Apocalypse Now (1979) Coming to Bluray Remastered From the Negatives, in 4K

James

• Administrators

I have to share this because I am excited for it, even though I've already seen the movie multiple times. Apocalypse Now got a full remaster/reedit, and they went back to the original negatives (like how we wished Miami Vice was done), and it looks absolutely amazing! 

Another trailer showing that it will release on Bluray.

It really looks like it was filmed yesterday!

Of course, the trailer is only in 1080p, but the movie will release in 4K with a "Final Cut" version which is extended from the theatrical release. And I heard it may also include the Theatrical release and the Redux which is even longer than the Final Cut version. 

Who else loves this movie? 

Great show.  IMO as a VN Vet there is more truth in this movie than most people realize.  For just one example, it was such a bizzare combination to have Go Go girls in the middle of isolated jungle DZs.  I knew a commander like the Airmobile LTC played by Robert Duvall.  "The HORROR!"

• Like 1

Michael Mann has stated that this is his favorite film. It's one of mine as well. Regarding the go go girls, you have to remember that this is a twisted version of The Odyssey and the dancers serve as the Sirens here. It is also Paradise Lost, with Kurtz as Lucifer having been cast out for doing things his own way (one of his famous missions was Archangel) as well as Dante's Inferno-things get worse the further down river (Styx) they go and the further they get from the light of civilization and American military influence.

• Like 1

I've been an Apocalypse fan forever. I think I've got about every version that's been released, and used to drive a roommate nuts quoting whole sections of it just because. I also take it as an allegory of what Vietnam did to the military and the impact combat can have on those who take part. Each character on the boat signifies one aspect of that.

14 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Great show.  IMO as a VN Vet there is more truth in this movie than most people realize.  For just one example, it was such a bizzare combination to have Go Go girls in the middle of isolated jungle DZs.  I knew a commander like the Airmobile LTC played by Robert Duvall.  "The HORROR!"

You're quite right about the girls. That show is nowhere near as unique or unusual as many seem to assume.

Edited by Robbie C.