The More Things Change...(Part XII)

Robbie C.

It was mid-morning before Sonny Crockett climbed on deck with a cup of coffee in hand and looked around the marina. Vellamo's spot was still empty, and there wasn't much else worth seeing in the bright summer sun. He stretched, scratched an itchy spot in his stubble, and contemplated taking the Scarab for a quick spin. It had been too long since he'd taken her out, and there was a chance it might be needed in their current case. He was about to change when the phone rang.

“Yeah?”

“Hey, man, it's me.” Tubbs' voice always sounded stretched in the cordless receiver. “Look, how long do we want to let Moncado stew?”

“Give him a day, Rico. You can sell it as you went to bat for him with your New York people. Make him think he owes you.” Sonny smiled. “Anyhow, I was thinking of taking the Scarab out. You up for some powerboat action?”

“Your new lady must still be out of town, then. Sure. I'll be there in ten. Less if the expressway isn't wall to wall.”

Sonny chuckled as he ended the call, but Tubbs had also reminded him of something. He turned the handset back on and punched in a number. “Stan? It's Sonny. Look, can you run a check on a boat for me? She's called Vellamo” - he spelled out the Finnish name - “and I think she's got a Florida hull number.”

“Size and make?” Stan sounded particularly alert this morning.

“She's a Pearson 36. I don't need the full history. I just want to know if she's on anyone's watch list. Coast Guard. Customs. The usual suspects.”

“You got it. This number good?”

“For another half hour maybe. Rico and I are going to take the Scarab out. I'll have the machine on, though. Leave a message unless it's something really nasty.”

He heard Stan laugh. “Any reason it might be?”

“I don't know, Stan. I had Lester run the name of the person who claims to be the boat's owner. Check and see if she's the registered owner. Something's just...off about the whole thing.”

“You got it.”

Killing the call, Sonny collapsed the antenna and stuck the handset in its charger. Ever since the damned thing had died during a long-distance call from Caitlin when she was on the road he'd been almost fanatic about keeping it charged. Not that it mattered now, though. The only calls he got were work or some loser or another trying to score after someone gave out the number as belonging to a low-level pot smuggler. Luckily the latter were getting less and less frequent.

He was still nursing the same cup of coffee when Tubbs sauntered down the dock, resplendent in pin-stripes by Ralph Lauren and shoes again by Gucci. Sonny couldn't help but smile. It was hot as hell and his partner still insisted on wearing suits with ties and coats. The only man he'd met who was as stubborn about his wardrobe was Martin Castillo. When he got close enough, Rico pointed to the open spot. “Is that where she was?”

“Yeah. She's done that before, though. Been gone two, three days and then reappears.” Sonny mimed an explosion with his hands. “Poof! It's magic.”

“Yeah, keep tellin' yourself that.” Tubbs climbed on board. “Stan got nothing in her background?”

“She's just some rich kid with some minor stuff in her background. Got him checkin' the boat, too. Just in case.”

“You know what they say about crazy sex, partner...” Rico's sharp laugh made Elvis twitch.

“Yeah. The only problem is it likes to follow you home and try to cut your throat.” Sonny laughed in spite of himself. Rico had a way of making even the darkest thoughts seem funny when he got done twisting them. “So are you ready to go for a spin or what?”

“Why not? Just try to keep the spray off my suit.”

Sonny nodded. “Let me check on something first.” Grabbing the phone, he punched in a number. “Stan? Yeah, sorry to bother you again. You two get that booth at Robbie's club wired?”

“Finished up yesterday,” Stan answered. “It's the one in the far left corner as you go in. Robbie's got it marked with a blue centerpiece. All the others are red or yellow. He's a good guy to work with, Sonny.”

“Yeah, he is. Thanks, Stan.” Sonny clicked off and turned to Rico. “Just wanted to make sure things were good to go when you start leaning on Moncado.”

“Solid. Now let's get this party started.”

The Scarab didn't ride in the water as much as it cut over it, especially at high speed. Once they were clear of normal marina traffic, Sonny jammed the throttles wide and let the two 440s roar. Wind ripped through their hair as the boat shot forward, almost skipping from wave to wave from the power of the engines. Tubbs, hanging on to the console, let out a shout of pure joy and leaned into the wind. Sonny grinned, one hand on the throttles and the other on the wheel, keeping the boat in a straight line. One jerk of the wheel would be enough to spend them pinwheeling through the water, the boat disintegrating in a spray of fiberglass and engine parts.

Soon, though, he throttled back and let the boat make its own way through the rolling waves. Tubbs sat back in his seat with a sigh. “Man, that's one hell of a way to clear your head.”

“Ain't it?” Sonny chuckled, reaching for a cigarette. “The way I looked it, this job should have some perks somewhere.”

“Damn straight.” Tubbs nodded. “You know, I thought Jaimie might have tipped us off to the hit.”

“Naw, man. You're a customer to him. So he knows your name? Pedrosa was the one paying the bills. He's always going to be loyal to the money.” Sonny shook his head, drawing on the small Lucky Strike. “He might have shed a tear or two at your funeral, but he's gonna keep cashing those checks.”

“I know.” They were quiet for a time, the thumping of the engines and the splash of water as the boat cut through the water the only sounds. “You know, this is one of the few times we've been out in this beast when we weren't on our way to shoot at or get shot at by someone.”

“I think you're right, Tubbs.” Sonny nodded, letting smoke trickle out the corners of his mouth. “Damn, when I think about it I know you're right. I guess we need to get out more.”

“It's the Job man. With a capital J. Give it time and it soaks up your whole life.”

“Tell me about it.” Sonny shook his head, thinking back through his mistakes with Caroline and Billy, Caitlin dying in his arms, and the shadows still haunting his nights when Burnett came calling. “Maybe Gina was right to get out.”

“We tried, partner.” Tubbs was looking out over the water now, but Sonny was sure that wasn't what he was seeing. “That year wasn't just an extended vacation. We tried to get out, but we can't. It's who we are now. Maybe that's why we're so damned good at it.”

“What about Castillo? He might have found a way out.”

“Castillo ain't human.” Tubbs chuckled. “He's like some kind of ancient warrior god come to life and walking the land. You see the way those deputies look at him? They know what he is.”

“Yeah.” Sonny tossed the remains of his cigarette over the side, imagining he heard it hiss when it hit the water. “When you think about everything that man's seen and done...hell, if anyone deserves Trudy it's him.”

“I'll tell you one thing, though. I wouldn't want to be the fool who hurt Trudy.”

“No.” Sonny looked out across the waves, seeing that island again and not regretting a single choice he'd made that day. “No,” he repeated. “What I did with Hackman would seem like a school field trip compared to what he'd unleash.”

“Does Marty know?”

“Yeah. And that's the scary thing, Rico. I think he's known since the beginning. He never said in word. In fact, when he met with me that first day with the Task Force he said it told him I'd do whatever it took to get the job done.” Sonny shook his head again. “That's a very scary man inside that button-down suit.”

“I'm just glad he's on our side.” Tubbs sighed and looked at his watch. “I don't know about you, but all this water's making me hungry. Want to head back and get some lunch? Since Stan's got the booth wired I might go ahead and poke Moncado today, too.”

“You got it.” Sonny cranked the wheel around and opened the twin throttles again, sending the boat leaping over the waves to Rico's shouted delight.

They ate a slow lunch at one of the cafes springing up like decorative weeds along the renovated waterfront and then took the Caddy to Task Force headquarters. Rico took his time meandering through the Miami traffic, so Sonny just sat back in the passenger seat and let the wind from the open top finish the hair style the boat had started. It was mid-afternoon when they stepped off the elevator onto the tenth floor.

To their surprise, a pretty redhead was sitting at the desk in the outer office. She looked up from some mysterious paperwork and smiled, showing deep dimples and white teeth below bright blue eyes. “Good afternoon, gentlemen. Everyone's in a meeting, so if you have business you'll need to come back.”

Sonny recovered first and flashed his badge. “It's kind of important, darlin'.”

Her smile never changed. “You must be Crockett. Good to meet you and Detective Tubbs. I'm Mindy. Go on in. The lieutenant's out, but I think Detective Switek and Lester are back there. Detective Joplin is at the Federal Building until four.” Bringing her hand up from under the desk, she laid a dark Walter auto-loader in front of her. “The lieutenant decided you needed some security.”

Tubbs grinned. “Thank you, Mindy. Come on, partner. Pick up your jaw and let's go see what Stan has for us.”

Sonny kept his cool until they were in the conference room. “Who the hell was that? And when did Metro-Dade start hiring beauty queens?”

Stan's laugh filled the room. “They didn't. She's from the Marshal's Service. Randy brought her over earlier today. She's one of their newer deputies, but Randy said she's been in at least four warrant-related shootouts down here already and can hold her own.”

“If Randy says she's cool, she's cool.” Tubbs laughed along with Stan.

Sonny nodded, remembering another redhead from his past. Except that one had been trying to kill him. “Yeah. I get it. I'll play nice. Just surprised me is all.” He sat down at the long table. “You hear anything on that boat?”

“I was about to call, but yes.” Stan looked at his note pad. “That name and boat number you gave me isn't on any watchlists I could find, but I also ran a check based on the make. Pearson didn't build many of the 36s, so it didn't take long. There is a Pearson 36 on a Customs watchlist out of Fort Meyers. Not narcotics, though. Smuggling. Rum, cigars, that kind of thing.”

“What's that boat called?”

Salacia. I'm trying to run that one down.”

Tubbs nodded. “Try Rome. The goddess of salt water.” He turned to Sonny. “Coincidence?”

“I don't know, Rico. At least it's not a narcotics watchlist.” He smiled. “Thanks for checking, Stan. And for getting with Robbie so fast. I think Rico's going to put the screws to Moncado, so we'll need that booth sooner rather than later.”

“I showed him how to start it recording, so as soon as he sees you he'll set things moving.” Stan turned, then looked back. “He's a good guy, Sonny. I actually took Gina there last night and he made sure we had a great time.”

“Yeah. He's a good friend. I'll swing by there tonight and thank him again.” Sonny looked over at Rico. “You gonna call him or just sit there looking pretty?”

“I might just do both.” Returning the grin, Tubbs reached for the phone and hit the correct buttons. “Gettin' the hang of this thing, Stan. Finally.”

“Now maybe he can teach me. Hell, I don't know what to do if there's not a can with a string in it.” Sonny sat back, dealing with memories of Angel conjured by Mindy at the front desk while Tubbs did his thing.

It was a short call. “This is Cooper. My people are willing to put this behind us, but we need to meet face-to-face. I get Pedrosa acted without your blessing, but they'd feel better if we sorted this out in person.” Tubbs nodded. “I agree public would be better. I'm not a Miami regular, so I don't know many places. I do know Carlos mentioned a club called The Sanctuary a few times. You know it? Good. I've never been. Solid. I'll meet you there tomorrow night. Eight o'clock? I'll be there. Yes, I can contact Burnett and bring him, too.” Tubbs smiled. “He's still a bit agitated about Carlos taking shots at us, and from what I hear it's not a good idea to leave Burnett agitated.”

Sonny laughed as soon as Rico hung up. “Laying it on a bit thick, aren't you, Tubbs?”

“You got a rep, you play it. That's the streets, Sonny. Besides, it'll make him more eager to talk to you and maybe get a picture or something back to Maynard.”

“True. I'm just not quite used to being live bait yet.”

Lester's voice echoed out of the Tech Room. “Guys! You should see the bugs lighting up! Moncado's making calls like crazy.”

“Stay on it, guys. Let us know if anything important comes out of it. We'll be at the boat or the Caddy's number.”

“Or Casa Cooper.” Rico grinned. “So sue me. I like the name. I don't need to work on my tan any more, and the Casa's got great air conditioning.”

“I get the appeal.”

Stan came out of the side room. “Might be a delay on some of the translation, Sonny. Not more than an hour, though. I need to swing by OCB and cage some spare parts for one of the sets. It took a dump on me about an hour ago.”

“Anything new from Izzy?”

“No, he's been quiet.”

“I always get nervous when that little rat is quiet.” Sonny grabbed his light blue blazer. “Come on, Tubbs. Let's take the scenic route to Casa Cooper and check in on Moreno. You said his room's at the Sea View?”

“Something like that, yeah.” Stan scratched his chin. “All you gotta do is look for a crowd of old people. You can bet Izzy's right in the middle trying to sell them something. In the old days he would have been one of those guys with 'miracle cure' wagons the townsfolk run off every couple of days.”

“Stan was right,” Sonny muttered as they parked the car. “All we had to do was look for the crowd.”

There was a small park set back from the sand, roughly manicured lawns and palm trees with picnic benches and a central area for cook-outs. Izzy Moreno stood in the middle of the open area, an arc of older people fanned out in front of him like spectators at the zoo. He'd found a sequin-covered tuxedo jacket somewhere, and it turned Izzy into a living disco ball in the mid-afternoon sun. His pants were an odd sky blue, and what looked to be platform shoes completed his look. He was holding something over his head and pitched his voice to reach the far ranks of his audience. “Joo know what I mean,” he said, in mid-pitch. “Joo older gentlemen in particular. Complains of age, they call it. Your ardor, she goes away in the boudoir. Joo are confused, yes? Joos don' know what to do, yes? Here!” His hand shot up, and Crockett got a glimpse of what looked like a gold-painted jockstrap. “Thees is jore salivation! All t' way from a secret lavatory in the deepest mountains of Spain I bring thees miracle to joo! Ten years in the making! Thees miracle is the Adonis Belt! Jore manhood will grow to a majestic oak in thees!”

He looked around and lowered his voice. “How do I, the poor Count Moreno, know thees majestical power, joo ask? The Belt was made for the bullfighters, joo know. Sometimes, an' I say this with delication, the bull catches them with the horns. Hemingway knew of thees problem, thees curse. But science has come to jore rescue! Thees pouch is made from special metals found only in those mountains, joo see. An' one of thees miracles can be jores today only. I ask joo, look at jore women. They deserve a man, jes? A mighty bull of a man, Hemingway might say. Thees belt can make joo that bull again.”

Tubbs started a slow clap. “It's a miracle, Count. Truly!”

Izzy glared. “Excuse me, please. I mus' speak with thees men.”

One of the old men in the front row waved his cane. “What about the damned belt?”

“Ju may purchase one as soon as I'm done with this audiences. Never fear.” Izzy turned away. “Why do joo two always interrupt my entrepenurials?”

“Maybe we just like old people.” Sonny looked at the limp fabric in Izzy's hand. “Really, Izzy? Spray-painting jockstraps gold? What next?”

“Maybe someday there will be a pill for thees problematical.” Izzy shook his head. “But until science catches up, I geev them hope.”

“No. You take their money.” Tubbs frowned. “But we aren't here about that, Izzy. We're curious about what else you've heard.”

“Since Pedrosa got killed the streets have been quiet.” Izzy grinned. “Joo know, they talk about how the Columbians might have done that. I know it was joo two, though.”

“How?”

“Only the bad guys are dead.” He shifted, his coat sending streaks of light shooting through the thick afternoon air. “An' with thees gang war mos' of the small-timers are taking vacationals. Getting out of Dodge. Joo know...”

“Waiting for the shooting to stop. I get it.” Sonny pinched the bridge of his nose. “Keep your ear to the ground, Izzy. And don't sniff any strange jock straps.”

Snorting, Izzy turned back to his diminished audience. “As I was saying before these peasants needed my royalist attentionals, thees belt...”

Tubbs waited to speak until they were back in the car. “You think he knows anything?”

“No. I think he's being straight.” Crockett sighed and leaned back, waiting for Tubbs to pull away from the curb. “Turf wars always shut down the little guys, and that's who Izzy cages his news from most days. And he did say Pedrosa was having trouble hiring more guns. That was solid intel.”

“Yeah. I wonder if Metro-Dade will find that one who got away?”

“Don't count on it. I don't think they're gonna look too hard. Like Izzy said, only the bad guys got killed.”

Tubbs was right, Sonny reflected as he stepped through the door. Air conditioning does feel damned good. Especially after being downwind of Moreno and his box of jock straps. The penthouse was starting to take on a comfortable, lived-in feeling without being cluttered. Dry cleaning still in its clear plastic bags hung on the bedroom door, and Sonny could see food packages on some of the shelves in the kitchen. “Finally settling in?”

“Yeah. I guess I was afraid they'd move me after a week or so. Took some time to adjust.”

“I was that way with the boat at first, too. Kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.”

Rico flopped down on the leather sofa and stretched out his legs. “I think we need to plan this out, Sonny. Away from the others.”

Walking over to the big plate-glass windows and looking out over the city, Sonny nodded. “I agree. Things will change based on what intel they dig up, but from here on out it's more or less our play.”

“Do you think Maynard's made you yet?”

“No,” Sonny shook his head as he spoke. “I don't think so. Pedrosa never took pictures. Hell, I don't think he even knew what a camera was. But that won't last with Moncado. We'll be on camera the second we leave Robbie's club, if not sooner. Then it's only a matter of time.”

“You think he'll make me?”

“Assume he does even if he doesn't. Maynard's a sharp cat. He might remember you from that little swamp shootout we had, or the plane. He's a spook, so his memory's good. But to be safe assume he makes you at the same time he makes me.”

“Solid.” Rico looked at Sonny with narrowed eyes. “Then what do we do?”

“Take him down.” Sonny turned back to the room, feeling the heat building in his eyes. “I still remember finding that heroin in those body bags, Rico. Maynard's an evil bastard. Pure and simple. He and Moncado will be setting the stage as soon as they make us, but we can call our own plays. That gives us an edge, I think.”

“And you're sure he won't just blow you up? You're positive?”

“Yeah. With me it's personal. He might try to take you out that way, but not me. He'll want to see me die up close, and I expect he'll want to do the killing himself.” Sonny looked away. “I know I would if I was in his shoes.”

“Do we take him alive?”

“That's the big question, isn't it, Rico? He's still gonna have friends in the government, and they'll want to spring him just to keep him quiet. That's how the system works.” He shook his head and kept looking out the window without seeing the skyline. Instead he saw the makeshift sprawl of Da Nang. “I'd like to try to take him alive, but that might not be possible in the end.”

“Why?”

“So long as he's alive he'll try to kill me. And you once he sees you. He might not give us a choice when it comes to taking him alive. He's not the guy who drops his gun and raises his hands when you flash the badge. He's more likely to use it as an aiming target.”

“Point taken.” Rico sat in silence for a time, and Sonny could almost see him turning the problem over in his mind. “We cover each other first and always. If he catches a round or six, so be it. I won't shed a tear.” He raised an eyebrow. “You think those two deputies will go along?”

“They're combat vets, Rico. They'll protect their team first and foremost. It's how they're trained.” He found a thin smile. “And I don't think they'd shed a tear for Captain Real Estate, either.”

“Solid.” Tubbs pushed himself up from the couch. “I don't know about you, but I could use a beer.”

“Make that two. Hell, maybe six.”

“Joo got it, mang.” Rico laughed. “Got a case in the fridge along with some Chinese take-out leftovers. All the comforts of home.”

“Sounds good. You got a phone handy? I'm gonna call Dave and let him know about tomorrow night. We can have them cover the outside of the club at the very least.”

“By now you've all met Mindy.” Martin Castillo looked around the table. “She's joining us from the marshal's office, mostly as a liaison. But know she's a fully-qualified deputy and has worked in the field in the past.”

Dave nodded. He and Randy were there because of the meeting tonight at The Sanctuary. “We've worked with her before. She's solid in the field. Hell of a shot, too.”

“Thank you.” Castillo adjusted his tie and looked at his notepad. “Are there any intelligence updates?”

Trudy shook her head. “Nothing new, lieutenant. Moncado doesn't talk near as much as Pedrosa, though I don't know if that's because his current network is smaller or he's more security-conscious. Given his background, I think he's just more aware he could be monitored. There are signs that he's getting ready for another incoming shipment, though. He's made calls to Columbia about something he calls 'Ulysses,' which we think is a code-name for a freighter. The most recent one went through yesterday and he talked to Tubbs.”

Stan took his turn, speaking for Lester who was busy in the Bug Van. “We had to pull replacement parts from OCB, but our net's up and running again. Trudy's right about security. Even the amount of chatter between the hired help has dropped off. And that's not just because three of them are dead.” He looked down. “The last of Pedrosa's gunmen hasn't come up on any channels we're listening to, either.”

“Dollars to doughnuts this Moncado had him put down.” Randy tapped the table with his trigger finger. “He don't seem like the kind who would tolerate a fool. Or someone who worked for one.”

“I think the deputy's correct.” Castillo nodded, making a notation on his pad. “We don't need to worry about him. Sonny?”

“We're on for tonight. Stan did a great job setting up the booth, and Robbie's in the loop. I stopped by last night to make sure and we had a good talk about things.”

“I hope you weren't tailed.”

“I don't think so.” Sonny shrugged. “What's done is done. It won't matter once Maynard sees a picture of 'Burnett.' Our plan is to go in solo. Dave and Randy will conduct overwatch outside the club. They'll page me if anything looks to be going down outside.”

“What about a wire?”

“Too risky. Moncado might check us for them.” Sonny grinned. “Robbie's got good security people, too. I don't think Moncado would try anything inside the club, and Dave and Randy can handle anything developing in the street.”

“Damn straight.” Dave spoke plain again, and Sonny was starting to think he did it just to see if he could get a reaction out of Castillo. “We've got our hide spot picked. Did that last night as soon as Sonny called. We'll see them, but they won't see us.”

Trudy spoke up. “Moncado usually moves with a security detail of three men. Two guards and a driver. He favors a black Mercedes, and DEA suspects it's armored. Surveillance reports indicate he likes to leave the guards outside if he's having a business meeting, but they're always close and have a good response time. They think he signals them with some kind of pager if anything's going down.”

“I'd feel better if we had some backup inside the club.” Castillo looked at his pad again. “Trudy, do you want to take Mindy? Switek and Lester are in the Bug Van all night.”

Trudy smiled. “Sure!” She turned to the pretty redhead. “We can go over our plan once the big briefing's done.”

Mindy nodded to Castillo. “Thank you for the opportunity, lieutenant. I won't let you down.”

“I never thought you would. People on my team are always afforded equal opportunities. No matter where they are initially.” He favored her with a quick smile. “All of you; be alert and be careful. Moncado will be on edge after Pedrosa's death. Never forget he's a dangerous and skilled man. He's not your normal Miami dealer. He ran death squads in Columbia and Peru. And he's Maynard's right hand. That's all.”

Once Castillo left the room Dave whistled. “Damn. You'd think we were about to hit the Citadel in Hue City the way he was talking.”

“Maybe we are.” Sonny narrowed his eyes. “Maynard's CIA going way back. Or Army-CIA. We were never sure which. But he was in Nam in '67 at least, and all the way through until Saigon. He was running heroin out of the country in body bags, and then the next time we found him he was running mercs into Nicaragua. Anyone who's as close to him as Moncado is has to be one ruthless son of a bitch.”

“Damn. I didn't know that about Maynard. I mean we read the file, but it doesn't have much to it. You're sure about the body bags?”

“Yeah. This guy I used to know showed them to me during the evacuation. Then later vets started dying when Maynard tried to offload the heroin here a few years back. It had been contaminate with embalming fluid from the bodies.”

“I take back what I said. Your boss is just being careful. Like any good CO.”

“Yeah. He just wanted to remind us this guy isn't a pushover like Pedrosa.”

Trudy looked around the table. “Let's get our plan straight. Mindy, we'll get you dressed for the club scene. We'll be in costume and in place by about seven-thirty. Maybe a bit later, but we want to be there before Crockett and Tubbs come in. Once they leave, we'll remain in position for at least fifteen minutes and then get out. We don't want to look like we're with them in case Moncado has his own people watching.”

Randy nodded. “We'll be in position before 1900. Better to settle in while there's still lots of street activity and no one notices us. We'll provide overwatch and exfil the area once all of you are clear. That includes Mindy and Trudy. If anything goes down we'll engage targets of opportunity from elevation and move to street level if it's tactically advisable.”

Rico took his turn. “We'll come in the Caddy, since it's Cooper's meeting and his play. I plan to hit the club about five minutes before the meeting. That way we can get a drink and look natural. We'll be armed, but no wires just in case. Moncado would expect us to be packing heat and I don't want to disappoint. I want to leave before he does, just in case he's got something set up outside, but we'll let him develop that situation. This is just supposed to be a negotiation, so I don't expect trouble. But we'll be ready if there is any.”

Sonny nodded. “I can deal with most close-in threats. Our vulnerable point is going to be leaving the club. We won't have ears, so Dave and Randy can't warn us if anything's brewing outside. Robbie's got security, but I asked him to keep them out of the way as much as possible. I don't his guys getting hurt because he's doing me a favor. But they might be able to give us a heads-up if anything looks off outside. And with Trudy and Mindy inside that might give us an edge if he tries to hit us from both sides.”

Mindy nodded. “We'll keep an eye on him for you. How do you want us to play it if Moncado sticks around?”

I like this girl. “Stay as long as you can and see if he talks to anyone. The Sanctuary has food, so you can always order something so you're not just nursing one drink at the bar all night.” Sonny tapped his fingers on the table. “We can't worry too much about who he's meeting, though. Robbie's club isn't a normal deal spot, so it's possible any contacts he has would be social.”

“Solid plan, people” Dave looked up from his own notes. “I'd say we're ready to rock and roll. Sonny?”

“Let's do it, people. Stan, good luck with the bugs tonight.”

“Tape change night's always a bitch. It'll go much faster with Lester helping, though.”

Mindy cleared her throat. “How can you be sure you'll get the right booth?”

“Robbie's got it reserved.” Sonny nodded, his head reminding him of the many shots of scotch he and his old friend had traded last night. “Good question, though. If Moncado asks, Tubbs called in the reservation last night. It's all squared in the books if someone bothers to look.” He looked around. “Anything else? No? Then get ready for showtime.”

Jenny's dock space was still empty when Tubbs dropped Sonny off at the boat. “I'll be back to pick you up about seven or seven fifteen,” he said as Sonny got out. “We don't want to be late.”

Sonny nodded and watched Rico drive away. That gave him a couple of hours to eat and get ready. Time alone before an operation was something he'd always needed. The time and space to get his head right for what might be coming. He also knew if he didn't feed Elvis the gator would tear up something on the boat.

Tossing Elvis a tuna, Sonny went below for a quick shower and changed into his Burnett rig. Gray slacks, dark blazer, and a black shirt. Reaching behind his neck he unhooked the chain holding Caitlin's ring and locked both in a small safe hidden behind one of the teak cabin panels. It wasn't something Burnett would wear, and he wanted to be totally in character tonight. Moncado wasn't going to be as easy to fool as Pedrosa. Not if he was half as good as the files hinted.

Running water in the small sink in the head, Sonny scrubbed his face again and looked in the mirror. There were more lines than he remembered. Emotional scars finally moving from his heart to his face, maybe. He could feel the coldness that made Burnett taking hold, brought on by the dark jacket and shirt. Funny. How the color brings that on. He stared at himself for another minute and then shut off the light. Part of him wanted a drink, but he pushed the idea away. He wanted to be stone-cold sober walking into the club. The first ten minutes with Moncado would likely be key, and his head had to be clear for all of it. Slipping on a pair of dark dress loafers, he went topside to wait for Tubbs and watch the sun sink into a red, watery grave.

It was ten minutes before eight when the big Caddy rolled to a stop in front of The Sanctuary. Getting out, Tubbs handed the keys to a valet in a short red jacket. “I guess the owner pulls out all the stops at night, hunh?”

“Only way we can keep the curb clear,” the kid said, going around and starting the big car. “Will you be here long, sir?”

“Hard to say. We got a business meeting.” Tubbs handed him a twenty. “Tell you what, keep her close just in case?”

“You got it.” The money disappeared in an instant, and Sonny watched with a grin as the valet eased the car away.

“I think you just made that kid's night.”

“Hell, why not? Best way I can think of to return seized money to the community. Now let's get in there and get this done.”

The doorman seemed to be expecting them and passed them though without a word. Once inside, a girl in a short black dress appeared out of nowhere with a table card. “You're the gentlemen for number seven? Right this way.” She turned and headed off in a show of long legs and lilting backside.

“Remind me to get her number,” Tubbs whispered to Sonny as they followed her through the crowd.

“Sure.” Sonny kept his eyes moving, picking out Trudy and Mindy at the bar right away. He also saw a few bigger men with earpieces, and marked them as Robbie's security. At least four in close proximity to the bar. He didn't forget anything they taught us, that's for sure.

“You got his guys spotted?”

“Yeah. Four of 'em, anyhow. And our girls, too. No sign of Moncado yet, at least not anyone who looks like the photo in the file.”

The girl stopped beside a booth with a centerpiece decorated with blue flowers. “Here you are, gentlemen. Nita will be by with the drink menu. Were you planning to eat?”

“We don't know yet. We're waiting on a third.”

“Of course.” She smiled. “She'll check back once your party's complete.” Then she was gone again, a whirl of efficiency in a tight dress.

“Damn! I'll just say it again. I think we're in the wrong line of work, partner.”

“Don't I know it, Rico.” Sonny shook his head, trying to fight off Burnett's hazy memories and stay focused. “Don't I know it,” he repeated.

Nita turned out to be a short brunette with the same short dress and bright smile. She left the menus at the table, promising to be back as soon as their third arrived. “Unless you'd like drinks now,” she added with another smile.

“Black Jack for me. Neat.”

“And I'd like scotch, please. Johnny Walker Black. On the rocks.” Tubbs unleashed one of his dazzling Cooper smiles. “Thank you, pretty lady.”

“Put it in park, Romeo. I think Moncado just came in.”

Tubbs looked toward the entryway. “Looks like him to me, partner. Showtime.”

“How's he gonna spot us?”

“Watch and learn, my country friend.” Tubbs chuckled as Moncado spoke briefly to the blonde with the table card. “He just asked where Cooper was sitting.”

“Smart ass.” Sonny didn't say anything else, focusing all his attention on Tico Moncado.

The file photos didn't do the man justice. He was tall, likely over six feet, with a head full of dark hair swept back and greased in place. Bright blue eyes peered out over a hawk nose and offset by a neatly-trimmed dark goatee. His suit could have been taken from Tubbs' closet; well-cut and made from what Crockett guessed was raw silk. Either he wasn't wearing a gun or the suit had been tailored for concealment, since it fit well and showed no bulges in the club's erratic light. He moved smoothly through the crowd, heading straight for their table like an arrow fired from the doorway. For such a big man Sonny noticed his hands were small. His voice was deep and commanding, like you'd expect from a former officer. “You must be Senior Cooper! And Senior Burnett.” The hand shot out like a weapon.

Tubbs rose, taking the offered hand. “Senior Moncado. It's an honor to finally meet you.”

“Likewise.” Sonny shook the offered hand, exerting just enough pressure to remind Moncado that Burnett wasn't someone easily dismissed. Even though he was sure the fiction wouldn't last much past this meeting he had a role to play.

They sat, and Moncado ordered scotch as well when Nita returned with their drinks. “It's a habit I just can't break,” he said apologetically. “I also can't start talking business until everyone has a drink.”

“I understand.” Tubbs nodded, taking a sip of scotch and nodding with appreciation. “After New York I find Miami a bit of an adjustment.”

“How so, my friend?”

“Up there it's business, business, and more business. Down here you have these customs, ceremonies you have to follow. Less of a hurry.”

“Which do you prefer?”

Tubbs smiled. “I guess it depends. In times like ours, I do enjoy the ceremony. But when it's just business, I'd rather get down to it and not waste any time.”

“And you, Burnett? Which do you prefer?”

“Wasting time burns fuel and darkness in my line of work. The sooner things get done the better.”

Moncado laughed. “A superb answer.” He nodded his thanks when Nita reappeared with his drink. “And now we can begin.” He waited for the girl to step away from the table. “Let me start by expressing my deep regret at the actions of my former employee. My only regret is that I was unable to make him pay personally for his transgressions. It does, however, speak to the efficiency of your people, Mr. Burnett.”

“That's why I work with him.” Rico moved to take control of the conversation. “My people accept your condolences, but you understand it does make them wary. That's twice we've had people in your organization go rogue.”

“Of course.” Moncado smiled, showing white teeth Sonny figured he must have spent three grand for. “That's why we will discount your first three shipments by ten percent.” He spread his hands palms up. “Our way of making amends and building for the future.”

“My people were thinking twenty, but I'm sure we can hit something agreeable to us both.” Tubbs flashed his best Cooper grin. “The point here is to make money over the long term.”

Sonny leaned back, letting the two men haggle back and forth. Rico was good enough not to push too hard and not appear weak in the process. But he also had a role to play. “Here's where I stand, Mr. Moncado. My end is transport. I can handle so much without expanding, and if I'm contracted for more than that I have to bring in additional capacity. That means my price goes up. What you and Cooper agree to isn't really my business. My business is making sure what you agree to gets from your people to his with a minimum of loss.”

“Very good. And your losses to date?”

“Zero. I have good people and good routes.” Sonny smiled. “Of course I absorb any losses, but that also drives up my base cost. I've handled over thirty shipments for Cooper's people and never lose a key.”

“Not one?” Moncado raised his eyebrows.

“Not one.” Tubbs replied. “That's why I brought Burnett to this meeting.”

“I dabbled in the side of the business you people are doing. Not my thing. So I stick with what I know. Transportation and security for that transportation.”

“A wise man knows his strengths and, most importantly, his weaknesses.” Moncado signaled for another round of drinks and held his silence until Nita returned with a full tray. “Now comes my question for you: can you handle a cargo of six hundred keys with no notice?”

Sonny made a show of calculating. “With the capacity I have on hand? Yes. I can go a bit above that even, but when you hit eight things change.”

“Good to know.” Moncado looked at Tubbs. “And do your people have limits, Mr. Cooper?”

“Do yours?”

Moncado laughed again. “A fair point. In honesty our limits are the same as Mr. Burnett's and subject to the same pressures.”

“Then we can absorb everything up to your limit and beyond.” Tubbs took a sip of scotch. “Although I think my people would be most comfortable with that lower number first. At least until things settle into place and our own distribution is clarified.”

“I do know quality was an issue. You will never see cocaine like Reno's again from my people. You have my word. We can guarantee at least ninety percent purity with every shipment. We control the pipeline up to the point it reaches Miami, so there is no one to, how do you say? Step on it.”

“That's right.” Sonny chuckled. “Step on it. Reno sure as hell did.”

“And then the Coast Guard stepped on him.” Rico found his own chuckle. “Although I didn't appreciate almost getting stepped on in the bargain.”

“Another man I wish I could have settled scores with personally. But no matter.” Moncado looked at the last of the scotch in his glass. “There is another custom I enjoy. I like to conclude successful discussions with a toast. May we, gentlemen?”

“Of course.” Tubbs raised his glass. “A toast to our association. May it bring us all profit.”

“Yeah.” Sonny touched glasses with the other two, content to play Burnett as weary with the whole thing. “Profits and success, gents.”

Moncado downed his scotch and glanced at his watch. “Much as I'd love to share a meal with you gentlemen, I'm afraid I have another appointment across town. She is, shall we say, quite lovely.” He tossed a fifty dollar bill on the table. “It was a pleasure meeting both of you. I'll be in touch soon regarding our first shipment. It should be ready to move in the next few days.”

“If I need to reach you?”

“Pedrosa's number will reach me. I keep it as a reminder of what happens when I promote fools.” Standing, he gave a short, Continental bow. “Good evening, gentlemen.”

Sonny looked at Rico and shook his head as soon as Moncado turned his back. They finished their drinks and headed out, Sonny leaving a twenty in addition to Moncado's money for Nita. The street was clear when they stepped out into the thick night air, and within seconds the valet had the Caddy idling at the curb. “Have a great night,” he said as Tubbs slipped him more cash.

They were driving back to Casa Cooper when Tubbs finally spoke. “So what do you think of Moncado?”

“That's one dangerous individual. Talks smooth as an ambulance-chasing lawyer, but did you see his eyes? Dead. Flat and dead. He'd cut your tongue out as soon as look at you and never feel a thing.”

“Same thing I got.” Tubbs watched the road for a time. “We need to be damned careful with this one, partner.”

“I wonder what Maynard has on him? To keep him on the leash.”

“Maybe he just lets him burn a village from time to time.”

“Maybe he does. There's some nasty stuff going on in Peru. Let alone Columbia. Maybe that's how Maynard keeps him reined in.”

“I was kidding.”

“I'm not.” Sonny looked out at the passing building lights. “I wouldn't put anything past Maynard.”

“Yeah. Do you think he had anyone with him?”

“No, but they might have been outside. We'll know more once we talk to the others.” Sonny thought back to the whole meeting. “He wouldn't bring anyone in because he doesn't think he needs anyone else with him. That dude is totally confident. It might be something we can use down the line.”

“Yeah. But right now I'd rather get a drink and figure out how I'm going to get that table girl's number.”

“Hell, I'll just call Robbie. What was her name? Debbie?”

“Yeah. Debbie. At least that's what I think her name tag said.”

Sonny chuckled. “You weren't looking at it, were you?”

“Well..I was looking near it. Doesn't that count?”

It was after one before Tubbs dropped Sonny back at the boat. “I'm sure Castillo will want to debrief in the morning,” he said as Sonny climbed out. “You want me to pick you up?”

“Naw. I'll drive in. See you then.” Sonny turned, noticing with some unexpected regret that Jenny's boat was still gone. The scotch was still warming his stomach, so the walk to the boat was quick. He muttered reassurances to Elvis and went below. Morning would come before he knew it, and all he knew was he needed sleep.