An Old TShirt

Kaloteck

Hey ppl,

what do you think is that ???

Is that done on purpose or just an oversight… but hey, with all that glamour and style around… how can it be?

Remember what he once said...

I'm trying to maintain a departmentally-approved cover here and if I keep showing up for six-figure drug deals lookin' like Li'I Abner, it ain't gonna cut it.

Yet, here he is wearing that...

(Season 5, Miami Squeeze)

cf7987ab78b532c2med.jpg

Edited by Kaloteck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

clothes with an hole in them weren't out of fashion in the 80s. could be a cloth that has a sentimental value also..

Also, DJ had a much larger say in what he wore in Season 5. He was trying to look more rugged and tough. 

• Like 2

Didn't he have a t-shirt with a hole in it in "The Great McCarthy"? Will have to check the episode. That seemed purposely, maybe this was an old worn out/reused shirt. Although it could also have been a consious fashion choice for his undercover persona. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

He’s often seen on his boat with an old holey shirt throughout the series. I just always thought it was his “at home” shirt. 

On that note, my “at home” shirt is a 1980s green t shirt with the Miami Vice Wellcraft Scarab on front. It has holes in it. :) 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

He’s often seen on his boat with an old holey shirt throughout the series. I just always thought it was his “at home” shirt. 

On that note, my “at home” shirt is a 1980s green t shirt with the Miami Vice Wellcraft Scarab on front. It has holes in it. :) 

really, where is the pic. we want pics!! :)

1 minute ago, jpm1 said:

really, where is the pic. we want pics!! :)

Okay. When I get home :) :) 

• Thanks 1

it's cool, really :thumbsup:. reminds me a great shirt i bought in Miami in the 80s. it had a huge seaplane on the back. man, i could kill to find it again

• Thanks 1

I've got the Eddie as Crockett Iron Maiden tour shirt floating around somewhere. Nowhere near as classic, but it makes for interesting discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2019 at 9:40 AM, Dadrian said:

Also, DJ had a much larger say in what he wore in Season 5. He was trying to look more rugged and tough. 

Is there a reference for this? It's an interesting piece of news to me, but I don't want to take it for gossip.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, Dadrian said:

I know you're right, but I'm struggling to think of even one episode where he wore one when he was just himself on the boat. When he was just chilling, especially in the morning, he usually went shirtless and just had on suit trousers. There's the one instance I can think of where he was reading a book (in season 3) on his boat when some villain came on board. I know that (unless someone here already figured it out) it was impossible to discern which book it was. Perhaps for another thread, but it's be interesting to see Crockett's book collection on the St. Vitus Dance...

As for the original question - I think that the holey shirt was just styles changing throughout the 80's. Vice sort of trailblazed a lot of styles in the first season, but it's not like they had all the clothes specially designed - they bought runway fashion stuff in the hues they liked. Season 3, 4, and 5 were C & T wearing high fashion stuff. Examples: Season 3 cutoff blazers, season 4 patterns, all of Rico's pattern/leopard print stuff. What was popular in '84...not the same in '89. The season 1 suits were basic colors but in (at the time) modern fits. Pretty tame, timeless stuff, outside of the white suit blue tee combo, which at this point is a Vice thing. Hell, tees with suits is back in this past year or two. But as the 80's reached a  conclusion, fashion (more apropos than "style") had gotten adventurous. The ripped tee was probably just supposed to be a tough guy, outcast, etc choice, and combined with the obvious salon hair Crockett had, I wouldn't say he was at risk for being taken lightly, or as 'small time'. This all leads me to speculate that if the show had just gone on indefinitely, you'd have seen the boys wearing grunge-y stuff, all the way to the current skinny suit style, which sadly even Her Majesty's agent 007 isn't immune to adopting. Makes me miss the cold war...

Which reminds me of one of my favorite vice quotes: "You should get a better table next time. This small table...it makes you look small time."

Edited by TheBustedFlush

The one I’m speaking of has a huge hole near the collar. The first image that comes to mind is in season 4 maybe? I thought there were some earlier ones, but I’ve been wrong hundreds of times :p

personnally i find these 'holed' clothes pretty bad ass. like the guy that is so wealthy that he doesn't even pay attention to others judgment anymore. perfect choice for an undercover cop. gives him a bit a man of the field/active smuggler/action man touch too. gives him a 'serious' smuggler look. a persuasive look

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:18 AM, TheBustedFlush said:

The ripped tee was probably just supposed to be a tough guy, outcast, etc choice, and combined with the obvious salon hair Crockett had, I wouldn't say he was at risk for being taken lightly, or as 'small time'.

I beg to differ, really...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 10:18 PM, TheBustedFlush said:

Is there a reference for this? It's an interesting piece of news to me, but I don't want to take it for gossip.

I know you're right, but I'm struggling to think of even one episode where he wore one when he was just himself on the boat. 

Here’s the first time we see it. “One-Eyed Jack”. Season 1, episode 6:

993C7249-9502-40BF-8776-B068DEE934C6.jpeg

• Thanks 1