Filming Miami Vice

mjcmmv

The technical effort's and thinking behind every shot was astounding. Has there ever been a show with this much detail and realism? I doubt it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

Fun watching them film the pilot!

It's hard to get banks to fire full automatic, not enough energy to cause the recoil.  For training the military attaches blank adapters to the muzzles but even that doesn't always work well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The technical effort's and thinking behind every shot was astounding. Has there ever been a show with this much detail and realism? I doubt it.

Thats because there was a "strange" thing known as artistry...then unlike now.  Now its just make a cheap, half-assed copy of something daddy did 30yrs ago because the idiots of today are totally incapable of an independent idea and even when they do its cheaply shown on netflix and forgotten about in less than 6 months .  In OUR day no kids went on shooting rampages..nowadays ALL kids wanna do is go on shooting rampages because their sooo unhappy.  Life sucks sh#@ nowadays...unlike wonderful 1984-86.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, miamijimf said:

It's hard to get banks to fire full automatic, not enough energy to cause the recoil.  For training the military attaches blank adapters to the muzzles but even that doesn't always work well.

Nowadays they would CGI it.  Too bad they can CGI a relevant story w/a real plot and some substance.  Nowadays the only shock value tool they have are two homosexuals adopting some chinese orphan or two dykes tongue kissing.

I am totally serious about what I allege.  The world was SOOO much freakin' fun in 1984 and seemed so limitless that there simply wasn't enough time in the day to do it all.  Nowadays it ALL been done to death and the only happiness is talking about how good things used to 30+yrs ago.  The days were boring as hell but the nights were a totally different world to explore. Nowadays the only people who go out and party are drug addict losers and idiots.    In 1984 EVERY freakin' person I know partied at least (1) night per wk, unlike me who at my peak was partying freakin 4-5 nights a damn week.  Goddam those were some good days!!!

In 1984 nobody gave a sh$# about 1983, much less 1953!!!.  Nowadays as exemplified by Vin Diesel and the Magnum, p.i. reboot all people wanna do is talk about things 30+yrs ago.  < This is saying something VERY clearly about how things are today.

Edited by S.FL84

@S.FL84:

I think a big part of it is that we're simply getting old. There is no nicer way to put it. :p

We all have, or had our wild days, and once they are over and done, we start scratching our heads at the kids that come after us. We don't understand their lifestyle, we don't get what makes them tick. It's a foreign world to us.

Our parents were no different though. They grew up in the late 50s and early 60s, when old-school rock and roll wasn't called old school but was the hottest new craze. Our neon or pastel colored clothing and our electronicky 80s music and those weird 8-bit computers were probably just as mind blowing to them.

I agree with you though on the reboots. It all kind of seems like they've run out of ideas. But also, I would imagine that media companies nowadays are much less willing to try genuinely new things. Because there is always the risk of failure associated with stepping into uncharted territory. With Miami Vice, they took that leap and hit a home run with it. But many other shows failed, and always will fail. And with today's tight profit margins, reboots probably seem like a safe bet, because you'll already have a fan base - if you do it right - and your rebooted show will do plenty of its own marketing that way.

Miami Vice actually wasn't doing all that well in the ratings in autumn of 1984 and spring of 1985. It only started gaining traction during the 1985 summer reruns. But producers and network executives were willing to give a show time to develop back in those days. Not like today, where they sometimes cancel shows in the middle of their first season when the ratings are below target.

One thing though - people DID care about the 50s in the 80s. From about 1985-86 onwards, there was a big worldwide retro trend where 1950s styles, music and fashion were suddenly hip again. Helped by a whole slew of 1950s themed movies like Stand By Me or Absolute Beginners, and things like period Levi's commercials and stars like Madonna suddenly appearing in petticoats. It lasted until about 1991, when some lifestyle magazine I remember reading back then said that the 50s were suddenly uncool and the 60s were the next big retro wave... :hippie: :p

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All I know is in 30+ damn years nothing has beaten MV. Nothing!!! Or we'd be taking about the new incredible show..... But we're not.  We're still talking about MIAMI VICE! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1