Today's ep. in MV history

S.FL84

I did a search and found no results & was thinking a neat thread would be to weekly or maybe months feature that week's or month's  noteable episode in MV history.  For example this week on March 29th "NOBODY LIVES FOREVER" was broadcast.  The band THE CHURCH is currently on tour and their career I'm sure was greatly boosted by being featured on MV as well as numerous other bands starting out.

• Like 3

I like it!

Here's one of my favorite facts from this episode. I know some of you know it because I saw it somewhere on here before, but it's still worth mentioning: 

Kim Griest starred as Sonny's love interest, Brenda and "Nobody Lives Forever" was her television debut. She also starred in Michael Mann's classic, "Manhunter". 

Kimgreist.gif

Good idea. Michael Carmine, who played one of the punks in this episode 2 years later was featured in another MV episode as Mikey in "Everybody in Showbiz." At first I didn't recognize it was the same guy. Also starred in Hill Street Blues and Crime Story. Was featured in the movie Batteries Included, the one I believe Saundra Santiago was supposed to appear, but didn't get the permission by Michael Mann. He sadly died very young at age 30 in 1989.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.FL84 said:

I did a search and found no results & was thinking a neat thread would be to weekly or maybe months feature that week's or month's  noteable episode in MV history.  For example this week on March 29th "NOBODY LIVES FOREVER" was broadcast.  The band THE CHURCH is currently on tour and their career I'm sure was greatly boosted by being featured on MV as well as numerous other bands starting out.

I agree I think it’s a great idea.

@mvnyc used to do a weekly post like this, and we all seemed to enjoy it, but it was a new thread every week. Here’s an example: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here goes:

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_McCarthy

Today in MV history is THE GREAT MCCARTHY an truly iconic ep. due primarily to the reason its plot was based on actual Miami fact.  Mickey Munday who was at the very core of exploding cocaine world which MV was based  staged several fake races which actually were VERY public cocaine delivery runs from offshore dropoffs.  <That took kohonas the size of an elephant IMO.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cocaine-cowboys-built-empire-inspired-miami-vice-article-1.3052383

^ Just another mind blowing incredible daily event in the amazing world that one of the, if not THE best television programs was truly based on.  It must've been incredible to have worked on that show.  I remember how boring daily life was in the early 1980's.... then you'd see a news story of something so utterly shockingly fascinating like ^ this you'd be simply dumbfounded.  

• Like 3

I made a slight error.  THE GREAT MCCARTHY was originally run on November 16, 1984 then re-run on April 5, 1985.  Irregardless its stands as not only a great ep. by itself but when you consider the fact it was based real events makes it even more incredible. No one I mean NO ONE  in the entire cocaine cartel then or now comes close to the utter genius of Micheal "Mickey" Munday.  

^ Mickey actually put over $100,000 in cash on the floor of his airplane hanger and spayed it w/ a couple kilos dissolved in water  then spent all of it all over Broward County nullifying the use of K9 dogs.  He'd also drive around a lunch looking then finding a K9 unit stopped for lunch and then he'd spray the entire car and all the cars in surrounding parking lot making that dog useless.

• 3 weeks later...

This is MV history was a great ep. "Nobody Lives Forever" which broke new ground exposing American audiences to a level of violence it had NEVER seen before and NBC caught hell from the censors for it.

The next two weeks are arguably two of THE best MV eps. ever shown.  "Lombard" and "Evan".  Excuse my language but HOLY SH#@ < those are two eps. that could have been stand alone movies of the week IMO.  There was plenty of meat still left on the bone in both of those plots to make a few more eps. out of which they did w/ the Lombard character.  Jeez those were some damn good day weren't they?

I mean hell Jan Hammer even recorded the classic MV soundtrack song "Evan" just for this one ep.  Simply incredible!

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

This is MV history was a great ep. "Nobody Lives Forever" which broke new ground exposing American audiences to a level of violence it had NEVER seen before and NBC caught hell from the censors for it.

The next two weeks are arguably two of THE best MV eps. ever shown.  "Lombard" and "Evan".  Excuse my language but HOLY SH#@ < those are two eps. that could have been stand alone movies of the week IMO.  There was plenty of meat still left on the bone in both of those plots to make a few more eps. out of which they did w/ the Lombard character.  Jeez those were some damn good day weren't they?

I mean hell Jan Hammer even recorded the classic MV soundtrack song "Evan" just for this one ep.  Simply incredible!

I absolutely agree. Two of my all-time favorites. And the actors, Farina and William Russ, were stars in their own right! These two episodes were classic. Thanks for the music! 

Its too bad we don't all live in or near the same city, we could have a weekly MV party as they did for THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW in my old hometown.  1 - 2x a month on Thursday night for years a local bar would show 3-4 eps. of T.A.G.S. and everyone would laugh themselves silly.  I still watch it almost nightly on MeTV.  

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

Its too bad we don't all live in or near the same city, we could have a weekly MV party as they did for THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW in my old hometown.  1 - 2x a month on Thursday night for years a local bar would show 3-4 eps. of T.A.G.S. and everyone would laugh themselves silly.  I still watch it almost nightly on MeTV.  

I can quote most of the black and white episodes. The other greatest show ever. :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

That would be great!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

It doesn't get much funnier than this > 

Absolutely! Wow. Talk about two worlds colliding for me here.