.  It is hard to get past that quite honestly.  I have always been fine blending in and flying under the radar but I will have no more of it.  Some people may snicker but I think more will think it is cool and not want to admit it.

As I reread through the comments on this thread, something occurred to me that I hadn't quite crystalized over the years.  I've followed the conversations on these fashion threads for several years but I don't chime in much.  I've never been much into fashion, which I know is not typical of those on these pages, but I've generally chalked it up to the fact that I can't find things to fit me easily.  As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm 6-8 and wear a 54 jacket so I wear lots of shorts and mostly untucked button-up shirts of various types. 

What I'm realizing is that many of the conversations on here show some concern about wearing clothes from the show and possibly standing out in a crowd, or worse being called out, and the fears (maybe too strong a word) associated with that.  That's really never been a concern/fear I've ever had to face.  With my size there's just no blending in, as people say.  When I walk into a room, people look at me.  That's no boast, it's my reality. My wife talked about the uncomfortableness she felt when we were first dating because she wasn't used to the attention I draw as I enter a room of unfamiliar people.  That was 25 years ago. I didn't notice the looks then, and still don't generally, and I still get approached and asked about my height all the time.  I don't mind the questions at all, never have, never will I hope. 

The only downside I've had, and my wife will corroborate on this, is that people almost always remember me after maybe only one interaction, and I may not remember them.  My wife pointed out to me years ago that I have a certain response when someone recognizes me and I clearly don't remember them.  I apologize in a certain way and ask them to repeat their name to me like I'm bad with names.  I'm actually very good with names and my wife knows this.  I'm better with names than she is.  LOL!  I've had so many people over the years say good to see me again and I don't remember seeing them the first time that I guess I feel bad about it.

Anyway, what I'm getting at, I suppose, is that I probably never cared so much about what I wore less because of not finding things that fit me, but more because I never wanted or needed, really, to get people's attention or to stand out.  I never really cared much about dressing up for Halloween either and my wife loves to, or dressing up formally for that matter.  Ultimately, I don't think there's much I could wear within reason that would cause comment more than my size, I guess.  Does this make sense to anyone?

On 3/12/2019 at 3:50 AM, pmconroy said:

Hey, listen! I just had my kids throw me a surprise party this year and the theme was....you guessed it (I hope) Miami Vice! I walked into to a restaurant full of people, young and old, who cheered when I arrived. My son wore a pastel suit with flamingos on it and my daughter wore a MV themed outfit with her hair Gina style! The folks in the restaurant went wild. I was amazed at how many patrons, young and old, could relate! It was a party to remember!! 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 3

@pohanu Makes a lot of sense. I am only 5'4 so I have the opposite problem in a way.  I feel I stick out because people notice how short I am.  I overcame my own perception of a shortcoming by being really good at sports and always being in great shape.  This may sound weird but I have never really felt short.  I see it in pictures with friends but even tall people seem eye level to me.  Hard to explain.

I care less and less about what people think these days.  It is about how I feel.  This is cliche but life is too short to not have fun with being who you want to be in form and fashion. 

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, IA-SteveB said:

Makes a lot of sense. I am only 5'4 so I have the opposite problem in a way.  I feel I stick out because people notice how short I am.  I overcame my own perception of a shortcoming by being really good at sports and always being in great shape.  This may sound weird but I have never really felt short.  I see it in pictures with friends but even tall people seem eye level to me.  Hard to explain.

I care less and less about what people think these days.  It is about how I feel.  This is cliche but life is too short to not have fun with being who you want to be in form and fashion. 

That's a healthy outlook! Don't ever change!

On 5/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, TheBustedFlush said:

I mean, if I wear a red Hawaiian shirt tucked into a pair of jeans tomorrow (for some reason) and someone yells across the street "HEY MAGNUM!" it's kind of insulting. Like "look at that dork over there". I'd rather not have people, including my relatives, talking about me behind my back.

I'm not so insecure that someone making a reference to the style I'm imitating would come across an insult to me.

57 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Hey, listen! I just had my kids throw me a surprise party this year and the theme was....you guessed it (I hope) Miami Vice! I walked into to a restaurant full of people, young and old, who cheered when I arrived. My son wore a pastel suit with flamingos on it and my daughter wore a MV themed outfit with her hair Gina style! The folks in the restaurant went wild. I was amazed at how many patrons, young and old, could relate! It was a party to remember!! 

I can imagine! Sounds like it was a blast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmconroy said:

I'm not so insecure that someone making a reference to the style I'm imitating would come across an insult to me.

No, no...folks who judge are the insecure ones! Don't let them influence you! The creative mind doesn't care what others think!

Edited by mjcmmv

4 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

No, no...folks who judge are the insecure ones! Don't let them influence you! The creative mind doesn't care what others think!

You’re exactly right!