In which year was Castillo born?

Glades

Unfortunately I did not find anything about this topic via the search function. The links to the biographies of the main characters do not work for me.
To my knowledge Crockett was born in 1949, just like DJ. I don't know about Tubbs, but I suspect something similar. EJO was born in 1947, but that seems to me to young for Castillo...

The series never really frames it for Castillo, but I’d say EJO’s birthdate is pretty close. Maybe add ten years to account for his Civil Rights activities and the like. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Are we talking about his real age or his character's age?  EJO was born on Feb 24th, 1947

In his 1st appearance when he walked into OCB Gina and Trudy looked at him and Gina said "42"   Was that meant to be his age?  Going by his real birthday he would've only been 37

I´d like to know the age of the character Castillo, not of EJO. Only almost 3 years older than Crockett seams to young for me.

Finally I discovered a short biography of Castillo in the forum:

"Castillo must have been working for the Police and Narcotics since the very early 70’s because in 1972 he is already a police officer in Saigon. Together with South Vietnamese police officer Nguyn Van Trahn he investigates a brutal prostitute serial killing [1]. In 1976 he moves into the borderland between Thailand and Burma for three years by order of the D.E.A. (Drug Enforcement Agency). "

Is it possible to guess on the basis of this information how old Castillo must be at the latest?

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Robbie C.:

The series never really frames it for Castillo, but I’d say EJO’s birthdate is pretty close. Maybe add ten years to account for his Civil Rights activities and the like.  

Ten years older would be a big difference!  Then Castillo would be 47 in 1984, right?

For me Castillo looks much older than Crockett. Maybe in the early to mid 40s at the beginning of the series?
I wonder if that's really a difference in age or if it's at least partly due to the different characters...

12 minutes ago, Glades said:

Ten years older would be a big difference!  Then Castillo would be 47 in 1984, right?

For me Castillo looks much older than Crockett. Maybe in the early to mid 40s at the beginning of the series?
I wonder if that's really a difference in age or if it's at least partly due to the different characters...

I think it’s a bit of both. I went with about ten years to accommodate what Castillo’s supposed to have accomplished prior to joining Vice. And quite a few of the web sources don’t take that stuff into account. 

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

Great point, Robbie C. 

Just from seeing him and knowing his history (but not pinpointing the years as you did) I would have put him about 6-8 years older than Crockett.  10 years older seems like more than I'd have thought, but certainly not unreasonable for Castillo to actually be 44 when Crockett is 34.  Still with a full head of black hair, so (although of course he could color it, LOL) I'd definitely expect him to be under 50.

I actually thought DJ looked older than his real age by the time he started playing Sonny Crockett.  Not that that's super-relevant...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Great point, Robbie C. 

Just from seeing him and knowing his history (but not pinpointing the years as you did) I would have put him about 6-8 years older than Crockett.  10 years older seems like more than I'd have thought, but certainly not unreasonable for Castillo to actually be 44 when Crockett is 34.  Still with a full head of black hair, so (although of course he could color it, LOL) I'd definitely expect him to be under 50.

I actually thought DJ looked older than his real age by the time he started playing Sonny Crockett.  Not that that's super-relevant...

I took the civil rights stuff as a basic starting point. He looks early to mid-20s in the picture we see. Then you tack on his time in Vietnam and other parts of Southeast Asia...he'd need to be older than Crockett to be working in those places with the authority we see and hear about him wielding. Finally, lieutenant isn't a basic rank for a police officer. They tend to be experience, with years under their belts. That led me to a Castillo who was in his mid-40s (maybe his later 40s) when the show started.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Are we talking about his real age or his character's age?  EJO was born on Feb 24th, 1947

In his 1st appearance when he walked into OCB Gina and Trudy looked at him and Gina said "42"   Was that meant to be his age?  Going by his real birthday he would've only been 37

37 seems right but his demeanor was so severe, he looked a lot older than Crockett who was supposed to be 34. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1