The More Things Change...(Part XV)

Robbie C.

Morning found the team assembled around the conference table, drinking coffee and going over notes. Sonny looked at his list. “I'll get with Mindy once we're done and go through the surveillance stuff. See what's still viable and what's done for. I also think we might want to reach out to Izzy. See if he's heard anything. That LAW made a big noise, and Metro-Dade's not really doing a good job of making it go away.”

“Dave and I had overwatch on the site most of yesterday,” Randy reported in his matter-of-fact way. “No sign of anyone coming back to gloat or take trophies. Metro-Dade did have it taped off, though, and a unit was there until dusk. You want us to try again?”

“No. I need you close at hand in case Moncado moves.” Castillo nodded. “Good job, though. If we were dealing with someone less professional I think it would have paid off. But Moncado's a pro.”

“Roger that.” Randy leaned back in his chair. “Oh, and I wanted to pass along the chief deputy's best wishes for Stan and Lester. He was also damned happy with that present you dumped in his lap yesterday.”

Dave laughed. “He's been feuding with Metro-Dade for over a year now about this and the other. Now you gave him a big ol' card to play. He also said there's a tactical team on call for the task force if we need it.”

“Thank you.” Castillo nodded. “I should also let you know that I've requested that all three of you be assigned to the task force so long as it remains operational. Any objections?”

Mindy spoke first. “No, sir. Not a one. This is the most I've been able to do since I got to Miami.”

“We're in.” Dave spoke for Randy, who just nodded. “This is the most damned fun we've had in years.”

“Good. We'll be busy until Stan and Lester return to duty. Thanks to Stan's quick thinking we may still have a window of opportunity with Tico Moncado. I don't know how long it will last. That's all, people. Tubbs, once Crockett's done helping Mindy you two go contact Moreno. If he knows anything I want it.”

“You got it, lieutenant.” Sonny looked down the table at Mindy and smiled. “Let's see what's left of the web those two put together.” The thought triggered others in his head, and he stopped. “I just thought of something. Robbie. We need to tell him to pull the wires out of that booth.”

“Do it.”

Sonny made the call, reaching Robbie at home and taking seconds to relay the information. “We don't think you're in any danger,” he finished, “but I want to be sure. Get rid of the equipment. This guy might be cleaning up after what he thinks is Pedrosa's mess.”

Robbie chuckled, the sound hollow over the lines. “You got it, Sonny. And he's not getting at me or the club. I've got my own security. Some parts of the family still aren't too happy with me so I have to be careful.”

“Yeah. And...thanks for the other night, man.”

“Any time, buddy. Next time bring those scout-snipers along. We'll have a full-on Da Nang party.”

“You got it.” Sonny smiled as he hung up the phone. “Robbie's on it. Now let's go look through their stuff and see what's still operational.”

It took just under an hour, and when they came back out of the tech room Mindy was still shaking her head. “It looks like Moncado found and fried just about every bug tied to Pedrosa. One or two are still good, but they're on places Reno used mostly. But we still have one active tap on a line Moncado used out of his house in the Keys. It's still good.”

Sonny nodded. “His crew cleaned house on anything tied to Pedrosa, lieutenant.”

Castillo nodded. “I was afraid of that. Mindy, see what you can do about keeping that tap working. Crockett, you and Tubbs go pay Moreno a visit.”

Tubbs got up from the table, closing one of Trudy's intelligence briefing folders. “I think I got a better handle on this Moncado cat now, lieutenant. Trudy put together a damned good briefing.”

Trudy blushed. “Thanks, Rico. Just doing my job.”

“And a damned good job it is.” Randy chimed in from his end of the table. “Dave and I are going through this stuff, too. If we have to take him out, it's good to know how he thinks and might react.” He looked down the table at Castillo. “Did you have an assignment for us, lieutenant?”

“Get out on the range. Make sure your rifles are sighted in and everything's ready to go. We won't have an advantage in numbers, at least not right away. So we need it in precision.”

“Roger that. We'll go do what we do best.” Randy looked at Crockett and Tubbs. “Page us if you need any backup, guys.”

“You got it.” Tubbs grinned. “Now let's go visit Miami's own open-air freak show.”

“I think I'd rather drop an engine block on my foot.” Sonny sighed. “But if it's gotta be done...”

They found Izzy in his natural environment: trying to scam people out of their money. This time it looked like he'd left the shoes at home, opting instead for something more dramatic. But he was still wearing the sequin-encrusted tuxedo jacket. “Joo know what I mean, gen'lemen. When joor lady is all in the mood, but joo are just too tired. Too exhilarated from the day's laboriousness.” Izzy held court in the open air patio of one of the smaller hotels dotting the beach line, and a small crowd gathered to hear his pitch.

Sonny was about to walk over when Tubbs held up his hand. “Wait. I want to see what he's got for my exhilaration from being laborious.”

On cue, Izzy turned back to his rapt audience. “But I have something for joo that will ease your mind an' fire your libidos. Bring the young buck to the bedroom an' romanticalize those invasive moments with jore lady. It comes to me from a medicine woman. Made from the very horns of bulls from Pamplona. Hemingway wrote of those bulls, joo know. The very essence of masculinitizing powers an' brute strength. Joo apply this tonic to jore manhood, an' your lady she will be gratificationized in the bedroom.”

Tubbs shook his head. “Ok that's enough.” He raised his voice. “Izzy! We need to talk!”

Sonny nodded. “Come on, Izzy! What did we tell you about that stuff?” He looked over at one white-haired bystander and shook his head. “Last guy who tried to use that stuff almost lost his manhood.”

“Lies! Why do joo tell such lies?” Izzy frowned, slipping the brown bottle into the pocket of his jacket. “I will be right back, gen'lemen. For the sake of jore ladies, wait for my return.” Walking over, his eyes flashed. “Why do joo try to crush my entrepenurialized efforts? Capitalism, man! It made this country great.”

“Spare us the talk, Izzy.” Rico moved in closer, making Izzy flinch. “We need to know what you've been hearing.”

“You mean the fireworks?” Izzy snorted. “That was some outside firepower, joo can bet on that. It's got the streets as quiet as jore bedroom without my tonic.”

Sonny chuckled. “Maybe so, Izzy. But there's gotta be some other word out there. Pedrosa's dead, so his action's up for grabs.”

“No one's moving in. The word is anyone who does goes up like the van.” Izzy waved his hands in the air. “Bam! There's also been some talk about shooters from out of town. Scary dudes from exotic island localities, or so they say. Or mainland localities. Joo know how it is.” He scrunched up his forehead. “I did hear one of those Colombian guys say they can't get guns no more. Someone shut down t' trade.” He raised his hands. “That's all I know.”

“So in other words you don't know squat.”

“Joo call it squat, I say the street is saying nothing. People are scared, man! Even those crazy Columbians trying to go to war with the Dominicans. They're scared. An' if those people are scared, no one else talks.”

Sonny nodded. “Go back to your scam, Moreno. But if anything breaks, and I mean anything, you call. I don't want to have to come looking for you again.”

They were on their way back to the office, Crockett easing the Ferrari through traffic, when Tubbs broke the silence. “You think he's telling the truth?”

“I think the little bozo's scared. And he's scared because everyone else is scared. You heard him. Even the Columbian-Dominican feud has gone on hold. Everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop.”

“Yeah, and we don't even know what size it is.”

“Pretty damned big if it can stop all those nutjobs cold. It has to be Moncado. The Columbians would know his reputation and likely be scared to death of him. All he'd have to do is give the word.”

“And you think the out-of-town shooters are his?”

“It fits. He blows in, firepower goes up, and the local gun supply dries up. It's just setting the stage.”

Tubbs was about to reply when his pager buzzed, demanding attention over the whine of the Ferrari's engine. He looked down and grinned. “And speak of the devil. Moncado just reached out and touched someone. Me. Step on it, partner. This is one call I'm not waiting on.”

Back in the conference room, Sonny sat down to watch Rico make his call. Just don't seem right without Stan and Lester here he thought, watching his partner hit buttons on the phone system like a pro. Something else that snake Maynard has to pay for. Right now all he could do is sit and watch, and it was an uncomfortable feeling.

Rico went right into Cooper mode. “Good to hear from you, Mr. Moncado. I was starting to wonder if our deal was off.” He tapped his fingers on the table. “No, there are no second thoughts in New York. Some concern at the delay, but no second thoughts.” He smiled, rolling his eyes. “Maybe they do need to slow down, but in New York City it's all business all the time. My people like to see their money making more money, not waiting for a payday that might never come.” Rico listened for a minute. “And they also want me to come back north if there's no deal to be made.” He shook his head. “No one is trying to pressure you. It's just the reality of our business.” He listened again. “Another meeting? If it will help you settle the deal into place, I don't see any reason not to meet. And I'll bring Burnett of course.” Tubbs sketched a dollar sign on the table with his index finger. “His boats and trucks are sitting idle now. He's not making any money while we dance around. I think he's getting a bit pissed.” He stifled a chuckle. “Where did you have in mind? The Sanctuary again? Sounds good to me. I like their drinks. But this time I pick the time. Tonight at ten. The sooner we seal this the better my people will feel.”

Sonny nodded as soon as Rico hung up the phone. “I'll page Dave and Randy and see if we can get them into place for overwatch again.” He looked over at the open office door. “If that's ok with you, lieutenant.”

“Do what you need to do. The sooner we can pin Maynard to the wall the better.” Castillo's eyes narrowed. “But be careful with Moncado. How did he sound?”

“Controlled but desperate.” Tubbs outlined a box with his fingers. “He's in that, and Maynard's drawing the walls in tighter and tighter. He got really nervous when I mentioned going back to New York.”

“Good. Play it however you need to. We still have a deputy on call if he wants to see one of your New York people.” Castillo allowed them a thin smile. “Although I think we're past that now. He needs this deal too badly.”

“You got that right.” Rico looked across the table. “I hope you don't mind me setting Burnett up as the bad guy.”

“Naw. I was thinking the same thing. Any good transport man gets pissed when his boats and trucks aren't working. And I, I mean Burnett, has to be on call for this deal 24-7. So there's no other product moving because of the size of the deal.” He nodded. “I think you played it just right. And I'll add to it at the meeting. I heard him pick Robbie's club again.”

“Is that a problem?”

“No. I'm sure he got the booth cleaned up as soon as he hung up the phone. And he's smart enough to not approach us if he sees us coming in.” Sonny paused, thinking back on his friend from college and later Vietnam. “No, Robbie knows the score.” He reached for the phone. “I'll page Dave and see if we can get them into position. I'd feel a damned sight better knowing they're up there.

The rest of the day was a blur as far as Sonny was concerned. After getting Dave and Randy read into the plan, he spent some time going over his weapons, knowing there was a chance he'd need them tonight. But there was now the possibility they wouldn't be enough. How many LAWs did that damned arms dealer buy, and how many of them did Moncado have? He didn't think the man had connected the Bug Van with them, but as soon as Maynard saw a photo of him a different connection would be made.

It was a risk no matter what spin you put on it. Sonny sighed, letting the slide run forward on the 4506 with a satisfying crack of metal on metal and it locked a round into the chamber. Dumping the magazine he added another round to replace the one he'd just loaded and then slammed the magazine home. Turning down the safety catch and dropping the hammer was the final touch before the pistol went back into his shoulder rig. Its weight, balanced by two loaded magazines suspended in a pouch on the right side of the rig, was a familiar comfort for a night that might prove more dangerous than they anticipated.

But that was part of what drew Sonny back to Miami and led him to the task force. His ex-wife had once accused him of getting high on the action. In a way she hadn't been wrong. That thrill was something Sonny had always known, starting with high school football and the University of Miami and then graduating to Vietnam. Combat was terrifying, no question. But it also had a spark – a charge – Sonny had found nowhere else. Fast boats didn't do it. Drinking dulled the edge for a time, but he knew it was a crutch he didn't need and one that could get him killed when focus mattered. He'd been ready to give it up when he found a similar spark with Caitlin, but with her dead the combat thrill was all he had left. At least it felt that way some days.

Looking up, he saw Rico watching him with an amused expression. “What? I fart or something and didn't notice?”

“No. You've got that 'poor Sonny' face on again.” Rico chuckled. “I get it, partner. It's the action that keeps me coming back, too. I know it ain't all there is, but what else do we have? Either of us.”

“Yeah. Maybe that's what makes us so damned good at the Job. But there's days I wonder...”

“So do I. But this can't be one of those days.”

“No. It can't.” Sonny got up and looked across the table. “Let's get some food and then go see if we can make Moncado piss his tight little Columbian pants. God! I hate the way those fools dress.”

“Is everything ready?”

Sonny almost jumped. He hadn't heard Castillo come back into the room. “I think so, lieutenant. Dave and Randy will be in overwatch before 1800. That gives them about four hours on station before Moncado should arrive. Mindy, I mean Deputy O'Laughlin, is going to monitor Moncado's remaining bugs just to see if anything's coming down the line. And Detective Joplin is checking on Stan and Lester.”

“Good. They need to see as many of us as possible. Let them know we don't forget our wounded brothers.” Castillo paused. “I'm available as backup if things get hot.”

“Good. Hopefully it won't, but we'll plan for the worst.” Sonny looked at Tubbs and winked. “Now let's get that damned food.”

They took their time, lingering over coffee once the waitress cleared the plates, and started for The Sanctuary just after nine. “You care if we get there early?” Sonny asked as he eased the Ferrari away from the curb.

“Not really. But what's out story if he sees the car?”

“Yours is in the shop. I offered to give you a lift. Simple enough.” They drove in silence for a time before Sonny asked, “You're sure he sounded OK on the phone? Ready to deal?”

“I think so. He's a hard cat to read, but I do think he wants this next deal. Trudy's intel said his ships should be docking tomorrow, so the product will be in place. If Pedrosa told him anything, he likely thinks Cooper prints his own money and can deal at the drop of a hat.” Tubbs grinned. “And it's not like he can take eight hundred keys down to the corner dealer if this deal goes south. He's stuck with us and he's smart enough to know it.”

“Yeah. I just don't want to see him get cold feet and try to pull out.”

“That's where Burnett comes in. Convince him the price of pulling out is more than he wants to pay.”

Sonny nodded, feeling the suppressed instincts floating up from fog in the back of his mind. “That I can do, partner. That I can do.” But at what cost? Hell...does it matter? That bastard almost killed Stan and Lester. It's worth it.

It was just after ten when they pulled up outside The Sanctuary. Sonny turned the Ferrari over to one of Robbie's bulky valet attendants and then headed straight to the door. “We're on the list,” he said the big man who could have been the parking attendant's brother. “Burnett and Cooper.”

The big man scanned the VIP list and nodded. “You are. Have a nice evening, gents.” Then they were in and making their way past the bar toward the back booths.

Moncado was already there, sitting at a table close to the emergency exit. He appeared to be alone, but Sonny could feel eyes on his and suspected at least one bodyguard loomed close by somewhere. Those little spider feet were tapping again. He let Rico lead, keeping a step or two back so he could react if it turned out Moncado was stupid enough to try to take them out in Robbie's club.

He wasn't. The man rose, his goatee neatly trimmed and eyes without expression even though his mouth smiled. “Mr. Cooper! Mr. Burnett! Please, have a seat. I took the liberty of ordering for you. Scotch and Jack Daniel's, is that right? She will have the drinks here shortly.”

Sonny gave a short nod, while Rico went full-on Cooper. “I appreciate the gesture, Mr. Moncado. He have much to talk about, yes?”

Moncado's eyes darted from one man to the other, shifting focus to scan the background. Sonny gave his best Burnett sneer. “Don't worry, pal. We came alone.”

“It's not that I do not trust you, Burnett,” he said in a tone proclaiming the opposite of his words, “but there has been much cleaning to do in the aftermath of Carlos Pedrosa.”

“I'm not surprised. He was out of his league.”

Rico raised a hand. “And he's dead now. We need to move on with this business, yes?”

“Of course. Of course.” Moncado paused when the blonde waitress arrived with their drinks. Once she left he continued. “And that is why I wanted to meet with you. A shipment identical to the last will be ready for pick-up tomorrow. The same volume, but better purity. Almost one hundred percent. I feel that might be worth a bit more to your organization.”

“Maybe, but my organization's also worried about yours. So far two of your people have come to bad ends, and they were both in management.” Rico sipped his scotch and allowed Moncado a thin smile. “They are concerned about your security. As well as the long-term stability of the relationship.”

“Your people need not worry. Reno was a mistake, and Carlos...well...as Burnett put it he was out of his league. Had you not killed him I would have done it myself. As I said at our last meeting.”

“And I conveyed that to my New York associates. They appreciate the gesture, but I'm sure you can understand that they're still concerned.”

Moncado nodded. “Of course. Security is a top concern of mine as well. That's why cleaning up after Pedrosa has been such a challenge. It seems he was, how do you say, wired.”

“What!” Sonny played his Burnett outrage to the full. “You've got cops sniffing all over your organization and you expect us to trust you?”

“Calm, Mr. Burnett. Not my organization. Carlos' little operation. My end remains secure. Of that you may be sure. But how do I know those cops didn't find him through you?”

“He never met any of my people until the second deal went down. And don't get me started about Reno and the Coast Guard.” Sonny snorted. “Hell, you ask me it was Reno and his little heroin connection that turned the cops on to Pedrosa.”

Moncado's eyes narrowed. “Heroin?”

“Guess Little Carlos didn't mention that in the board meetings, did he?”

Rico nodded. “Reno had some kind of arrangement with a punk dealer to run heroin. Pedrosa hinted he controlled the supply before his...demise.”

“My organization does not deal in heroin. This may call for some more investigation.”

“I think the Coast Guard done investigated that right out of the water for you.”

This time Moncado's smile was almost genuine. “You have a way with words, Burnett.”

Sonny smiled. “I get by.”

“I am sure.” Like flipping a switch Moncado cut Sonny out of the conversation and turned back to Rico. “But my offer remains on the table, Mr. Cooper. We can proceed with the higher-grade product at the same price as before. A show of good faith on my part. I still find it odd that these problems all started when you arrived, but Reno had also just assumed his new position in the organization. A mistake on Pedrosa's part, it would seem.”

“A big mistake.” Rico leaned forward. “And it was Reno and his pal Tio who brought up the heroin, Moncado, not me. So if you're having problems with security I'd suggest you put your own house in order first. My people want me back in New York to handle certain issues, and it's easy for me to book a flight and head back.”

“Of course. Just as I could find another buyer.”

“I don't think so. Not for the amount we can buy at one time. Or the expansion we offer. The whole east coast and as far west as Detroit.” Rico smiled. “You'd have to hit a lot of street corners to even come close.”

“And you'd have to deal with a lot of punks before you could find someone who could bring in as much weight at the purity I can. Ninety percent is low for our product, Mr. Cooper.” Moncado leaned back in his chair and signaled a passing waitress for another round of drinks. “But you already know this.”

The two men argued back and forth for a time. Sonny followed with half his attention, the other half focused on the club around them. He thought he'd picked out one of Moncado's bodyguards; a big, swarthy man who looked vaguely Cuban wearing a well-cut suit and nursing a drink at the bar. He also spotted one of Robbie's security men watching the guy closely and suppressed a smile. Robbie hires good people. Damned good people. There was an ex-military air to the man; how he stood, his haircut, how poorly he wore civilian clothes. Ten to one he's ex-Columbian military of some kind. Bad news right there. But that was the only one he picked out in his search. Either Moncado had more near the door, which was too far away for any kind of close security, or he was fairly confident the meeting would be peaceful. Or the single bodyguard was really good. Sonny guessed it was a combination of the last two.

Scan done, he focused back on the conversation. Moncado and Rico were still dancing back and forth about security and shipment cost with no end in sight. He sensed Tubbs had pushed as far as he was going to, and Moncado appeared willing to keep dancing until the sun came up. It was time, he decided, to display some of Burnett's charm. Reaching under his dark gray blazer he pulled out the 4506 and slammed it flat down on the table, ice cubes chattering in their glasses as the heavy stainless steel pistol hit the wood.

“Let's cut the chase. My boats are sitting idle, losing money. My trucks aren't moving. Losing money. And the more money I lose, the more likely it is my drivers go to someone else to make their living.” He smiled, a thin thing that just touched his eyes. “Sorry to be dramatic, but my end of the business is different than yours. I only get paid when there are shipments moving, and I can't wait forever like you two. I know of at least three other organizations that need transportation now. I've been patient with this, but that time's over. Give me a reason to stay or you'll be finding new boats and trucks.” He slid the pistol back into his holster. “And trust me, you won't find another organization with reach or the record mine has in all of south Florida.”

Moncado's hand had tracked toward his own coat when Sonny's pistol flashed out, but settled back to the table as soon as he saw the reason behind the gesture. Now both his hands came up and he clapped slowly. “Bravo, Burnett. I admire both your flair for the dramatic and ability to bring clarity to muddy waters.” He turned to Rico. “Is what he says true?”

“Yeah. My people checked his organization out before authorizing me to talk to him. He's never had a bust, guarantees his service, and can move product as far north as the Carolinas without having to bring on more people. Without him the deal's set back weeks. Maybe months if we have to build our own network.”

“And you'd see a fight over that, pal.” Sonny raised a hand. “Not from me. I've got my market already. But from the other small fry who'd be pissed at you cutting in on their turf. With me, I've already got the security in place. They don't fuck with me...not more than once anyhow.”

“I did hear about how you dealt with Reno's man being disrespectful.” Moncado inclined his head. “Another fine dramatic flair. And you are right. Time is a concern to my people as well.” He turned back to Rico. “I'll contact you with the exact details, but the deal will go down tomorrow night. Same price as before, and the same conditions as before.”

“Agreed.” Rico nodded without batting an eye. “Page me when you have the details.”

“Of course.” Moncado turned back to Sonny. “You will need your boat, Burnett. That should suffice this time. We did not have time to, how do you say, spread things around this time.”

“Fine by me. Sea routes are easier to run on short notice anyhow.” Sonny nodded, pretending not to notice a disturbance by the bar. He guessed Moncado's guard must have done something and Robbie's men were showing him the door.

“Excellent. I have arrangements to make.” Moncado rose, extending his hand to each man. “I look forward to seeing you again under more pleasant circumstances.”

“Likewise. Maybe next time we can discuss a longer-term arrangement. Regular shipments.”

Moncado nodded. “Perhaps. Good evening, gentlemen.”

Once the tall Columbian left the table, Rico started to speak when Sonny raised a finger to his lips. “Guess that settles it, Cooper,” he said in Burnett mode. “I'll have my boys get the boat ready. Let me know once this asshole reaches out.”

Rico nodded, understanding what Sonny was doing. “You got it, Burnett. Sorry this is tying your people up like it is. We'll make it up to you with the commission.”

“I hope so. Had to do a bit of arm-twisting to keep Lance in the game. He wanted to jump to Carlotti's crew.”

They talked a bit more in their cover modes in case Moncado had bugged the booth, and then finished their drinks and moved through the crowd toward the door. As soon as they hit the clean night air Sonny reached into his jacket for the pack of Lucky Strikes and lit up, feeling the smoke slide over his tongue and into his lungs. He tipped the valet with a twenty when he brought the Ferrari around, and soon they were driving into the night.

Rico looked over at Sonny, his face a glowing profile from the neon signs flashing by. “That was a hell of a stunt with that cannon of yours, partner.”

“Yeah, but it got his attention. Without it you two would still be back there arguing about who looked better in their prom dress.” Sonny chuckled, flooring it to shoot through a yellow light. “Besides, you wanted me to go all Burnett. I think those were your exact words.”

Rico laughed. “Guess I should be careful what I wish for, is that it? Still, it worked out. It did get his attention and got us another deal.” He shook his head. “You think we'll get the buy money?”

“Why not? They'll just seize it back again when they shut down whatever bank it's going into. Just think of it as recycling, Rico. We're doing our little bit to keep Izzy's free entrepenurialization or whatever the little freak calls it going.”

“Greasing the wheels we called it back in New York, but yeah it's the same thing.” Rico looked out the window. “How did he seem to you?”

“Tense, but he hides it damned well. I'd hate to play poker with him. I spotted one guard, up by the bar, but I think Robbie's guys tossed him when I pulled out the Smith to make my point. I'm sure Dave and Randy can tell us more once they debrief.”

“You really think he had the booth bugged?”

“He's smart enough, so it's better to play it safe. If he can find Stan's stuff, there's no reason to think he couldn't put in his own.” Sonny kept his eyes on the road, but his mind was years back and looking through a fog again. “That's what Burnett would do, so I figured it's what he might do.” He also didn't want to think back on what he'd said to Moncado too much. It was too damned close to one of the pitches Cliff had made to drivers he recruited for Burnett's organization. Just when I think I've put that behind me it comes back again. Maybe that shrink was right...it's a part of me now whether I like it or not.

“You ok, partner?”

“Sorry. Yeah. Just thinking about that meeting is all. You think he'll show for the deal? If there is a deal?”

“I don't know. I know Cooper wouldn't. Not if he was still worried about security. I think we mostly convinced him, especially once the heroin came into the picture, but like you said he's a paranoid son of a bitch. I know I'll feel better if we have Dave and Randy with us. If it's a hit I want those two close by.”

“I think you'd have to cuff them to a wall to keep them away, Rico.” They eased to a stop at a red light. “You think we should write this up tonight?”

“Sure. The lieutenant might even still be there. Be good to give him a heads-up about the buy.”

A dim desk lamp cast shadows over Martin Castillo's desk, giving him just enough light to make out words on the papers in front of him. He'd sent Trudy and Mindy home over an hour ago, and he found himself nursing the unfamiliar yet welcome feeling of wanting to leave himself and hold Trudy in his arms while they listened to the waves crashing on the unseen beach. But duty told him he had to wait for Crockett and Tubbs.

He looked up when they came in. “Have a seat.” He waved to two chairs positioned in front of the desk. “How did it go?”

Tubbs filled him in, going over the entire meeting and their suspicion Moncado might have bugged the table. “Sonny played Burnett to perfection, lieutenant,” he finished. “I think we've got him where we want him. He's paging with details about the deal tomorrow night.”

“You'll have the money. Same as last time.” Castillo pinched his fingers against the bridge of his nose. He needed to get out of the office and into the clean night air.

“Someone must want these guys bad to keep forking up that kind of money.”

“They do. I don't expect Dave and Randy to report in until tomorrow morning, so we'll meet then. You two go home. Get some sleep. And I heard from Trudy. Stan and Lester are both upgraded to stable condition. Trudy said Gina finally went home to get some real sleep. I had a word with her new unit commander. She'll have all the time she needs to get Stan back on his feet.” Actually it had been more than a word, until Castillo let the woman know just how far his reach extended and how far she'd fall if she continued to block the request. He hoped it didn't have any long-term consequences for Gina, but right now she needed to be with Stan. And he needed her.

“That's good news.” Sonny smiled, his hair slipping down across his forehead. “That's damned good news. It sure could have been a hell of a lot worse.”

“Moncado never mentioned the attack?”

“Not once. We didn't bring it up, and maybe he was waiting to see if we would. Sort of a test.” Rico shrugged. “Like Sonny said, I'd hate to play poker with that man.”

“His kind doesn't show emotion. They read it on others.” Castillo didn't want to think about how close that came to describing him. At least before Trudy came into his life. “It's what makes him good at what he does, and what makes him so valuable to Maynard. Holmes, the arms dealer, isn't like that. It's only what he can procure that gives him value to Maynard.”

“And that's one tap source that's still open, lieutenant. Moncado didn't touch any of the bugs we have on Holmes' operation.” Sonny smiled. “Granted he don't talk much, but that's there if we need it.”

“Good. Any surge in purchases will show, and Trudy can use that to project activity.” Castillo got up. “Now let's all get out of here and get some sleep.”

Castillo found her out on the deck, the blue silk robe hanging loose from her shoulders and shifting in the onshore breeze. She seemed to sense his arrival and spoke before he was halfway across the deck. “I love it out here, Marty. You've got me hooked.”

He'd left his jacket and shirt inside, and felt her warm body against his chest when he hugged her. “Sorry I'm so late. I wanted to hear what Crockett and Tubbs had to say.”

“Anything good?”

He told her some of it. “But let's not waste this time on business. I like having the deck and the ocean as a sort of sanctuary. Where I can...” He paused, searing for words. “Where I can hear Jess again and listen to the night.” He also realized he hadn't had the dream with the knife since Trudy moved in.

“Jess?” She turned partway to face him, and he realized what he'd said.

“Jess was a member of my team in Laos. A good man. A surfer.” Castillo told her the whole story, the first time he'd told anyone other than himself. “When I hear the waves I think of him,” he said, finishing in a voice so soft it was almost lost in the breeze. “Ti Ti, Gus, all of them.”

“I'm sorry. I forgot how many memories you must carry around.” She shifted her weight back onto his chest. “Losing my sister was hard enough. I can't imagine...”

“We all have our pain. Our losses. Mine aren't greater than yours. Just different.” He kissed the top of her head. “They all weigh the same on us. It's how we deal with them that sets us apart.”

“But now we don't have to deal alone.”

“True.” It was a new feeling for him, one he sometimes struggled with. But the disappearance of the dream. That must mean something. He also was finding new memories in the sounds around him. Now the breeze conjured her scent in his nose instead of the Laotian highlands. Her voice and her sounds as they made love were sharing space with Jess when he heard the waves on the beach. The old memories, he knew, would never really fade. But how they were sharing space in his heart with his newfound ones fascinated him.

“So where do we go now?” She turned to face him. “Stan getting hurt scared me, Marty.”

“We go as far as we want, and for as long as we want.” He kissed her, feeling her strong arms wrap around his neck. “I asked you to move in because I want to share my life with you. And I hope you'll let me share yours. If that's ever too much for you, you can leave. I don't want to...”

“I can't see myself ever leaving, Marty.”

“I'm glad.” There was nothing else he could say. Or wanted to say. He just wanted to be here on the deck with her, listening to the unseen surf, as long as he could. There would be a time when work wouldn't be there anymore, but then they'd have each other. It was a comforting thought. Something to replace the duty that had always driven him and, he suspected, driven her as well.

• Like 2