So I've Been Talking to Jan Hammer...

Dadrian

...through his management :) 

I asked them about doing extended mixes of the unreleased cues (using the original tapes) to be available exclusively through their current mediums (Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, etc.).

I was honored that they even considered it, but after looking into it (literally), Jan said the backup tapes he made (while doing the show) were no longer suitable for playback. 

That's very sad news, but:

1. It does put this thought to rest: “those tapes have just been sitting there capable of being digitized and released”—at least now I know that's not true anyway, and the closure is actually good for me. That has bothered me for years! haha

2. It almost seals the idea that there won't be anymore MV score releases with the original sounds (just reworks with new sounds like we heard on Seasons pt. 1)

3. My covers are my only hope :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 9

i don't understand. it's probabbly my english. but the tapes aren't in good shape. but they sat there, but maybe they will be released, but it's impossible. but the ending is good for you. sorry Dadrian, but i'm just heavily confused lol. (again probably because i'm not anglo-saxon native) :p

On 6/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, Dadrian said:

...through his management :) 

I asked them about doing extended mixes of the unreleased cues (using the original tapes) to be available exclusively through their current mediums (Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, etc.).

I was honored that they even considered it, but after looking into it (literally), Jan said the backup tapes he made (while doing the show) were no longer suitable for playback. 

That's very sad news, but:

1. It does put the thought to rest that those tapes have just sitting been there good-to-go, but they won't be released--at least now I know that's impossible anyway, and the closure is actually good for me. That has bothered me for years! haha

2. It almost seals the idea that there won't be anymore MV score releases with the original sounds (just reworks with new sounds like we heard on Seasons pt. 1)

3. My covers are my only hope :) 

Thank God for your covers, Dadrian! They are excellent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

i don't understand. it's probabbly my english. but the tapes aren't in good shape. but they sat there, but maybe they will be released, but it's impossible. but the ending is good for you. sorry Dadrian, but i'm just heavily confused lol. (again probably because i'm not anglo-saxon native) :p

All is correct, except “maybe they will be released”. They will not. The only “good” for me is I know all this info for sure, as of today, directly from the man himself. 

I edited the post to try and clear that up. It was very confusing. Maybe it still is. :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Haha 1

@Dadrian i still hope that someday La-La Land Records will release the whole Jan's MV score from original tapes belonged to Universal.

They did a great job releasing Faltermeyer's scores from Beverly Hills Cop I & II in 2016.

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

@Dadrian i still hope that someday La-La Land Records will release the whole Jan's MV score from original tapes belonged to Universal.

They did a great job released Faltermeyer's scores from Beverly Hills Cop I & II in 2016.

Yes that would be fantastic. 

Do you know for a fact if they still have them, and in usable condition?

37 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yes that would be fantastic. 

Do you know for a fact if they still have them, and in usable condition? 

I've got no idea what condition the tapes are in but we should be positive. :)

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Just curious here but has Jan actually heard any of your covers?  Is he even aware of them?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Just curious here but has Jan actually heard any of your covers?  Is he even aware of them?  

Yes and yes haha :hot:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

Hope Jan doesn't mind that i upload on my YouTube channel his MV cues ripped from Blu-Ray. ;)

He and his management have always seemed appreciative to me for the enthusiasm. The only thing they’ve cautioned me with is the fact that Universal (not Jan) has rights to all that unreleased music, and they could have it taken down. Incidentally, my new cover got suggested by NBC Classics, so I guess that’s a sign of their benevolence (so far). You know more about that stuff than me. 

4 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Best thread title in years ...

I thought it might get a few looks :p

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 5:15 AM, goozer said:

i was about to post this too. this is crazy that they stored all these gems into a non protected warehouse. hope JH stuff is safe, but i have a bad premonition :wuerg:

• Sad 2

On 6/24/2019 at 10:14 AM, Ferrariman said:

...and that was my next concern. Copyright lawsuits.

He’s likely safe so long as it’s all clearly attributed and no money’s involved. However, if the rumors of the atrocity called a reboot are true all bets are off. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2019 at 10:15 PM, goozer said:
On 6/25/2019 at 7:50 AM, jpaul1 said:

i was about to post this too. this is crazy that they stored all these gems into a non protected warehouse. hope JH stuff is safe, but i have a bad premonition :wuerg:

Abandon hope all ye who enter...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-list-umg.html

Jan's on the list of artists who's material was lost. This, along with the news from Dadrian about Jan's original source tapes, seems to effectively seal the deal on any future releases/reissues of his MV score.

IMHO, the fire was music world's equivalent of the destruction of the Alexandria Library.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

there are no words. on a more earth sided, i think lawsuits inbound are something that could take the company down. because yeah the comparison with Alexandria is not extrapolated. the lost is hardy quantifiable

Edited by jpaul1

One last hope:

Jan still has the computers with all the MIDI and patch data. They would just have to be hooked back up to the original synths a re-recorded. His Memorymoogs don’t work (it happens :) ), but I’m not sure about his Jupiter 8. The DX7 is easily accessible, and his Fairlight still works. 

The problem there is that he would most likely not use any of those synths. He would use his current instruments, and that would be terrible, but he probably won’t do anything at all with those old computers/data. I sure wish I could get my hands on them. I have all the synths, and it would save me a lot of work/time. 

• Like 5

• Administrators

Not trying to squash anyone's hopes, because I know we've all wished for more, but some years ago I e-mailed Jan's manager, Elliot Sears, about the possibility of releasing more Vice music.  He explained that Jan's "(In)Complete Collection"  was far from a financial success. Only because it targeted such a small group of fans. He nicely told me that there won't be anymore.   I guess this was the final nail in the coffin. ;(

Looks like you're the man D!   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I got that from Elliot, too, but Jan might get a wild hair and do maybe one for the fans someday. I’ll keep dreaming... :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Would be nice. I'm sorry to say that "Seasons" did not impress me. 

Agreed, but so many of those songs would sound WAY better with vintage synths and drum machines. The cheap sounds take all the life out of the music. Old gear is very hard to keep working though, and I’m sure he’s had all the headache he ever wanted with that. Also, he often states he’s not “nostalgic”, so he’s always trying to use new sounds. :( 

Edited by Dadrian

• 2 weeks later...

Well look on the bright side, that style of synth based music has never been so alive in the past 30 plus years its been since the show came out, and with how bad the modern music industry has gotten and how obsolete they've become, it means anyone with talent has a real chance for fame and success on their own

hell even Thomas Bangler apparently made his own music label much to my surprise, and he was one of the artists that rockstar took music from to put on midnight club 2 back in the day.

"Edit"

Sorry got his name wrong, its Thomas Bangalter, not Bangler I just always shortened it to that as its just the way my mind works lol

Edited by Kavinsky
Sorry cant spell for crap it seems lol
  • Like 1