Echoes - Part IX

Robbie C.

In which some of the Echoes from the past are revealed and laid to rest...

Sonny shot awake with a start, wondering for a handful of heartbeats where he was. Then the kink in his neck hit with full force and he realized he'd fallen asleep on the couch in Castillo's office. Out in the conference room the lights were still on, waiting for him to come back and stare at the map some more. “So much for just sitting for a minute,” he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck and reaching for his cigarettes. “Guess I'd better shut this shit down and get out of here.”

Trailing smoke behind him, he walked out and stared at the map. He was starting to reach for the light switches when he stopped. Maybe jamming his neck up had shaken something loose in his brain, but he thought he was starting to see a pattern. Some kind of method in the dots marking known dealers or spots where Red Cross had shown up on the edges of the Dominican neighborhoods.

“Tio was the wild card.” He took a deep drag on the Lucky Strike and held the smoke in his lungs. “Damn it! He was the one pushing things.” Grabbing Trudy's map key, he started circling dealers who were known to work only for the 8-Ball Kings or Double Treys. The rest were smoke, hiding the real action behind their fog. There'd always be some who sold outside their territory, or who tried to make a little extra by pushing the envelope. But the dead bodies Vallencio had tracked told him Doc had his limits, and if you exceeded them he reined you in. Permanently. It was a damned good way to send a message of moderation.

He was done with the cigarette before he was done circling dots, but he didn't want to stop to light another one. It was starting to make sense, like it had when he was staring at the pictures of houses back when the squad was chasing a nutjob burglar. The circles started to form a line, coming straight out of the heart of Double Treys territory and fanning out over the neighborhood. But there was no way the Double Treys controlled the trade. It spread too wide, too fast for that. And Sonny didn't think they'd stop it as precisely as Doc had. No, someone knew just how much he could move without drawing attention, and spread it out enough to make his trail hard to follow. “John was right,” he muttered, putting down his pencil and digging in his blazer pocket for the pack of Luckies. “This guy does act like a cop. Or he knows how we think and is taking countermeasures. But now I've got your zone, pal.”

Looking at the pattern of attacks, he could tell the Columbians didn't. They were hitting the Kings hard, although the Blancos split their attention between the two. So far the Columbians were winning. They had more firepower and each attack shut down part of the Dominicans' trade. Looking at the map, Sonny could almost feel Doc out there, watching and waiting like some kind of damned spider in his web. He knew the man would strike back. It was only a question of how and when.

Sonny shook his head. “You won't go straight at 'em, Doc. You're too smart for that. Too careful. But you could use the Dominicans as tools, especially the Double Treys. You got some kind of understanding with them, some kinda tie. But what?”

“That map ain't gonna talk back, partner.”

Sonny almost jumped. “Damn it, Rico! Knock next time.”

“I couldn't sleep, either.” Rico looked...rumpled. His normally creased shirt was wrinkled and his tie hung loose down his chest. “Too much spinnin' in my head. Didn't feel like club company, so I headed here.”

“I fell asleep on Castillo's couch.” Sonny chuckled. “Damn thing messed up my neck, but I think it cleared my head.” He told Rico what he'd seen.

Rico nodded, his eyes showing he wasn't quite convinced yet. “Makes sense as far as it goes. But why does this Doc hold back? If he was a cop...”

“He'd know just what he can get away with. Maybe he's not your normal greedy dealer. Maybe he just likes being...I don't know...comfortable. He'd make decent money off that Red Cross, more than enough to be comfortable in this town, and if that's all he wants, he stays under the radar. And if he's got an exclusive supplier, he can bring in just enough to do that. Or maybe it's the supplier who wants to stay low. Doc obliges because...why not? He's making good money and his product's unique in Miami. Always in demand.”

“It makes a kind of sense, I guess.” Sonny could see Rico wasn't totally convinced yet. “I just never ran into a dealer like that before.”

“There's always a first time. Maybe he's like one of those old pot heads who only sells his secret bud to his friends or something.”

“Maybe.” Rico smiled. “Maybe. Ok, you got me. But we still gotta find the chump.”

“Yeah, or he'll show himself to us. Right now the Columbians are mostly hurting the Kings, although they've hit a couple of Treys dealers. It looks like Doc deals more through the Treys if you line up the dealers, so he'll have to hit back somehow if they lose much more. I don't think he'll do it himself, but he might have connections that could help the Dominicans.”

“So we just wait? That's gonna go over well with Randy and Dave.”

“Not much longer, though. I got a feeling, Tubbs. This one's about to break open.” He looked at the map and shook his head. “I just wish I knew how.”

“What say we call it a night?” Tubbs looked at his watch. “Hell, I mean an early morning.”

“Sounds like a plan. I need to go check in at that hotel Mindy set Burnett up in, anyhow. Now's as good a time as any. Need to swing by the boat and grab fresh clothes, though.”

Rico picked up on his reluctance. “Avoiding Jenny?”

“I wish I knew, Rico. I ran her again, and that boat that could be hers showed up again on the Customs watch list. But her sheet's still clean.”

“Yeah. I've got a perfectly good number from a really pretty waitress sitting on the hotel night stand, but I won't call her.” Rico smiled. “You know why?”

“Because you don't want her falling for Teddy Prentiss. I've been there, partner. Too many times. But with Jenny we might be playing each other.”

Rico nodded, and then glanced toward the office. “Has there been any word...?”

“No, and you know I'd tell you as soon as I hear anything. Good or bad. That's a promise, Rico.”

It was a little past noon the next day when Sonny Crockett rolled into the front office. “Sorry I'm late, Mindy. Had a late night with that damned map and then decided to start the hotel thing going.”

“Tubbs just got here, and Stan and Lester headed back out to work on taps. He said they've only got a couple more and they're good to go.” She smiled. “Rico already told me about the map. I saw your circles when I came, and I think you're onto something. I went ahead and added another tap in the Treys zone. I hope...”

“Good thinking, Mindy. My brain was too cooked last night to think of that.” He looked toward the closed door. “How did Dave and Randy do last night?”

“Another shooting, but this time it was Treys who took out a gunman they think was a Blanco. But I think they want to tell you about it. Randy does, at least. He's waiting in the conference room.” She lowered her voice. “Castillo's in the office, and Trudy looks upset.”

“Shit.” The single word bit hard as it came out of Crockett's mouth. “I'll check with Randy and then see what's up.”

Randy looked up when Sonny walked in. “Good to see you finally got some sleep, boss. You're gonna need it.”

Sonny ignored the closed door to Castillo's office. “What's up? Mindy said something happened last night.”

“Yeah. One of the punks from the Blancos tried to hit a dealer here” - Randy pointed to the map - “but got whacked by two gunmen from the Treys. That ain't unusual in itself, but here's the kicker. They used MAC-10s.”

“I didn't think they had that kind of firepower.”

“They didn't. Until last night.” Randy tapped a finger on the table. “Those were the only ones we saw, and we were in position for almost eight hours, so either they don't have many. Or...”

“It was a test. And they're gonna buy more. But from who?”

“That's above my pay grade. But I'd say it was a test based on how they were jumpin' around after they whacked the shooter.”

“I gotta see if Stan picked up anything on those taps we had on Holmes.”

“I asked before they headed out. They got nothing. But they've never heard Holmes talk business on those lines.” Randy shrugged. “He also ain't the only arms dealer in town.”

“Yeah. I just wanted to check the rat we know before looking for new ones.” Sonny was about to go on when the door opened and Dave walked in.

“What's so all-fired important? I was damned near asleep when I got your page.”

“I didn't page you.” Sonny looked over at Randy.

“Don't look at me, boss. I don't fuck with a man's sleep.”

“I paged you.” Castillo's whisper cut through the banter like a chainsaw through a spiderweb. “Sonny, get Rico. Dave, you come with them. I want all three of you in here in five minutes. We're about to have company.”

Martin Castillo was a master of silence. He wove it like a web, either comforting or crushing depending on the need and his mood. Right now he was leaning toward comforting, but that could change in a heartbeat. He sat behind the desk, his three men spread out in chairs or on the couch. He could see Sonny whispering to Trudy but wasn't worried. She was better after their walk last night, though the phone call started her worrying again. Even though Mindy had patched it through, he made a note to change his home number as soon as they were done today.

The intercom buzzed. “Lieutenant.” Mindy's bright voice sounded tinny through the cheap speaker. “He's here.”

“Send him in.” Castillo waited until the youngish man with brown hair and hazel eyes came in. He was wearing the plain suit that screamed 'official' even though it pretended not to, and Castillo could see a bulge under his left armpit. He had a thick folder under his arm, with a loose reel of tape on top of it.

On the couch, Dave did a double-take. “Steve? Is that you?”

The man from the CIA blinked, but otherwise did a good job of hiding his recognition. Castillo was impressed. “Uncle Dave? Yes, it's me. I finally got a job.”

“But the CIA, son? Dear God.”

Steve Blair let his face show a thin smile. “I'm starting to find that out.” Castillo noticed the distance in the hazel eyes, a look that came from seeing too much too soon or too young. But he could also sense a strength there, something that went beyond age and came from deep inside. “And since they only send agents just off the Farm or those who aren't in favor as errand boys, that should tell you where I sit right now.”

“What did Jacobs say?” Castillo used his voice to effect, drawing the room to him as if he'd set off a grenade instead of a whisper.

“He said this pays for Moncado.” Blair set the file on the desk. “But I think you'll want to listen to this first.”

“Explain.” Castillo looked at the tape. So Jacobs wanted to hold out on me. I won't forget it.

“I was on the range at Quantico after my last field assignment. Istanbul is a dump, just so you know. Anyhow, there were these guys shooting next to me. Older guys, but really tearing the place up. We got to talking, and it turns out they were from Delta Force. They were doing some kind of joint thing with the Feebs. But the next day, after Jacobs gave me the file, one of the older ones catches me in the parking lot. Away from the cameras. He said his old code name was Moneybags and that Castillo would remember him. I was to give you the tape and this note.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a page torn from a field notebook.

Castillo read it aloud. “Marty. You remember RT Python out of CCN? We never forgot you on that trail in Laos. The Company won't want you to hear this, but I owe you. My boys were watching that house and we had bugs in place. We had orders not to move, no matter what happened. The guy had Nungs. And they followed their orders to the letter. Take care. Moneybags.”

Sonny shook his head. “CCN? Isn't that SOG?”

“Yes.” Castillo remembered that trail all too well, and the RT that had been surrounded by almost a company of NVA before Castillo hit them from the rear with his Hmong tribesmen. They'd just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and it had kept the RT from being overrun. It also may have had something to do with his transfer south to Saigon, but he felt it was worth any price to save an RT.

Rico got to his feet. “Is that the file?”

“Yes. But if Moneybags says we should listen to the tape first, it's what we'll do.” He looked at Rico, his eyes intense and hot. “Are you ready for this, Rico? Good or bad?”

Tubbs swallowed, a wave of emotions spilling over his face. “Yes, lieutenant.”

Reaching into the wide file drawer of the desk, Castillo pulled out a reel-to-reel machine and threaded the tape. Before he hit play he looked at Blair. “Do you want to stay for this?”

“Yes.” There was no hesitation. “I want to see what these people can do”

The tape started with a jumble of voices and what sounded like a child crying in the background. Rico flinched, but Castillo quieted him with a look. He kept his eyes focused on the revolving plastic reels. “They're fighting.” He translated the Spanish smoothly, condensing if it wasn't important. “They don't like being in the mountains, away from culture and the city. One of them, I think it's Orlando's sister, blames the child. Why won't the damn cop's bastard child shut up? One of the other women tries to calm her, but she won't listen. She keeps yelling. It's that damn brat's fault we're in this mess. I'll...” A pistol boomed loud and Rico came off the couch. He was about to shout when the recording continued. This time it was a man's voice. Nasal and clipped. Needing no translation.

“Look what you've done, you stupid bitch. You just killed your family's only way out of this. A cop's son was your meal ticket. But you inbred mountain hags are too stupid to see the opportunity you'd been given.” There was a pause, then three worlds in Vietnamese. Castillo translated. “Kill them all.” The tape ended with a roar of automatic weapons, almost drowned out by Ricardo Tubbs sobbing on the couch.

Blair's face showed his struggle to reconcile what he'd heard with Rico's reaction. “Was that...”

“That was them killing his son. And then William Maynard having the entire Calderone family put down. That's what Moneybags meant when he said Nungs. Mercenaries of Chinese extraction. Ferocious fighters. And they follow their orders to the letter. Just like he said.” Castillo shut off the machine. “The Calderone family no longer exists. They would have seen to that.” He didn't look at the couch, where Sonny and Trudy were doing their best to comfort Rico. At least Sonny knows what it's like to lose a child. I'd not wish that knowledge on any man, but it will help him reach Rico. And Rico will need him right now. I have to come back.

“So you're saying the CIA knew all along where his son was?”

“Yes.”

The look that passed over Blair's face was familiar. It was the same one Martin Castillo had felt on his own face when he realized his team had been set up. That Jack Gretzky and he were both marked for death in those mountains by their own comrades, men who'd put power and wealth above duty and honor. It was the face of a man who was about to walk away. And then Martin remembered a talk he'd recently had with another covert warrior. Another Marine as it happened.

“I can't stay there.”

“Do it for now. Go along. Play their game.” Castillo slid a card across the table. “Give me a secure number where you can be reached that they don't monitor. Someone will be in touch.” Standing, he walked around the desk and over to the couch.

Rico looked up, his face twisted with grief and shattered dreams. “That was Maynard, wasn't it?”

“Yes. And they killed all of them. It may not be worth much, but there is no longer a Calderone family. The Nungs saw to that. And he had them killed because they killed your son.” He reached down and touched Rico's shoulder. “Now you know. For good or bad.” Looking up, he made eye contact with everyone except Sonny. “We'll give them the room.”

Try as he might, Ricardo Tubbs couldn't forget the utter contempt and hate in the Calderone woman's voice right before she shot his son. The son he'd never see again, never get to hold. And never get to bury. And the thought he owed his vengeance to William Maynard, the man who'd nearly killed Castillo, was almost more than he could stand.

He felt the tears running down his cheeks and imagined he could hear his father's mocking laugh. Laugh it up, you old shit. I'm sure you bawled like a big fat baby when Rafael went down. He felt Sonny's arms around him and smiled through the tears. At least he knows what it's like...

“I got you, partner. I got you.” Sonny's voice was steady. “Just let it out, man. You don't want to hold that in. It'll tear you apart.”

“I...I guess I always knew he was dead. I never felt anything, you know? Any feeling he was alive out there somewhere.” He shook his head. “The worst part is knowing Maynard squared the account. Maynard of all people.”

“I saw Nungs a time or two when I was in Nam. They worked with Special Forces a lot. Spooks, too. They were seriously scary. No one messed with them. You can bet that whole damned family died hard. They'd go back through and shoot them in the head twice just to make sure. If he told them to kill them all, they killed them all. No question.”

“But he was just a baby...”

“Just like Caitlin was my wife. And Will hadn't even been born yet. Psychos like that don't think. They just want to hurt you any way they can. All that bitch saw when she looked at Rico Junior was something that meant the end of her way of life. All the luxury. But Maynard made sure that choice ended hers and her whole damned family with her.”

“But why was he there?” Rico sniffed, feeling the tears drying on his cheeks. “What the hell was a spook doing there?”

“It might be in the files. Just look for a name with black marker though it and you can bet it's Maynard's.” Sonny snorted. “Who the hell knows what the Company was doing buddied up with the Calderones? Maybe they said they were anti-Communist or something. We can look through it together and see, but later, pal. Later. Right now you just need to take it all in.” Sonny smiled, but it didn't touch his eyes. “Maybe sometimes it is better not knowing.”

“No. Marty was right, like he always is. It's better that I know. That I know my heart was right and that my head was making up all these damned cute dreams. I can at least bury him in my heart. Those sons of bitches can't take that away from me.” He chuckled, but it was a sick sound. “And Maynard might have redeemed some small part of himself up in those mountains. He didn't do it for the right reasons, but still...”

“Ironic, ain't it? He'd be pissed as hell if he knew we found out.” Sonny grinned, and Rico could see it was real this time. “You gonna be ok, partner?”

“Eventually. Yeah, I will be eventually. Just not today.” He pointed to the folder on the desk. “You mind if we look through that? I want to see if there's any pictures...”

“Sure, Rico. We can do that. Let me let the lieutenant know we'll be busy for a bit.”

“We can go to our office. I feel bad hogging his couch.” Rico sniffed again, nodding his thanks when Sonny handed him a tissue from the box on Castillo's desk. “Thanks, partner. It ain't gonna be easy, but I want to look through this now. While that tape's still in my mind.”

Castillo's face was the first thing he saw when they opened the door. “I want both of you to take a day, maybe two. I'll run things until you get back. You need to work through this, Rico. If Nicky pages, pass it off to Crockett. We can stall him or come up with another plan.””

Rico thought about protesting, his pride ruffled, until he thought back to the single pistol shot. “You're right, lieutenant. I do need to sort it out. Thanks.”

“Your partner will be there to help. This isn't something you should do alone.”

Nodding, not trusting his voice, Rico shook his hand. He slapped Dave on the shoulder and turned to the his nephew. “Thank you for bringing this. Especially that tape. I...I needed to know.” Then he turned. “It's good, Trudy. Sonny and I can work this through.”

In the end he only kept the tape with Maynard's speech and the roar of what Dave identified as CAR-15s. It took a few hours, but he and Sonny managed to put together a picture of what had happened. Calderone, it wasn't clear which one, had been brokering drugs for weapons as part of some shady CIA scheme, and Maynard had been sent to sort things out in the aftermath of the St. Gerard firefight. Maynard wasn't their usual CIA contact, but no one seemed to notice in the confusion of moving from the city to the mountain villa.

Sonny snorted, lighting his third cigarette. “Damned Company always trying to outsmart itself. I wonder how much money Calderone made selling them their own M-16s?”

“Or how many good people and cops died because of the coke they helped him move?” Rico threw the file down in disgust. “Cops like my brother.”

“And Eddie Rivera. Too many.”

“Still...I'll always wonder. What would it have been like to have a son? To hold him in my arms? Watch him grow up.”

“You still can, partner.” Sonny laughed, but Rico could see the pain in his eyes. “I missed that with both my sons. Billy because...well...just because. And Hackman made sure I had no chance with Will. But there's still time. You meet the right lady there's all the time in the world.”

“Yeah.” But Rico wasn't sure. Not down where it mattered. Maybe Sonny could keep going. Hell, he seemed determined to find someone new, even if he didn't realize it. But Rico wasn't wired that way. Watching his parents' marriage fall apart in slow motion had done something to him, and then the whole prolonged mess with Valerie. He'd been so sure she was the one, finding excuse after excuse to take her back and justify everything she did, even when he couldn't explain it to himself. And his fleeting moment with Angelina, more a dream than anything real. The one real thing it produced dead over five years now.

Still, he knew there was truth in what Sonny said. But it would take time to get there. Looking down at the scattered papers he sighed. “Let's get out of here, partner. I'm thinking drinks and carry-out in Casa Cooper.”

“Your call, partner. It's your time now.”

Once the two men had moved to the office Tubbs and Crockett shared, Martin Castillo walked to the conference table. “Dave, if you'd like some time with your nephew the afternoon's yours. I just want to get up to speed. I'm sure Crockett has all of you working on some aspect of the case. Let me know if you need any resources. Otherwise I won't change his assignments.”

They all drifted away from the table as soon as it was decent to do so. Except Trudy. She stayed close, and he could feel her watching him. Finally he spoke. “Rico will be fine. In time. We just need to give him that time.”

“I know. I was watching you. You knew what had happened, didn't you?”

“No. But I could guess. I know how the Company likes to tie up loose ends.”

“Who was Moneybags?”

He told her about the trail in Laos. “Those teams were out on the very edge of radio range. Support could be minutes or even hours away. Jess, Ti Ti and I happened to be in the area with a strike force of Hmong, the Laotian tribesmen. The team needed our help, so we went. I ran into him later in Da Nang when I was processing out, moving south to the Delta. That was how the Company 'thanked' me for saving the team. He was on his last extension, I think.” He shook his head. “Quite a few of those SOG men ended up in Delta. It's a small world when you're in that dark corner of it.”

“Are you ok?”

He stood for a time. Thinking. “Yes. Death is something Rico understands. This may sound cruel, but I'd worry more if the boy was still alive.”

“So would I.” She moved closer to him, wanting to touch him but unsure.

He put his arm around her. “They all know, Trudy. It just insults them to pretend otherwise now.”

“What do you think of what Sonny found?”

“I think he's right. We missed it through all the smoke Tio put up when he tried to expand the business. I think if we hadn't have killed him this Doc would have. It fits the pattern. Go too far away from home, get too greedy, and he has you terminated.”

“And now the Dominicans have MAC-10s. At least two of them.”

“Likely there will be more. I'd say it's Doc's way of leveling the playing field. Have you reached out to ATF?”

“They say they're looking into it. I think they were more surprised than we were to see them, honestly.” She smiled. “They're still adjusting to the fact that the Columbians have Tech 9s that can fire full-auto.”

“We need to move faster.” Castillo stared at the map. “Find a way inside and push. But the only way in...”

“Needs Tubbs. That moron Nicky.”

“I'll try to give him as much time as he needs. But if Nicky pages we may have to bring him in.”

“He'll come in, Marty. We're all he has left now.”

Castillo just nodded. He knew Trudy's words were true. At one time he'd been the same way. Then he thought of the man chosen to be the errand boy. “What did you think of Dave's nephew?”

“He's deep.” Trudy closed her eyes, and Castillo knew she was thinking. Tapping into that inner part that made her a great detective. “Driven. You look at his eyes and you know he's seen maybe too much, too fast. But there's something else going on, too. He's an idealist.” She opened her eyes and smiled. “He reminds me of you in that way.”

“I know. And maybe I can give him a way out.” Castillo reached in his trousers pocket, feeling the card Blair had written on. “Maybe this will give him a way to become what he wants to be.”

“Task Force?”

“No. Something like it but different. I didn't ask.” And Marty knew his old friend wouldn't have told him in any case. It was the way of that world. He also didn't want to tell Trudy he'd been offered a position but turned it down. Mostly for her, but also because he wanted to make his difference locally. His friend had laughed, calling him a dreamer, but respected the position. Still, he'd asked Marty to keep his eyes open and send the right people his way. Today he guessed he'd met one of those right people.

Mindy came through the outer door. “Lieutenant, Dave and his nephew just left. He wanted me to tell you he'll be back when he can.” She looked nervous, wringing her hands and avoiding his gaze.

“It's ok, Mindy. This has been a rough day for everyone. I think Trudy and I can manage if you want to take an early day. Tubbs and Crockett are going through a file and they'll leave when they're done, I think.”

She nodded. “I think I'll do that. And lieutenant, tell Detective Tubbs I'm sorry.”

He nodded, and in seconds she was gone.

Trudy laughed. “She's a tough one.”

“I'd expect nothing less from South Boston Irish.” Castillo allowed himself a thin smile. “But she's also smart. She'll go far, provided she stays with us and the task force keeps winning. As soon as we lose, someone will try to close us down. Bureaucrats hate nothing more than unconventional success.”

Trudy looked at the closed office door. “Should we wait for them?”

“No. They'll go when Tubbs is ready.” Castillo looked at her and smiled. A real smile, for the first time in hours. “Right now I'd really like to hear you play piano. If you're up for it, of course.”

She smiled back, and he could see tears forming in her eyes. Small diamonds in the deep brown pools he loved. “I'd love to. Then we can walk on the beach again. But you have to teach me some Vietnamese. Mi amor just doesn't have the same feel.”

“It does when you say it.” He took her in his arms, just holding her. Feeling her against him.

Earl Lester Holmes didn't know what the hell Red did to his burgers down at Red's Diner, but they were good enough to lure him out of his bar in the heat of the day. Taking a bite of the thick cheeseburger he grinned and looked at Benny. “So they bought 'em?”

“Just like you figured, boss. That Treys bunch coughed up a grand each for the two MAC-10s, an' after what I heard on the scanner last night I think they'll be back for more.”

“Good. Start 'em off with a bang and get the attention of those Federals that are creepin' around.” He reached down and stuffed four thick-cut fries in his mouth. “What about that other bunch?”

“The Kings?” Benny snorted, munching on his own burger.

They sat toward the back, away from tables full of truckers and loitering truck stop hookers. Holmes knew Red had bills to pay, but some of them girls stank to high heaven. Stale grease or stale skank. If the burgers weren't so damned good I'd never set foot in here. The smells reminded him of Saigon, and that wasn't always good, either. “Yeah, the Kings or whatever they call their fool selves.”

“They're wantin' the Tech 9s like you thought, boss, but seems they're havin' to scratch to make the price. Their honcho said he'd call me back once he worked a couple deals out.”

“Shit. I don't want to lower the price none, but if this is gonna work they need those damned guns.” He thought for a time, chewing more burger and looking with disgust at the tables near the door. “Look, Benny. Close the deal with the Treys. They bring the cash, they get the MAC-10s. If you don't hear from the Kings in a couple of days, drop the price when they do call. Not much, mind. Maybe a hundred per gun. I ain't gonna make it easy for 'em.”

“You sure this'll work, boss?”

“You questionin' me, Benny?”

“No, boss. Not at all. I just...” He dropped his burger on his plate. “It's too damned deep for me boss, that's what it is. I know you know best. Hell, you always do.”

Holmes chuckled. Benny was an outstanding errand boy. One of the best. And dogged as a bloodhound on a scent when you sent him to work a deal. But thinking wasn't his strong suit. “It's like this, Benny. If all those spics start shootin' automatic weapons all over hell and gone there's gonna be pressure to shut 'em down and fast. That means all kinds of cops. Including their best. And I figure they'd only send their best after the colonel. No one local's been able to make a dent in this war yet, so if things start happening that means our boys are on the job. And that's when we draw 'em out.”

“How we gonna do that?”

Holmes wasn't quite sure yet, but he had a few ideas. “You'll know when it's time, Benny.”

“Right, boss.” Benny turned back to his burger, his mind seemingly at ease. “I'll close them deals just like you said. No problem.”

Holmes just nodded, looking forward to a chance to finish his burger and fries without any more interruptions. Selling to the Dominicans paid a few bills, though he still wondered about Doc's involvement in it. But not too much. They moved in different worlds, always had. But the deal was going to help him in more ways that it could help Doc. He was sure of that much.

• Like 1