Echoes - Part X

Robbie C.

It was dark by the time Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs rode the elevator up to Casa Cooper. The ride over had been quiet, each man dealing with his own grief in his own way. A quick stop through a drive-through for burgers and then they were done.

Sonny set the bag on the kitchen island. “You got any beer in this place?”

“My booze not good enough for you?” There was an edge to Rico's voice that made Sonny wary.

“Sure. I just felt like a beer with the burger is all.”

Rico nodded. “I'm sorry, Sonny.”

“Don't worry about it, partner. You're entitled tonight. Been a hell of a day.”

“I can't stop hearing that pistol shot. No matter how hard I try.”

Opening the refrigerator, Sonny pulled out two bottles of Coors and opened them. “Have one of these and don't try.”

“How did you do it?”

“Do what?” He knew the tone in Rico's voice and got cautious. Dangerous ground you're heading toward, partner.

“Move on past that stuff? Caitlin and all that?”

“How did you get past your brother being murdered? I ain't saying that to be mean, partner, but it's the same question.” Sonny took a pull of his beer, feeling the cold liquid cool his throat. “You either deal or you don't, I guess. And we deal, but we both lost it in the aftermath.”

“I guess you're right.” Rico nodded, downing half his beer in one long swallow. “Hell, I went totally off the rails and came down here posing as him. Broke just about every rule in the NYPD handbook.”

“And I blew Hackman's head off on some piss-ant Caribbean island. Broke damned near all my own rules. Then I went and got my head scrambled and blew a couple of cartels to pieces.” Sonny looked out the window, not seeing the skyline. “I guess you could say that when we go off the rails we don't mess around.”

“You know what the strange thing is, Sonny? It doesn't hurt as much as I think it should. This isn't anything like Rafael.”

“It's because you didn't know him. You had an idea of him, but you didn't really know him. Kinda like me and Will. It's the idea that hurts. I don't miss him as much as I miss the idea of raising him. Doing all those things I should have done with Billy. Maybe that's kinda like you and Rico, Jr.”

“Yeah. I was already making a list of things my dad did that I swore I'd never do.” Rico finished his beer and came around the island to grab another. “It's like his mother, too. I miss the idea of her, but I never really knew her. It's like a dream most of the time.”

Sonny nodded. He didn't say it, but a part of him envied Rico. It was easier to lose a dream than it was to lose the real thing. Some nights he still shot awake, hearing the sickening smack the bullet made as it tore into Caitlin on that damned stage. Still, dream or not, that kind of loss hurt.

They ate on the rooftop patio, drinking and talking as the streets turned neon and gold. After his fourth beer, Rico looked around and sighed. “I don't think I'm gonna need much time away, Sonny. It's better if I'm busy.”

“So long as you're focused, partner. That's what matters, more now than ever.”

“Yeah. I got you to watch for that.” Rico chuckled. “Hey, you wonder what Dave and his nephew are doing?”

“Probably what we are. Drinking and talking.” Sonny took another drink, feeling the condensation from the bottle dripping over his hand. “Did you see that kid's eyes? He's one cool customer. Seen too damned much.”

“Yeah.” Rico smiled. “I wonder what he saw when he looked at us?”

“Two well-dressed cops who've seen too damned much and aren't smart enough to find anything else to do.” Sonny raised his bottle. “To the Job. Bitch that she it.”

“To the Job.” Tubbs drank deep, his Adam's apple bobbing with each swallow. “And she is a bitch.”

It was almost noon the next day when Sonny looked at his watch. “You want to come out to the boat? I gotta check on Elvis and maybe we can take the Scarab or Little Lou out on the water. Change of scene.”

Rico looked up from the couch, his bloodshot eyes mute testament to his hangover. “Why not? Might as well take Little Lou before whatever agency Marty borrowed it from wants it back.”

Sonny almost sighed in relief when they pulled up and he saw Vellamo's spot empty. The marina master met him at the head of the dock. “You'd better get some more damned fish for that gator of yours, Sonny.”

He nodded to the cooler. “Got 'em right here. And we're gonna go out and try to catch some more. He actin' up again?”

“Naw. That blonde number's been feedin' him, I think. You two a thing now?”

“That's a damned good question.”

“One o' them, is it? She said to tell you she'll be back in a couplea days.”

Nodding his thanks, Sonny lugged the cooler down to the St. Vitus Dance. Tubbs followed along, his mood lightening as they went. “That dude always like that?”

“Yeah. He likes playing the old salt even though I think he's from Michigan or someplace like that.”

“I always wondered, Sonny. Why don't you just buy that boat outright?”

Sonny tossed the tuna to a snapping Elvis before answering. “I don't know, Rico. I really don't. I sure as hell could. Catilin's estate was big enough I need a damned accountant to track it, and royalties keep coming in. I guess I just don't think about it.”

“Sorry. I shouldn't have asked.”

“It's all good, Rico. Hell, I rent the house to that big bodyguard chick of hers for a dollar a year.” He shook his head. “I could never go back there.”

“I get it, partner.” He looked over at Elvis. “Is it safe now?”

“Yeah. There's beer and food on Little Lou. I kept it stocked just in case we had to go play Rico and Sonny again.” He chuckled. “Let me throw some extra kibble out for him and then we'll go.” He ducked below to grab the food, and stopped when he saw a note on the saloon table and the light blinking on his answering machine. “Russian roulette with two rounds in the damned chamber,” he muttered. The note had to be from Jenny, so he stuffed it in his pocket unread. There were two phones on the boat, and the one that was blinking was a number very few people knew. Snatching up the receiver, he keyed in the code and listened to the message. When he came back on deck his face was pale.

Rico noticed right away. “What's up, Sonny? Castillo call?”

“I wish.” Sonny didn't know what to say. Feelings started balling up in his stomach, threatening to explode in a million different directions. It was like someone had turned on an endless reel in his mind, playing every good and bad moment back through over and over. “That was Angie. Caitlin's old assistant.”

“Yeah, I remember her. The scary sister with the fashion sense of Izzy?”

“Yeah, and she'd beat your ass if she heard you say that.” Sonny tried to chuckle, but it died in his throat. “She wants to talk about starting some kind of home there. A group thing for at-risk teens.”

“I thought you were over that house.”

“So did I, man. Until I heard her say that on the tape. Then all those memories starting flooding back.”

“Man, we are two fucked-up individuals, aren't we?”

“Yeah, and we don't need water.” Sonny turned away from the boat. “We need Sanctuary.”

“Now you're talkin'. A little bull session with Robbie and good drinks.”

It was cool and dark in the club, the music low until people started flooding in later. Robbie came up as soon as the bartender hung up the house phone, his narrow face showing concern. “You two look like shit. Let's take this to the office.”

He broke out the good bourbon and listened as Rico and then Sonny told their tales. “You two know how to have a shitty couple of days,” he said when they finished. “Now maybe you'll think again about calling Debbie, Rico. She really did like you. Keeps bugging me about when I'm going to see you again.”

Rico forced a chuckle. “I still gotta think about this whole settling down thing, Robbie. That's why I don't call her. I don't want to string her along.”

“Good man.” He turned. “And you, Sonny. What the hell? I never knew you had a pad like that.”

“It was hers, really. Then it was ours.” He shook his head, looking down at the golden liquid in his glass. “I never went back there after funeral. Never thought I'd want to see it again. Then she mentions this and it's all I can think of.”

“What would Caitlin have wanted?”

“She'd be all for a home like that. She loved kids, and her own childhood wasn't something to write home about.”

“Then do it for her, Sonny.”

“You're right, Robbie. It's what she'd want. Hell, she probably would want to run it herself if she...”

“And you'd be right by her side because that's how you are. It's how you've always been, Sonny. When you weren't being a selfish asshole, at least.” Robbie laughed and poured them more drinks. “You'll do what's right because you can't do anything else.”

They talked more, laughing and sipping their drinks, and Sonny felt all his tension slipping away. Looking over, he could see Rico relaxing, opening up, letting his anger sink back into its hole. He knew the feeling because it was happening to him, too. Castillo had been right. Again. They needed the time away, even it was just a day.

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a battered notebook and flipped through the pages. “Can I use your phone, Robbie? I gotta make a call.”

She answered on the third ring. “Hello?”

“Angie? It's Sonny. Have the lawyer send the papers to the boat and I'll sign. Three things, though, and they aren't negotiable. It has to have proper, credentialed staff. It has to be a non-profit, and it has to be called the Caitlin Davies Recovery Home. Give me any lip and I'll smack you through the phone.”

She laughed, and he could picture her leaning back in chair. “Mister Sonny's all tough when he's not close. But I'd argue with none of that. Girlfriend would want it that way.” Then her voice changed, losing its edge. “Thank you, Sonny. I've started volunteering, and some of those kids need better help than they're getting.”

“I'll put you in touch with someone. Detective Gina Calabrese. She works with the advocate's office. You met her at the wedding...and the funeral.”

“I remember. She'll help?”

“Yeah. And her new boyfriend is good with electronics.”

“You take care, Sonny. And come by often.”

“I will...now, Angie. You have my word.”

When he hung up the phone, Sonny felt like someone had just lifted a weight off his heart. And he could almost feel her lips on his neck and hear her whispering 'thank you' with that Scottish lilt. Reaching up he felt her ring on the necklace under his shirt and decided maybe he had. Then he realized the other two were staring at him. “Sorry about that. You got any more of that Maker's Mark around, Robbie? I need a drink.”

Martin Castillo looked at the map. “Two more were killed last night?”

“Yes, lieutenant.” Randy nodded. “Both with MAC-10s. And again only in Treys territory. The Kings lost another dealer to the Tech 9s.”

“Still just two MACs?”

“We think so. We only saw one of the hits, and the shooters didn't stick around.”

Castillo nodded, turning to Stan and Lester. Asking for their report with his eyes.

“We're picking up lots of chatter from both gangs, lieutenant. The Kings seem to be tryin' to raise cash in a hurry, and we think we picked Nicky out of some of the noise. At least his name's come up. The Treys are quieter, but they are making noise about some deal out of town.”

Lester nodded. “I think it's more guns, lieutenant. So far the Treys don't talk dope on the phone. I think they might be worried about Blanco taps or something. They use a lot of code. The Kings don't.”

“Any word from Tubbs and Crockett?”

Trudy shook her head. “No, but they'd check in if anything happened. I can page them.”

“No. I told Rico he could have a day.” He turned to Dave. “How's your nephew?”

“He's doing ok, lieutenant. Thanks for time with him. We hadn't spoken in years.” Dave shrugged. “I think he blamed me for not being around after his parents were killed. But we're good now.”

“Good.” Castillo turned back to the map. “Crockett was right. Doc is somewhere in deep in Treys turf. He's using both gangs as a screen, and now his screen's in danger. We need to watch closely for changes, especially in weapons and how the gangs operate. The MAC-10s are likely his doing. And he'll do more to secure his position.”

Mindy spoke up. “Sonny agreed with Vallencio's notes, lieutenant. He thinks this Doc was either a cop once or trained with one.”

“Crockett's got good instincts. And Lieutenant Vallencio's a good cop. I think they're right, which makes Doc more dangerous. He'll know what we'll do, so we have to be different. Come at him in ways he doesn't expect. And with Metro-Dade swarming all over this gang war we have to watch our step.”

“From what Randy and I see they ain't swarming too damned hard.”

“They're risk-averse. They're trying to keep it contained, though they'll never say that in the media.” Castillo's eyes were hard. “I know how they think. If they keep it in the barrio no one will notice. It's when it spreads out to the tourist beaches that they really crack down. But that doesn't mean there aren't detectives out there working cases. We just have to avoid them.”

“Are you worried about a leak?” Trudy's eyes went wide. “Another Gorman?”

“No. None of these gangs have the resources of Moncado. Or Maynard. But someone might talk to the press. Tip them off to our operation. So we stay on our own for now.” He looked around the table “Keep with the assignments Crockett gave you. I'm still on limited duty according to the doctors and Detective Joplin.”

Stan and Lester waited until the others had scattered to their offices or left for the street. Stan shifted from one foot to the other. “Lieutenant, Lester and I want to shift some of the surveillance from the Treys to the Kings.”

“Why?”

“The Kings are looser, and they're under pressure. I think Lester's right and they're trying to make a big arms buy. There have been a couple of calls to some white guy...all short, not more than ten seconds. We think that's a cue to change phones, but we don't have enough now to know where they're going. That and Nicky's connection runs mostly with the Kings. If his name's coming up, sooner or later Hernan's will, too. And we want to be ahead of the game.”

“Do it. I'm sure Crockett would say the same thing.”

Stan grinned. “Thanks, lieutenant. No disrespect, you know.”

“I know. He's in charge, but you have to ask me because he's not here. I'd expect the same thing if I was out and he was here.” Castillo held his stare but then relented. “I know you two had history, but that you've both moved past that. Do what you think is best with the surveillance plan.”

Trudy nodded, having heard the conversation from her office and come back out the big table. “It makes sense. The Treys have good communication discipline. Dave and Randy have seen them using hand-held radios, so we might have to expand the capability of the Roach Coach a bit.”

“Do it. We need to know what they're saying.”

She nodded but didn't move. “What do we do when this is over? You said it in there. The first time we fail someone will shut us down.”

“We move on. You and I.” He looked at the map to focus his thoughts. “I've been doing this a long time. Maybe too long. It's easier when you're alone.” He raised his hand. “But that's not good. When it's easy you don't stop. Now...”

“You'd walk away?”

“Could you go back to OCB after the freedom we've had here? The support?” He shook his head. “I couldn't, either. And now we're not going home alone.”

She reached out and touched his hand. “Do you think we can get Doc?”

“Yes. But it won't be easy. He's not as violent as Maynard and Moncado, but he's smarter. And he's shown he's very capable of violence when it's necessary. We'll get him. I just don't know how much time it will take. Or what resources.”

“One of the things Mindy learned when she went through Quantico was something called predictive analysis. We can try it and see what we come up with. Some possible moves he might take.”

Castillo smiled. “We used to call that thinking like the other guy. Leave it to the FBI to hang a fancy name on it. But yes, that's a good idea. Use the intel we have and see what you can match to what we know of Doc's habits.” He paused. “And assume he was a police officer or at least trained to be one.”

“We'll get right on it.” She looked at him with concern. “You're starting to look tired. Maybe we should head home.”

“Talk it over with Deputy O'Laughlin first. At least get her started.” He smiled, pushing the pain back down inside. “I'll be fine for another hour or so.”

They were most of the way through the bottle of Maker's Mark when Sonny remembered the note he'd stuffed in his pocket. Actually his hand had brushed against it when he was reaching for his lighter, but it was the same thing. Tubbs was explaining the finer points of armed robbery to Robbie, so he figured they wouldn't notice if he gave it a quick read. As he'd expected, it was from Jenny. Her ornate, spidery writing was unmistakable. “I missed you before I left. When I come back we need to talk. Please. I know we don't do that much, but it's important. At least to me. Maybe not to you. I don't know. Jenny.”

Robbie whistled. “What the hell, Sonny? That's a damned funny look.”

Tubbs looked over and laughed. Even through his confusion, Sonny was glad to hear his partner really laugh. He's turning a corner. “That's the Jenny look, Robbie.”

“Jenny? You keeping secrets from me again?”

“No. It's not that.” He struggled through the bourbon to put his thoughts in order. “She's this lady who just showed up at my boat one day with beer. Her boat's tied up just down the way. One thing led to another...and let me tell you she's got one hell of a body. But something's just not right.”

“You run her?”

“You and everyone else asked me that. Yeah. I had Stan run her. She comes up more or less clean. Some small stuff a few years back but nothing major. Her boat may or may not be clean, depending on if she's changing the name once she gets out of sight of land. One just like it is on the Customs watchlist for art smuggling.”

“Ok. You gave me the MP version. What's her real story?”

“That's it, man. I don't know. She breaks into the boat sometimes and waits for me wearing nothing but a smile. Other times she gets me on her boat and does the same damned thing. If she talks it's this weird almost poetry stuff. Makes no damned sense. But she's never asked what I do. Never even really asked about my last name.”

“You think she's playing you?”

“Hell, man. I don't know. That's what drives me nuts. I don't know what her damned game is. Maybe she's just some crazy leftover hippie who deciding bathing and shaving were both cool.”

“I kept tellin' him to roll with it, but now it's done rolled over him.” Tubbs laughed again, the bourbon showing in his wide smile.

Robbie laughed. “You don't know the half of it, Rico. Remember that stripper from Puller's Palace just outside the gate, Sonny? Oh, yeah. She was a dancer, right?”

“Damn it! I'd forgotten about her.”

“I'll bet you did.” Robbie laughed again. “You shoulda seen her, Rico. More tattoos than an old sailor and looks to match. But Sonny, he falls for her sad story right away. It took Staff Sergeant Coffman tellin' him she'd married just about every boot in the last recruit training company before he realized she was scammin' him.”

“What can I say? She had a good story.” Sonny smiled, his eyes glittering at a memory. “Did you ever tell Julia about that little bucktoothed mamasan you met in Da Nang? What was the name of that place? Number One Fun Town. That was it. Rico, you could smell the place from a klick away. Yet good ol' Robbie falls head over heels for this girl. He was all set to bring her back to the States until the South Vietnamese police picked her up as a VC agent.”

“It was a low point in my career.” Robbie chuckled. “But now that we've established we're both idiots when it comes to women, what are you gonna do about this lady?”

“I don't know, man. I gotta stay focused on this operation. I can't let her in just now.”

Rico shook his head. “She might not give you a choice. So far Jenny's been calling all the shots in this one.”

Robbie looked at the clock on his desk. “Shit, guys. I gotta run. Julia will kill me if I'm late for dinner, and Alan's got this school thing...”

“You're a good father, Robbie. Just like you said you would be.” Sonny stood up and hugged his friend. “And we'll head out, too. Leave you some booze for tomorrow.”

“I'll have one of my people drive you. Another one will follow in your car.” Robbie hugged them both. “It's hard to lose a dream, Rico. But you can make new ones. Never forget that. I almost did.”

His head pounded like a bass drum, and it felt like a nest of cottonmouths had crawled into his throat and died, but Sonny was at task force headquarters bright and early the next day. Swallowing aspirin with his coffee, he glared at Mindy. “Don't ask. How was last night?”

“Four dead and a customer, I mean bystander, wounded. MAC-10s again for two of them. The other two were Kings dealers and the 'bystander' was one of their customers.”

Sonny squinted, wishing the lights weren't so bright and that his head would stop pounding for at least ten seconds. “How's the chief deputy?”

“He's fine. None of this bothers him. The mayor and most of the Metro-Dade command structure are another matter, but we don't work for any of them.” She smiled, showing her pretty dimples. “I'd hate to be on that force right now.”

“Nothing will change until a tourist gets caught in the crossfire. And with those MACs it's gonna happen sooner rather than later. Dave and Randy get anything good?”

“They're done with the perimeter recon. They've gotten faces for the names we had for most of the dealers, both Kings and Treys. They've also identified a handful of the Columbians, mainly the ones left over from that Mendoza organization you guys talk about. A lot of the time the shooters are newcomers. But the leaders have pulled the trigger a time or two.”

“And the taps?”

“They're still dialing some of them in.” Mindy blushed. “Stan asked Castillo if he could shift some over to the Kings because they talk more.”

“Good thinking on Stan's part. He can run that stuff any way he likes. So long as we're getting good information from it.”

“He's trying to get a guy on tape. He got him once, but it's a ten second call and he doesn't say much. Sounds like a white guy, though.”

“Probably an arms dealer.”

“He's looking for Hernan as well. That guy's been pretty scarce since the shooting started.”

“If they need money for guns, he'll pop up soon enough. Especially when Tubbs and I start leaning on Nicky.”

“How is Rico?”

“He's hangin' in there.” Sonny almost stopped, but saw something in her eyes. “He never really knew the boy. I think he only actually saw him once. It was more the dream he was hanging onto. That and grief from the death of her mother.” He told her the whole sorry Calderone tale in as short a version as he could create. “So he'll be good,” he finished. “Angry, but good.”

“I'm glad.” Something flashed in her eyes, but she turned away before Sonny could get a solid look.

Castillo and Trudy were the next to arrive, surrounded in the soft glow Sonny had come to expect when he saw them together. Trudy was radiant, looking beautiful with her hair down and wearing a bright green dress leaving little to the imagination. Castillo was wearing his same dark suit and skinny leather tie, but he looked...happy. Almost beaming himself. Sonny hid his own smile. Given what those two had been through it was impossible for him not to be happy for them.

“I won't be here all day, Sonny.” Castillo poured coffee for himself and Trudy. “And I won't be in your way.”

“To hell with that, Marty. This is your task force. I can stand in for the field operations, but it's your unit and your call.” He quickly briefed Castillo about what Mindy had told him. “And I expect Tubbs within the hour,” he finished. “Stan and Lester...I don't worry so long as someone doesn't report a giant cockroach peeking in their bathroom window. And Dave and Randy need their sleep. We'll have to pick out new target areas for them, though. Mindy says they wrapped up the perimeter last night.”

“Still nothing from Nicky?”

“No. Tubbs is gonna lean on him tonight if he doesn't page today.”

“Good. We need to push them into the open to bring Doc out.” Castillo looked at the map. “You were right, Sonny. We missed the real center. Doc's somewhere in the heart of Treys territory. With his own people around him.”

“Yeah. Someone that careful isn't going to rely on hired guns.”

Trudy stared at the map. “It still feels like we're missing something.”

“We don't know where the China White comes from. That's a big gap. I'd guess he's running his own supply chain or we would have heard about something before this. Runs his own supply, contracts out distribution. Smart.” It was what I did with the Manolo cartel. And losing transportation is what brought Burnett down. “He picked out the weakest link and covered it. You can always find dealers. Reliable transportation is something else again.”

“Trudy, you and Mindy get the port records. Go back at least three years. We're looking for ships with Southeast Asian ports of call. Thailand or Cambodia in particular. I'd say smaller vessels, not the big container ships.” Castillo stared at the map, seeing a different city spread out before him. “We're looking for patterns. He might not own the ships himself, but he knows the person who does. Shell companies. But with a common source.”

Trudy nodded. “We'll get on it. I've got computer support and access, but it will take some time.”

Sonny smiled. “Do what you can. The chief deputy might have some stuff, too. And check with Customs. They still owe us from the OCB days, let alone what we did with Moncado. That coke must have pegged their quotas for the year, let alone the month. Coast Guard, too. They might have a ship or two of interest already in mind.”

Rico's eyes might have told the tale of last night, but his suit was immaculate and he kept his eyes hidden behind sunglasses. But Sonny could tell by his walk that his partner was feeling some pain. Gone was the light saunter, instead he chose each step carefully. He looked around the conference room. “Why's it so damned bright in here?”

Sonny laughed, then winced as his own head reminded him he wasn't immune. “Try two of these.” He tossed the aspirin bottle to Tubbs, who just managed to catch it. “That and Stan's coffee can work miracles.”

Castillo shook his head. “Are you ready for duty, detective?”

Tubbs nodded, slowly so as not to aggravate what must be a pounding headache. “Yes, lieutenant. So long as duty ain't loud or bright, at least for now.”

Sonny quickly filled Rico in. “And with a body count of four from last night,” he finished, “you can bet Metro-Dade's gonna be clomping around out their in the big boots. Not really doing much, but keeping the natives restless and making our job harder.”

“Any word on Nicky? He still hasn't paged.”

Trudy shook her head. “Stan says his name's coming up in chatter, but nothing big. He's still waiting for Hernan to show.”

“We can try Rizzo's tonight and see if the little maggot is there.” Sonny winced and rubbed his temples. “Assuming my head don't explode before then.”

Castillo nodded. “Keep at it. Sonny? A word?”

Sonny shut the office door behind them, noticing Castillo slid into his chair behind the desk. “It's good to see you back where you belong, Marty.”

“You're doing a fine job. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Especially yourself.” Castillo looked out the window for a time, and Sonny wondered for the millionth time what was going on inside his head. The man was a blank if you looked at him, his face passive and unreadable. Unless he wanted you to see something. When he spoke, his voice was low. “I've been thinking about things. I think it's time we put Trudy and Stan in for promotions. Lester, too, in a couple of months.”

“I couldn't agree more, lieutenant. Hell, Trudy should have made sergeant months ago. Maybe years. And Stan...” He shook his head. “I was wrong about him, Marty. He's as good as they come. Maybe better. We wouldn't be where we are without those two.”

“I'm glad you agree. I was afraid I was too close to Trudy to make a fair call. And given your history with Switek...”

“That was all on me. I screwed up, and his partner paid the price. Stan did the best he could with the shitty situation I left him in. The fact that he stuck it out tells me all I need to know about him.” Sonny sat down with a wry grin. “And anyone who can come back from having a LAW fired at them deserves a promotion.”

“Lester joined us late, so that's why I'm delaying his.”

“I agree. If you want I can explain it to him.”

“No. It's my call, so I'll do the explaining.” Marty turned back to the window. “One thing about being in charge, being a leader. You can't have someone else do the hard jobs for you. That's always on you. If you're really a leader.”

“Can we do anything for the deputies? Hell, we'd still be treading water somewhere in the Everglades right now if they weren't with us.”

“I think so. I've talked with Chief Deputy Washington and he agrees with us. He'll do everything he can to push paperwork through.”

Sonny chuckled. “He's a character.”

“He is. He's got a solid reputation.” Castillo turned back from the window. “They say he was a bit of a cowboy in his field days. Worked some nasty prisoner recoveries in Harlem in the '70s. Alone. They let him handpick his team down here, and you see the results.”

“We're lucky to be working with him.”

“We are.” Castillo looked down at the papers on the desk as if seeing them for the first time. “So much of this has been about luck.”

Sonny shook his head. He'd never seen Marty quite like this before, and it bothered him. No, bothered wasn't the right word. It worried him. But not in a bad way. He couldn't put a word on it. “I don't follow.”

“Trudy and I. Maynard missing anything vital when he shot me. Stan and Lester surviving the LAW. That tape.” Castillo shook his head. “All coming from luck. Not anything we did or didn't do. Do you ever think about how much we really owe to luck?”

“Every day.” He reached up, touching her ring again through his shirt. “It was luck that brought Caitlin and I together. You could have sent Tubbs on that assignment. It was luck that brought me back here when you were forming the Task Force. I almost didn't come back, you know.” He shook his head. “Of course, so much of my luck runs bad it's hard to tell the difference sometimes. But yeah, I think about luck every day.” He chuckled. “And if I'm the bad luck magnet that keeps it away from the rest of you, then it's good luck I'm here.” His head stabbed at him in protest, and he winced behind his own sunglasses. “And then there's Rico. What kind of luck is it that lets you hear your own son be killed and then his killing avenged by a man you hated?”

Castillo shook his head. “That question's above even my pay grade, Sonny. How is he?”

“Hungover, but I think he'll be ok. We stopped by to see Robbie yesterday and that helped.” Sonny smiled. “Robbie's a good friend that way.”

“He's a good man. It's good you made things right with him.”

“Yeah, it really is.” Sonny nodded, even though the movement made his head scream in protest. “Oh, I meant to tell you. I got a call from Caitlin's old assistant yesterday. Angie. We're going to turn her house into a youth recovery center. I should have thought of that years ago, honestly. I gave her Gina's number to see about some possible candidates.”

“That's a big step.”

“I'm not gonna run the place. She's got someone in mind, I think. Angie, I mean. Sounds like she's been thinking about it for a while now.” He touched the ring again. “It just feels strange, though. Like I'm letting go of part of her again.”

“No. You're bringing her dream to life. Never forget that, Sonny. By doing this you honor her and her memory.”

“Yeah. I suppose I should tell her, though.” He sat up straight, realizing he'd spoken the words out loud.

Castillo read his movements. “There's nothing strange about that, Sonny. I don't judge. Not after the things I saw in the Laotian highlands. Or some of the Thai villages. So much of the world is beyond our understanding.”

“Thanks, Marty. I...I should do that today.”

“Take the time you need. It will help you focus. And we need to be focused.” He turned and looked back out the window, but Sonny knew he wasn't seeing the skyline. “All of us.”

Back in the conference room Sonny found Rico squinting at his pager with a look of absolute annoyance. “Damned that little worm. It's too early in the morning to be paging people.”

“Nicky finally crawl out of his hole?”

“Yeah.” Tubbs grimaced. “I really don't want to hear him whine right now.”

Sonny pointed to the phone. “Make the call. Lean on the little puke.”

“Yeah. I'll call him from the airport again.” Tubbs hit buttons and punched in the number like a pro. “What the hell you want, Nicky?” He grimaced again. “So you can't get fifty? Can you get the twenty-five? Hell, can you get anything aside from the clap that nasty stripper probably laid on you?”

Sonny almost spit coffee across the table. Rico was in rare form.

“No, chump. You listen! I've about had it with you damned hayseeds down here yanking my chain and almost getting me killed! Twenty-five is as low as we go in terms of weight. We'll pay top dollar if it's that Red Cross stuff, but that's it. No negotiating. I don't care how many damned books you read about it. This is New York style. My offer's the ONLY one on the table! You've got two days, and if I don't hear from you about a meet and buy I'm out of here. And then you can explain to Burnett how you screwed up his end of the deal.” Tubbs slammed down the phone with a smile. “That felt good.”

Sonny started a slow clap. “Nicely played, partner. I wonder how much he wet his pants with that one?”

“Judging from the squeak he let out when I mentioned Burnett I think he shit his pants for good measure.” Rico leaned back in the chair, sighing and rubbing his temples. “Maybe I pushed the little chump too hard.”

“No.” Once again Castillo had managed to open the office door and approach the table without being noticed. “You hit that perfectly. Nicky's a minnow pretending to be a shark. You just reminded him of his place. Now he'll start pushing his contact, and we should see Hernan soon.”

“Good. I was starting to feel like they were playing us.”

“No, Rico.” Sonny looked at the map again. “There's bigger things at play here, and we're just on the edges. The Kings and Treys are busy fighting off two Columbian gangs, and at least one of them's also worried about protecting Doc and his supply lines. And someone's upgunning at least the Treys, and we know the Kings are trying to raise money for more guns. We're just little yappy dogs on the edges of this dog fight.”

“Do you have a plan if Nicky doesn't call?”

Sonny nodded, regretting the movement as his head pounded in protest. “I just made one up. Burnett can go lean on him while we roll out Teddy Prentiss to approach the Treys. Nicky's not dealing with them as far as we can tell, and I think Rico might still have an in or two with them.”

“It's been years, but I...I mean Teddy...did know one or two dealers on the edges of their organization. Pot mostly, but we did move coke once or twice. They'd know me as a flashy but careful Island guy who moves mostly small amounts of product.”

Castillo nodded. “Good. We use that if we have to ditch Nicky.”

Sonny looked at Rico. “It's slower, but it'll work if we have to go that way.”

“Yeah. The Dominicans I was dealing with are still in play, at least according to Dave and Randy's reports. They were using street names, but I know their faces, mon.” He chuckled, lapsing into Teddy mode. “I'll make some moves down around the Hilton, just so I show up on the radar. Better they know I'm in town before I just show up on their doorstep.”

“There's buy money if you need it.” Castillo smiled. “We have a deep line of credit after the Moncado bust. They're still counting the money they pulled out of his house and his yacht.”

“Well, well, well!” Sonny and Rico winced in unison as Stan's voice boomed through the room. “Look what the cat dragged in! You two girls feeling ok?”

“Stuff it, Stan.” Sonny chuckled. “Unless you want me to take the Roach Coach away.”

“Aw, come on, Sonny. You wouldn't do that.”

“Try me.” The he laughed again. “Nice work with that switch to the Kings, Stan. You and Lester got that sewn up yet?”

“Just finished up. Lester's down in the garage making some adjustments to Marilyn's settings so we can get the boom mike to work further out. And we hooked up that unit for listening to the hand-helds the Treys are using.” Stan ran a thick hand through his sweaty hair, making it stick up in all directions. “Man, it's already too damned hot out there!”

“Rico just finished sweating Nicky, speaking of heat. You might see him start popping up on the Kings taps. Keep an eye out for him and Hernan.”

“You got it, Sonny. Tape's rolling now. Takes time to go through, but I got a fix on some of the numbers that usually talk about Nicky, so it'll go faster now.” The big hand ran through the hair again, patting it down as if nothing had happened. “I'll be in the Tech Room if you girls need anything.”

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

“How did you do it?”

“Do what?” He knew the tone in Rico's voice and got cautious. Dangerous ground you're heading toward, partner.

“Move on past that stuff? Caitlin and all that?”

“How did you get past your brother being murdered? I ain't saying that to be mean, partner, but it's the same question.” Sonny took a pull of his beer, feeling the cold liquid cool his throat. “You either deal or you don't, I guess. And we deal, but we both lost it in the aftermath.”

Yes I am one of those awful readers who has to sneak a peek at later points in the story before I've read all of the beginning... But right here is what I wish they'd done on the show.  I'm so glad you did it. 

Edited by vicegirl85

12 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Yes I am one of those awful readers who has to sneak a peek at later points in the story before I've read all of the beginning... But right here is what I wish they'd done on the show.  I'm so glad you did it. 

That was always one of my big complaints about the show...so many pivotal things went unremarked in later episodes. So I do try to loop back and close things they didn't for whatever reason.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

That was always one of my big complaints about the show...so many pivotal things went unremarked in later episodes. So I do try to loop back and close things they didn't for whatever reason.

I feel like I got some answers that I can live with !! Thanks, Robbie!! Great job!

33 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

I feel like I got some answers that I can live with !! Thanks, Robbie!! Great job!

I’m happy you feel that way. I try to tie things up in ways that make sense based on both the original character feel and how I’ve ‘grown’ them 

• Like 1