Bizarre book/episode experience

IA-SteveB

Bear with me here.  So last night I was lying in bed and decided to kind of watch a Miami Vice episode on the NBC app on my iPad.  I like season 2 the best so I randomly picked the episode "Back in the World" which featured Stone and drug running from the Vietnam war.  I watched a few minutes of it and then decided that I'd use it as background noise as I read a Miami Vice book titled Probing by Fire that I had recently acquired off eBay.  I had watched the first ten minutes of the episode before starting this book from page 1 so it was fresh in my mind.  As I was reading, the dialog and setting seemed very familiar and eventually I was reading word for word what I had just heard in the episode.  Something about "You don't look much like a high school football coach to me" when Stone and Crockett met up again.  I looked at the screen and looked back at the book and it was surely a "what the heck moment."  I read a little more and the dialogue was exactly the same as what I had just heard during Crockett/Stone reuniting.  I turned back to the cover of the book to make sure it wasn't titled the same as the episode and it wasn't.  I had not seen the page where it states that this book is loosely based on the episodes "Back in the World" and "Stone's War."  lol

Honestly, I really thought I was in the Twilight Zone for a half second and it was VERY funny to me.  What were the chances?

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'll bet it's Jim Morrison, you watched an episode with all Doors songs, that trippy experience was all what he was about. :)

• Like 2

that thing happened to me at the cinema too once. when i saw the Peugeot logo in Blade runner 2049, when the guy starts up his car. i had just taken delivery of my new Peugoet scooter 2 hours before. during a second i was confused. it was fun ,and weird at the same time. because during 1 second, or 2, i felt heavily confused :)

Edited by jpm1

• 3 weeks later...

[start shameless plug] I can pretty much guarantee you won't find reused lines in the Fan Fiction forum...:cheers: [end shameless plug]

I've read a few of those Vice novels and found them truly horrifying. Bubba Switek? Seriously? It always amazed me what they'd crank out to tie into movies and TV shows back in the day. That said, though, some of the Bond novelizations from the Roger Moore era weren't bad. The ones from I Spy were decent, while the Man from UNCLE ones are in the same league as the Vice stuff.

Yes, I read too much...

• Haha 2