A New Article (29 April 2019) on Miami Vice's Influence

Scot from S.C.

But it's all pretty much Miami media. If you start looking at TV cop show literature, Vice isn't mentioned all that often aside from visuals and music. That, sadly, is mostly what it's known for.

From a story/writing perspective, I don't feel like Miami Vice ever achieved its full potential, which (IMO) takes away from its legacy, at least in the minds of the people who critique TV cop shows.  Its stunning success in grabbing attention with music and visuals--and don't forget the guest stars--hindered some of the potential development of the characters and storytelling.  With the added complication of Michael Mann's creative energies quickly shifting in another direction, combined with the time shift to 9 p.m., I feel like there was no one to guide the overall course.  I actually enjoyed many if not most of S3 episodes, but certainly continuity was a problem and maybe that is part of Dick Wolf's mode (more episodic vs arc or character growth).

Still, it was an interesting article with the perspectives from all 5 seasons captured.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

From a story/writing perspective, I don't feel like Miami Vice ever achieved its full potential, which (IMO) takes away from its legacy, at least in the minds of the people who critique TV cop shows.  Its stunning success in grabbing attention with music and visuals--and don't forget the guest stars--hindered some of the potential development of the characters and storytelling.  With the added complication of Michael Mann's creative energies quickly shifting in another direction, combined with the time shift to 9 p.m., I feel like there was no one to guide the overall course.  I actually enjoyed many if not most of S3 episodes, but certainly continuity was a problem and maybe that is part of Dick Wolf's mode (more episodic vs arc or character growth).

Still, it was an interesting article with the perspectives from all 5 seasons captured.

I agree it didn't achieve  its potential, but it was still innovative and exciting...so different from what we were experiencing in the 80's. Every episode was an experiment! Every week, I was so excited to see what the writers had come up. Haven't found a show on main-stream TV that has captivated me as much, although  Cable TV, which is not hamstrung by the major network censoring nonsense, has come up with some quality stuff. How I wish cable had been around in the 80's. MV would have been a star! 

• Like 1

Oneof the best articles on MV I've seen.  Its interesting, especially considering the vantage point of this forum, how even then they were retrospective about the first three stratospheric untouchability of MV.  I don't care what Neilson ratings state what the first two seasons of MV dominated Friday night television and nothing else came close.  Its just makes me smile to know that I was there and was part of the phenomena that was MV.  No other tv show ever has or ever will come close to it.  It changed history and that change is still evident by ^ this article and the city of Miami itself.  Freakin' amazing!!

One bad part of the widely acknowledged "vice-effect" is these gritty streets have been replaced w/ multi million dollar condos and hotels that are just sooo plastic.  The same thing where I live (New Orleans).  Tourists come here hoping to "get dirty" in the 1960's mob-owned dirty streets of the French Quarter that hasn't existed since the 70's.  I'm not saying people travel to Miami to see C & T but I can travel only a few miles to see a Hilton Hotel.  I wanna see these streets IF I fly all the way to freakin Miami.

miamivice1.jpg

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

It also has to do with Vice's long-term impact on the development of the cop show. I think you see Vice's legacy more in the visuals and music stuff the CSI shows try to use. When you look at a show like The Shield (which was truly groundbreaking in what it was doing with the genre), it took its visuals from Cops (in part due to budget and in part for the desired effect). Interestingly, the creator of The Shield was a writer on Nash Bridges, which might have shown him what he didn't want to do.

Vice had some strong episodes, but the ratio just wasn't high enough in terms of writing for it to have the impact of (say) Hill Street Blues, Homicide, or even NYPD Blue (which I think is the weakest of the three I listed). Those are the shows most frequently mentioned when people talk about the development of the genre. Vice often gets lumped into bizarre discussions about masculinity on TV, and many of those authors get so many show details wrong you can't take them seriously.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

I agree it didn't achieve  its potential, but it was still innovative and exciting...so different from what we were experiencing in the 80's. Every episode was an experiment! Every week, I was so excited to see what the writers had come up. Haven't found a show on main-stream TV that has captivated me as much, although  Cable TV, which is not hamstrung by the major network censoring nonsense, has come up with some quality stuff. How I wish cable had been around in the 80's. MV would have been a star! 

MV was a victim of it's own success.  Its hard to remain a hardened vice cop in Miami w/ three day's stubble on your face when your dating Sheena Easton and driving a Testarossa.  MV took a snapshot of the life of a vice cop in Miami and stretched what was a 2hr made for TV movie into at least three good seasons.  I think PMT was wrong when he said he felt like "it could've kept going".  It was a tv show that had told all the stories it could have told in  two dimensions (TV).  All it was was a music video brought to life and as we all know music videos only last around 3 minutes.  Three minutes stretched into three prime time seasons was pretty freakin' good IMO.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 2

MV never actually pretended to capture the life of a Miami vice cop. Steven Sanders' book on Vice points this out pretty well in a number of places (in one of his notes he points out that the cost for ONE episode of Vice was larger than the budget of the 23 person Metro Dade Vice squad for an entire year). Maybe Yerkovich intended it to work that way, but it quickly morphed into a dual-track meditation about the dangers of working undercover and a flashy profile of the cocaine scene writ large against a Miami backdrop. PMT was correct in a sense: Vice certainly could have kept going, but it would have changed (as all solid shows do) over time. There were always hints of the direction it could have taken, but sadly it never really hit them. Did Vice tell all the stories it could have told? No. Not at all. Did it make a reasonable attempt given the limitations (both internally and externally imposed) it was saddled with? Possibly.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

MV may not have had a major influence on cop shows, but I do think it had a major influence on TV dramas in general.

Also, perhaps some of the aspects that fell short of its aspirations were noted as lessons learned :)  

3 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

It was just the right show at the right time.  Today a hypothetical MV wouldnt come close the 1984's MV.  

I agree - I’m just not sure what a new Universal/ Vin Diesel Miami Vice can bring to the table. Miami does not have the charm or appeal it had In 1984-89 and doesn’t look as good either. Downtown looks like Chicago or any other major city. They should shoot more like the series did from 1984-89 in Aventura, North Beach, South Miami, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove.

• Like 1

Any MV done today, much like the Michael Mann disaster, would just be a pathetic nostalgic attempt.  The only that'd work is a reunion.