Top Gun: Maverick (2020)

Marc

Tom's got a good / mixed track record lately with only the Mummy and Jack Reacher sequel being duds.

I would've liked the cinematography to be more reminiscent of the Tony Scott original. 

• Like 1

I am very interested but I sure miss the F14 Tomcat.

It seems like all of these years later sequels make a lot of callbacks, such as the Kawasaki Ninja making another appearance.

Edited by IA-SteveB

• Administrators

I heard Val Kilmer was originally supposed to be in it but he got really sick with cancer. Haven't done any googling on this to see if he's in the cast. I'll end up watching it just because of the first one but Tom has definitely fallen out of favor with me since his Scientology weird crap he's pulled. 

Sequels rarely rank as good as the original but there are a few exceptions. T2 is one that does it for me.

2 hours ago, timm525 said:

Sequels rarely rank as good as the original but there are a few exceptions. T2 is one that does it for me.

Agreed!

I think Aliens was even better than Alien and The Godfather II as well.  Lots of people say the same about The Empire Strikes Back too.  I’m not convinced it was better but it was at least as good.  The same with T2.  I’ll have to think about other sequels.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

I am very interested but I sure miss the F14 Tomcat.

It seems like all of these years later sequels make a lot of callbacks, such as the Kawasaki Ninja making another appearance.

you can still console yourself with this https://store.steampowered.com/app/411893/DCS_F14_by_Heatblur_Simulations/ :)

sequels sometimes are really bad, but sometimes you have good surprises too. 2nd Bladerunner was a masterpiece. Dumbo 2 was great too.

anyways thanks Marc for posting. sounds interesting

Edited by jpm1

vor 22 Stunden schrieb timm525:

I heard Val Kilmer was originally supposed to be in it but he got really sick with cancer. Haven't done any googling on this to see if he's in the cast. I'll end up watching it just because of the first one but Tom has definitely fallen out of favor with me since his Scientology weird crap he's pulled. 

He is in it and he recovered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I read an article about Kelly McGillis not even being asked to participate.  She doesn't care but I think it would have been neat.  Not as a love interest...  They will probably have a hot young scientologist for that role.

Edited by IA-SteveB

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, IA-SteveB said:

I read an article about Kelly McGillis not even being asked to participate.  She doesn't care but I think it would have been neat.  Not as a love interest...  They will probably have a hot young scientologist for that role.

I read that Jennifer Connelly is the is the love interest in Maverick. 

Cruise sucks as Reacher methinks. Maverick, however, is another kettle of fish all together.

Trailer looks good and I can't wait to see the real thing

-J