Echoes - Part XIII

Robbie C.

Rico met him at the office door the next morning with a big grin on his face. “She was back, wasn't she?”

“How can you tell?” Sonny sighed. “Wait. Don't answer that.”

“So did she talk or did she TALK? That's what I want to know.”

“Both.” Sonny walked through the conference room and stuck his head in Trudy's office. “Trudy? I hate to bug you, but can you run the name Donald or Donnie Westbrook when you get a chance? Thanks. I owe you.”

“So that's what it's about. Another dude.”

“I don't know for sure yet.” Sinking down in Castillo's chair Sonny filled Rico in on last night's events. “We know she's been moving art already,” he finished. “Or we thought she was. Now we know. She just changes the boat's name when she's working. So that part checks out. I don't know if I buy that she's not moving anything else. I'll have a better idea when I see this Westbrook's info.”

“What does your gut tell you?”

“Not a damned thing, Rico. And that's what bugs the hell out of me. With Callie it was screaming like I had an ulcer. And even Mikko didn't sit right. But Jenny? I'll be damned if I can tell.”

“Let me meet her. I might be able to get something.”

“That's not a bad idea. She's expecting me to reach out to some friends about this punk.”

“If he's been moving dope, I can drop by as Teddy Prentiss, mon. Might not be bad to have him seen some different places.”

“Thanks, Rico. I just want to sort this crap out and move on. We've got bigger things to focus on.”

“And no, I haven't heard from either Hernan or Nicky since last night. Stan says there's been some talk on the Kings taps, and he thinks I'll be hearing from Hernan soon. They do want more money and Cooper's looking like a damned good cash cow to them.”

“Good to know.” Sonny turned and looked out the window. “Sorry, Rico. Just getting my brain together.”

“She got to you, didn't she?”

“Yes, and I'll be damned if I know why.” He raised his hand. “The white horse is in back in the stable. You got my word on that. I think it's more not knowing what the hell she's up to. And the disconnect. How can she be a successful smuggler and a semi-nudist hippie at the same time?”

“And why you? That's in there too, isn't it?”

“Yeah. Why me? There's at least five other guys in that marina who look better than me, and of that bunch two of them are runners. Coke mostly. I don't bust 'em because they make good connections to bigger fish. But any one of them would be better-positioned to help her, and she'd know it. Hell, she'd been tying up there for over two weeks before she came after me.”

“I got no answers for you, partner. But you'd better get your head back in our game. Trudy's gonna go bring Marty in later and he's gonna want the full report on last night.”

“Already working on it.” Sonny tapped the side of his head. “Right up here.”

“Then we're screwed. All it's gonna say is boobs, boobs, oh my God what did she just do.”

“You know what, Tubbs? You're fired. Get your ass down to traffic and write some tickets.” He was still chuckling when Rico flipped him off and headed out the door.

The ride in didn't leave Martin Castillo as tired this time, and he took that as a good sign. According to the doctors he was improving rapidly, though they still wouldn't sign off on full duty yet. Still, it felt good to be doing something other than sitting at home waiting for Trudy. Not for the first time he remembered the pain that came with the joy of being with someone.

Mindy smiled as they came through the door. “You're looking better today, captain.”

“You mean lieutenant.”

“You didn't know?” Her eyes went wide. “Oh, you wouldn't. It came in after Trudy went to get you. They're promoting you.”

The words took a moment to sink in, and even then Castillo didn't trust them. “That means a reassignment.”

“No. The chief deputy was clear on that. You are not being moved. The promotion is in line with, and I quote him, 'the joint responsibilities of your unique task force,' And he also said it's a thank you for the Maynard/Moncado thing.”

“Does anyone else know?” He looked at Trudy, extending his hand by his side and squeezing hers. He didn't care about the rank, but the additional money would be good for the pension when he finally did step away.

“Uh...they might.” Mindy blushed and looked down at her notes.

Trudy giggled. “Don't be mad, Marty. They'll just be happy for you.”

“It's not just about me. We all did that. As a task force.”

“Sure. But the leader always gets the shiny stuff first.” She kissed him on the cheek. “And it's long overdue.”

Once the conference room door opened Castillo could do nothing to quiet them. Sonny led the clapping, followed by Rico. Stan hooted from the corner, and even Randy and Dave were thumping their approval on the table. Lester just grinned, tapping his cane on the side of the table in a show of support. Finally he raised his hands. “This should be for all of you,” he said, pitching his voice to both cut through theirs and quiet them just a bit. “And I want you to know we recommended all of you for promotions as well. Lester, yours might be a bit delayed because you joined us late, but Sonny and I didn't forget about you. Dave and Randy, I've got the chief deputy looking into what he can do for you two and Mindy. None of this would have happened without your work. Soon we'll have three sergeants on the task force.” He paused, then looked at his two top detectives. “And if the department can swing it, two lieutenants.”

Sonny's face went white. “That's a command slot.”

“Normally, yes. But this is a special circumstance. This task force has produced more results in three months than OCB did in a year at its peak. And we've done it with less money overall and far less manpower. Even with the marshals helping out. So it's earned, gentlemen. Make no mistake. And if they try to pull any of you they'll be answering to both me and Chief Deputy Washington. And his superiors.” He smiled then, a real smile that stretched muscles he didn't normally use in public. “Drinks are on me tonight at The Sanctuary. Unless something breaks with the case, of course.”

It took another ten minutes, but things finally calmed down enough for the debriefing to start. Stan looked around the table. “Those mics worked pretty well. Clear, and we had good reception on the whole. I wish we could have tested the earpieces, but there're still to big to look like anything other than a hearing aid. I don't know how transmission will hold up in bad weather, and Lester and I are convinced a TV relay tower will take them down fast. But there were no comms glitches to report last night.”

“It felt like a waste to just leave me in the garage all night.” Randy chuckled. “But I get it. We had no way of knowing how that meeting would play out. And I was still close enough to respond if Stan gave the word. He was my ears.”

“I had eyes on them until Hernan took Sonny to the drug pickup.” Dave shook his head. “Too much shit in the way once they turned that corner. Still, I think he would have fallen back to the park if anything went south and I could cover the entire thing from there. Rico was never out of my sight.”

Trudy nodded. “Mindy and I weren't much use in the car, but there wasn't a good way to put us on the street without attracting attention. It was a decent compromise.”

Sonny and Rico went through their actions, and Castillo watched their faces closely. He could tell something was bothering Sonny, but that it wasn't about the operation last night. Rico seemed calm. Collected. Back to his old self, but with a hint of anger around his eyes Castillo found comforting. Tubbs was always at his best when he was nursing some of his essential anger.

When they were done he sat for a moment. Sorting both their words and how they'd said them. “Do you think he'll page?”

“I think one of them will. Likely Hernan. He likes Nicky about as much as we do, and I can't see him letting the little chump near their arms connection.” Rico held up his hands. “In the end your guess is as good as mine, lieutenant...I mean captain. That's gonna take some getting used to.” He smiled. “I think they will, but they might get spooked and bail.”

“Do we have a back-up plan?”

Sonny shook his head. “Aside from rattling Nicky's cage and seeing what falls out? Nothing aside from hoping Stan and Lester can work their magic and pull something out of thin air. We don't have any other leads in aside from Nicky and Hernan.”

“What about Louis?”

Trudy shook her head. “As far as we know he's small time in the Treys. They compartmentalize better than the Kings. He might know something about where the guns are coming from, but I doubt it.”

“I don't like it, but I don't see a choice.”

“My gut tells me Hernan's gonna call.” Rico leaned back his chair, his Armani jacket falling open and exposing the butt of the Walther at his hip. “He's got hungry eyes, and we're dangling cash in front of him. At least thirty percent and a bonus on top of that. If we're right and Doc is taking that much of the deal, they're gonna need every cent they can get.”

Castillo looked up, locking eyes with everyone at the table. “Stay on it. And congratulations to everyone on their promotions. Sonny? Rico? My office.”

Once the door closed, Castillo sat down with a sigh. “The doctors say I can return to full desk duty next week. Still no idea about the field. That will give us one more person working the streets, since Sonny won't be tied here. I'm also going to send Mindy out more. We need to have some kind of fix on Doc. Something more than we have now.” He looked directly at Sonny. “But I also need you fully engaged. Something's bothering you. What is it? The house?”

“No. That's settled and done.” Sonny leaned back and sighed. “It's that damned woman. Jenny.” He told Castillo about the night before, leaving out none of his own suspicions and fears.

“Has Trudy gotten back to you yet?”

“No. She'd just submitted the query when she left to pick you up. I'm going to check with her as soon as we're done.”

“Sort it out. I trust your judgement, but if it gets complicated let me know immediately. I need everyone in this now.”

“Copy that, captain. I'll handle it.”

“How do you feel about her, Sonny? Really.”

“That's the thing, Marty. I don't know. Rico asked me earlier, and I still can't answer it. Sometimes it feels like she's playing me, but my gut says she's not. But she's not a random hot mess that washed up by my boat, either. And I know...I need to figure it out. Believe me, I'm trying.”

“Keep me in the loop. I'd give you a day but we just don't have them now. I suspect the Treys are trying to buy more Ingrams. They have an edge now, and Double G isn't the kind to let that pass. The Kings will go on the offensive as soon as they make their own weapons buy, so the streets are about to get hot again. I'd like to pin this down before it gets out of control and Metro-Dade overreacts.”

“You think they will?”

“It's a poor neighborhood, Sonny. They'll respond with full force, destroying whatever's left there. We know what happens then.”

Sonny nodded. “The cycle continues. Except this time the police will be the target instead of Columbians.” He pursed his lips, and Castillo could tell he was thinking. “Is there a way to get them focused on the Blancos and Los Tech 9s? Especially the Blancos. They're on the ropes right now.”

“I'll suggest it. I don't know if they'll listen, but we can try.”

Sonny was still in something close to shock when they walked back out to the conference room. Lieutenant! Who the hell would have thought that? I was happy enough to get the gold badge. The thought also sent butterflies roaming through his stomach. Once the task force was done, he'd have to move to a command position. And that was worse than death as far as he was concerned.

Still... “You get anything back on that query, Sergeant Joplin?”

Trudy looked up, a mischievous glitter in her eyes. “I was about to come tell you, lieutenant.”

“Ahhh!! Don't call me that! Forget I said sergeant, ok, Trudy?”

She laughed. “Don't get all fussy on me, Crockett. It's about time is all I can say. For both of us. Anyhow, I did get something back on that guy. He's a piece of work. A couple of assault beefs that got knocked down to lesser charges, one or two collars for pot possession, and he's pinged on the Coast Guard's list as a person of interest for narcotics trafficking. If your girl's messing with him, she's messing with fire.”

“And if he's messing with Burnett?”

“He wouldn't stand a chance.” She looked up at him, concern showing in her eyes now. “Does she mean that much to you, Sonny?”

“You're the third person who's asked me that today, and I still don't have a good answer.” Sonny sighed. “Hell, I don't know. Physically we connect. But the rest? Hell, she's like some kind of zoned-out hippie half the time. Those funny cards, strange poems, she doesn't like clothes.”

“She what now?”

“I mean it, Trudy. Half the time she's naked, the other half she's about to be naked. And when she opens her mouth you never know if she's gonna start some strange hippie thing or what. But she's smuggling art, too. She's not stupid, and obviously she's good at what she does.”

“Which is the opposite of what you do.”

“I know. And that's part of it, too. I just don't know, Trudy. Do I have 'date me if you're crazy' stamped on my forehead?”

“No. But you care, Sonny. You can't hide it. And they can tell. Trust me.” She smiled. “That's how you found Caitlin, and that's how you got the courage to turn your house into a recovery center for kids. I talked to Gina last night and she told me about that. I've never heard her so excited, except for when she told me she was moving in with Stan.”

“At least Angie will have a tough partner.” Sonny smiled to ease his own doubts. “She's a tough lady, but she...”

“Lacks a certain grace? She does. But God help the person who crosses her. Gina can provide the nice face and Angie can break their balls if they mess up.”

“Something like that. But that doesn't help me with Jenny.”

“No, but it might be a start. It's something only you can figure out, Sonny. But now you have an idea of what kind of trouble she might be facing.”

“Yeah.” He smiled again. “Thanks, Trudy. Guess I've got some work to do.” Sonny shook his head and headed for the office he shared with Tubbs. With Castillo back it just felt more natural to go back to the old routine. “A lot of damned work,” he muttered as he slumped in his chair.

“Boss?”

Earl Lester Holmes looked up from the sports section, a scowl fixed on his face. “How the hell did the Dolphins manage to lose again? Anyhow, what the hell do you want, Benny?”

“Two things. I sent Rickey and his crew to close the MAC-10 deal with the Treys. Simple cash on the table, and you said they could handle that without help.”

“Just count the damned money when they get back. If it's light, shoot Rickey in the right knee. No, make that the left knee. He needs his right to drive the damned truck. Be good to get those off our hands, truth be told.” Holmes folded the paper so only the football box scores showed. “What else you got?”

“The Kings called again. They got the money for the Tech 9s. Cash on the barrelhead. But they also said they got some Yankee who's wantin' to talk guns. I told 'em I'd have to check him out first. Says his name's Cooper. That's the one you mentioned, right, boss?”

“It is, Benny. Glad you remembered the name.” Holmes looked across the table, box scores forgotten. “Did they want to bring him to the meet?”

“I think so, boss. They didn't say it plain, but you could hear it in their damned voices.”

“Two birds, one stone.” Holmes did some thinking, reaching out and finding his beer had gone warm. “Grab me a cold one, would you? I can't think with this warm piss on my tongue.” He waited until Benny came back from the bar and took a good, long drink. The cold Bud ran down his throat and got his thoughts moving again. “That's a damned sight better. Look, Benny. That plan from before? It's still good. When you meet with them, having the boys hidin' in the barn with that surprise we talked about. Odds are you won't need it. They want their Tech 9s too Goddamned bad. But there's one change. I'm going with you.”

“Boss?”

He saw the hurt in the man's slow eyes. “Benny, I ain't that I don't trust you. I do trust you. But I want to see this Cooper with my own eyes. And if he's one of those Federals, I want to see him die with my own eyes. You can bet if he's there Burnett will show up, too. Same goes for him. I got a vague memory of him runnin' with that limp-dick Kern a few years back, but that ain't neither here nor there. A lot can change in a man, and he's been keepin' some questionable company. But from what I hear he gets the job done, and if he keeps workin' with Cooper that says something. Or they're both Federals, in which case we make the word a better place and blow them out of it.”

“I gotcha boss. Good plan.” Benny smiled, his ego soothed for now. “You want me to warn the boys?”

“Yeah, but don't move a thing until you hear back from those damned wetbacks.” Holmes looked down, remembering the paper and the five large he had on the Pittsburgh game. Only a moron bet for the Dolphins these days. “Either we're gonna make us some new rich friends or we'll get to shoot us some Federals. Either way it'll be a good day.”

Carlos was out on the restaurant floor when Leo came in, and he waved his right hand to the back office. “Tell me you got good news.”

“The Treys just closed on the MAC-10s. They're ready to rock and roll.” Leo shook his head. “The Kings say they're getting close to closing on theirs. That deal last night went down without a hitch. Although I did hear from a little bird that Hernan might be cutting them in on the arms deal. Introducing Cooper to that redneck son of a bitch.”

“So he's getting greedy.” Doc shook his head, looking at the sun slanting through partly-closed window blinds. “I always knew he was an idiot.”

“I'd say so.”

“This little bird wouldn't happen to be named Nicky, would it?”

“No. His muscle. Big idiot named Jimmy.” Leo chuckled. “I'm banging his girl and he's none the wiser. But he likes to brag to her, and she talks to me. This Cooper made noise about needing guns and a finder's fee and Hernan jumped all over it like a stay dog on raw meat.”

“Have they met yet?”

“She didn't think so. The Kings had to arrange it.”

“First he runs his mouth to his cousin, and now this.” Carlos looked down, thinking back to another man who'd gotten greedy. And the one before him. “I think another message needs to be sent. Are you up for it?”

“Hell yes. I never liked Hernan anyhow.” Leo looked across the desk. “When do you want it done?”

“How soon will you know if they've set up a meet with Holmes?”

“Hard to say. Likely within an hour of the call. Not before you know, though.”

Carlos smiled. He did have communication with Holmes from time to time, but not about things like this. “Does Hernan go to these meetings?”

“He hasn't before. He might go with Cooper, though.”

“Not this time. Have Louis call him with an excuse. Send a hooker after him. Anything to get him to stay behind. Once they're committed to the meeting, send the message. Same as before.”

“Consider it done, boss. You think the Kings will kick?”

“If they have their Tech 9s I don't think they'll notice. Hernan was on his way out, and if they find out he has ties to Louis they'll be quick to disavow him.”

Leo nodded. “I'll get it done, Doc.” He laughed on his way out the door. “Maybe the Kings will send Nicky and his pet ape and tie that off for us, too. I can't see those two getting close to that crew of rednecks without pissing one of them off and getting shot. Or maybe Burnett will do us the favor.”

Left with his own thoughts, Carlos tried to think a few moves ahead. The Kings were almost fatally weakened now, even with Tech 9s. Their rank and file were in disarray, their dealers scattered or jumping ship to the Treys or anyone else who both supply and protect them. And that meant it was time for him to move away from them as well, no matter the outcome of their fight with the Columbians. Maybe it was time to start gathering intel on this Teddy Prentiss. Another dealer, especially one far from his base of operations, was never a bad thing. Especially a dealer who understood and was content with his place in the food chain.

But this wasn't a job for Leo. Leo was his blunt instrument, the man he used to send messages and keep order. This was more for Juan. Where Leo was blunt, Juan was low-key. He had contacts ranging through many neighborhoods in Miami, reaching into places Leo couldn't go because of his reputation or skin color. Juan's mother had been black, so he could pass in any of the neighborhoods with meaning to Carlos. Reaching out, he picked up the field phone. “I need a full workup on Teddy Prentiss. Might be Jamaican. I know he's dealt in pot before. As soon as you can.”

She was waiting for him when he got back to the marina to change before meeting the rest of the task force at The Sanctuary, but on Vellamo instead of inviting herself on board his boat. That, Sonny decided as he acknowledged her wave, was progress of a sort. At least for today.

“I wasn't sure if I'd see you,” she said, that same white shirt unbottoned and draping down from her shoulders. He could see bikini bottoms, but the dark circles showing through told him all he needed to know about the top. “I just...”

“It's ok, darlin'.” He took her in his arms just to keep the shirt on for now. No reason to give the old guy down in slip 17 another heart attack. “Let's go below and I'll tell you what I found out. I can't stay long. Got a business thing in a bit over an hour. But you need to know.”

She listened as he spun what he'd learned from Trudy, nodding from time to time. “None of that surprises me. He could be rough...mean when he felt like it. With no warning. And his friends...I never liked any them. I really thought I'd gotten away from him when I bought Vellamo and left Lauderdale.”

“So why keep running? You're in the same line of work. Sooner or later you had to know you'd run into him again.”

“I wasn't thinking that far ahead.” She giggled and looked away. “That's always been one of my problems, at least if you ask my father. Anyhow, it's what I know and some of the people are really kind. I just thought, or hoped, he'd stick to drugs and stay out of my trade.”

“If he was looking for you he'd know exactly where to go.”

“I know. Well, now I know.” She smiled and then looked up at him. “I can be really silly sometimes, you know.”

“Really?”

“Don't make fun, Sonny. Look...I don't know what you do and I don't want to know. Really. If you can't help, that's fine. Just say so and I can move on someplace else.” She let the shirt fall open. “But I don't want to. That's the problem. Usually I just weigh anchor and sail away. But I don't want to sail away now.”

“What do you want, Jenny? I mean, really? I can get this guy off your back, but what after that?”

“Does it have to be so complicated?”

“Yes.” He let his voice be Burnett hard for a second. “Sometimes it does. My life is complicated, Jenny. I can't get around that. I wish it could be simple, but it's not. Like I said, I can make Donnie go away. That's the simple part. The hard part is what comes after that.”

She sighed and rested her head in his lap. “Why can't it just be like this?”

“Because it's not real, darlin'. There's what comes after. I've tried getting away from that, and you can't do it.”

She was quiet for a time, and for a moment he thought she was falling asleep. Then she stirred. “What do you want to know?”

“About what?”

“About me.”

“Can you stop smuggling?”

“Yes.” Her voice was small. “It meant the world to me once, but it doesn't now.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I know I can.” Her fingers fumbled with his slacks. “For you I can.”

“But can you stay done with it?”

“Yes. I don't need the money, Sonny.” Her fingers reached their goal. “It's never been about the money.”

“Why me? What drew you to me? There's at least five other guys in the marina who look better.”

“Because.” She was quiet for a time. “Because we are meant for each other. I knew it the first time I saw you. I had to be sure, so I waited. I saw those other men. They didn't do a thing for me. Then I was sure.”

Part of him wanted to get up and leave right then, slacks be damned. But there was another part that kept whispering she was right. He tried to fight it, to chalk it down to what she was doing right now and nothing more. But he couldn't. It was the same kind of thing he'd felt when he met Caitlin. A pull. Something he couldn't put into words but was as real as a slug from his .45 and just as powerful. Then just as suddenly as she'd started, she stopped.

“You'd better get ready for that business thing.” She smiled up at him. “I'll be waiting for you when you're done. Don't drink too much.” She licked her lips, and her eyes glittered with a light he hadn't seen there before. “You know I'm right, don't you? About us?”

“Yes.” The word jumped out before he could stop it, but he knew there was no point. “I do. I'll see you tonight, Jenny. And then it's your turn.”

Sonny found the rest of the task force at their usual table in the back, and resigned himself to not only buying a round but being the butt of every bad joke for at least ten minutes. He was surprised to see Robbie at the table, and even more when he saw the bright eyes and dark hair of Julia. “We managed to con her mother into babysitting,” Robbie explained with a grin when he saw Sonny's expression. “We don't get out as much as we should and she wanted to see you.”

“Julia! Lovely as ever. I'm surprised you keep putting up with this bozo.”

Julia smiled, and Sonny had a good idea what was coming next. “I'm surprised he keeps putting up with me. And how did you sneak away from your blonde mermaid?”

Rico shrugged. “What can I say? She threatened me.”

Castillo looked...happy. It almost floored Sonny to see so much joy on Marty's face. “We saved you a seat,” he announced, pointing to a spot next to Dave. “We figured you'd be safer next to Dave.”

“About time you got here, Crockett.” Gina stuck her head around Stan's big shoulders and waved. “I need another drink. And you big spenders are buying for the poor sergeants tonight.” Then her tone softened. “I'm glad you had Angie call me. We talked for over an hour. I've already got some candidates for her.”

“Good. Now if we can just get the poor girl over here the next two rounds are on me.”

Julia frowned. “If you think any of you are paying for anything tonight...”

“Call it a tip, then. We'll be working those poor girls hard, Julia.”

“Sounds fair to me.” Julia laughed and kissed Robbie on the cheek. “We should have done this weeks ago, Robbie.”

Castillo shot Tubbs a meaningful stare. “Don't forget that pager.”

“I won't. It's right here. And I'm sticking with beer tonight, captain. Just in case one of those little chumps pages.”

“And I've got to, too. The mermaid's orders.”

Robbie looked over at him. “You get that one figured out yet?”

“Maybe. I don't know for sure. But maybe.” Sonny gave a weak smile.

“Let me guess. You were made for each other.”

“How the hell...”

“You got that look on your face, man. Same one I saw you with outside that strip club at Camp Lejune.”

Sonny shot a look at Julia, who was laughing with Mindy about something. “Be very glad she's here, buddy.”

“Oh, I am.” Robbie laughed. “Trust me. I am. But that's what she said, right?”

“More or less.”

“Ya gotta be careful with that one. I heard it before, too. Only the last time was from Julia. The time that mattered.” He raised his glass. “Sometimes it's a false alarm and other times it's true. You just gotta figure out which one this is.”

Sonny raised his beer bottle. “Amen to that.” He nodded toward Castillo and Trudy. “Like those two.”

“Man, I don't even try to figure that one out. Stan and Gina, sure. Two good people who finally found each other. But those two? Shit. It's above my pay grade.”

“Mine, too. Never seen anything like it.”

Robbie nodded. “I think we should be glad we did, though.”

“I think you're right.” Sonny was starting to enjoy the way the beer felt on his tongue. Not sharp like bourbon and more gentle in its warming. Two more and he'd be good to go, so long as some food appeared.

A burst of noise from across the table got his attention. Gina started squealing, nodding and then crying. Trudy was hugging her, and Stan looked like he'd been caught with his hand the cookie jar. Or... “Stan! You sly dog!” Sonny raised his bottle and laughed. “Congratulations, both of you!”

Rico looked up. “What the hell did I just miss?”

“Unless I miss my guess, and I've been through it twice, Stan just proposed and Gina said yes.”

All Stan could do was nod. Lester slapped him on the back, not caring that bits of his cast were flaking off on the table. Gina and Trudy were still hugging, joined by Julia and Mindy in a sort of strange girl huddle. Randy and Dave shook their heads, motioning for more drinks at almost the same instant. And Robbie...all Robbie could do was look at Sonny and laugh. “Looks like I got another damned party to plan for.” He turned when a nearby customer grumbled. “Complain all you want. It's my damned club.”

Sonny recognized the mood. “I got this, Robbie. Stan looks like he could use another drink, though.” Once Robbie was distracted, he turned to the grumbling man and turned on his full Burnett ice-cold stare. “You don't want to make this worse.”

The man, bulky from too much time at the gym and not enough oxygen to his brain, started to move and then stopped. Seeing the finality in Sonny's eyes. “No, man. Like he said, it's his club. I'm cool. It's cool.”

“Good choice. Now go be cool somewhere else.” Sonny held his look until the man stepped back almost twenty feet. Then he turned back to the table. Better me than Marty he reasoned, lifting his beer to join in one of the toasts going around the table. Hell, better me than anyone else here. That guy would be so pulped they'd have to bury him in a Baggie and there'd be room to spare.

It was almost midnight before he could pry himself away from the table. The punk was long gone, and Robbie and Julia had headed out a few minutes before. “The mother-in-law's only cooperative for so long,” Robbie announced with a grin. “Best wishes, you two.” Then he turned to Sonny, clapping an arm around his shoulder. “Figure your lady out, Sonny. And if it's real, I want to be there this time.”

“You will if it's real, Robbie. That's a promise.” Sonny watched his friends go, then finished his beer and caught Castillo's attention across the table. “Marty, I...”

“Do what you have to do. I've got this.” Castillo smiled, raising his club soda. “Doctors won't let me drink, but they can't stop me from having fun.”

Before he left, Sonny made sure to lean across to Gina. She was still beaming and crying from too much joy and likely too many margaritas. “Gina, I want to wish you and Stan the absolute best. You're both great people and really deserve each other.”

“Thanks, Sonny.” She smiled, and tears started flowing again. “That means so much coming from you.”

He smiled, not sure if she was making fun or not. Hell, she's too blasted to know if she's making fun or not. Stan just beamed and nodded, raising his own bottle in silent salute. They were close enough now no words were needed, a far cry from where they'd been when he left OCB after Costa Morada.

He turned to say goodby to Rico, but saw him deep in conversation with Mindy. Catching Randy's eye, he shrugged and flashed a thumb's up. Randy nodded, winking. “Marty and I'll make sure they get home, boss. Even Dave.” He looked over at the sniper, who was busy building a pyramid with empty old fashioned glasses and explaining to a waitress why it was an exact replica of King Tut's tomb.

Sonny saw Debbie on the way out and smiled an apology. “If they get to be too much, just let Marty or Randy know. They'll move 'em out.” Reaching into his wallet, he pulled out three one hundred dollar bills. “I know Robbie said the drinks were covered, but consider this our tip. Sorry about the mess.”

“You guys are fine. At least no one's grabbing our asses or being total jerks.” She smiled. “That Dave's actually really sweet.”

Sonny filed the comment away for later. He smiled again and heading out into the cooling evening. And only then did it really hit him. Stan and Gina were getting married.

The drive back to the marina was filled with so many conflicting thoughts Sonny could barely focus on the road. He and Gina had their time, of course, but those days were long gone. He'd moved on at least a year before she finally realized it, and of course there was Caitlin putting a period on the whole thing. His relationship with Stan had always been complicated, made worse by his own behavior leading up to the murder of Larry and his whole obsessive slide into what became the Burnett affair. Still, he'd always known Stan had a big heart, and he couldn't think of anyone he'd rather see Gina with. The big guy was many things, but he'd never hurt her and he'd support her in anything she decided to do with her life. He knew he could never have said the same.

The marina lot was dark, and no one was out when he parked the Ferrari and started the walk down the dock. A lone candle flickered in one of the saloon ports on Vellamo, where he knew she was waiting. Robbie's words kept echoing in his mind as he walked, feeling the cooling breeze lift under his blazer. But how the hell do you know it's true before it's too late to run if it's not? He'd always had trouble with that part.

She was sitting at the table belowdeck, a light blue silk shirt thrown over her shoulders. “Did you have a good time?” There was no resentment in her voice, which surprised him. She genuinely wanted to know. It reminded him of Caitlin. Caroline would have had the sarcasm dripping from the ceiling by now.

“Yeah, I actually did. You know how work things are. At least no one started a fight, and we even had some good news come out of it.” He sat down on the settee, feeling relaxed and not on edge from the beer.

“It was nice for me, too. It gave me time to think.” She turned to him and smiled, touching his shoulder with her long fingers. “About lots of things. Some simple, and some complicated.”

He nodded, enjoying the way the silk slid across her shoulders and chest. Almost like water flowing back and forth over polished tan stones. “Make sense of any of it?”

“I think so.” Her eyes were fixed on his face, and he felt like she was trying to memorize every line, every contour. “I know I don't want to leave here. Or to leave you. And if that means stopping my business, I will.”

“It has to. What you do and what I do don't mix.” He smiled, leaning down and kissing her. “I wish there was another way...”

“If there's not, there's not. It's just things. One thing I learned doing that is things are easy to come by. People aren't. I used to think it was the other way. Maybe I hadn't met the right people. Or person.”

“I can get rid of Westbrook for you. It'll take a few days, but it can happen. I'll need to know about his routes, his patterns. Little thing you know that no one else might.”

“That's for later.” She kept staring into his eyes, almost like she was afraid he'd disappear if she blinked. “What I need to know is if I made the right decision.”

“Yes.” His answer surprised him, but it also didn't. “I can't give up what I do, Jenny. It's part of me. For too long it's been all I had.” He thought of Trudy and Castillo and shook his head. “No, I can't say that. I can step back from it, but it will take time.”

“I know. You have to be moving, Sonny. Always moving. You showed me how complex can become simple. I can show you how to slow down. We can learn together.” She let the shirt slide off her shoulders. “I'm sorry...I thought I'd be better at this. It's all new to me.”

“It's ok, darlin'. Love is simple and complex at the same time. I've...” His voice trailed off. “I've been down that road a few times.”

“She was beautiful. I saw the picture on your boat. And the ring. I...”

“It's ok.” He was repeating himself, but he didn't care. “You can ask. She was killed. It's been a few years now. After that, I never though I'd feel it again.”

“What?”

“What I feel right now.” Leaning forward, he took her in his arms and kissed her. She responded with a passion that found echo in his own, growing and building as they touched. Later neither of them could remember who'd said 'I love you' first or when, but they knew it was that night.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Rico met him at the office door the next morning with a big grin on his face. “She was back, wasn't she?”

“How can you tell?” Sonny sighed. “Wait. Don't answer that.”

“So did she talk or did she TALK? That's what I want to know.”

“Both.” Sonny walked through the conference room and stuck his head in Trudy's office. “Trudy? I hate to bug you, but can you run the name Donald or Donnie Westbrook when you get a chance? Thanks. I owe you.”

“So that's what it's about. Another dude.”

“I don't know for sure yet.” Sinking down in Castillo's chair Sonny filled Rico in on last night's events. “We know she's been moving art already,” he finished. “Or we thought she was. Now we know. She just changes the boat's name when she's working. So that part checks out. I don't know if I buy that she's not moving anything else. I'll have a better idea when I see this Westbrook's info.”

“What does your gut tell you?”

“Not a damned thing, Rico. And that's what bugs the hell out of me. With Callie it was screaming like I had an ulcer. And even Mikko didn't sit right. But Jenny? I'll be damned if I can tell.”

“Let me meet her. I might be able to get something.”

“That's not a bad idea. She's expecting me to reach out to some friends about this punk.”

“If he's been moving dope, I can drop by as Teddy Prentiss, mon. Might not be bad to have him seen some different places.”

“Thanks, Rico. I just want to sort this crap out and move on. We've got bigger things to focus on.”

“And no, I haven't heard from either Hernan or Nicky since last night. Stan says there's been some talk on the Kings taps, and he thinks I'll be hearing from Hernan soon. They do want more money and Cooper's looking like a damned good cash cow to them.”

“Good to know.” Sonny turned and looked out the window. “Sorry, Rico. Just getting my brain together.”

“She got to you, didn't she?”

“Yes, and I'll be damned if I know why.” He raised his hand. “The white horse is in back in the stable. You got my word on that. I think it's more not knowing what the hell she's up to. And the disconnect. How can she be a successful smuggler and a semi-nudist hippie at the same time?”

“And why you? That's in there too, isn't it?”

“Yeah. Why me? There's at least five other guys in that marina who look better than me, and of that bunch two of them are runners. Coke mostly. I don't bust 'em because they make good connections to bigger fish. But any one of them would be better-positioned to help her, and she'd know it. Hell, she'd been tying up there for over two weeks before she came after me.”

“I got no answers for you, partner. But you'd better get your head back in our game. Trudy's gonna go bring Marty in later and he's gonna want the full report on last night.”

“Already working on it.” Sonny tapped the side of his head. “Right up here.”

“Then we're screwed. All it's gonna say is boobs, boobs, oh my God what did she just do.”

“You know what, Tubbs? You're fired. Get your ass down to traffic and write some tickets.” He was still chuckling when Rico flipped him off and headed out the door.

The ride in didn't leave Martin Castillo as tired this time, and he took that as a good sign. According to the doctors he was improving rapidly, though they still wouldn't sign off on full duty yet. Still, it felt good to be doing something other than sitting at home waiting for Trudy. Not for the first time he remembered the pain that came with the joy of being with someone.

Mindy smiled as they came through the door. “You're looking better today, captain.”

“You mean lieutenant.”

“You didn't know?” Her eyes went wide. “Oh, you wouldn't. It came in after Trudy went to get you. They're promoting you.”

The words took a moment to sink in, and even then Castillo didn't trust them. “That means a reassignment.”

“No. The chief deputy was clear on that. You are not being moved. The promotion is in line with, and I quote him, 'the joint responsibilities of your unique task force,' And he also said it's a thank you for the Maynard/Moncado thing.”

“Does anyone else know?” He looked at Trudy, extending his hand by his side and squeezing hers. He didn't care about the rank, but the additional money would be good for the pension when he finally did step away.

“Uh...they might.” Mindy blushed and looked down at her notes.

Trudy giggled. “Don't be mad, Marty. They'll just be happy for you.”

“It's not just about me. We all did that. As a task force.”

“Sure. But the leader always gets the shiny stuff first.” She kissed him on the cheek. “And it's long overdue.”

Once the conference room door opened Castillo could do nothing to quiet them. Sonny led the clapping, followed by Rico. Stan hooted from the corner, and even Randy and Dave were thumping their approval on the table. Lester just grinned, tapping his cane on the side of the table in a show of support. Finally he raised his hands. “This should be for all of you,” he said, pitching his voice to both cut through theirs and quiet them just a bit. “And I want you to know we recommended all of you for promotions as well. Lester, yours might be a bit delayed because you joined us late, but Sonny and I didn't forget about you. Dave and Randy, I've got the chief deputy looking into what he can do for you two and Mindy. None of this would have happened without your work. Soon we'll have three sergeants on the task force.” He paused, then looked at his two top detectives. “And if the department can swing it, two lieutenants.”

Sonny's face went white. “That's a command slot.”

“Normally, yes. But this is a special circumstance. This task force has produced more results in three months than OCB did in a year at its peak. And we've done it with less money overall and far less manpower. Even with the marshals helping out. So it's earned, gentlemen. Make no mistake. And if they try to pull any of you they'll be answering to both me and Chief Deputy Washington. And his superiors.” He smiled then, a real smile that stretched muscles he didn't normally use in public. “Drinks are on me tonight at The Sanctuary. Unless something breaks with the case, of course.”

It took another ten minutes, but things finally calmed down enough for the debriefing to start. Stan looked around the table. “Those mics worked pretty well. Clear, and we had good reception on the whole. I wish we could have tested the earpieces, but there're still to big to look like anything other than a hearing aid. I don't know how transmission will hold up in bad weather, and Lester and I are convinced a TV relay tower will take them down fast. But there were no comms glitches to report last night.”

“It felt like a waste to just leave me in the garage all night.” Randy chuckled. “But I get it. We had no way of knowing how that meeting would play out. And I was still close enough to respond if Stan gave the word. He was my ears.”

“I had eyes on them until Hernan took Sonny to the drug pickup.” Dave shook his head. “Too much shit in the way once they turned that corner. Still, I think he would have fallen back to the park if anything went south and I could cover the entire thing from there. Rico was never out of my sight.”

Trudy nodded. “Mindy and I weren't much use in the car, but there wasn't a good way to put us on the street without attracting attention. It was a decent compromise.”

Sonny and Rico went through their actions, and Castillo watched their faces closely. He could tell something was bothering Sonny, but that it wasn't about the operation last night. Rico seemed calm. Collected. Back to his old self, but with a hint of anger around his eyes Castillo found comforting. Tubbs was always at his best when he was nursing some of his essential anger.

When they were done he sat for a moment. Sorting both their words and how they'd said them. “Do you think he'll page?”

“I think one of them will. Likely Hernan. He likes Nicky about as much as we do, and I can't see him letting the little chump near their arms connection.” Rico held up his hands. “In the end your guess is as good as mine, lieutenant...I mean captain. That's gonna take some getting used to.” He smiled. “I think they will, but they might get spooked and bail.”

“Do we have a back-up plan?”

Sonny shook his head. “Aside from rattling Nicky's cage and seeing what falls out? Nothing aside from hoping Stan and Lester can work their magic and pull something out of thin air. We don't have any other leads in aside from Nicky and Hernan.”

“What about Louis?”

Trudy shook her head. “As far as we know he's small time in the Treys. They compartmentalize better than the Kings. He might know something about where the guns are coming from, but I doubt it.”

“I don't like it, but I don't see a choice.”

“My gut tells me Hernan's gonna call.” Rico leaned back his chair, his Armani jacket falling open and exposing the butt of the Walther at his hip. “He's got hungry eyes, and we're dangling cash in front of him. At least thirty percent and a bonus on top of that. If we're right and Doc is taking that much of the deal, they're gonna need every cent they can get.”

Castillo looked up, locking eyes with everyone at the table. “Stay on it. And congratulations to everyone on their promotions. Sonny? Rico? My office.”

Once the door closed, Castillo sat down with a sigh. “The doctors say I can return to full desk duty next week. Still no idea about the field. That will give us one more person working the streets, since Sonny won't be tied here. I'm also going to send Mindy out more. We need to have some kind of fix on Doc. Something more than we have now.” He looked directly at Sonny. “But I also need you fully engaged. Something's bothering you. What is it? The house?”

“No. That's settled and done.” Sonny leaned back and sighed. “It's that damned woman. Jenny.” He told Castillo about the night before, leaving out none of his own suspicions and fears.

“Has Trudy gotten back to you yet?”

“No. She'd just submitted the query when she left to pick you up. I'm going to check with her as soon as we're done.”

“Sort it out. I trust your judgement, but if it gets complicated let me know immediately. I need everyone in this now.”

“Copy that, captain. I'll handle it.”

“How do you feel about her, Sonny? Really.”

“That's the thing, Marty. I don't know. Rico asked me earlier, and I still can't answer it. Sometimes it feels like she's playing me, but my gut says she's not. But she's not a random hot mess that washed up by my boat, either. And I know...I need to figure it out. Believe me, I'm trying.”

“Keep me in the loop. I'd give you a day but we just don't have them now. I suspect the Treys are trying to buy more Ingrams. They have an edge now, and Double G isn't the kind to let that pass. The Kings will go on the offensive as soon as they make their own weapons buy, so the streets are about to get hot again. I'd like to pin this down before it gets out of control and Metro-Dade overreacts.”

“You think they will?”

“It's a poor neighborhood, Sonny. They'll respond with full force, destroying whatever's left there. We know what happens then.”

Sonny nodded. “The cycle continues. Except this time the police will be the target instead of Columbians.” He pursed his lips, and Castillo could tell he was thinking. “Is there a way to get them focused on the Blancos and Los Tech 9s? Especially the Blancos. They're on the ropes right now.”

“I'll suggest it. I don't know if they'll listen, but we can try.”

Sonny was still in something close to shock when they walked back out to the conference room. Lieutenant! Who the hell would have thought that? I was happy enough to get the gold badge. The thought also sent butterflies roaming through his stomach. Once the task force was done, he'd have to move to a command position. And that was worse than death as far as he was concerned.

Still... “You get anything back on that query, Sergeant Joplin?”

Trudy looked up, a mischievous glitter in her eyes. “I was about to come tell you, lieutenant.”

“Ahhh!! Don't call me that! Forget I said sergeant, ok, Trudy?”

She laughed. “Don't get all fussy on me, Crockett. It's about time is all I can say. For both of us. Anyhow, I did get something back on that guy. He's a piece of work. A couple of assault beefs that got knocked down to lesser charges, one or two collars for pot possession, and he's pinged on the Coast Guard's list as a person of interest for narcotics trafficking. If your girl's messing with him, she's messing with fire.”

“And if he's messing with Burnett?”

“He wouldn't stand a chance.” She looked up at him, concern showing in her eyes now. “Does she mean that much to you, Sonny?”

“You're the third person who's asked me that today, and I still don't have a good answer.” Sonny sighed. “Hell, I don't know. Physically we connect. But the rest? Hell, she's like some kind of zoned-out hippie half the time. Those funny cards, strange poems, she doesn't like clothes.”

“She what now?”

“I mean it, Trudy. Half the time she's naked, the other half she's about to be naked. And when she opens her mouth you never know if she's gonna start some strange hippie thing or what. But she's smuggling art, too. She's not stupid, and obviously she's good at what she does.”

“Which is the opposite of what you do.”

“I know. And that's part of it, too. I just don't know, Trudy. Do I have 'date me if you're crazy' stamped on my forehead?”

“No. But you care, Sonny. You can't hide it. And they can tell. Trust me.” She smiled. “That's how you found Caitlin, and that's how you got the courage to turn your house into a recovery center for kids. I talked to Gina last night and she told me about that. I've never heard her so excited, except for when she told me she was moving in with Stan.”

“At least Angie will have a tough partner.” Sonny smiled to ease his own doubts. “She's a tough lady, but she...”

“Lacks a certain grace? She does. But God help the person who crosses her. Gina can provide the nice face and Angie can break their balls if they mess up.”

“Something like that. But that doesn't help me with Jenny.”

“No, but it might be a start. It's something only you can figure out, Sonny. But now you have an idea of what kind of trouble she might be facing.”

“Yeah.” He smiled again. “Thanks, Trudy. Guess I've got some work to do.” Sonny shook his head and headed for the office he shared with Tubbs. With Castillo back it just felt more natural to go back to the old routine. “A lot of damned work,” he muttered as he slumped in his chair.

“Boss?”

Earl Lester Holmes looked up from the sports section, a scowl fixed on his face. “How the hell did the Dolphins manage to lose again? Anyhow, what the hell do you want, Benny?”

“Two things. I sent Rickey and his crew to close the MAC-10 deal with the Treys. Simple cash on the table, and you said they could handle that without help.”

“Just count the damned money when they get back. If it's light, shoot Rickey in the right knee. No, make that the left knee. He needs his right to drive the damned truck. Be good to get those off our hands, truth be told.” Holmes folded the paper so only the football box scores showed. “What else you got?”

“The Kings called again. They got the money for the Tech 9s. Cash on the barrelhead. But they also said they got some Yankee who's wantin' to talk guns. I told 'em I'd have to check him out first. Says his name's Cooper. That's the one you mentioned, right, boss?”

“It is, Benny. Glad you remembered the name.” Holmes looked across the table, box scores forgotten. “Did they want to bring him to the meet?”

“I think so, boss. They didn't say it plain, but you could hear it in their damned voices.”

“Two birds, one stone.” Holmes did some thinking, reaching out and finding his beer had gone warm. “Grab me a cold one, would you? I can't think with this warm piss on my tongue.” He waited until Benny came back from the bar and took a good, long drink. The cold Bud ran down his throat and got his thoughts moving again. “That's a damned sight better. Look, Benny. That plan from before? It's still good. When you meet with them, having the boys hidin' in the barn with that surprise we talked about. Odds are you won't need it. They want their Tech 9s too Goddamned bad. But there's one change. I'm going with you.”

“Boss?”

He saw the hurt in the man's slow eyes. “Benny, I ain't that I don't trust you. I do trust you. But I want to see this Cooper with my own eyes. And if he's one of those Federals, I want to see him die with my own eyes. You can bet if he's there Burnett will show up, too. Same goes for him. I got a vague memory of him runnin' with that limp-dick Kern a few years back, but that ain't neither here nor there. A lot can change in a man, and he's been keepin' some questionable company. But from what I hear he gets the job done, and if he keeps workin' with Cooper that says something. Or they're both Federals, in which case we make the word a better place and blow them out of it.”

“I gotcha boss. Good plan.” Benny smiled, his ego soothed for now. “You want me to warn the boys?”

“Yeah, but don't move a thing until you hear back from those damned wetbacks.” Holmes looked down, remembering the paper and the five large he had on the Pittsburgh game. Only a moron bet for the Dolphins these days. “Either we're gonna make us some new rich friends or we'll get to shoot us some Federals. Either way it'll be a good day.”

Carlos was out on the restaurant floor when Leo came in, and he waved his right hand to the back office. “Tell me you got good news.”

“The Treys just closed on the MAC-10s. They're ready to rock and roll.” Leo shook his head. “The Kings say they're getting close to closing on theirs. That deal last night went down without a hitch. Although I did hear from a little bird that Hernan might be cutting them in on the arms deal. Introducing Cooper to that redneck son of a bitch.”

“So he's getting greedy.” Doc shook his head, looking at the sun slanting through partly-closed window blinds. “I always knew he was an idiot.”

“I'd say so.”

“This little bird wouldn't happen to be named Nicky, would it?”

“No. His muscle. Big idiot named Jimmy.” Leo chuckled. “I'm banging his girl and he's none the wiser. But he likes to brag to her, and she talks to me. This Cooper made noise about needing guns and a finder's fee and Hernan jumped all over it like a stay dog on raw meat.”

“Have they met yet?”

“She didn't think so. The Kings had to arrange it.”

“First he runs his mouth to his cousin, and now this.” Carlos looked down, thinking back to another man who'd gotten greedy. And the one before him. “I think another message needs to be sent. Are you up for it?”

“Hell yes. I never liked Hernan anyhow.” Leo looked across the desk. “When do you want it done?”

“How soon will you know if they've set up a meet with Holmes?”

“Hard to say. Likely within an hour of the call. Not before you know, though.”

Carlos smiled. He did have communication with Holmes from time to time, but not about things like this. “Does Hernan go to these meetings?”

“He hasn't before. He might go with Cooper, though.”

“Not this time. Have Louis call him with an excuse. Send a hooker after him. Anything to get him to stay behind. Once they're committed to the meeting, send the message. Same as before.”

“Consider it done, boss. You think the Kings will kick?”

“If they have their Tech 9s I don't think they'll notice. Hernan was on his way out, and if they find out he has ties to Louis they'll be quick to disavow him.”

Leo nodded. “I'll get it done, Doc.” He laughed on his way out the door. “Maybe the Kings will send Nicky and his pet ape and tie that off for us, too. I can't see those two getting close to that crew of rednecks without pissing one of them off and getting shot. Or maybe Burnett will do us the favor.”

Left with his own thoughts, Carlos tried to think a few moves ahead. The Kings were almost fatally weakened now, even with Tech 9s. Their rank and file were in disarray, their dealers scattered or jumping ship to the Treys or anyone else who both supply and protect them. And that meant it was time for him to move away from them as well, no matter the outcome of their fight with the Columbians. Maybe it was time to start gathering intel on this Teddy Prentiss. Another dealer, especially one far from his base of operations, was never a bad thing. Especially a dealer who understood and was content with his place in the food chain.

But this wasn't a job for Leo. Leo was his blunt instrument, the man he used to send messages and keep order. This was more for Juan. Where Leo was blunt, Juan was low-key. He had contacts ranging through many neighborhoods in Miami, reaching into places Leo couldn't go because of his reputation or skin color. Juan's mother had been black, so he could pass in any of the neighborhoods with meaning to Carlos. Reaching out, he picked up the field phone. “I need a full workup on Teddy Prentiss. Might be Jamaican. I know he's dealt in pot before. As soon as you can.”

She was waiting for him when he got back to the marina to change before meeting the rest of the task force at The Sanctuary, but on Vellamo instead of inviting herself on board his boat. That, Sonny decided as he acknowledged her wave, was progress of a sort. At least for today.

“I wasn't sure if I'd see you,” she said, that same white shirt unbottoned and draping down from her shoulders. He could see bikini bottoms, but the dark circles showing through told him all he needed to know about the top. “I just...”

“It's ok, darlin'.” He took her in his arms just to keep the shirt on for now. No reason to give the old guy down in slip 17 another heart attack. “Let's go below and I'll tell you what I found out. I can't stay long. Got a business thing in a bit over an hour. But you need to know.”

She listened as he spun what he'd learned from Trudy, nodding from time to time. “None of that surprises me. He could be rough...mean when he felt like it. With no warning. And his friends...I never liked any them. I really thought I'd gotten away from him when I bought Vellamo and left Lauderdale.”

“So why keep running? You're in the same line of work. Sooner or later you had to know you'd run into him again.”

“I wasn't thinking that far ahead.” She giggled and looked away. “That's always been one of my problems, at least if you ask my father. Anyhow, it's what I know and some of the people are really kind. I just thought, or hoped, he'd stick to drugs and stay out of my trade.”

“If he was looking for you he'd know exactly where to go.”

“I know. Well, now I know.” She smiled and then looked up at him. “I can be really silly sometimes, you know.”

“Really?”

“Don't make fun, Sonny. Look...I don't know what you do and I don't want to know. Really. If you can't help, that's fine. Just say so and I can move on someplace else.” She let the shirt fall open. “But I don't want to. That's the problem. Usually I just weigh anchor and sail away. But I don't want to sail away now.”

“What do you want, Jenny? I mean, really? I can get this guy off your back, but what after that?”

“Does it have to be so complicated?”

“Yes.” He let his voice be Burnett hard for a second. “Sometimes it does. My life is complicated, Jenny. I can't get around that. I wish it could be simple, but it's not. Like I said, I can make Donnie go away. That's the simple part. The hard part is what comes after that.”

She sighed and rested her head in his lap. “Why can't it just be like this?”

“Because it's not real, darlin'. There's what comes after. I've tried getting away from that, and you can't do it.”

She was quiet for a time, and for a moment he thought she was falling asleep. Then she stirred. “What do you want to know?”

“About what?”

“About me.”

“Can you stop smuggling?”

“Yes.” Her voice was small. “It meant the world to me once, but it doesn't now.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I know I can.” Her fingers fumbled with his slacks. “For you I can.”

“But can you stay done with it?”

“Yes. I don't need the money, Sonny.” Her fingers reached their goal. “It's never been about the money.”

“Why me? What drew you to me? There's at least five other guys in the marina who look better.”

“Because.” She was quiet for a time. “Because we are meant for each other. I knew it the first time I saw you. I had to be sure, so I waited. I saw those other men. They didn't do a thing for me. Then I was sure.”

Part of him wanted to get up and leave right then, slacks be damned. But there was another part that kept whispering she was right. He tried to fight it, to chalk it down to what she was doing right now and nothing more. But he couldn't. It was the same kind of thing he'd felt when he met Caitlin. A pull. Something he couldn't put into words but was as real as a slug from his .45 and just as powerful. Then just as suddenly as she'd started, she stopped.

“You'd better get ready for that business thing.” She smiled up at him. “I'll be waiting for you when you're done. Don't drink too much.” She licked her lips, and her eyes glittered with a light he hadn't seen there before. “You know I'm right, don't you? About us?”

“Yes.” The word jumped out before he could stop it, but he knew there was no point. “I do. I'll see you tonight, Jenny. And then it's your turn.”

Sonny found the rest of the task force at their usual table in the back, and resigned himself to not only buying a round but being the butt of every bad joke for at least ten minutes. He was surprised to see Robbie at the table, and even more when he saw the bright eyes and dark hair of Julia. “We managed to con her mother into babysitting,” Robbie explained with a grin when he saw Sonny's expression. “We don't get out as much as we should and she wanted to see you.”

“Julia! Lovely as ever. I'm surprised you keep putting up with this bozo.”

Julia smiled, and Sonny had a good idea what was coming next. “I'm surprised he keeps putting up with me. And how did you sneak away from your blonde mermaid?”

Rico shrugged. “What can I say? She threatened me.”

Castillo looked...happy. It almost floored Sonny to see so much joy on Marty's face. “We saved you a seat,” he announced, pointing to a spot next to Dave. “We figured you'd be safer next to Dave.”

“About time you got here, Crockett.” Gina stuck her head around Stan's big shoulders and waved. “I need another drink. And you big spenders are buying for the poor sergeants tonight.” Then her tone softened. “I'm glad you had Angie call me. We talked for over an hour. I've already got some candidates for her.”

“Good. Now if we can just get the poor girl over here the next two rounds are on me.”

Julia frowned. “If you think any of you are paying for anything tonight...”

“Call it a tip, then. We'll be working those poor girls hard, Julia.”

“Sounds fair to me.” Julia laughed and kissed Robbie on the cheek. “We should have done this weeks ago, Robbie.”

Castillo shot Tubbs a meaningful stare. “Don't forget that pager.”

“I won't. It's right here. And I'm sticking with beer tonight, captain. Just in case one of those little chumps pages.”

“And I've got to, too. The mermaid's orders.”

Robbie looked over at him. “You get that one figured out yet?”

“Maybe. I don't know for sure. But maybe.” Sonny gave a weak smile.

“Let me guess. You were made for each other.”

“How the hell...”

“You got that look on your face, man. Same one I saw you with outside that strip club at Camp Lejune.”

Sonny shot a look at Julia, who was laughing with Mindy about something. “Be very glad she's here, buddy.”

“Oh, I am.” Robbie laughed. “Trust me. I am. But that's what she said, right?”

“More or less.”

“Ya gotta be careful with that one. I heard it before, too. Only the last time was from Julia. The time that mattered.” He raised his glass. “Sometimes it's a false alarm and other times it's true. You just gotta figure out which one this is.”

Sonny raised his beer bottle. “Amen to that.” He nodded toward Castillo and Trudy. “Like those two.”

“Man, I don't even try to figure that one out. Stan and Gina, sure. Two good people who finally found each other. But those two? Shit. It's above my pay grade.”

“Mine, too. Never seen anything like it.”

Robbie nodded. “I think we should be glad we did, though.”

“I think you're right.” Sonny was starting to enjoy the way the beer felt on his tongue. Not sharp like bourbon and more gentle in its warming. Two more and he'd be good to go, so long as some food appeared.

A burst of noise from across the table got his attention. Gina started squealing, nodding and then crying. Trudy was hugging her, and Stan looked like he'd been caught with his hand the cookie jar. Or... “Stan! You sly dog!” Sonny raised his bottle and laughed. “Congratulations, both of you!”

Rico looked up. “What the hell did I just miss?”

“Unless I miss my guess, and I've been through it twice, Stan just proposed and Gina said yes.”

All Stan could do was nod. Lester slapped him on the back, not caring that bits of his cast were flaking off on the table. Gina and Trudy were still hugging, joined by Julia and Mindy in a sort of strange girl huddle. Randy and Dave shook their heads, motioning for more drinks at almost the same instant. And Robbie...all Robbie could do was look at Sonny and laugh. “Looks like I got another damned party to plan for.” He turned when a nearby customer grumbled. “Complain all you want. It's my damned club.”

Sonny recognized the mood. “I got this, Robbie. Stan looks like he could use another drink, though.” Once Robbie was distracted, he turned to the grumbling man and turned on his full Burnett ice-cold stare. “You don't want to make this worse.”

The man, bulky from too much time at the gym and not enough oxygen to his brain, started to move and then stopped. Seeing the finality in Sonny's eyes. “No, man. Like he said, it's his club. I'm cool. It's cool.”

“Good choice. Now go be cool somewhere else.” Sonny held his look until the man stepped back almost twenty feet. Then he turned back to the table. Better me than Marty he reasoned, lifting his beer to join in one of the toasts going around the table. Hell, better me than anyone else here. That guy would be so pulped they'd have to bury him in a Baggie and there'd be room to spare.

It was almost midnight before he could pry himself away from the table. The punk was long gone, and Robbie and Julia had headed out a few minutes before. “The mother-in-law's only cooperative for so long,” Robbie announced with a grin. “Best wishes, you two.” Then he turned to Sonny, clapping an arm around his shoulder. “Figure your lady out, Sonny. And if it's real, I want to be there this time.”

“You will if it's real, Robbie. That's a promise.” Sonny watched his friends go, then finished his beer and caught Castillo's attention across the table. “Marty, I...”

“Do what you have to do. I've got this.” Castillo smiled, raising his club soda. “Doctors won't let me drink, but they can't stop me from having fun.”

Before he left, Sonny made sure to lean across to Gina. She was still beaming and crying from too much joy and likely too many margaritas. “Gina, I want to wish you and Stan the absolute best. You're both great people and really deserve each other.”

“Thanks, Sonny.” She smiled, and tears started flowing again. “That means so much coming from you.”

He smiled, not sure if she was making fun or not. Hell, she's too blasted to know if she's making fun or not. Stan just beamed and nodded, raising his own bottle in silent salute. They were close enough now no words were needed, a far cry from where they'd been when he left OCB after Costa Morada.

He turned to say goodby to Rico, but saw him deep in conversation with Mindy. Catching Randy's eye, he shrugged and flashed a thumb's up. Randy nodded, winking. “Marty and I'll make sure they get home, boss. Even Dave.” He looked over at the sniper, who was busy building a pyramid with empty old fashioned glasses and explaining to a waitress why it was an exact replica of King Tut's tomb.

Sonny saw Debbie on the way out and smiled an apology. “If they get to be too much, just let Marty or Randy know. They'll move 'em out.” Reaching into his wallet, he pulled out three one hundred dollar bills. “I know Robbie said the drinks were covered, but consider this our tip. Sorry about the mess.”

“You guys are fine. At least no one's grabbing our asses or being total jerks.” She smiled. “That Dave's actually really sweet.”

Sonny filed the comment away for later. He smiled again and heading out into the cooling evening. And only then did it really hit him. Stan and Gina were getting married.

The drive back to the marina was filled with so many conflicting thoughts Sonny could barely focus on the road. He and Gina had their time, of course, but those days were long gone. He'd moved on at least a year before she finally realized it, and of course there was Caitlin putting a period on the whole thing. His relationship with Stan had always been complicated, made worse by his own behavior leading up to the murder of Larry and his whole obsessive slide into what became the Burnett affair. Still, he'd always known Stan had a big heart, and he couldn't think of anyone he'd rather see Gina with. The big guy was many things, but he'd never hurt her and he'd support her in anything she decided to do with her life. He knew he could never have said the same.

The marina lot was dark, and no one was out when he parked the Ferrari and started the walk down the dock. A lone candle flickered in one of the saloon ports on Vellamo, where he knew she was waiting. Robbie's words kept echoing in his mind as he walked, feeling the cooling breeze lift under his blazer. But how the hell do you know it's true before it's too late to run if it's not? He'd always had trouble with that part.

She was sitting at the table belowdeck, a light blue silk shirt thrown over her shoulders. “Did you have a good time?” There was no resentment in her voice, which surprised him. She genuinely wanted to know. It reminded him of Caitlin. Caroline would have had the sarcasm dripping from the ceiling by now.

“Yeah, I actually did. You know how work things are. At least no one started a fight, and we even had some good news come out of it.” He sat down on the settee, feeling relaxed and not on edge from the beer.

“It was nice for me, too. It gave me time to think.” She turned to him and smiled, touching his shoulder with her long fingers. “About lots of things. Some simple, and some complicated.”

He nodded, enjoying the way the silk slid across her shoulders and chest. Almost like water flowing back and forth over polished tan stones. “Make sense of any of it?”

“I think so.” Her eyes were fixed on his face, and he felt like she was trying to memorize every line, every contour. “I know I don't want to leave here. Or to leave you. And if that means stopping my business, I will.”

“It has to. What you do and what I do don't mix.” He smiled, leaning down and kissing her. “I wish there was another way...”

“If there's not, there's not. It's just things. One thing I learned doing that is things are easy to come by. People aren't. I used to think it was the other way. Maybe I hadn't met the right people. Or person.”

“I can get rid of Westbrook for you. It'll take a few days, but it can happen. I'll need to know about his routes, his patterns. Little thing you know that no one else might.”

“That's for later.” She kept staring into his eyes, almost like she was afraid he'd disappear if she blinked. “What I need to know is if I made the right decision.”

“Yes.” His answer surprised him, but it also didn't. “I can't give up what I do, Jenny. It's part of me. For too long it's been all I had.” He thought of Trudy and Castillo and shook his head. “No, I can't say that. I can step back from it, but it will take time.”

“I know. You have to be moving, Sonny. Always moving. You showed me how complex can become simple. I can show you how to slow down. We can learn together.” She let the shirt slide off her shoulders. “I'm sorry...I thought I'd be better at this. It's all new to me.”

“It's ok, darlin'. Love is simple and complex at the same time. I've...” His voice trailed off. “I've been down that road a few times.”

“She was beautiful. I saw the picture on your boat. And the ring. I...”

“It's ok.” He was repeating himself, but he didn't care. “You can ask. She was killed. It's been a few years now. After that, I never though I'd feel it again.”

“What?”

“What I feel right now.” Leaning forward, he took her in his arms and kissed her. She responded with a passion that found echo in his own, growing and building as they touched. Later neither of them could remember who'd said 'I love you' first or when, but they knew it was that night.

That was really good! Thanks for all this hard work. I'm enjoying it!

• Thanks 1

Even though I cheated and read the end before finishing up everything in order, I really enjoyed this!  Loved the way you tied up some of the loose ends--although I do think maybe Sonny has an invisible ink tattoo that says "Date me if you're crazy", :).  And it was sweet that you gave him and Gina a moment to talk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Even though I cheated and read the end before finishing up everything in order, I really enjoyed this!  Loved the way you tied up some of the loose ends--although I do think maybe Sonny has an invisible ink tattoo that says "Date me if you're crazy", :).  And it was sweet that you gave him and Gina a moment to talk.

This ain't the end...not quite yet.

But if you look at the series, Sonny clearly had a thing for troubled women, and he drew them to him like nobody's business. Jenny's got her issues, but I think she knows who she is (even if it's spacey as hell sometimes) and doesn't really pretend otherwise, unlike quite a few of the women he got involved with. And she's not a junkie, which is a plus one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vicegirl85 said:

So glad there's more!  And yes, he definitely had a thing for troubled women!

Got a few more parts to go. Three...maybe four depending.

• Like 1