Modern MV Clothing Reviews

IA-SteveB

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can review purchases of modern clothing that fits the Miami Vice style.  We all know that it is difficult to replicate the styles of the 80's using modern alternatives.  Some people get lucky and build a wardrobe out of eBay purchases but this can take a lot of time especially if you are a person who is a difficult size like I am.  Yes, I have purchased a few things off of eBay but I much prefer shopping on sites like Amazon and Macys since returns are so easy and hassle free.  We all know that the problem with online shopping is getting something you expected and in the right size.  With that in mind, here is my first submission to this thread.

Taoliyuan Mens Linen Sport Coat Blazer Casual Tailored Slim Fit Lightweight 2 Buttons Half Lined Suit Jacket

I decided to try this option because I was looking for something unstructured, lightweight and easy to roll up the sleeves as Crockett liked to do from time to time.  I was a little turned off by the price at first thinking it was another "get what you pay for" type of a thing.

Material:

This is a thin, unlined blazer so I am not sure why they state it is half lined. The ad says that it is viscose and flax but the label says 85% cotton and 15% flax so it is advertised incorrectly on Amazon.  It is almost like a double thick Oxford shirt if that makes any sense, still lightweight and plenty breathable.  Maybe some colors come in viscose and others in cotton but who knows for sure.  I just know the sky blue model I have is cotton.  The ad says to hand wash only but I will be honest and say that I machine washed it on low speed spin and dried it on regular in the dryer and it came out better than shipped.  It did shed as indicated on the lint screen but I wasn't too worried since I don't plan on washing it all that much.  I didn't have to iron it or anything and honestly it would have been fine looking slightly wrinkled since I wanted the casual look.

Fit:

I am 5'4 and weigh 142 pounds and usually take a 29 to 30 waist.  I went with a size M one-button in this jacket and it fit well.  Not too tight at all and very easy to either push up or roll up the sleeves.  It doesn't feel like you are making the sleeves do anything they don't want to like a traditional blazer.  Wearing them pushed or rolled up is definitely my preference for the 80's vibe.  I feel like the pictures aren't representative of the actual fit.  It looks to me like the models are all 6 foot plus individuals wearing a medium.  When you look at how it fits my 5'4" frame it sure makes sense.  It isn't as tight and short looking on me.

Quality:

Quite honestly, I wasn't expecting much and had $34 to burn just to try something different.  I am glad I did.  This isn't going to be a weekly wash/wear item and I know it isn't built for that kind of abuse.  For what I will be using it for, it will be perfect.  I have worn it once and was quite comfortable in 84 degree weather and I was glad I had it on as the sun went down and the cool lake breeze moved in.  One thing to be aware of is that the pictures on Amazon don't depict the actual color very well at all.  The online pictures show them as being "stonewashed" or "heathered" and they are actually a solid color.

Price:

I figured $34 isn't too bad for the risk.  I know you can get good deals on eBay for higher quality stuff but I am a hard guy to fit so my choices are limited.  It is what it is.

Overall Impressions:

Like I said, as long as you know what you are getting it is worth the money.  Would I wear it with a dress shirt & tie or to a formal event?  Nope.  I only envision myself wearing it a handful of times between Memorial Day and Labor Day for a casual Crockett look so I wasn't too concerned about it holding up to multiple washings.  It is available with two day Prime shipping if you are lucky but some sizes and color combos come from overseas and can take a month.  I am not advertising for this company but of the blazers I have in my collection, this is the one that makes me feel the most MV'ish.  It isn't BOSS, Armani or Tommy Bahama but I still like it and no one will care. The main thing for me is that it fits and feels great and that in itself is a small win.

20190727_203528.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 6

Had to look up those fabrics and discovered that viscose is a kind of rayon and linen is made from the flax plant.  So probably the reason it feels like linen.  The jacket looks good on you, better really than I'd have thought from the pic on Amazon, which seems very close fitting as well as a bit short compared to 80s styles seen on MV.  Seems like a good buy, and like you said you don't expect it to take a lot of wear or last forever.

Nice!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Had to look up those fabrics and discovered that viscose is a kind of rayon and linen is made from the flax plant.  So probably the reason it feels like linen.  The jacket looks good on you, better really than I'd have thought from the pic on Amazon, which seems very close fitting as well as a bit short compared to 80s styles seen on MV.  Seems like a good buy, and like you said you don't expect it to take a lot of wear or last forever.

Nice!

Thanks.  I updated my post a bit after looking more closely at the label.  It really is 85% cotton and 15% flax.  I honestly think the model in the Amazon picture is over 6' and wearing a medium looking at the length.  I have a different color arriving tomorrow so I will be interested to see if it is also cotton and the Amazon ad is just wrong.

These are great blazers if you don't want to "feel" like you are wearing a blazer if that makes any sense.  Very casual.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this. I'm about the same size as you so finding classy clothes like this that fit me well is basically impossible lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm about the same size as you so finding classy clothes like this that fit me well is basically impossible lol.

I know what you mean.  I looked on Peter Manning but those prices are insane. I am sure his stuff fits great but it is all cost prohibitive for this guy. Need versus want.

• Like 1

I just bought a pair of off white (kinda tan, kinda cream with a slight light pattern to them) Calvin Klein boys size 16 dress pants brand new off ebay. Store price is $42.50. Seller wanted around 20 and had "best offer" option. I got 'em for $17. They fit well enough regarding length and fit (not too tight, not too loose in the legs) except for the waist. I definitely gotta lose a good 20 pounds if I wanna breathe in them lol.

However, I was in another store yesterday and found a pair of Dark Blue Dockers casual pants ("Washed Khakis" on the label) in a 28X28 for only $12.99 and they fit me perfectly. They're slim tapered, but got a bit of stretchy material to them, so it definitely makes me look like a hipster since they hug tight at the ankles lol. Might work for anyone looking to rock a Season 3-5 look.

• Like 1

I saw this blazer on Amazon and was considering it, the picture didn't do it much justice, but you wear it well! I may actually buy it now. 

• Like 1

Off topic, but  what about these original 1988 linen trousers (one of the very few survived items in my no-longer-vice wardrobe)? Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-)

Btw, the shirt and the blazer have been bought in 2013/14 and, yes I was in the magic city.

DSC_0257.JPG

• Like 10

Well, it is a mixed bag with these Taoliyoulan blazers.  I received a red two button model to compare to the sky blue one button model and they are definitely different.  The red (looks more salmon to me) has a composition of 45% cotton and 55% flax so it doesn't feel as comfy, almost feeling starchy.  There are also slight differences in the style of the lapels and pockets.  The lapels are notched slightly differently.  It is hard to see in the picture but the breast pocket on the blue is real and a full usable pocket while the red one is just a top of a pocket with no other stitching to make it look like a functional pocket.  The final difference is that the blue has two buttons on the cuff and the red has none.  Honestly, the red one felt like I was wearing a lab coat at an evil underground chemical plant.

I do have a navy blue one button arriving today so I am curious and HOPING that it has the same fabric comp as the sky blue.  Fingers crossed.  I am hoping the differences are just between the one and two button models but something tells me that there will be variation all over the place given that the ad and pictures are inconsistent with actual samples.  I will report back on the navy model.  I won't be trying white or the grays since I already have those in other brands.

20190801_060019.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

Update for the Taoliyoulan blazers.  I received the one button navy blazer today and it is exactly the same as the sky blue one.  It is 85% cotton and 15% flax and soft.  It is now my opinion that all of the one button models are that fabric and the two button are the stiffer fabric like the red one.  I can't be sure but if you want to order one, I would suggest a one button example in your color of choice.  These are so darn comfortable.  I am returning the red one which is why I like buying on Amazon Prime.

Next up will be a Uniqlo unstructured and unlined blazer ... when it arrives.

S3 look.

50C4857A-3161-40B7-9FA3-6F6EEC94E2E1.jpeg

F116DEE5-B567-4D29-A7C6-D10B8508287E.jpeg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

My next entry is in the UNIQLO line, a linen/cotton blazer.  

Material:

This is a thin blazer made of 65% linen and 35% cotton so it feels a little bit stiffer than the Taoliyulan blazer I mentioned in post #1.  It does seem like it will be suitable for warmer weather, which is nice because this is pretty much a Memorial Day to Labor Day color (see pictures later on).  It is lightweight but doesn't feel cheap and see-through and note that just the sleeves are lined in poly.   I am not a big fan of the odd overlapping button spacing on the cuffs (shown below) but I might just have them removed by a tailor if it can be done cleanly.  I plan to wear the sleeves up anyway.

Fit:

I am 5'4 and weigh 142 pounds and usually take a 29 to 30 waist.  I really had no choice in my size because this was on eBay.  This is a size XS which seems to equate to a 36S and is a tad too small for me.  The jacket does sit a little shorter below the waist as well.  It is about 2" shorter than the Taoliyulan blazer shown earlier.  Also, the front buttons are higher than most blazers you see but this didn't bother me at all since I never wear a blazer buttoned up.  Ever.

Quality:

As long as you know what you are getting, this seems like a nice blazer. The fabric and stitching seem well done and it held up to a machine wash just fine with no steaming or ironing needed.  I don't need to look pressed in MV mode.  Honestly, I thought these retailed for a lot more than they do being UNIQLO (Roger Federer's clothing sponsor) but they aren't that much.  I jumped on it on eBay thinking I was getting a great deal for a brand name and then realized they weren't that much new ... later.  lol

Price:

These retailed for $69 and I got mine for $15. 

Overall Impressions:

It is a good, inexpensive blazer.  Like the previously mentioned blazers, this isn't one I would pair with a shirt and tie.   I'd like to have gotten a size S if I could have but since I don't plan on buttoning it, it should be fine for me.  As long as no one makes me angry I am not going to be busting through the seams.  It is a decent jacket but no one will mistake it for anything more than that.  However, for what I want it for (super casual) it is good stuff. 

Note:

I have not been able to find this line for sale new anywhere but I am thinking it got replaced by what they call their Comfort Jacket with a polyester jersey type material which is becoming more popular.  The lack of colors is a bummer in that line.  I believe this particular model I am reviewing was in this line of jackets since they talk about all of the bright colors.  :(

buttons.jpg

tag.jpg

uniqlo.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 2:43 AM, Jerry B. said:

Off topic, but  what about these original 1988 linen trousers (one of the very few survived items in my no-longer-vice wardrobe)? Sorry, I couldn't resist ;-)

Btw, the shirt and the blazer have been bought in 2013/14 and, yes I was in the magic city.

DSC_0257.JPG

If they DO a Miami Vice re-boot and they can’t get DJ, they need to cast YOU!

Looking sharp!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

If they DO a Miami Vice re-boot and they can’t get DJ, they need to cast YOU!

Looking sharp!

Big thanks, Marco, but I'd be too old to be Crockett, since I'm a bit younger than Don ;-)

This pic's been taken just for fun in 2014 when I was in Miami. My avatar is from the same year. I actually stopped wearing the style in the mid 90s, but when I joined this community I felt to share some memories and thoughts with the members, so I chose to wear the vice clothes for just one more time.

It is always interesting to look back at how our personal styles change.  Mine will continue to evolve and as long as I am having fun, it's like a cool breeze blowing in.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next entry is the UNIQLO Comfort Jacket

Material:

This is a thin blazer made of 70% polyester and 30% cotton.  It is considered "jersey material" which feels to me like thin sweatshirt but slicker if that makes sense.  It certainly feels more like cotton than poly despite the actual percentages.  It is unstructured and has a VERY thin lining of polyester which makes it pretty darn good for summer.  It is a stretchy fabric so it is easy to push up the sleeves and have them stay if that is the look you are going for.  I know poly isn't considered breathable but I can tell you that I wore it on an 80 degree day and it was great.  It is just a very comfortable material and can easily be a year round blazer for people like me who get hot easily, even in winter.

Fit:

I am 5'4 and weigh 142 pounds. I went with a size S since I am usually a 38S in a jacket size and it fit very well.  These are advertised as a slim fit and I didn't want it to feel tight like I was in a sausage casing, which is always a worry with slim fit stretchy stuff.  I am fine in this one and I am glad I didn't try XS.  The sleeves were perhaps a half inch longer than I would have liked but that can be fixed.  The sleeves do stay in place if pushed up (provided you have decent forearms, lol) but the stretchy material allows you to roll them if you like.  Overall, you aren't going to get the loose fit that Sonny usually sports but this can allow you to achieve a modern take on MV style.  If you try to go larger for a loose fit you will definitely be adjusting the sleeve length.

Quality:

These are really nice unstructured blazers.  The stitching is nice and the overall construction is well done and it even comes with a pack of spare buttons just in case.  It is definitely a nice casual jacket for the money.  The only thing I don't like is that they only come in the basic colors (black, light grey, navy and dark gray) so you are really only going to be able to get Season 3+ styles out of them. 

Price:

These are $59 and you can get $10 off of your first order just by signing up for their mailing list (I unsubscribed later). 

Overall Impressions:

This is a very nice blazer at that price point.  It is unstructured and light so you don't get that feeling like you are trying to dress up. When I first started creating my MV wardrobe, I didn't pay much attention to structured versus unstructured but I figured out very quickly that thin unstructured was the way to go if you want to feel smartly casual and not dressed up.  It is hard to explain.  I just feel different in a blazer DESIGNED to be casual especially when pairing it with a t-shirt or henley.  I do not think I would wear this blazer with a dress shirt and tie.  However, I can wear this to work in a business casual environment and be perfectly fine.

I really wish they had more colors to choose from. They used to in the first iteration of this line when these were linen but they have changed for some reason.  If I am comparing this to the yellowish UNIQLO from further up in the thread, I would describe this one as the more refined of the two since it resists wrinkles and looks smooth.

I will post some more pictures a bit later.

20190821_185747.jpg

20190821_185832.jpg

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

This will be my next review.  It is a Zara cotton blazer and seems pretty darn Vicey to me.

zara.jpg

4 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

This zara blazer looks very ... short ... ;)

Yeah I recommend you buy a larger size than normal to compensate—looks very slim, too. Great color and details though! 

6 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

This zara blazer looks very ... short ... ;)

modern fashion...everything has to be slim fit and looks like it was accidentally thrown into the dryer. Although I bought a nice blazer at Zara this year myself, however that one is more regular fit. The one in the pic IS just too short IMO and also the lapels are super narrow. The color is awesome though.

The hanging belt thing is now considered to be "Sprezzatura" however if retail chains like Zara pick it up then it instantly has lost it's originality. And in that sense, Tubbs was ahead of his time, as he did that too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daytona365 said:

modern fashion...everything has to be slim fit

I know, huh? Ridiculous. Earlier this year, I re-watched "Redemption In Blood" where Burnett is slowly remembering he's Crockett. There's a scene where he's wearing a plain loose black shirt while walking in front of skyscrapers. Such a better look for men. Loose pants, loose shirt. Flowing in the breeze.

In that moment, I decided to stand strong against the trend and buy nothing but loose flowing clothing from now on. Sorry, hipsters, but loose just looks better on guys.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Yeah I recommend you buy a larger size than normal to compensate—looks very slim, too. Great color and details though! 

Yes you are right ... The color looks very cool indeed but, I am a kind of " loose fit" guy ... :)