The More Things Change... (part II)

Robbie C.

Castillo looked up from his notes. “So he bit on the heroin?”

“Sounded like it to me.” Crockett nodded. “He was all bent that we went to someone else, but shut up fast when I told him Mr. Cooper might take all his business elsewhere.”

Stan chuckled. “I heard that call. You should hear the one he made ten seconds after you hung up.”

Tubbs leaned in. “Who did he call? Pedrosa? Moncado?”

Trudy shook her head. “Neither. He called someone named Tio. He hasn't come up before, but I'd say he's the one who's sitting on Reno's heroin. He asked for a sample and some extra handlers.”

Crockett nodded. “More guns. Makes sense he'd want more firepower on hand after the rules changed.”

“That and for the coke.” Trudy checked her notes again. “Right after that he made six calls to warehouses and other locations. Sounded like he's setting up the goods for movement. I'd say you're looking at most of it going by truck, judging from where the calls went. He's moving his older product out first.”

“Maybe we should look for 'sell by' dates on the samples.” Tubbs laughed.

“I can get you a sniper team if you want cover.” Castillo looked from Crockett to Tubbs. “I don't think Reno would be looking for anyone five hundred yards out.”

“FBI?” Tubbs shook his head. “No thanks. They might shoot us by mistake.”

“Marshal's service. Former Marines.”

“In that case, yes.” Crockett nodded. “Meeting's at the same dock as before, and if Reno's going to try anything it'll be there. He knows Cooper won't follow him to someplace new, and his boys will be watching me, I mean Burnett, close.”

“You won't be wired. Switek can get close with a parabolic, but reception is bad.”

“Have them give us cover if anything goes south.” Crockett pulled a photo of the dock out of his folder. “If we're careful they won't be able to box us in on the dock. Snipers can pin them down and confuse them enough to cover any retreat we have to make. But if that happens the deal's blown.”

Stan cleared his throat. “What about SWAT, lieutenant? Can we have a team ready to at least haul in Reno if that happens?”

“Yes, but Reno does us no good. He can be replaced in ten minutes. We need Moncado, and if Joplin's analysis is correct we have to go through Pedrosa to get to him.”

Crockett snapped his fingers, the sound sharp in the quiet room. “If the sniper has to engage, we'll try to spin it as a rival dealer of some kind. Accuse Reno of setting us up. It's not much, I know, but...”

“If it comes to that, sell it.” Castillo pushed back from the table. “I need to make a call. Tubbs, you'll have the buy money in place by ten tomorrow morning. Take cash for the heroin.”

Once the office door closed, Stan looked around the table and whistled low. “Damn. Before that would have taken a week. Now it's a couple of phone calls.”

Tubbs nodded, then looked at Crockett. “What changed your mind about the shooters, Sonny?”

“We had a pair of scout-snipers attached to our MP company in Vietnam for a couple of weeks.” Sonny leaned back, forcing his mind to visit a time he'd rather forget. “They sighted in their rifles at 800 yards. Remember that shooter we took out a few years back? He was good, but these guys are better.” He sighed, remembering the slender body and hot eyes of the girl who'd tried to have him killed. The daughter of one of his dead buddies from Nam.

“If you're solid, I'm solid.” Tubbs laughed, stretching and standing up. “I'm also hungry. Trudy, you and Stan want to catch dinner with us?”

“I'd love to, Rico, but I've...” She looked toward the closed door and blushed. “I've got plans.”

“I'll go if you two don't mind a fourth.” Stan spoke as he gathered up his briefing notes and photos. “Gina should be off soon and I'm sure she'd like to catch up.”

Gina.Sonny took a deep breath. It has to happen sooner or later. Hell. Might as well be now. “Sure. You pick the place.”

“How about Fontino's in an hour? It's far enough out the players don't like it, and the food's good.”

Tubbs winked. “We'll meet you there. And we'll take the Caddy. Reno's boys got a good look at the Ferrari. No point in advertising.”

Fontino's was an old-style supper club time seemed to have forgotten. North of the city, it served great steaks and passable Italian food to retirees spending their last few years pretending to be rich and important. Dark and smoky inside, with framed prints of Bogey in his private eye roles, Fontino's invited no questions and revealed no secrets.

The Caddy's wheels crunched over gravel as Tubbs turned into a parking space away from the circles of yellow thrown by the lot's pole-mounted lights. “No reason to advertise,” he said as he turned the big car off.

“I agree.” Crockett looked around, losing count of the number of Lincoln Continentals and Cadillacs parked in close to the awning-shaded door. “I wonder how Stan found this place?”

“Probably running down cigar smugglers. Guidos from Joisey wearing Cuban shirts love places like this.” Tubbs chuckled. “Let's go mingle!”

The manager intercepted them seconds after they walked through the door. “You must be Stanley's friends! He's waiting for you at his table in the back. Please, come with me.”

Stan Switek dominated the back booth. Gina sat next to him, smiling at something he said just before Crockett and Tubbs came into view. Sonny's mouth almost fell open when he saw Stan, dressed in a well-cut suit that looked more like something Tubbs would wear, stand up and smile. “You're here! Rudy, drinks for my guests. We'll order in ten minutes.”

Tubbs looked from Stan to Gina and back again. “Did we just step into the Twilight Zone?”

“No. I worked a cigar smuggling case here a few months back. Rolled up a couple of would-be mobsters from some dump in New Jersey, but the cover's too good to give up. Rudy there thinks I'm some kind of underboss with connections to Havana, and I just don't have the heart to tell him no.”

Tubbs gave Crockett an 'I told you so' look and laughed. “I'd buy cigars from you, Stan. No questions asked!”

“Good, because that's why Rudy thinks you're both here. He'll keep people away, and I already swept the booth. Not a bug to be found.”

Sonny nodded, looking across the table at Gina. Her hair was cut shorter than he remembered, but the worry lines around her eyes were also gone. She looked happy, and almost glowed every time she looked at Stan. “Great cover, Stan. And durable. The best ones are.” He looked at her again. “You look good Gina.”

“Thanks, Sonny.” She smiled, but without the hidden meaning it used to carry. “So do you.”

“Naw. I look the same as ever. You look...happy.” Rudy bustled back, and Sonny waited until the man dropped off drinks and scurried away again. “Stan says you're with victim services now.”

“That's right. They need a detective or two to help with the worst cases.” She paused, then smiled again. “It's good work. Rewarding work. I help girls get off the streets. Not just stand on the corners with them wondering if they'll be there the next night or if someone will find them cold in an alley.”

“Good. That's work I could never do.” He tasted the Black Jack on his tongue as he sipped his drink. “And you two look good together.” To his surprise he wasn't lying. He'd never seen Stan or Gina looking as happy as they did now.

“I'm glad you said that, Sonny. I...”

“No. You were right. You needed to move on, and I'm glad you did. And with a great guy.” He looked over at Stan, deep in conversation with Tubbs about the merits of some cigar or another. “Stan's one of the best guys I know. He's all heart. You two can be there for each other. That's what it takes. I learned that from Caitlin.”

“You're right.” She looked over at Stan and smiled. It lit up her face and eyes in a way Sonny had never seen before. “He talks to me about everything, and I can talk to him about the girls and he understands. His gambling is done now, thank God, and we talk about it, too.”

“Good. We tried once, but...” Sonny took another drink. “I'm not a good talker, Gina. Never have been. Not until Caitlin. I don't know why I could talk to her, but I could. When you find someone like that, never let them go.”

“It's because it was real, Sonny.” She smiled again. “I was so jealous of you two until Stan and I got close. Now I understand. Maybe someday you'll...”

He stopped her with a raised finger. “I doubt it. If it happens, it happens. But for now I need to stay focused on the job.”

Before they could say much else, Rudy returned with menus the size of a dictionary. Stan waved him off, ordering for all four with a confidence Crockett had never seen hi show before. Rudy scribbled away on his pad, nodding with each choice, and disappeared back toward the kitchen. “That should keep him off our backs for a few minutes.” Stan chuckled. “We need more booze, I just need to snap my fingers.”

Tubbs waved his hand and bowed his head. “My man, you have this place wired! And I mean wired!”

“The trick is to come in about once a month and put on the show. That and I might have helped him out with some protection issues he was having.”

“Take out a low-level problem and pose as his higher-level protector.” Tubbs laughed. “Guess you learned something from watching me all these years.”

Crockett laughed along with the rest. “Seriously, Stan, this is good work. You've got a solid, easy to maintain cover and a secure meeting spot you can use for just about anything. Who was running the protection racket?”

“Some local kids who'd seen 'The Godfather' one time too many.” Stan laughed and finished his scotch. “We're far enough up the coast here the connected outfits don't waste their time. Not enough money in it. I did my homework before I stepped on 'em.” Looking at his empty glass, he snapped his fingers. “Looks like we're due for a refill all around.”

The food was excellent in a heavy 'meat and potatoes' way, reminding Sonny of TV shows he'd watched on the family's flickering black and white TV. Steak and lobster, twice baked potatoes, and coffee and cigars to close out the evening. Tubbs leaned back against the padded booth wall and sighed, sending a stream of smoke toward the ceiling. “I won't have to eat tomorrow. That's for sure.”

“You never leave Fontino's hungry,” Stan agreed, lighting his own cigar. “And don't ask about dessert. You'll never get out the door. Maybe not out of the booth.”

Gina laughed, a musical sound between the clatter of cutlery on china plates and murmuring voices around them. “He's not joking. I had dessert here once and Stan practically had to carry me out.”

“True story.” Stan laughed. “I think it was our second real date. I'm thinking I have to impress her, and damned near killed her with dessert.”

Crockett made a show of looking at his watch. “Well, kids, I think we'd best head back into town. Lots to do tomorrow.”

Tubbs waved Rudy over. “It was good doing business with you, Stanley. My associates in New York will be impressed. The least I can do is pay for dinner.” He handed two hundred dollar bills to a flabbergasted Rudy. “Keep the change, my man.” Once the manager tottered off, Tubbs grinned. “Gotta help shore up that cover.”

“He'll share it with the crew.” Stan nodded his appreciation. “Rudy's part owner, I think. But he's good to his people. One reason I keep coming here.”

“It was good to see you again, Gina.” Sonny smiled, letting the feeling touch his eyes. “You and Stan look after each other. It's good to see both of you so happy.”

The Caddy was eating up pavement heading back to Miami before Tubbs spoke. “You ok, partner?”

“Yeah.” Crockett sighed. “No, I really am ok, Rico. It was good to see Gina happy. Stan, too. Knowing they're in good hands makes it easier to focus on what needs doing.” It was also good to know that part of his past wasn't going to keep floating up. Gina was chasing a dream. I'm glad she finally found one of her own to hold on to.

“I agree, partner. And we're gonna need focus. I get the feeling things are about to heat up.”

The sun had just stuck its head over the rolling ocean when the task force gathered for a quick briefing. “The snipers are already in position.” Castillo pointed to a building almost 800 yards from the dock. “They went in during the night and have the meeting location in view. You have almost total coverage. The only spot they can't overwatch is the far side of the boat shed. Try to avoid it if you can.”

Tubbs gave a low whistle. “Already in position? Damn. These are some hard-core dudes.”

“That team I worked with would wait days if they needed to. Total professionals.” Sonny shook his head. “Scary as hell sometimes, but total professionals.”

Trudy nodded. “They'll let us know when Reno's security comes on station, too. Stan has secure communications with them.”

Sonny looked across the table at Switek. “Any chatter we need to know about?”

“Nothing out of the ordinary. Reno and this Tio burned up the lines a bit last night around midnight, mostly working out where Tio's boys would meet Reno with the product and how many would be there.” Stan looked at his scribbled notes. “Sorry...I've been transcribing cokehead Spanish since three this morning. I'd say you're looking at maybe six shooters and Reno. He didn't want Tio at the meet, and he hasn't said a word to Nicky, either.”

“What about the cocaine?” Castillo leaned forward. “That's our real target.”

“His talk about that is way more routine. It's positioned to move from three warehouses.” Stan chuckled. “One by land and two by sea unless you change it up on him. DEA has assets in place to make the pickups posing as Burnett's people. Looks like a hundred keys at each location. His normal drill is to give a buyer the locations and get half the money up front. Once the pickup is made the second payment goes through.”

“Good. I can call 'my people' from the car.” Sonny reached under his jacket, feeling the big 4506 riding in his shoulder rig. “Sounds like we're about ready.”

“Wait.” Castillo's voice was low and allowed for no dispute. “This is our first real operation. Things need to go smoothly if we want to take down Maynard. Our objective is the cocaine deal first, the heroin second. If he makes trouble, let the heroin go for now. We can try for it again later if we have to. We need to prove this works.”

Sonny nodded, seeing the quick stab of pain in Trudy's eyes. “Understood, lieutenant. I think we can swing both, but the coke comes first.”

“Solid.” Tubbs nodded as well. “But Cooper can dangle a big enough carrot in front of his nose that the chump won't be able to resist.”

“Take no chances. The objective is to get Pedrosa or Moncado at the next buy. Whoever's next in line.” Castillo looked at each detective in turn, making sure they understood. He took extra seconds with Trudy. “We will take out the heroin,” he said in a low voice. “You have my word. It just might take longer.”

“I understand.” She nodded, but Sonny could see tears welling in her eyes. “I do.”

“Weapons check in five.” Sonny took control as soon as Castillo looked down. “Better get that six-gun of yours oiled, partner.”

It was a ritual he followed before every big meet...every possible bust. Sonny Crockett ejected the magazines from the Smith & Wesson 4506 under his arm and the Detonics at his ankle along with the chambered round in each weapon. Then he went over them carefully, working the slides, reloading each magazine, making sure everything was clean and feeding properly. Then the magazines went back in, he worked the slide on each pistol to chamber a fresh round, then pushed the safety up on the Detonics and down on the 4506. Just like a race driver he took no shortcuts with the tools of his trade.

In the end he looked at both pistols sitting on the table, waiting to go back in their holsters. The stainless steel .45 ACPs, one big and one small, picked up and reflected shards of light from the overhead fixtures. They looked to be waiting for him, even though he knew both were inanimate objects incapable of any kind of feeling. His mind knew that. His heart knew otherwise. Shaking his head, he holstered both weapons and turned to where Tubbs was completing his own checks. “Ready to go, partner?”

“As ready as I'll ever be.” Grinning, Tubbs jammed his compact .38 Smith & Wesson into a hip holster and hefted his cutdown pump shotgun. “Just in case I need more than two shots this time out.”

“Yeah. With any luck they won't ever see the light of day.” He slipped on a dark linen blazer and with it the skin of Burnett. “Looks like we got an hour until the meet. Take us about half that to get there.”

“Solid. I'll check comms with Stan one more time.”

Nodding, Sonny looked across the room and spotted Trudy coming out of Castillo's office. “Anything new for us?”

“No, Sonny. Reno's on his way to the meeting spot now. We think he's picking up this Tio on the way, but that could change. Stan says there's lots of disorganized chatter there.”

“Good.” He moved closer, seeing faint fear in her eyes. “Don't worry, darlin'. It's a walk in the park, and with those two covering us there's nothing to worry about.”

“It's not that. Sonny...Martin and I...”

“I know. And I'm glad.” He raised his hand when she started to speak. “Hear me out, Trudy. Please. The two of you have suffered. God knows how much. I know what I found with Caitlin, and if you and Marty think you found that, grab it with both damned hands and never let go. Same thing I told Stan and Gina last night.” He thought of the ring on the chain under his shirt. “Never let go if you find it,” he repeated, turning away before his eyes betrayed him.

The hot Miami sun beat down on the Ferrari as it whipped in and out of Miami traffic heading east to the docks. Sonny focused mostly on driving, avoiding the old women doddering along in their Lincolns mixed in with work trucks and the inevitable taxis. “Damn tourists,” he muttered, downshifting and cutting off a taxi hogging the left lane while doing well under the speed limit.

“You need to chill, partner. Be glad you ain't in New York. We'd still be nine blocks back waiting for the light to change.”

“I know, Tubbs.” Sonny grinned, mashing down on the accelerator and feeling the Ferrari surge forward into a brief gap in the traffic. “Just getting the game face on.”

“You expecting trouble?”

“Naw. Not on a first buy.” He gestured toward the metal briefcase on the floor between Tubbs' knees. “Still, that much green might make someone anxious.”

“Or greedy. Like Tio.”

“Could be. We don't know him. He's not part of Maynard's network so he's not going to be disciplined.” Sonny downshifted again and cut around another lumbering taxi. “At least ol' Captain Real Estate keeps his thugs in line.”

“Sounds like you got a plan.”

“Not really. But if things go south that sniper will start dropping threats. That will confuse Reno's security. If it comes to it, try to grab Reno alive and get him out of there. We pose as his saviors...”

“He'll owe us big time. And so will Moncado and this chump Pedrosa. But what if the sniper takes him out?”

“He'll engage threats. They work in pairs so one can spot targets for the other. And I don't see Reno running toward the sound of the guns. They'll also have orders to avoid shooting us.” He grinned. “That's why I went basic black today.”

“And here I thought it was because you finally got some fashion sense.” Tubbs was about to say something else when the car phone buzzed. He answered, listened for a few seconds, and hung up. “That was Castillo. Reno and his boys are in position.”

Crockett parked the Ferrari at the street end of the dock a few minutes before noon. Heat shimmered off the dark asphalt, and he prepared himself for the blast when he opened the door. Through the waves he could see men clustered around an awning-shaded table halfway down the dock. “Showtime,” he muttered to Tubbs as he stepped out, feeling the heat from the parking lot baking through the soles of his shoes.

They were halfway down the dock when Reno waved. “Mr. Cooper! Burnett! Hell of a day, ain't it? Can't get enough of this South Florida sunshine!”

“Says the man hiding under an umbrella,” Tubbs muttered before returning the wave with a half-gesture of his hand. “Just tell me everything's set and the day will get better.”

Crockett surveyed the group from behind his sunglasses. “That skinny punk must be Tio. Looks like he's got two shooters with him. From the way Reno's boys are posted they don't trust Tio.”

Tubbs inclined his head to show he'd heard, then stopped. “Who's the chump who looks like he needs a bath? I don't like strange faces when I do business, Reno.”

Reno raised his hand, stopping Tio from saying or doing something stupid. “Didn't Burnett tell you? This is the guy with the H you were looking for. Your broker would have come to me, so this takes out the middle man and his commission.”

“I told him, Reno, but Mr. Cooper still ain't into new faces. They handle things different in New York, I hear.” Sonny stepped closer and favored them with one of his thin Burnett grins. “Can't say he's wrong about you needing a bath, though, pal. And you'd best tell your date on the right to stop moving for that gun in his waistband or I'll blow his kneecap off.”

“Tio, control your people.” Reno's voice was a bark. “Burnett here takes security seriously.” He waved toward the shaded table. “Now why don't we sit down and be gentlemen about this?”

Sonny only paid partial attention to the dickering at the table. The deal was Tubbs' world, and he was damned good at it. But the more Sonny watched him, the more he didn't trust Tio. Dealers who used their own product were never safe bets, and Tio's sunken eyes and pale skin spoke to heavy use. Junkies were unpredictable at best, and the way Tio's eyes kept darting from the silver case to his men and back again kept Crockett on edge. Without looking he knew the sniper had a clear shot at all three, and he also knew the spotter was watching the whole thing go down through a high-powered spotting scope.

“...So we're agreed you can handle one unit moving by land and two by sea.” Reno looked up at Tubbs.

“What do you think, Burnett?”

Sonny brought himself back to the deal. “Yeah. No problem. Equal weight?”

Reno shook his head. “No. Two hundred by land and fifty each over the water.”

“Even better. All I need are the locations and it's as good as done.” He took a step toward the table. “My best guy will be overseeing one personally. Just to make sure things go as advertised. You don't need to know which one.”

“You're right. I don't. Because there will be no problems.”

Tubbs nodded. “Half down, the other half by wire when the last load's picked up.”

“Agreed.” Reno pulled two slips of paper out of his pocket. “Bank info's there, along with the locations for you, Burnett.”

“Are they all ready to go?”

“Yep. Your people just need to say they're picking up Cooper's dry cleaning.”

“Good.” Sonny took the paper with the addresses. “I'll send my people to one now. Good faith.”

“Of course.” Reno leaned back in his chair with a grin on his face. “Do what you gotta do.”

“What about my business?” It was the first time Tio spoke, and his voice confirmed Sonny's thoughts about a dealer using his own product.

“We'll get to that as soon as Burnett makes his call.”

Back at the Ferrari, Crockett used the car phone to relay the location of one of the waterfront warehouses. “Should be fifty keys of coke. Say you're there for Cooper's dry cleaning. Make it quick, too. They're waiting on us. Yeah...page me when it's secure.” Turning back toward the table, he could see Tio waving his arms and the hot breeze carried snatches of shouted words back toward the lot. Damn it. Don't have a junkie meltdown now, you moron.

When he got in ear range he could hear Tubbs' voice rising. “You better get your man under control, Reno. My people don't like loose cannons, and this chump is starting to get on my damned nerves!”

Sonny could feel his heart pounding, and focused his entire being on slowing it down. Instead of running, he walked up on the scene, his right hand inside the left front of his blazer. “What isthis, Reno? I turn my back for ten seconds and your boy here starts making waves? If you can't control him, I will.”

Tio had wild hair and crazy eyes accented by swirling tribal circles tattooed around the sockets, making them look almost skeletal in the bright Miami sun. “You don't tell me, man! I...” He screamed as the 4506 cracked down on his wrist, trapped in Sonny's strong left hand grip.

“Either of you move you're dead where you stand.” Sonny looked from Tio's first man to the second. “And then your boss gets his. Low, where it hurts and he spends the rest of his life crapping in a bag in a chair.”

Tio's voice was a soprano squeak. “Easy, man. Easy. We all good here.”

Reno's eyes were wide. “He's on his own, Burnett. Cooper and I were talking business and he went crazy.”

“That's what happens when you try the party favors.” Crockett looked into Tio's eyes, seeing pain and fear and pinpoint heroin pupils. He could smell the rank junkie sweat pouring off the man. Sneering under his sunglasses he stuffed the big stainless steel pistol back into his shoulder rig and tossed Tio to the boards like a soggy bag of trash. “Be glad you're Reno's guest. Otherwise you'd be dead.” He turned back to Reno, ignoring the sobbing wreck at his feet. “My people are on their way to the first location. They'll page once they've got the cargo loaded and then I'll call in the other two.”

“Sounds fair.”

Tubbs looked from Reno to Tio and back. “I'll overlook this little problem provided everything else goes smooth. But I still need that other product. Can't say I have much faith in your supplier, though.”

“He's not my supplier. He just stored it.” Reno looked back at his men. “Get this piece of garbage out of here. His boys give you any trouble, hurt them.”

“And that's the pager. Looks like everything's golden. I'll make the calls.”

Tubbs nodded. “So will I. You'll have the money within the hour. We'll talk later about that other business.”

“So Tio's out?” Castillo looked up from the reports laid out on the table. “What does that leave us?”

“Quiet a bit, lieutenant.” Tubbs grinned. “Reno was so embarrassed he offered up pretty much his whole stock for a song. I've got the buy money request ready to go. He bought that I needed to get in touch with my people in New York.”

“Hell, he would have bought the damned Brooklyn Bridge.” Sonny chuckled, pushing Burnett back down deep inside. “He was just glad Burnett didn't shoot Tio and his boys out of hand.” He looked at his own notes. “All three shipments were picked up clean.”

“And the wire transfers went through. We've got Reno any time we want him.”

“Not yet. I want that heroin and we need the next link in the chain.”

“Reno said he'd call my hotel as soon he confirmed the transfers.”

Stan nodded. “Call came through about five minutes back. Chez Bug Van might not have room service but it has a good switchboard. He left a callback number.”

“Good. I'll hit him up in the morning.”

“Keep at it.” Castillo looked up and gave the team a quick smile. “I'll be keeping that sniper team on call until this operation's over.”

“Did Trudy ever track down Manny?”

“She's out talking to the girl now. We should hear back by the end of the day.” Castillo gathered up the reports. “Do you really think Moreno is worth finding?”

“I do.” Crockett closed his notebook. “Izzy's an annoying little rat, but he knows damned near everything that goes on out there. With Noogie gone, he's all we have left. If this Pedrosa's a player Izzy might have heard of him.”

“I'll keep listening, lieutenant. See if Reno's boys let anything slip.”

“Focus on any mention of Pedrosa. We need more on him.” Castillo stood up. “I'll reach out again and see if any other agencies are tracking him.”

“Good idea.” Crockett got to his feet as well, suddenly wanting out of the office. The air and space of the boat was calling for no reason he could determine. “If he's really this Moncado's point man for South Florida he must have popped on someone's radar.” Turning, he headed for the door. “I'll be on the boat if anyone needs me.”

“Care for some company?” Tubbs asked as he got up. “It's been a couple of days since an alligator tried to take a chunk out of me.”

“Aw, why the hell not, Tubbs. Let's blow this pop stand.”

“Can you believe that chump almost blew the whole deal?” Tubbs let cigar smoke trickle through his lips into the cooling night air. The sun was a red memory on the western horizon, and the St. Vitus Dancebobbed gently beside the pier.

Crockett shook his head. “That's what happens when the dealer starts using the product. Doesn't say much for Reno that he didn't notice.”

“Yeah. That chump's strictly small time who got promoted above his ability.”

“Maybe that's it.” Sonny lit a Lucky Strike with a battered Ronsen lighter and drew the smoke in to punctuate his thought. “Maybe he waspromoted. Maybe this Pedrosa used to be Reno and moved up the food chain. That might explain why he's not coming up on searches.”

“Right. We were thinking he was big time before. If he was small time and proved himself...”

“He'd be almost invisible to the Feds. Hell, there's so many small time players down here we don't even know who they all are.”

“We should let Castillo know.”

“Plenty of time for that in the morning, Tubbs. You call the man now, he'd head right for the office.” Sonny let the smoke hiss out through his nostrils. “Let him enjoy his time away.”

“Yeah...I get it. Trudy's got that girl looking for Manny and...”

“Joo got it, man.” Sonny chuckled as he imitated Izzy's accent. “Although we might want to think about what might happen if Tio tries to deal himself back in.”

“You think he will?”

“He sure as hell could. I can't see a junkie like him walking away from free access to a supply like he had. He didn't seem too scared of Reno, that's for sure.”

“No, he didn't. Burnett's another story, though.”

“Yeah, and cowards like him are dangerous. He's a junkie, which makes him unpredictable on top of everything else.” Sonny leaned back on the settee cushions, smiling as he heard Elvis snuffling up on the bow.

“Maybe Metro-Dade can pick him up once we scoop up the heroin.”

“If he waits that long. The damned ball's in his court now. All I'm saying is watch your back until we have the heroin.”

“That's assuming Reno doesn't have him whacked.”

Sonny sighed, looking at the glowing end of his cigarette. “I don't think he will, Rico. Reno's not a tough guy, no matter how much he acts the part. He knows Tio from somewhere in his past, and that will make it hard for him to have the trigger pulled. If he wanted to hit the little punk, I think he would have done it on the dock to show us how tough he is.”

“Yeah.” Tubbs slapped at a bug that had been buzzing around his face. “Next time we go to my pad, Sonny. You should see the place.”

“Another of those no-tell motels with tissue paper walls?”

“No, man. Castillo did me right this time. I got a penthouse in one of those new towers. Views all around, central air, Jacuzzi tub. No bugs trying to steal your drink.” Tubbs laughed, the sound echoing out over the water. “All it needs is about four pretty ladies lounging on the couches.”

“Sounds like Cooper finally hit the big time.”

“Yeah, and we need to use that to get to Pedrosa. Somehow.”

“Reno can only handle so much weight. We know that. We need to find his max load and push past it.”

“Or make it look like he can't handle the job. Maybe use this chump Tio somehow.”

“Or the heroin.” Sonny took a final drag on his cigarette before crushing it out. “If Pedrosa came up through Mondaco's organization and wasn't moving H, he's not going to be happy when he finds out Reno is. We'll keep our options open until we find out more about Pedrosa.”

“Do you really think this will track us back to Maynard?”

“I hope so, Rico. That man's got a lot to answer for.”

“He's a smart cat, though. Keeps himself well-insulated.”

“Yeah, but Castillo's got a good plan. He needs money to buy his guns and mercs. If we break the money supply, he has to come out in the open to fix it. He can always find another arms dealer. But a good narcotics pipeline takes time to set up and run, especially one that can move the weight Reno's got right now. I'm guessing Maynard doesn't have that kind of time.”

“You think he was involved in Costa Morada?”

“At some level I'm sure he was. Guys like Maynard don't like sitting on the sidelines if there's a way they can get in the game. And back in Nam he had his finger in everything. Don't see any reason to think that's changed.” Sonny looked out over the water, picking out the blinking running lights of sailboats and the faster, darting ones on cigarette boats. I wonder how many of them are running something? Bringing something in or taking something out?“We'll get him, Rico.”

Trudy was practically hopping from one foot to the other when Crockett and Tubbs checked in the next day. “Carmello called this morning,” she said with a smile. “Manny's working the track tomorrow afternoon. He always works Fridays because it's payday.”

“And let me guess...she always meets him right after work when he cashes that check.” Tubbs snapped his fingers and grinned. “True love right there.”

“Consider who he learned from.” Crockett sank back in his chair, a cup of Stan's coffee close at hand. “You get a chance to hit up Reno?”

Tubbs nodded. “Oh, yeah. He was all apologies about Tio, and you can bet I ripped him a new one over the whole thing. But it sounds like he got the stash back somehow. Twenty kilos of heroin. He claims it's top Golden Triangle product but I doubt it.”

Stan nodded, munching on a donut as he flipped through the call logs. “Yeah. He's too small time, and trying to move that kind of product would attract Maynard's attention faster than flying the Commie flag from the White House. He did make five calls to the sewer Tio calls home before he talked to you, though. Two after that to one of his crew bosses. He was done by midnight.”

“Yeah. He did say he wants to take care of this deal before our next big one, though. Makes me think his boss doesn't know what he's up to.”

Castillo came out of his office, his face grimmer than usual. “We have new intel on Pedrosa. He was the street man before he moved up. The Feds haven't picked up on him yet, but Metro-Dade has a thick file. Pedrosa's a nasty customer. They have him linked to at least ten narcotics-related homicides and a number of other active investigations. Up until about six months ago he was doing what Reno is doing now. And they never linked him to any heroin. Pedrosa's hits were always about cocaine. None of the charges ever stuck.”

“Any way to get to him?”

“No.” Castillo sat down before looking at Tubbs. “He seems well-insulated. Metro-Dade doesn't have much on him that's newer than four months out, but they think he has a small cadre of shooters around him and some administrative support. Accountants, drivers, lawyer, that kind of thing. If he's expanding his street network they haven't picked it up yet.”

“I'll shift our collection efforts.” Stan started sketching on his note pad. “Do they have any addresses for him?”

“Yes. I'll get Federal warrants for you. As soon as those are in place...”

“I know, lieutenant. Make it happen. I'll make it happen. I may have to pull some of the higher-end stuff off Reno, though.”

“No problem.” Crockett looked for Castillo's short nod before continuing. “We've got Reno where we want him. As soon as we get that heroin he's history. It's more important to know if there are other Renos out there.”

Stan nodded and was about to get up when the multi-line phone on the table jangled for his attention. Looking at the flashing light, he smiled. “Well, well. Chez Bug Van. Looks like Reno wants to talk to Rico.”

“I got it.” Tubbs reached out and selected the line before picking up the phone. “Cooper....Yeah, Reno...My partners are interested, but they need a quality check first...That's how it is. Take it or leave it...We don't buy sight unseen, especially when you've got ODs popping up like dandelions down here...I read the papers, chump. That's how I know. We don't need that kind of problem up there...You want to move it, this is how it goes. You bring the whole shipment, I pick out two keys from the whole thing. We test it, and if it's clean we take the whole shipment. If it's not clean we're having a whole different conversation.”

When Tubbs finally hung up, Crockett chuckled. “He buy that?”

“He didn't want to, but what choice does he have? He tries to move that product here, Pedrosa finds out. Now that he's taken Tio out of the game he's screwed himself.”

“When does the deal go down?”

“Tonight. I'm calling him back to get a place and dollar amount.”

“I'll have the money ready.”

“Solid. Stan, let me know if any of the intel changes.”

“I expect you'll want Burnett on hand.”

“Yeah. Reno seems to appreciate your charming personality.” Tubbs chuckled.

Castillo nodded. “Trudy, I'd like you to take a look at what we got from Metro-Dade. Compare it to what we have on Reno's network and find some gaps.”

“You got it, lieutenant.” She smiled, getting up from the table. “I'll try working up a couple of scenarios to show us what the network might look like if we shut Reno down, too. I might need Stan's help with some of that, though.”

“Make it happen. We need to be two steps ahead on this one.”

“I second that. If Moncado's fronting for Maynard he's not going to be a fool. Maynard doesn't suffer fools gladly or for very damned long.” Crockett pushed back from the table. “Come on, Rico. Let's go sniff around before you have to call Reno and set things up. We'll check in once we have the details, lieutenant.”

It was still cool in the underground garage, but the close air hinted at the heat to come. Tubbs adjusted his tie and looked over at Crockett with a grin. “Gray instead of black today. Is that the kinder, gentler Burnett look?”

“Naw, it's the 'I don't want to bathe in my own sweat' look.” Sonny chuckled and unlocked the Ferrari. “I don't know how you can stand those monkey suits when it's like this.”

“I draw inspiration from the lieutenant. He never sweats, and he wears those mortician rigs every day.”

“Yeah. But he's not human.” Sonny smiled as he turned the key and the Ferrari roared to life. “No, I take that back. When he looks at Trudy you can damned well see he's human.”

“So what's the plan?”

“See and be seen, Rico. You can call Reno from the car. Just call Stan first and he'll make sure the hotel number comes up if Reno's checking. And maybe we should stop by your hotel just in case the little punk left you chocolates or flowers.”

“Yeah. Maybe I should check out, too. Give Reno fits if the little chump's watching that.”

Crockett nodded, easing the car into mid-morning Miami traffic. “Yeah. Also makes it look like you're here for the long haul and not just a long weekend. Could be useful when we switch to Moncado or this Pedrosa.”

“Pedrosa looks like the muscle. The cat who keeps the mice in line for the bigger cat. Dangerous when let off his leash.”

“Yep. And that's why we need to take him down before going near Moncado.” Sonny shuddered, his mind flashing back to El Gato and his end in the cat cage. Another Burnett memory he tried to keep buried with mixed success. They were like watching a jerky old movie that had been cut and spliced randomly back together. Skips, jumps, and then one vivid scene followed by more skips and jumps. “Where is Cooper supposed to be staying this time?”

“The Plaza. Down by the water. One of those rooms with a good view of the bikinis on the beach.”

“I should have known. But the trick isn't seeing the bikinis, Tubbs. It's getting them off.”

“You got that right, white bread. Now we'd best get to the hotel before I start doing my Noogie impersonation.”

One of the new hotels springing up on the bones of older deco spots, the Plaza boasted valet parking and overpriced umbrella drinks to tempt tourists though the doors. Crockett grimaced as he handed the keys over to an eager kid in a red tux that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since its last senior prom appearance. “Keep it close, short stuff. We won't be here long.”

The lobby glittered with polished steel and cut glass, making up in shine what it lacked in character. Tubbs went into New York City mode, plowing through the tourists by the elevators like a man on a mission. Crockett followed in his wake, scanning the crowd behind his sunglasses looking for anything out of the ordinary. Something about hotels always set him on edge, especially crowded new ones.

Tubbs' room was on the eighth floor, and it didn't take long for Rico to fill his two leather suitcases and call the front desk. “This is Mr. Cooper in 824. I'm checking out....Yeah run the card I gave you. I'll leave the keys in the room. You can send the bill to my New York address.”

“New York address?”

“Yeah. It gets sent right back to the cover operation here.” Tubbs grinned, closing the locks on his bigger case with a firm click. “One of Castillo's touches. Slick as hell.”

“That man doesn't miss a trick.” Crockett looked around the suite, checking both the bedroom and sitting area. He'd already disconnected Stan's phone relay device and stuffed it in the smaller of Tubbs' bags. “You got everything?”

“Yeah. Let's skip the desk and get the hell out.”

They were walking to the elevators when Crockett spotted two men in baggy suit coats coming down the hall toward them. “We got company,” he muttered, reaching under his own coat and unsnapping the strap holding his 4506 in its shoulder rig.

Tubbs nodded, pausing to check his tie line in the reflection thrown by a fire extinguisher box. “Two behind. One looks like Tio.”

“It's a hit.” As Crockett watched, one of the men in front started reaching under the baggy jacket, going for something stuffed in his waistband. Light from the overhead fluorescents glittered off metal, and Sonny went into pure reflex mode.

The Plaza's room doors were set back almost a foot from the corridor walls, making the doorways usable cover. Before he realized it the big Smith & Wesson filled his hand, left hand closing over the right in a perfect controlled shooing stance. Even now, years later, he could still hear the drill instructor's barked command 'front sight, girls! Front sight!' and he fired two shots as soon as the black blade came to rest on the first gunman's chest. Red blood sprayed through the air and the shattered body spun away even as he pivoted and fired two more times, dropping the second gunman. The dead man's finger tightened on the trigger of his Beretta, and the bullet blasted a hole in the floor three feet in front of the body. Behind him he could just hear Tubbs' .38 barking through the ringing in his ears, and he felt his shoulder thud off the room door as he used the setback as cover.

Looking back, Sonny saw one body crumpled in the hall, staining the brownish carpet black with blood. Tubbs hunkered in a doorway just down the hall, his stubby revolver trained just past the body. “Tio's down there!” he shouted, gesturing toward a doorway.

Sonny nodded, steadying his 4506. They had seconds left before someone responded, and he didn't want to blow their cover. He saw a flash of ratty, greasy hair as Tio broke cover, and the .45 boomed twice more. Tio's scream died as quickly as it was born, and his body crashed to the floor. A cheap 9mm fell from his dead hand and slid a few more inches before stopping. Over the echoes of the shots Crockett could hear what sounded like a fire alarm and screams. The acrid, familiar smell of burned gunpowder filled his nose. “Check the bodies?”

“No time, partner. Unless we want to spend time with Metro-Dade.” Tubbs grabbed his suitcases. “I'd say we take the stairs.”

“Were you followed?” Castillo waited until Tubbs and Crockett finished outlining the shooting before asking the question.

“No. I don't think so.” Tubbs shook his head. “Reno knew I was staying there. Or at least he'd figure that out from the number I gave him. Tio might have overhead something.”

“I can't see Reno sending him to hit us.” Crockett sat in one of the chairs on the far side of the long table, rubbing his eyes with this thumb and index finger. “Not with future shipments on the line. Plus it was the same goofballs Tio had with him at that meeting.”

“I'll have our liaison smooth things over with Metro-Dade. You'll need to do full reports, and they might send someone down to speak with you both if there are any questions. But this doesn't interfere with our operation.”

“Solid.” Tubbs snapped his fingers. “Now I'm gonna call Reno and light his ass on fire.”

Stan looked up from his seat at the table. “Use line six on the big phone. It's configured to look like a pay phone if Reno's checking at all.”

While Tubbs shouted down the phone line, pummeling Reno with New York insults and threatening to close down the deal altogether, Sonny looked over at Castillo. “Is this shooting really going to close this easily? No Internal Affairs? No modified duty?”

“No. The Task Force has different rules. If they decide you acted inappropriately or used poor judgement, they'll pull you. But there were no bystanders. No civilians were hurt.”

“No. We just went down a couple of floors and took the elevator to the lobby. Picked up the Ferrari and drove away like tourists checking out.”

“Switek has the second office set up as an armory. You can clean your weapons there. I expect a draft of your report before your meeting with Reno tonight.”

“You'll have it.” Sonny grinned, nodding toward Tubbs who was still shouting into the phone. “Unless my partner over there reaches through the phone and rips his head off first.”

Tubbs sent one more stream of curses blasting over the phone lines before he slammed the receiver down and grinned. “Reno's gonna need a new pair of boxers after that. He says he didn't know anything about Tio's hit, which I believe. Then he tried to spin some tale about the heroin being too hot to move now. That's when I told him if he couldn't make this work tonight I was taking all my toys and going home. He's giving us the whole stash for ten grand cash.”

“Their network must be more overloaded than we thought if he'll take that kind of loss to keep you in the game.” Castillo rubbed his eyes. “Switek, monitor Reno's communications closely. I want to know who he's reaching out to and what's happening. Tubbs, the buy money will be ready in an hour. I want your draft report before the meeting. And get the location as soon as you can. I want that sniper team in position to overwatch.”

“You heard the man, Tubbs. Let's get the guns cleaned and get to writing. I've got a fresh box of crayons in case you broke yours.”

“At least I don't eat mine.” Tubbs laughed and slapped Crockett on the shoulder.

Cleaning his pistol had always been one of Sonny's ways of dealing with the stress of a shooting. The simple, mechanical act of breaking down, scrubbing, oiling, and reassembling a pistol always steadied his nerves and focused his thoughts. Shrugging off the gray blazer, he sat down at the makeshift workbench Stan had assembled and got to work.

Tubbs had less to do with his revolver, but he still used the time to focus. For a time only the click and scrape of metal on metal filled the air, competing with the low hiss of the central air system. The sharp tang of solvent and gun oil filled their noses, overcoming any lingering traces of gunpower and blood. Finally Tubbs chuckled. “I should have left a tip for the cleaning crew. They must hate us by now.”

“Yeah, but Local 798 or whoever will love us. I bet they re-carpet the whole floor.”

“Once Metro-Dade's crime boys get done tromping around I bet you're right.”

Sonny nodded as he slipped the recoil spring back onto the guide rod and locked it under the Smith & Wesson's barrel. “They won't have a choice. Those clowns will cut up half the carpet, ruin the rest with some damn concoction or another, and then say they can't even type the blood.” Slotting the barrel and rod assembly back into the slide, he slid the whole thing back onto the frame and pulled the slide almost all the way back, pushing the slide release pin through before letting it slam back into place. “At least we don't have to lie on the beach waiting for Internal Affairs to discover we're not really Columbian drug lords.”

“Amen to that, partner.” Tubbs snapped the cylinder closed on his Chief's Special. “It was a good shoot, though.”

“Yeah. We didn't have much of a choice. Tio and his boys were there for one reason only – to put us in the ground. I wonder if they planned to catch us in the hall or the room?”

“I don't know. They might not have thought that far ahead.”

“Yeah.” Sonny sighed as he locked a full magazine into the butt of his pistol and worked the slide a final time to feed a round into the chamber. Then he switched on the safety and stuffed the big gun back into his shoulder holster and shrugged on his blazer. “We'd better get to writing.”

“We'll need the boat.” Tubbs shook his head as he hung up the phone. “Reno wants to do the deal on the water. Out by one of the Key islands. Some cabin cruiser he's got.”

Castillo shook his head. “I can't cover you out there.”

Trudy, out of one of the side offices, raised her hand. “I can tag along, lieutenant. What's a major player from New York doing on the water without female company in the first place?”

“How did he sound?”

“Anxious, Sonny. He wants this deal bad.”

Stan flipped through his notes. “Rico's right, lieutenant. I've got a series of calls to a new number, one I'm guessing is Pedrosa's. There was a lot of chatter about a new, high-volume contract. Clearing the warehouses for the next shipment. Reno's making promises he can only keep if Rico's still in the game. If he's not, Reno's screwed and he knows it.”

Sonny could almost hear the whirring of Castillo's computer-like mind. He never took long with decisions like this. “Do it. Joplin, draw three assault rifles from the armory. You might need some firepower. There will be no back-up, so plan accordingly. Switek and I might be able to get close, but if it's on the water that won't be easy.”

“No. Not without drawing too much attention.” Sonny scratched his chin, feeling the stubble flex under his fingers. “I still say the meet's worth the risk. We get the heroin and maybe a way to knock Reno off his perch.”

Stan cleared his throat. “What about a fake bust? The Coast Guard works that area all the time with their smaller boats. What if one of them just 'happens' to wander by?”

Damn. Stan might be on to something. Sonny nodded. “They'd have to hit before the exchange was made. That would roll up the heroin, take Reno out of play, and give Pedrosa an incentive to reach out to us directly. Does he know who Cooper is at least?”

“Yep. I've got Reno on tape confirming Cooper's name and your pager number to Pedrosa. It was before we knew Pedrosa's name, but he's got your information for sure.”

“I'll be using the cigarette boat, lieutenant. I can outrun the coasties without it looking like they let me get away. If Reno's using a cabin cruiser there's no way he's getting out of it.”

“What time's the meeting?”

“Midnight.” Tubbs scribbled on one of the notepads scattered on the conference table. “Here's the coordinates Reno gave me.”

Trudy shifted in her chair, her short blue dress pulling tight across her body. “We can see if the Coast Guard can help, but plan to go ahead with the deal in case they can't.”

“I'll make a call.” Castillo got up. “We've got ten hours before the meeting. The buy money will be here in twenty minutes. Crockett, Tubbs, get those report drafts done.”

Stan chuckled. “I remember when we'd still be waiting on the forms for the buy money and would have to scrub any meeting.”

Trudy nodded. “Not to mention warrants for the wires. Now we get those in hours instead of days. And the arms room! I think we have more in there than Metro-Dade's SWAT team does.”

Reaching into his blazer pocket, Sonny pulled out a pack of Lucky Strikes and his battered lighter. “Yeah, but what's the cost? Any time you deal with the Feds there's a cost. Granted Marty knows that better than any of us do, but you always gotta wonder when the bill's coming due with those jokers.”

“Deniability.” Tubbs looked up from the report form. “They can always hold up their hands and claim we're just a bunch of rogue local cops who didn't know when to quit.”

Drawing the smoke into his lungs, Sonny stared at the glowing tip of the filterless cigarette. “Yeah, I know, Rico. Just no one forget we're the only ones who have our backs this time out. Speaking of which, I'd like to meet this sniper team sometime. Check 'em out and see which team they're playing for when the shit hits the fan.”

Trudy smiled. “I met them when they first checked in. Quiet guys. Very serious. I'll let them know you'd like a meet.”

“Thanks, Trudy.” Grimacing, Sonny looked down at his own form. “Now I'd better finish this or I won't get to go out and play tonight.”

The buy money arrived on schedule, delivered by a gray man in a gray suit who vanished back into the elevator with no trace of his visit. Seconds later Castillo came out of his office. “The Coast Guard will try to have one of their counter-narcotics boats on station but can't guarantee anything.”

“Maybe we should just call them off, then. If they can't make the hit on time there's no point.”

Stan's frown disappeared from his face. “I think I can make this work. We've got a handful of transponders that send on military-only frequencies. We'll take one on the boat, and turn it off just before we close up to make the deal. That way they can track us in, and will know to turn on the party favors. If they're not close enough, we just go ahead and make the deal.”

“Hell of an idea, Stan. So long as the swabbies don't wait too long.”

“I'll call them back and see what they can do.” Castillo collected the draft reports and allowed his two detectives a thin smile. “Now get those rifles ready to go.”

• Like 2