Echoes - Conclusion

Robbie C.

Castillo turned a page in the file. He could feel the old, familiar anger building up but kept it under tight control. Now wasn't the time. “You were right to think of this, Rico.”

“Was there something there?”

“Yes. CID doesn't use as big a black pen as the Company. There's a report here by one of their field agents documenting an interview he had with a member of 'another government agency,' which usually means the CIA. This agent tried to claim CID was interfering in an ongoing operation. They didn't believe him, but the interview was in 1972. The last combat troops were leaving the country, and CID was overtasked dealing with that.”

“I don't follow.”

“The agent's name was Menton.”

“That cat you almost killed back in OCB?”

Castillo nodded, only just trusting his voice. “Yes.”

“How the hell...”

“Menton was his connection to the China White. And probably how he got back to the States without triggering any alerts. False passports are a currency in his world.”

Sonny glared at the map. “We just can't get away from that bastard and his legacy, can we?”

“Maybe we will this time. I don't think he's involved in what this Delgado is doing now, but we can even it up for what he did in Saigon.” Castillo thought back to his liaison work in the Delta and the capital city. All the GIs he'd seen strung out on heroin. How deeply the trade was imbedded in Soul Alley and some of the other deserter enclaves in the city. He hadn't been able to make a dent then, in part because of people like Menton and in part because it wasn't his job. Now Menton was in prison and it was his job. His only job. Turning, he looked at Mindy. “Good work getting this file. Did Dave and Randy report in before they went home? Good move telling them to get some sleep. We'll need them tonight.”

The redhead nodded, blushing at the praise. “Thanks, captain. They left a full report and updated the map with sightings. It looks like Doc...I want to keep calling him that, sorry, doesn't go out at night unless he's checking the lines. The restaurant closed at eight, and the last of the staff left by eight-thirty. They spotted what looked like two, maybe three people moving around inside. Doc had one visitor just before close. They thought he looked Puerto Rican, and he stayed a bit after the staff left.”

“Probably Doc's other hand.” Sonny shook his head. “Let's just keep calling this punk Doc. It's how we know him, and how we'll end him.”

Castillo nodded. He didn't want to dignify the man with his real name. It seemed better to use the name the street had hung around his neck. “We go tonight. At 2100. After the staff have cleared the area. Tell the warrant team I want them here for a pre-launch briefing no later than 1800. We need to have them up to speed before we run through any paper drills.” He looked at Mindy. “I understand they are good at their jobs. But I want them to be familiar with my people and our methods. And that this won't be a normal warrant raid.”

Sonny nodded, looking through the folder. “I think we can expect some booby traps in here, Marty. Doc has a thing for them. I know we said that before, but it bears repeating. We're going in at night, and it'll be dark. It's hard enough to see a tripwire in the middle of the day, let alone in a dark hallway with shadows and who knows what kind of crap in the way.”

In the following silence, Castillo made a decision. It went against medical advice, but he didn't care. “I'll be with you on this raid. I'll keep toward the back so I don't slow anyone down, but I have to be here.”

Sonny nodded. “With Menton in the mix, no matter how far back? I'd agree with that, Marty.” He looked over at Trudy. “You'll be next in line with him, Trudy. Don't worry.”

Castillo looked at Sonny and nodded his silent thanks. “That's all for now. We'll meet back here at 1730, so we have half an hour to get things in order before the warrant team arrives. We'll need to be moving no later than 2030 so we can be in position to execute the raid. I'm also going to see if they have a team on hand to hit the warehouse right after we go in. No one walks away from this one.”

Part of Sonny wanted to leave the building. To go spend a few hours with Jenny before the raid. But he knew he couldn't. As the operational commander he had to plan the raid, to go through and coordinate the moving pieces as much as possible and then stand back and hope it all worked once the bullets started flying.

He cornered Dave and Randy as soon as they came in. “We go tonight at 2100. I'll need you guys somewhere where you can provide overwatch of the building. Use the M-21s just in case it gets loud and we need firepower.”

“It's not far out enough to need the bolt guns.” Randy nodded his agreement. “And we'll use a spot near where we did the surveillance. Not the same one, cause you never use the same hide twice.”

“Good. Will you be at the 1730 or 1800 briefings?”

“Likely not. We gotta get in position and then let things quiet down. We've worked with those teams before, though, so we know how they roll.”

“Good. I'll let them know we have snipers in position.” Sonny grinned. “We're closing this bastard out tonight, gents.”

“Last thing we need is another news story about some psycho vet dealing smack.” Dave snorted. “The quieter this is, the better.”

“Castillo agrees. And Army CID wants this bastard, too. I have a feeling he'll disappear into the Federal prison system before you can blink.”

“Assuming he comes out alive.”

“That's true. Robbie and I had to go after deserters a time or two and it was always a gamble. You never knew if they'd give it up or try to take you and them out with a frag.”

Randy slapped Sonny on the shoulder, a huge display of affection from the otherwise taciturn sniper. “You be careful in there, boss. The captain too. It would suck to have to break in a new boss.”

“I'm always careful. Just like you two.”

Dave chuckled. “Then we're all screwed. And us without GI life insurance this time around.”

Rico watched them go. “I'm glad they're on our side.”

“You and me both, Rico.” Sonny looked at the map. “You want to give me a hand running through this? We'll have to adjust once we meet that team and understand its capabilities, but I'd like to have at least a sketch to hand them so we don't look like total assholes.”

There were five men on the high-risk warrant team; all big, burly guys in jeans and a variety of t-shirts wearing ballistic vests with 'Marshal' printed on them in white letters. All looked to be former military of one stripe or another, and walked with the quiet confidence of men who'd done this before and would do it again before the week was over. But they didn't have the SWAT arrogance, which Sonny found refreshing. He'd hated worked with them because it was always their way or no way. This team walked in and the leader turned to Castillo. “We're here to help, captain. Just tell us the score and we'll fit in where we know we can help.”

Castillo nodded. “I'm still on limited duty, so Lieutenant Crockett has operational command.”

The team leader nodded. “You're the one who got shot by Maynard, right? Hell...it's good to see you walking and ready to fight after a hit like that.” Then he turned to Crockett. “Where do you need us?”

“You guys are the entry experts. My team's mostly narcotics in background, with a heavy undercover focus. We'll stay out of your way and support where we can.” Sonny pointed to the photos and sketches of the building. “This restaurant's the target. Our sniper team did a visual recon last night. They're in position again right now, so we'll have top cover the whole way in. Comms are also provided by us. Those two” - he pointed to Stan and Lester - “run the show and are experts at what they do. We'll be connected the entire time.”

“So what do we know about the target?”

“We think there will be a maximum of five, maybe six people inside. All hostile. Our overwatch will verify when the last worker leaves. The primary target is Carlos Delgado.” He handed photos around. “Street name is Doc. He's a long-term heroin dealer, going back to Saigon in the late 1960s. He's killed before and will do so again. He's also got a fondness for booby traps, mostly trip-wire grenades. The building has two stories, and we expect the bulk of the traps will be on the second floor and routes leading to it.”

The team leader, who went by the nickname Brick for reasons Crockett found obvious, nodded. “Securing his line of retreat. Makes sense.”

“We haven't been able to do an interior recon. We want to get this guy before he smells a rat and disappears. But we did find floorplans from a renovation about ten years back when he expanded the restaurant. We don't think anything's changed since then. He's got an office on the ground floor with a private staircase leading up. There's a second staircase here and another here.” He pointed to them on the sketch. “Our shooters can cover the exits and the roof, so he's go nowhere to go once we come in.”

Brick nodded, and turned to his team. “We'll breach as usual, with the task force personnel in the back of the stack.” He looked around. “No offense, but we have our drills.”

“None taken.” Rico chuckled. “We'll just stay out of your way and cover your backs.”

“That's actually a great help. We worry most about missing someone and having them pop up behind us.” Brick turned back to business. “Breach doors with distance because of the potential for booby traps. That means shotgun slugs, not the ram. And don't go kicking any doors. I don't want to have to explain to the chief deputy why someone lost a leg.” Sonny watched with growing admiration as they 'moved' through the map, planning each door and staircase as if they were already there.

“The stairs will be the biggest challenge, because we can't hit them at the same time.” Brick looked around. “Any ideas?”

Castillo spoke up. “My mobility's limited. Trudy and I can stay by the main door. That covers all staircases except the one in the office. If you hit it, when can catch anyone coming down. I think his first reaction is going to be to fight, not run, so any danger to us is limited.”

“You'll have shotguns, then. In addition to the pistols. You can pin them until we can flank them.”

Sonny nodded. “We'll go through it on paper a couple more times, and then it's equipment check. We need to be in position before 2100.”

Brick nodded. “We're got a second team set to hit that warehouse just after we go in. The chief deputy wants to make sure we get everything. Just like you asked, captain.”

“Good. Switek, pass the word as soon as we breach. Even if Doc gets off a call it will be too late.”

The drive over was silent, each member of the task force lost in their own thoughts. Sonny and Rico had changed into jeans and t-shirts to blend in with the rest of the team, and Rico kept casting admiring glances at Mindy and her jeans.

“Go easy there, pal.” Sonny laughed. “You're gonna need to be able to stand up once we get in position.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Rico looked around the back of the van. “You ever been on one of these before?”

“Not really. Only when we worked with SWAT at OCB. You?”

“Once or twice before that in New York. We'll call in NYPD's version to deal with some of the more aggressive robbery crews. But never anything this intense.”

“Yeah.” Sonny looked around. Most of the entry team were listening to music on headphones or working wads of Copenhagen. “They are some serious dudes.”

The van slowed to a crawl and then stopped. “We're here,” Brick whispered through the opening to the driver's compartment. From the outside the van looked like just another junker that should have a 'free candy' sign taped to the windowless doors. The kind of rig that didn't draw a first glance in a neighborhood like this. Sonny was once again impressed by the level of preparation he kept seeing. “Five minutes until go.”

The big Smith & Wesson rested in his shoulder rig, and he touched the cool stainless steel frame as part of his ritual reassurance. He saw Tubbs doing the same thing with the Walther. They'd both declined larger arms, though he did notice Rico had his shorty pump Mossberg on a combat sling under his arm. “Just in case,” he muttered when he caught Sonny's eye.

Sonny had always been a pistol guy. He pulled out the 4506-1, checking the loaded magazine and the two in the right-side pouches under his arm. The safety was still on, and he'd leave it that way until just before they went in. It was routine, just like checking his helmet straps and pads had been before a game, or going over his web gear before moving out on some assignment or another in Vietnam. They had a way of forcing him to focus on the moment, pushing fears and worries aside until later. After the shooting stopped.

His earpiece chirped to life. They were running on a frequency Stan assured them Doc couldn't monitor, but transmissions were limited until everything kicked off. After that it didn't matter. “Eagle's Nest. Fledglings clear. Only chickenhawks remain.”

Rico chuckled. “Leave it to Randy...”

In the passenger seat, Brick looked at his watch. “One minute. Move out.”

The rear doors opened and the team flowed out like unleashed water. Sonny and Rico followed, trailed by Mindy, Trudy, and then Castillo. They moved in a silent column, shadows chasing shadows, to the side door they'd selected as the entry point. Unlike the front, no big windows overlooked it and the light above the door hadn't worked for over a decade. Brick took the lead, his shotgun already loaded in the van so there would be no noise. Looking back, he made eye contact with every person in the stack, waiting for their nod before he raised three fingers, then two, then one. When he made a fist he looked away and blew the knob into the building with a blast from the shotgun. “U.S. Marshals. Search warrant! Show me your hands!”

In the back office, Carlos was in the middle of saying something to Leo when his world exploded around him. He recognized the shotgun blast, and came out of his chair in an instant. “Get those cats and hold then down here!” he shouted, yanking the .45 from his waistband. “I'm going up. Once the boys are in place, follow me up and hook up the egg. You ain't up in three minutes don't open that door!”

Sonny came through the door behind the last entry team member, his pistol up and tracking, dipping any time his line of sight crossed one of the marshals. A door flew open to his left, but before he could move the marshal just in front of him triggered his shotgun and the man's pistol went one way and his shattered body another, almost cut in half by the twelve gauge at point-blank range. The marshal moved through the door, sweeping his weapon one way while Sonny followed and swept the other side of the store room. He shook his head and the marshal shouted “One is clear,” before flowing back into the hall and continuing his pattern.

It was hard to keep pace as they flowed from room to room. A pistol popped somewhere near where Sonny figured the kitchen was, followed by three rapid shots from a .45 and another shouted “Clear.” Then the stack reformed in front of the office door and Brick repeated his finger count. The shotgun roared, and the knob disappeared in a shower of splinters. This time it was answered by pistol shots, and the marshals flowed through the doorway breaking right and left in sequence, weapons blazing toward the center of the room. The roar of gunfire and expanding muzzle flashes left Sonny dazed for an instant, and when his vision cleared he saw a torn body tossed across the desk like it had been mangled and left there by some kind of huge animal.

Brick staggered and looked down at his vest. “Damn. That shit smarts. Tiny, take lead.”

“You got it,” said Tiny, who easily stood six feet six and had shoulders more massive than Brick's. He scooped up the shotgun in a huge paw. “You say this guy likes grenades?”

Sonny nodded. “Yeah. Killed more than a few rivals with frags in Nam according the report.”

“Stand back.” Once the team cleared the room, he ducked behind the desk and held the shotgun over his head. “Fire in the hole!” The shot hit the door, and the frame exploded outward as if it had been hit by a bomb. Wood chips and splinters flew through the air, and Tiny shook his head from behind his cover. “Well, shit. That was a frag. No doubt about it.”

“That means the bastard's upstairs.” Sonny looked up the narrow staircase. It was dark all the way to the top, and then shadows played where moonlight played through dirty windows. “He's got a cot in the corner, so he doesn't sleep up there.”

Brick looked over at Sonny. “Worth trying to talk him out?”

“He's been on the run since 1969.”

“Guess that answers that question, then.” He keyed his radio. “Any word from the other team?”

“Negative.” Stan's voice came back loud and clear. “They went in, and report encountering some resistance. They're clearing now.”

“Copy that. Eagle's Nest. Anything?”

“Negative. No lights on the second floor, so we can't see any movement. He's up there, but he's not doing jumping jacks in front of the windows.”

“Copy.” He looked at Sonny. “It's you call, boss.”

“I'm going up.” He turned to Brick. “My boss will want to, but don't let him. He's still hurting from that gunshot wound.”

“Copy that. You want any help?”

Rico nodded. “I'm going with him.”

Tiny stood up. “Always wanted a threesome. I'll go along if you guys want some company. I got some EOD training back when I was Army, so I ain't just good to look at.”

Sonny nodded his thanks. “Use the rest of your men to set up containment. If he tries to run, I don't want him to have anyplace to go.”

Rico shook his head when he was close to Sonny. “EOD?”

“Explosive ordnance disposal. Think of him as a big, cuddly bomb sniffing dog.” Sonny grinned and looked over at Tiny. “I'll lead up the stairs. I don't think he's got them rigged, but any doors upstairs likely are.”

“And that's why this scattergun has this pretty little flashlight. I'll check doors visually while you two watch my back. He'll need to have at least an inch of line on any frags tied to the doors. Otherwise they go off too soon. I'll be able to see it and cut it.” Tiny chuckled. “And don't step in any rugs or loose boards. Pressure plates suck ass, and they usually go boom.”

Rico swallowed. “Anyone ever tell you that you got a strange sense of humor?”

“Sure, but I don't let it get in the way.” Tiny chuckled. “We ready to go now?”

Sonny nodded and started up the stairs. His ears were clearing from the gunfire, and he strained to hear any noise from the second floor. They needed sound now, almost as much as they needed light. He motioned for the others to stay close to the wall, where the step treads were nailed to the runners. It kept old boards from squeaking, and he wanted to keep Doc guessing as much as he could. They needed every edge they could get now.

The upstairs was dark, a long hallway with windows at both ends and closed doors lining each wall. Their stairs came out right by the back set of windows, and the stretch to the other end reminded Sonny of a dim shooting range. Not an image he wanted in his mind, but there was no helping it. He stepped to one side, giving Rico room to go one way and Tiny to approach the first door. “Showtime,” the big man muttered as he flicked on the flashlight and tested the first door. “Unlocked. Could be good or bad.” He eased it inward no more than an inch and scanned alone every gap he could see.

Sonny watched as the big man tensed, then grinned. “Got you,” he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small pair of wirecutters. “Hopefully he didn't have time to rig anything fancy,” he said over his shoulder. “But if he did, get ready to duck if you hear a ping. Move fast, 'cause I'll run anyone over who's in my way.” Reaching up, he snipped the exposed line.

Realizing he'd stopped breathing, Sonny gulped in stale air as Tiny turned and grinned. “No dice this time.” Rearing back, he kicked the door open and swept into the room. Sonny followed, his .45 tracking to the opposite corner as he moved away like he'd seen them do, giving Rico room to enter.

The empty room mocked their efforts. Tiny lowered his shotgun, then pointed to a door on the far wall. “Gonna try something,” he whispered, walking over with a silence that seemed unnatural for someone so large. Touching the knob, he stayed on the wall side of the door but opened it as if he was standing in front of the door.

Three shots boomed loud in the quiet, blasting three holes in the door roughly where Tiny would have been standing. “Throw down your weapon!” Crockett's shout was both a command and a challenge as he reacted on instinct. If Carlos was shooting, that meant he hadn't had time to rig the door. Moving at full speed, ducking past Tiny, he kicked the door open and brought the big Smith & Wesson to full extension, both hands locked on the grip.

Carlos stood there, eyes wide as he stared at a spent casing stovepiped in the chamber of his Colt. “Drop the weapon! Do it now!” Sonny's voice was sharp as he kept his own pistol locked on Carlos' head. He could sense Tubbs coming in on his right, and Tiny taking a position between them both. “Drop it! Don't even try to clear that weapon!”

Carlos looked up, his eyes framed by an odd pair of glasses reminding Crockett of John Lennon. His cut off fatigue jacket vest draped from his narrow shoulders, and he looked more like a Beatnik poet than a man who'd been dealing heroin for over twenty years. “You ain't even Army.” His voice was thin, almost sad. “You'd think after all these years they'd want their piece of me.”

“Drop the weapon! I”m not asking again.”

“Why? So I can stand trial? Go to jail? You really think I'm gonna let that happen? I got friends who could keep in from happening, but I don't trust them bastards.” The Colt fell to the ground with a heavy thud, but Carlos' hands kept moving.

“Keep your hands up!” Sonny knew what was coming. Sensed it with every inch of his being. He could see something small, olive drab, clipped to Carlos' old GI web belt. “Don't do it!”

Carlos' hand kept moving. Down past his midsection now. Almost to the pin on the GI-issue hand grenade. “Screw you! Screw all of you! I might go, but...”

In the close confines of the room, the .44 Magnum sounded like an artillery piece going off. Carlos' eyes widened in shock as his internal organs were pulped by a heavy hollowpoint bullet fired at point-blank range. His hand feel down past the grenade, his fingers opening and closing as the dying body tried to convert the brain's fading messages into action. And then he hit the floor. Sonny focused past the body and saw Martin Castillo standing in the other door leading to the hall, smoke trailing from the long barrel of his Model 29 Smith & Wesson. “He talked too much.”

Robbie shut down The Sanctuary for normal business to host the combined party, celebrating Gina and Stan's engagement and the end of the operation. The second team had wrapped up Juan at the warehouse, and seized a large quantity of heroin. Forensic people were still going through Carlos Delgado's office, piecing together his business over the years.

Brick, a bandage under his shirt supporting a cracked rib, raised his glass. “Here's to a mission well done. Good guys four, bad guys zero.”

Sonny looked around, raising his glass with the rest. Jenny was there, looking pretty and a little uncomfortable in her white dress until Trudy sat down next to her and started talking. Soon they were at it like they'd known each other for years, and Castillo walked over to him with a smile. “I like her, Sonny.”

“So do I, Marty. I mean...I really do. It's funny...”

“I know.” He looked at Trudy, and Sonny had never seen so much love in the man's eyes before. “Trust me.”

“I want to talk to you tomorrow about how you bought that Challenger. I think I'm gonna finally pull the trigger on the St. Vitas Dance I've been squatting in it for so long it feels like I own it anyway, but...”

“Now you have reason. I understand. I'll help ease the process through.”

“And...” Sonny wasn't really sure how to say what he wanted to say next, so he just blurted it out. “I'd like to help you and Trudy the same way I'm helping Stan and Gina. If you take that step, anyhow. You both have meant the world to me, and it's the least I can do.”

“Sonny, I...”

“Damn it, Marty You're always looking out for us. Taking care of us. Let me do the same for you for a change. I know you don't need the help, but it would make me feel a hell of a lot better.”

Castillo smiled. “Thank you. I don't know what we're going to do yet. It's up to her. We won't be apart again. I know that much. But the rest...”

“I hear you. Jenny's...well...she's different. I don't think we'll ever be apart, either. And that seems to make her happy enough. Me? I don't care about the formalities. But Trudy...I know they mean a lot to her.”

“That's why it's her call.” Castillo nodded toward the table. “We'd better get back to them, don't you think?”

“And interrupt Rico's game?” Sonny chuckled as he saw his partner trying to corner Mindy over by the bar. “I just want to sit and watch this.”

“They make a good couple, don't you think?”

“Yeah. And don't look now, but I think Angie's taken a shine to Randy.” Sonny nodded towards Caitlin's burly former assistant who was plowing through the crowd headed right for Randy with a pitcher of beer. “If he's not careful she'll just toss him over her shoulder and take him home.”

“Maybe that's his thing.” Castillo shrugged and then winked, something Sonny had never seen him do before. “I don't judge.”

Sonny was still standing on the edge of things when Robbie found him. “She's a sweet lady, Sonny. Jenny, I mean. She cornered me a couple of minutes back. Said she knew I was your oldest friend here.”

“I don't know how the hell she does that, man.”

“I don't ask, my friend. But she's sweet as hell. And she's devoted to you. I can't say you'd be able to do better. Keep her close.”

Looking at the group laughing, telling stories, Sonny nodded. He picked out Jenny, laughing again with Trudy. And Rico, trying his best to stop staring at Mindy's cleavage and failing miserably. He threw his arm around Robbie. “I'm gonna keep all of you close, buddy. You, Jenny, Rico, all of 'em. It doesn't get any better than this.”

• Like 3

Agree, great ending!  I love how you tied up so many loose ends and of course I'm a sucker for the happy ending :)

Now to go back and really savor some of the parts I skimmed over...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, vicegirl85 said:

Agree, great ending!  I love how you tied up so many loose ends and of course I'm a sucker for the happy ending :)

Now to go back and really savor some of the parts I skimmed over...

It just seemed like the best way to send them off. And like I said in another thread, part of my motivation behind these novels was answering as many of the questions the series left hanging as I could.

• Like 2