Gentleman's Gazette's take on the Miami Vice look

BunMVO

Obviously, I have an interest in men's fashion, and I sometimes watch this channel for fun, Gentleman's Gazette. 

I don't take any of their advice seriously because their style is way too frumpy and granpda-y for my tastes. That's the exact opposite of the Miami Vice look (casual, relaxed, yet stylish). To be honest, I can't stand the majority of their outfits they show in videos - the plaids, earth tones, excessively large lapels, always ties etc. doesn't suit my style at all. Although I appreciate greatly some of what they say, like no shorts, hooded sweatshirts, graphic tees and an aversion to jeans, I wouldn't wear most of the clothes they promote because I don't want to look like I belong in a casket. Also, the color combinations are too much. Seriously, what the hell is with them and fedoras and flat caps? Looks very stupid in my view.

Anyways, I noticed this video today which talks about the t-shirt and blazer look. Although I would really say sportcoat, some people can't differentiate between the two it seems. They do in fact mention the '80s and Miami Vice in this, as to be expected, but in a light that is none too favorable. But I think they really missed the mark on this one. It's a completely different, bold, youthful look from the grandpa-ish outfit they present in the video. Of course it's going to look bad...

Every fashion article I ever saw (I used to subscribe to GQ, Esquire, etc.) alluding the MV look spoke of the white blazer/suit and crew neck as a “don’t”. 

I think the look of often kind of got associated negatively with douchebags and wannabes (like in “The Wedding Singer”), which didn’t help—like you can’t take them seriously, or something.

I’ve also seen some articles that say things like there’s only one man ever that could look good in tight jeans and Hawaiian shirts (Magnum P. I.). 

To remain not offended, I think these writers and editors are just urging people to find their own style versus mimicking a television costume. However, I also believe any of them would agree that taking notes from the MV colors, textures, and combinations while utilizing modern silhouettes could be a total win (@squeezem3, for a great example :tasse:).

I say: if it looks good, you’re rocking it, and you feel good, everyone who sees you will be glad they saw you—no matter what style you’re wearing! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Every fashion article I ever saw (I used to subscribe to GQ, Esquire, etc.) alluding the MV look spoke of the white blazer/suit and crew neck as a “don’t”. 

I think the look of often kind of got associated negatively with douchebags and wannabes (like in “The Wedding Singer”), which didn’t help—like you can’t take them seriously, or something.

I’ve also seen some articles that say things like there’s only one man ever that could look good in tight jeans and Hawaiian shirts (Magnum P. I.). 

To remain not offended, I think these writers and editors are just urging people to find their own style versus mimicking a television costume. However, I also believe any of them would agree that taking notes from the MV colors, textures, and combinations while utilizing modern silhouettes could be a total win (@squeezem3, for a great example :tasse:).

I say: if it looks good, you’re rocking it, and you feel good, everyone who sees you will be glad they saw you—no matter what style you’re wearing! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I like to go all out when I do it or not at all. I figure that people wear a lot weirder stuff and there are all kinds of weird subcultures like goth etc. that have an outlandish way of dressing, but the Miami Vice look in my opinion is simply the height of style and is a welcome change in a sea of hooded sweatshirts, jeans, and other clothing items that have simply remained status quo since the turn of the century.

Of course, I like to go with the relaxed fit that is true to 80s style. squeezem3 has incredible taste in clothes too, but keep in mind he's also tall, lol.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Of course, I like to go with the relaxed fit that is true to 80s style.

Absolutely! All your outfits are great, too. Like I said in the other thread, you guys are all batting 1.000! 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Absolutely! All your outfits are great, too. Like I said in the other thread, you guys are all batting 1.000! 

Thanks pal! And same with yours. The season 3 style suits you very well

• Thanks 1

Fedoras and flat caps are very hipster now, I believe. I also think they look stupid as hell. However, I'm also an '80s metalhead, and you'll pry my jeans and concert t-shirts from my cold, dead fingers...:cool:

20 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Fedoras and flat caps are very hipster now, I believe. I also think they look stupid as hell. However, I'm also an '80s metalhead, and you'll pry my jeans and concert t-shirts from my cold, dead fingers...:cool:

Now that’s a different story from an ill-fitting t-shirt that says something like “my dog ate the homework” lol

I spotted this YouTube channel too a while ago, and they obviously favor a very conservative clothing style. In the end it's always a matter of personal taste and preferences, so there's nothing like a definite right or wrong, but I'd say the Miami Vice-look (which is way more than pastel colors and white blazers) is a great, timeless symbiosis between formal, and casual elegance.

Miami Vice also helped men to get some colors into their closets without feeling ashamed due to stupid prejudices. There is absolutely no reason why a man should be committed to shades of brown, and gray only. The way you wear your style and your general behavior makes a man masculine, not the choice of colors. DJ has proven that, and it's one important reason why the show was so groundbreaking. 

5 hours ago, squeezem3 said:

I spotted this YouTube channel too a while ago, and they obviously favor a very conservative clothing style. In the end it's always a matter of personal taste and preferences, so there's nothing like a definite right or wrong, but I'd say the Miami Vice-look (which is way more than pastel colors and white blazers) is a great, timeless symbiosis between formal, and casual elegance.

Miami Vice also helped men to get some colors into their closets without feeling ashamed due to stupid prejudices. There is absolutely no reason why a man should be committed to shades of brown, and gray only. The way you wear your style and your general behavior makes a man masculine, not the choice of colors. DJ has proven that, and it's one important reason why the show was so groundbreaking. 

And it seems like GG are big proponents of that way of thinking. I honestly don’t understand all the hate towards the 1980s style. Like you said, it straddles the line between edgy casualness and traditional style which to me is the perfect balance for most occasions outside of work or formal events (I wear it to work, but my office dress code is very relaxed). Although I don’t think it would surprise anyone that this channel are against this look.

30 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

And it seems like GG are big proponents of that way of thinking. I honestly don’t understand all the hate towards the 1980s style. Like you said, it straddles the line between edgy casualness and traditional style which to me is the perfect balance for most occasions outside of work or formal events (I wear it to work, but my office dress code is very relaxed). Although I don’t think it would surprise anyone that this channel are against this look.

Some of the hate likely stems from the fact they weren't there to experience it. You also have to consider shows like Saved by the Bell which warped the look into something it never really was. Nu Wave to an extent also had a negative impact. Vice in some ways was easy to parody, and that's an easy thing to shift to hate.

Squeezem3 is, of course, quite correct regarding Vice's impact on color in men's fashions. As far as the stupid prejudices go, I always told people if they didn't like me wearing pastel pink or green it said more about them than it did about me....:cool:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

As far as the stupid prejudices go, I always told people if they didn't like me wearing pastel pink or green it said more about them than it did about me....:cool:

Very true. People like that don't dare to stand out of the flock of sheep, so they rather stick to what everybody else is wearing, cause they constantly worry what others may think about them. If someone doesn't follow the same rules, it's just easier to hate instead of getting out of the own comfort zone. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I've watched the Gentleman's Gazette channel for a long time. I also like Real Men Real Style and Alpha M's channels too. Each has their niche. Gentleman's Gzette is very formal and does seem a little out dated. Real Men Real Style tends to cater to business wear and Alpha tries to just include style and grooming and overall "coolness" according to his tastes. Not to mention product sponser anyone on his channel that will pay him to. :)

I think the 80's look is just a period peace unique to it's time much like the dress of the 20's with top hats and canes was for that era.I don't think there is any right answer since style and taste are all subjective to the wearer.

56 minutes ago, timm525 said:

I've watched the Gentleman's Gazette channel for a long time. I also like Real Men Real Style and Alpha M's channels too. Each has their niche. Gentleman's Gzette is very formal and does seem a little out dated. Real Men Real Style tends to cater to business wear and Alpha tries to just include style and grooming and overall "coolness" according to his tastes. Not to mention product sponser anyone on his channel that will pay him to. :)

I think the 80's look is just a period peace unique to it's time much like the dress of the 20's with top hats and canes was for that era.I don't think there is any right answer since style and taste are all subjective to the wearer.

I will say that I have no room to criticize Gentleman’s Gazette on the grounds that the style they promote is outdated since I literally wear 1980s outfits down to the last detail, but as the guy says in the video, the ‘80s were just current enough that it makes people roll their eyes at the sight of it. Does it hold up well over time? Some aspects of it, no, but as we’ve seen here some of us can really rock the look well.

I do respect Gentleman’s Gazette for what they do of course. I appreciate everyone who has the stones to own their style.