Blackhat (2015)

RedDragon86

Watched this for the first time last night and I was really impressed, sort of surprised at how good it was to be honest, I really don't understand why this gets negative reviews. I don't think its as good as Collateral but even so another very good film by Michael.

Again the negativity baffles me, I always felt that there was an agenda in Hollywood where Mann is concerned, he is always overlooked, movies like Heat, The Insider and Collateral were Oscar material.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

He committed the cardinal sin of being popular on TV. The horror...

Actually Hollywood has always had agendas against people and genres for who knows what reasons. That's one reason I don't really pay attention to much they so or do with awards and such.

Mann's directorial style flies over a lot of people's heads.  He is subtle and expects the audience to do some of the work (one of the reasons for the MV2006 hate, I think).  He doesn't dictate to the audience how to feel like a Spielberg and he isn't as viscerally and immediately rewarding like a Tarantino or Scorcese and certainly not a Michael Bay.  I have Blackhat myself and I like it, but on a critical level there's certain things in it that don't make a lot of sense like the white cop with the 45 not taking cover in the middle of an automatic gunfight with seasoned mercs.  Apparently the film went thru massive re-edits to make it palatable for audiences and Mann has screened an alternate cut after the fact that he hasn't released yet.  For one thing I know that the initial Chinese reactor attack was to have taken place much later in the film.  I also think that politically Mann is thought of as the old school in how he presents characters and relationships (remember the man is in his 70s now) and that doesn't help his standing in Hollywood as far as appreciation.

Edited by Bren10
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Mann's directorial style flies over a lot of people's heads.  He is subtle and expects the audience to do some of the work (one of the reasons for the MV2006 hate, I think).  He doesn't dictate to the audience how to feel like a Spielberg and he isn't as viscerally and immediately rewarding like a Tarantino or Scorcese and certainly not a Michael Bay.  I have Blackhat myself and I like it, but on a critical level there's certain things in it that don't make a lot of sense like the white cop with the 45 not taking cover in the middle of an automatic gunfight with seasoned mercs.  Apparently the film went thru massive re-edits to make it palatable for audiences and Mann has screened an alternate cut after the fact that he hasn't released yet.  For one thing I know that the initial Chinese reactor attack was to have taken place much later in the film.  I also think that politically Mann is thought of as the old school in how he presents characters and relationships (remember the man is in his 70s now) and that doesn't help his standing in Hollywood as far as appreciation.

Great post - a saw a lot of “Miami Vice “ (2006) In “Blackhat” i enjoyed it.

18 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I totally understand this, Mann makes films the way he wants to, just like David Lynch or Cronenberg and not making it Hollywood friendly. 

On 3/25/2019 at 6:25 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Watched this for the first time last night and I was really impressed, sort of surprised at how good it was to be honest, I really don't understand why this gets negative reviews. I don't think its as good as Collateral but even so another very good film by Michael.

Again the negativity baffles me, I always felt that there was an agenda in Hollywood where Mann is concerned, he is always overlooked, movies like Heat, The Insider and Collateral were Oscar material.

Very good film. Has many elements of the “Miami Vice” 2006 movie.

• Like 1

The Insider was nominated it just didn't win. I remember watching that Oscar show and seeing several crowd shots of Mann in the audience. Part of the problem there was marketing. A lot of people didn't really know what the film was about or what genre it belonged in because it wasn't very well communicated in tv spots and teasers. Mann addressed this with Charlie Rose.

One of the first things I noticed was another remake of a Bob Dylan song used. 

Ali - All Along The Watchtower

Blackhat - Knocking On Heaven's Door

I've only seen the movie twice, but the main thing I remember is it has absolutely stunning visuals.

I kind of wish Mann would move on from the crime dramas. He's not going to top Thief or Heat so it'd be nice to see him tackle material he hasn't done before. (Like he did with Last of the Mohicans).

The Enzo Ferrari movie sounds cool and in an interview he said he wanted to do a western!! Sounds amazing.

• Like 1