FASHION FOR THE 80'S

mjcmmv

Thank you for sharing! Always interesting to read about, how the iconic Vice style of Crockett was invented. I didn't know Michael Mann came up with the t-shirt under blazer combination. I thought, it was the fashion/costume designer Jodie Tillen. DJ said the removal of belt and no socks choice was due to the heat, but according to Tillen it was, due that Crockett's high fashion uniform had to only have a functional purpose. Also what surprised me was, that they didn't have a large enough budget for Crockett and Tubbs wardrobe to buy expensive brands like Hugo Boss in S2, when the show was at the height of their popularity. Whaat!? But nonetheless they worked it out. :) And Tubbs style should have stayed more casual like the early episodes without blazer and tie, but just a buttoned down shirt and sunglasses. He looked cooler, that way. Like in "Cool Runnin". Poor Tubbs in the heat. Although they did rehearse without their jackets on. He said, it was also part of his own personal style at the time. DJ also adapted the shows look in his real life. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

Interesting article to be sure.  I like that a lot of 80's fashion is coming back, especially the pastel colors.  It is much easier to style yourself when things are readily available at stores like Macys and Kohls.  You can adopt a modern take on Miami Vice style on a budget.  I have been able to put together a decent base season 2 Crockett wardrobe for very little money if you don't count the Ray Bans.  :)  The key is buying combos that you can mix and match.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

Realizing how small in stature many of the Latino men playing gangsters and drug dealers on Miami Vice were, she applied a lesson she’d learned as a student of costume history. She recalled how Queen Elizabeth I had worn incredibly wide garments, extending up to 25 inches off either hip. “By taking up that much space, it gave her authority over the room because people had to move out of her way,” explains Breakstone. So she dressed the men in bigger clothes. With minimal time for alterations, rolling up the sleeves was simply a necessity.

That's an interesting take on it and something I was unaware of. I knew that power dressing was a big thing back then, but didn't realize that smaller people would actually dress to compensate - or rather, costume designers.

• Like 2

Shoulder pads were a big thing in the 80s.  A LOT of women's clothing had it built in.

Even though I did wear baggy clothes in the 90's, I much prefer slim fit now, not as much for pants but shirts.  In the early 90's I was Zack from Saved by the Bell.

Lady Gaga ;) with Dolph dressed in MV style back in 1986. How other celebrities carried the Crockett/Vice look. Incredible to think, how the show's style influenced men's fashion. 1559597055295.jpg.9dbc1a803aec4c93dd1f86bdd7478900.jpg

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Shoulder pads were a big thing in the 80s.  A LOT of women's clothing had it built in.

Even though I did wear baggy clothes in the 90's, I much prefer slim fit now, not as much for pants but shirts.  In the early 90's I was Zack from Saved by the Bell.

To be honest, I don't like shoulder pads or baggy fits. I like the relaxed, casual look of Crockett's unstructured clothing but not the baggy clothes that were a trademark of '80s excess.

However, I realize that Crockett sometimes had baggy fits, namely in seasons 4 and 5 mostly. I'm not a fan of those seasons in general anyways. Late '80s fashion was honestly pretty bad.