Bruce McGill

S.FL84

Its interesting IMO how McGill (& others I'm sure) can basically play the same type of character for going on 35 freakin years!  I guess he's one of those background actors that's like blue skies or water.  He's actually worked more than DJ since NV. 

• Administrators

I enjoyed watching Bruce on the detective show "Rizzoli & Isles"  

I'll bet many don't even recognize him as D-Day from "National Lampoon's Animal House" 

7 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

Its interesting IMO how McGill (& others I'm sure) can basically play the same type of character for going on 35 freakin years!  I guess he's one of those background actors that's like blue skies or water.  He's actually worked more than DJ since NV. 

If you're a solid character actor you will always have a job because productions will always have need of them. This is a case where typecasting can actually benefit you. The star spot, which DJ always craved, is more difficult because Hollywood can only push and invest in so many at a time and they typically have a finite lifespan due to natural aging and trends. There are a few exceptions like Tom Cruise but not many.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

If you're a solid character actor you will always have a job because productions will always have need of them. This is a case where typecasting can actually benefit you. The star spot, which DJ always craved, is more difficult because Hollywood can only push and invest in so many at a time and they typically have a finite lifespan due to natural aging and trends. There are a few exceptions like Tom Cruise but not many.

It's often because they're more versatile than the 'star' type. Look at Robert Duvall, Sam Elliot, and others like that. Some stars can last, but much depends on how they deal with aging and controlling their careers. Too many want to keep playing the roles they had when they were younger. Only a handful can continue to be relevant while still changing to deal with trends (or simply setting their own).

• Like 1

I'm more interested in Frank Military being the co-producer of NCIS LA as well as one of its main writers. Quite a step from being one of the punks in Nobody Lives Forever.

I just am fascinated how a seemingly ruin - of-the - mill TV cops show designed to emulate a music video forever changed so many things, including the music videos it was based on.  

• Like 1

I mean NO ONE not even the then king of network programming Brandon Tartikoff (rip bro) who made tens of milllions of dollars intuitively knowing what the American audience wanted to see could have predicted that his idea of "MTV cops" scrawled on a freakin napkin at a brain scrambling board meeting would have exploded into something far past the life it was trying to capture.  I honestly believe MV was the high point of American popular culture and its effect on the world.

Imagine how great it'd be to have a MV today to watch every friday night?  MV was sooo freakin' popular in 1984-5 NBC ran reruns that were more successful that the first run in the same damn season.  MV was in effect in syndication 3yrs+ before the damn show was cancelled.  < That in itself is amazing and rarely has been accomplished EVER. 

Edited by S.FL84