The thrill is not gone!

S.FL84

Absolutely! It’s literally the beginning of every great thing to come. I’m excited like it’s a new show every single time—it’s an eternal joy spring!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I"m watching it today.  Its so much fun to be instantly taken back to those days.  The clothes, the cars, the music, the cinematography....etc.  MV, in 1984, was like NOTHING television audiences had ever seen before.  It harmonized w/ literally EVERYTHING in popular culture then ^.  Its odd, imo. how then a person 35-50 could be cool & now it seems 18yrs old is THE age since popular culture is so shallow and plastic.  Reagan, Carson, Sonny Crockett, Mick Jagger...everyone was 35+ and cool.  Now its childish kiddy crap androgynous boy bands w/ absolutely (0) real talent.  I guess its w/ the internet and "next day shipping" that validates the lack of substance.  In the 80's it took time to build creditibility and for artists to prove themselves.  Now no one cares.  I guess its like Warhol said "in the future everyone will be famous for 10mins".  Nowadays people are famous just for being famous and nothing else...like the Kardashians.  I wanna go back to 1984.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1

Actress Saundra Santiago was 27 years old when she was cast as Detective Gina Calabrese. She worked with Crockett and Tubbs on the vice squad.

Now, at age 57 and living in New York, she reflects on that special time.

“It’s funny now I look around and watch TV now and go ,’It’s so much more exciting in the 80s’s.’ I would like to think Miami Vice was a big part of the fashion and hipness of the 80s,” she said.

• Like 1

Ahhh...the wonderful Ronald Reagan/Johnny Carson 1980's.  Everything was soooo new.  The last thing anyone wanted was to look or even be remotely connected w/ anything from the 1970's or earlier.  New clothes, new cars, new music, new hairstyles, new TV shows (MV),   It was called the "ME" superficial decade but it had more style and substance than any generate since.

I just finished watching 'Brother's Keeper' (pilot ep.) and you can STILL feel the excitement in the air as C&T are discussing Tubbs moving to Miami as they cruise down McArthur freeway.  It was the perfect conclusion to pilot ep..  All sound except the conversation is muted.  I can feel the cooling down as the sun sets, the salt air smell, the city coming to life.  What's so cool about that ending is it was a metaphor for the show and what it was about to become and ultimately be in American popular culture.  You can bet THAT very night in 1984 Miami there actually were millions of dollars buying/selling cocaine, Ferrari's,  mansions, Rolex watches, Huge Boss suits, etc.,  probably less than 25 miles from where that very scene was shot.  It was just so cool and exciting to have been there...even if you lived as I did 1,000 miles away.  You STILL felt you were a part of it.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 2

personnally i don't see any difference between the pilot, and any other good episode. for example when i see Evan hangar, or Bruce Willis red house, it makes me the same feeling than when i see Tubbs saying New york showing his plate in the pilot.

i love the series so much, that i even totally skip that fan part of research you know. know which weapon, which house, where that house was. sometimes i make a small reasearch about  something particular, but i want the series to live endlessly in my imagination. for example i learnt only very recently that one of my fav places, Lend me an ear big fish restaurant has disappeared. i want these places/things to live eternally. for me the big fish hasn't been destroyed it's still there somewhere. even if it's a small part of it, or under the form of a person. but it's there, and will always be

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S.FL84 said:

Does anyone else intentionally not watch the pilot ep. very often then when you do (2-3x/yr for me) you randomly watch and STILL feel that 1984 thrill of the first Sunday night when it premiered and it was absolutely incredible?

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page9.html

I was just thinking this the other day! I hadn't watched the pilot in ages, and it was on Starz, so I decided to give it a try.

Because so much time had gone by, I found it was really fresh and surprisingly, I fell in love with it all over again. How amazing this show can still entertain me!

I also enjoyed Heart of Darkness-an episode I used to push aside in favor of Hit List and Return of Calderone. After really paying attention this time, I discovered how important this episode was in developing the story of Sonny's struggle! Now, I appreciate it's value!

It's a lot of fun to go back and find things you never saw before. 

I just like to go back & "refeel" how new everything felt in 1984.  MV was introducing a dark, violent, extremely materialistic, superficial world to American audiences and it REALLY resonated w/ the world.   I really believe Miami is the Miami of today because of (1) relatively short-lived mid 1980's television show that was designed to really just be a music video come to life and take the viewer into world the music it was supposed to personify.  Nowadays NBC's entire budget couldn't afford to produce the pilot ep. much less an entire season.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Like 1