The Line - Part I

Robbie C.

I'm working on other stuff, so this one might update slower than normal. I also don't know how long it's going to be yet. I'm hoping for no more than six parts, but you never know... For those of you who track such things, it's in the Task Force Arc and follows on the heels of Echoes.

The rising sun turned the ocean to molten gold. Martin Castillo sat on his deck, looking out and imagining he could see a surfer out on the waves. Like Jess was still out there, watching over what was left of the team.

Trudy Joplin came out of the low, Japanese-style house, two steaming cups in her hands. He sensed her presence, and smiled even before she came into view. “I thought we could have some tea while you watch for Jess.”

“I’m not, my love,” he lied. “I was waiting for you.”

“It’s ok.” She handed him a cup and then settled into his lap, giggling as his free arm slid around her waist and he kissed the side of her neck. “From what you’ve told me about him I’d be surprised if you didn’t watch for him at least some mornings.”

He sipped at his green tea, letting the smell of her fill his nose. Last night’s perfume had faded just enough to be a subtle reminder, and he liked the effect. “You’re right. I was watching, too.”

She smiled, and he could imagine the sparkle in her deep brown eyes. “I’ve been thinking. Ever since Stan and Gina’s wedding. I know we don’t have to, but I think I’d like a small service. If that’s…”

“It’s however you want it, my love.” Castillo smiled. He’d seen how she looked at Gina, and he had to admit Switek had even looked good in a tux. Tubbs no doubt had a hand in picking it out. “I’m happy as long as you’re happy.”

“I know Angie’s busy with Caitlin’s House and all, especially with Gina on her honeymoon, but I wonder if she’d be willing to do the planning again? It was so perfect.”

“Ask her.” Castillo didn’t doubt Caitlin Crockett’s former assistant would jump at the chance. She and Trudy were good friends, drawn together by music more than anything. “She might appreciate the distraction.”

“Yeah, she might. I know Sonny’s helping as much as he can, and they got some of the best people involved, but…”

“It’s a lot of work. Good work.” Castillo deep down was still amazed Sonny Crockett had given the house up for the project. But Sonny had changed a great deal in the time he was away. He’d come back more mature, more aware of what he needed to do to be part of a team. And a better man. Castillo had his doubts when he’d asked the detective to join the Task Force, but he was glad to have been proven wrong.

The stocky figure stared at the prison gates, remembering all the times he’d stared at them the from Yard, wondering if this day would ever come. The guards had laughed when the word came down. “Who the hell did you blow to get out?” one of them chuckled as he glared across the counter at the man. But it had happened. Freedom was a handful of steps away.

A plain sedan screeched to a stop just beyond the outer wire of the Federal prison. Picking up his small bag, the man started walking, moving past the red lines and clanging bells to what they all called Outside. Nodding to whoever was behind the tinted glass, he opened the back door of the sedan and climbed in. It started moving before the door was fully closed, leaving the prison behind in a matter of seconds.

The man settled into the seat with a sigh. “About damned time.”

“Shut up. You have no idea how many favors this cost. It better be worth it.”

“It will be. But I got a score to settle first.”

“They told me. Don’t take too long. There’s work out of country waiting for you.”

“Three weeks tops. If you got the info I requested.”

The other passenger held up a gym bag. “It’s in here. We couldn’t get everything, but you’ve got what we could lay our hands on without drawing too much attention. People still watch, you know.”

“Yeah. But they won’t be watching much longer. And I need a damned cheeseburger.”

Sonny Crockett still had a smile on his face as he pulled into the underground parking lot. The Task Force office was on the tenth floor, so he still had a few minutes to get his game face in order. But he wasn’t sure he wanted to. Last night with Jenny had been great, and he felt like he was walking on air. It was a feeling he hadn’t had since Caitlin was murdered, and he wanted to savor every second of it. Unlike most, Sonny knew how quickly those feelings could be ripped away.

Mindy O’Laughlin looked up from her desk as he walked through the outer door of the office suite. “Good morning, boss,” she said, still using the name they’d given him when he assumed temporary command of the Task Force after Castillo was wounded. He’d tried, but the marshals refused to change. “Rico’s already here, and I think Lester’s poking around in the tech room. Stan should be back today, and Dave and Randy are on the range until noon.” She smiled. “They said something about needing some time with the new rifles in dim light.”

“Thanks.” He made a point of ignoring the red marks on her neck. One thing Rico didn’t know about redheads with that pale skin…they get hickies if you stare at them too hard. “I’ll be in the office when the captain comes in.”

Ricardo Tubbs sat at his desk in his perfectly-pressed suit, the very picture of style. He looked to be going through files related to their latest case, and he nodded when Sonny came in. “Wanted to get a jump in the paperwork, partner.”

Sonny chuckled. “Looks like you got the jump on something else, partner. You gotta watch those redheads and hickies.”

Rico’s eyes went wide. “Aw, damn! You didn’t…”

“Relax, pal. I didn’t say a word. Mindy’s good people. I’m not gonna embarrass her. You might want to get her a scarf or something, though.” He grinned as Rico jumped to his feet and bolted out of the office.

Sighing, he sat down at his desk, wincing as his back touched the chair. It was a good thing Rico wasn’t in the room or he’d be hearing about it all day. The thought of how those scratches got there brought another smile to his face, and then he turned his attention to work. Their current case wasn’t much by Task Force standards, but it was a chance to help pay back the Marshals’ Service for all their help and Castillo hadn’t been about to turn it down.

Chasing down fugitives was a big part of what the marshals did, and given the Task Force’s ability to collect intelligence Chief Deputy Pete Washington asked for their help with a few manhunts. It was grinding work for the most part, but it helped Lester and Stan hone their surveillance craft, and Trudy and Mindy got a good workout pulling the information together into target folders the high-risk warrant teams could use. With Dave and Randy conducting their overwatch surveillance, everyone kept busy except him and Rico. So they passed the time cultivating informants and helping with the target folders. A cop could never have too many CIs, after all.

Rico came back in shaking his head. “Turns out she had one in her purse,” he said as he sat back down. “Women.”

“Yeah. Speaking of which, Stan and Gina should be back today or tomorrow. Be good to have someone in there again to keep Lester company. I think he’s about to lose his mind with no one to talk to about frequencies and beard care.”

“Yeah. That beard of his is gettin’ to be a real menace. One of these days he’s gonna get it tangled in the steering wheel of the roach coach.”

“Now that’s an image I did not need in my head. Thanks a lot, Tubbs.”

“I aim to please.” He raised his hand. “Don’t say it, Crockett!”

“Who, me? And speaking of last night, you two go anywhere new?”

“We checked out Downbeat, that new jazz club in the Decco district. They got a good house band, although the dude on trumpet could learn a thing or two from Dizzy.”

“Glad you had fun, even though I don’t know what the hell you just said.” Sonny chuckled. “Anyhow, let’s see if we can get this crap done before the captain comes in.”

Castillo and Trudy came in just before nine. Sonny heard them pass through the conference room, but kept working on his informant report. Castillo would let them know if a team meeting was in order. But everyone had their assignments and one great thing about Castillo was his ability to stay out of the way and let his people work. Sonny always admired that and tried to copy it himself when he was in charge.

Sipping coffee and typing up reports, breaking up the time by teasing Rico about Mindy’s neck, Sonny lost track of time. The next thing he knew Dave and Randy could be heard in the conference room, teasing each other about their shooting in the gloom of pre-dawn. He grinned, knowing most of it was total crap. Former Marine Corps scout-snipers, Dave Blair and Randy Mather were two of the best rifle shots he’d ever seen. When Rico said they could outshoot Metro-Dade’s best with Dave aiming and Randy pulling the trigger blindfolded he was only half joking.

The intervening half hour seemed like a heartbeat, and then Castillo’s low voice filled the empty air. “Meeting in five.”

They formed up in their usual order: the head chair reserved for Castillo and the rest settling in wherever was convenient. Dave and Randy usually sat together, while Rico and Sonny varied their positions just because. Lester sat near the end, close to the tech room door just in case, and Mindy and Trudy sat near each other in their roles as intel analysts. Once everyone settled in, Castillo came out of his office and sat down. Sonny always swore he had a camera somewhere, because he never arrived too soon or a second too late. He looked down at his notes. “Report.”

Lester cleared his throat. “Still no action on the target’s girlfriend’s phone. At least not the kind we want. He’s gonna be pissed when he finds out she’s having phone sex with half of Greater Miami.”

“Shift the tap to the other girl. The warrant just came through. We won’t tie up resources on a non-productive lead.”

“Roger that, captain. It’ll be done by the end of the day.”

Castillo nodded, checking something off on his notepad. He looked up, and Sonny saw the subtle gleam when he locked eyes with Trudy. “Intel?”

Mindy adjusted her light blue scarf and looked at her notes. “We’re almost done with the target folder on Jamal Williams. Lester should have the tapes ready for us this afternoon, and then we’ll wrap it up. The one on Carter Hanson went over late yesterday.”

Trudy nodded. “We’ve got an update based on overwatch surveillance on the Fogelson folder. I’ll send that over as soon as we’re done.”

“Good.” He gave the women a thin smile and moved on. “Overwatch?”

Randy looked at Dave and spoke for both men. “The new rifles are just fine, captain. Spent the morning running through drills and we can give you hits out to 1200 yards. More if conditions are right. We put in some time on Grid YA 24 yesterday. The reports are in your basket, Trudy. We didn’t see either target, but there might be some stuff there you can use.”

“Thank you. Crockett? Tubbs?”

Sonny looked at Rico, who shrugged. Sure. Punt it to me, pal. “We’ve been trying to recruit some CIs on the edges of Little Havana. The reports will be on your desk by the end of the day. Got a few, but it’s slim pickings. After that whole Dominican thing quite a few of the crews are lying low. We’ve got lines on some Columbians and a Peruvian or two, but nothing that matches the profiles for the high-risk warrant boys.”

“Keep at it. We may need those CIs later.” Castillo looked at his own notes. “I know it’s been slow, but Chief Deputy Washington feels we’ve earned a break. I see some of you have been working on intra-office relations.” Sonny stifled a chuckle as Mindy’s face went a bright shade of red. “Keep up the good work. The Miami office has already executed two arrests based on our intel. Those two targets had been able to evade capture for three months before we got involved. Your work produces results. That’s all.”

Back in the office, Sonny let loose with a laugh. “Good work there, Rico. Keeping up with intra-office relations.”

“I hate it when he grows a sense of humor. And did you see Mindy?”

“He didn’t mean anything by it, Rico. And she knows it. You heard his voice. He’s happy for both of you. I’d bet my badge on it.” He grinned. “Or my new boat.”

“You finally did it?” Rico grinned, his anger vanishing as quickly as it had formed. “Bought the Dance?”

“Yeah. Marty walked me through the whole process. She’s mine free and clear.”

“About damned time, man. I might have to look into Casa Cooper in a few years. That pad suits me down to the ground. It’s like New York without being in New York.”

Sonny nodded, making a note to do some checking himself. Then he looked at his watch and let out a curse. “I gotta run. Got a meeting with Angie and some damned lawyers about Caitlin’s House in half an hour. I’ll be back when I can. Leave some stuff for me. I don’t want you doing it all.”

Rico nodded and watched Sonny bolt out of the office. His partner had been a new man since they’d come back from their little break from law enforcement, and Rico liked the changes. Burnett still lurked like a great white shark in the shadows at the back of the big fish tank, but Sonny seemed to have learned something from his cover. He was more responsible, thought more about the rest of the team, and at least twice had put himself at serious risk to save them. The old Sonny wouldn’t have done any of those things.

All Rico could figure was reconnecting with Vietnam and his Marine training had flipped some kind of switch deep in Sonny’s soul. The cowboy was still there, but he was more reasoned and calculating than he’d ever been before. And Jenny, strange little Jenny who was more some kind of mermaid than a person, completed him in a way Rico hadn’t seen since Caitlin.

No, he corrected himself. Strange isn’t the right word for her. Otherworldly is closer to it. Jenny seemed to sense things before other people, and had a connection with Sonny that was only exceeded by the bond Castillo had with Trudy. He couldn’t explain it, even to himself, and more than once he found himself a bit envious of both men.

Well, maybe not completely. Mindy had been a surprise, and a damned good one. She was pretty, smarter than he was, and loved jazz. Three things that always got Rico’s heart skipping a few beats. They’d been out a few times now, taking things slow and easy. But he still remembered the swat she’d given him when he was working undercover as Teddy Prentiss and found himself looking forward to the day he’d get to swat her curved backside.

Shaking his head, he forced his attention back to the informant reports. Sonny hadn’t been kidding. Ever since the Dominican-Columbian war and the little fracas between the Dominicans that followed, the streets had been quiet. Like all the gangs were catching their collective breath, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Supply chains were a mess, and there was scrambling to fill the gap left when Moncado’s organization when up in smoke.

The streets were always at their most dangerous when there was a vacuum of any kind. And right now there were more than a few. As he looked at his notes and filled in blanks on the forms, Rico marveled once again at Castillo’s ability to look forward and plan. Some bosses would have had their people filling out forms from past cases or chasing leads for other units. Not Castillo. If he had extra resources he put them to work getting ready for the next case. Or the case after that. The only wasted informant was one you didn’t have.

Hitting return for the last time, Rico spooled the form off the typewriter and added it to the small stack on the left side of his desk. Then he flipped through his notes and sighed. Six more to go. And once they were done it was back out on the streets to add to the total. Only a handful would ever produce anything worthwhile, but you never knew which ones would be in that handful. He’d had more than a couple in his time who looked promising but turned out to be a waste of time, and more than a couple who’d seemed thin but produced pure gold.

His musing was interrupted when someone cleared their throat in the doorway. He looked up and saw Mindy standing there, her scarf open. The red marks stood out like blood on satin sheets, and he shrugged an apology. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to do that.”

“I guess next time you’ll just have to put them lower.” She smiled and batted her eyes before turning and walking away with an exaggerated hip sway.

“Always knew that girl was a handful.” Randy chuckled as he came through the door. “Just wasn’t sure whose hands she’d fill.”

“Naw, man. It ain’t…”

“Oh yeah it is, man. And good for you, I’d say. She’s a sweet kid. Too good for those bozos over in the other office. But that ain’t why I stopped by. Just wanted to let you know we saw a bit uptick in traffic in YA 24 before we called it quits. You got any CIs in that area, you might want to wake ‘em up. Dave thinks something’s brewing, and I agree with him.”

“Thanks. I’ll do that. And I’ll pass the word to Sonny. He might have a  CI or two over there.” Rico tried to picture the big street map in the conference room, cut up into grids so they could systematically recon each part of the city. Another of Castillo’s innovations.

“Nice.” Randy shook his head. “You up for a drink later? The Sanctuary?”

“Sure. Been a few days. Robbie might think we don’t love him anymore.”

“Dave will be glad. He’s still sweet on Debbie but don’t want to go there by himself.”

“She is a nice lady. No question.” Rico leaned back in his chair. “You ever think we’re relaxing too much?”

Randy looked at him. “Maybe. But we got to from time to time.”

“Yeah. You’re right about that.” Rico looked at his pile of notes. “Sonny’s meeting with some lawyers, but I’ll leave him a note if he isn’t back by five. Want to meet there at, say, eight?”

“Sounds good to me. Get some chow and maybe Dave will have his courage worked up by then.”

The stocky man looked around the room and snorted. It was a typical conference room with no windows and a humming overhead projector. He’d seen countless numbers of them in his career, and would no doubt suffer through another countless number. But this was different in one big way: it was HIS conference room.

A picture flashed on the screen. “This is the target. We aren’t sure of the window of opportunity yet, so you’ll have to be ready to go on short notice. You bastards are being paid damned well, so don’t kick about it. Surveillance will be in place soon, and the plan will evolve from there.”

The team nodded. Six men, each honed in the covert war that had been going on since 1945. They’d all walked away for their own reasons, taking their skills out for hire. Just like he’d do once he was done with what needed doing. What should have been done years ago.

“Is there a second target?”

“Of course. But we start with this one. You’ll be briefed on the second once this mission’s complete. Need to know and all that crap.”

The same man looked at him with narrowed eyes. “Security?”

“It’ll be there. The target’s a cop. That bother any of you?”

“That’s a damned fool question.”

“I find the best way to answer a damned fool question is with another damned fool question.” The stocky man waited for the chuckles to die down. “You’ll have full info before the mission goes down. Any other questions? No? Then I’ll see you when it’s time to prep for launch.”

He waited until they filed out before shutting down the projector and gathering up his slides. Leave no trace behind. And this time there was no one to get cold feet when he closed with the target. Not this time.

“You don’t have to go if you don’t want to.” Sonny looked down at Jenny sitting on the saloon sofa, admiring the curve of her legs and the way her hair draped over the cushions. “I’m going mostly to keep Rico from whining.”

She smiled, getting to her feet with a smooth motion that took his breath away. “No. I want to. I like your friends. Trudy is funny, and Robbie’s always so kind.” She pulled her white t-shirt over her head, showing him her magnificent body. “Let me get that white dress and we can go.”

Now it was Sonny’s turn to smile. They’d settled into a strange sort of domestic routine, moving from her boat to his almost at random but always by some unspoken prior agreement. She disappeared into the aft stateroom, reappearing moments later in her short strapless white sundress that made her hair look like spun gold. “How do I look?”

“Beautiful as always, darlin’.” He smiled, pulling her close and kissing her.

She returned the kiss with her usual energy and reached up, taking his hand and moving it lower. “I left the bikini bottoms on the berth.” Her smile was both teasing and innocent. “I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not a bit.” He kissed her again, then swatted her firm backside. “Let’s get moving. Don’t want Tubbs whining because we’re late.”

The drive in was quiet, and he liked the feeling of her hand on his thigh as he drove. She had a way of just being, without any words or sounds. He’d noticed it from the first, and it made him…comfortable. For the first time in a long time. Reaching down, he squeezed her hand and smiled at her. She smiled back, her eyes glittering, and mouthed ‘I love you.’

“I love you, too.” He said the words, smiling, and then accelerated away from the light. Even after all he’d been through, she made him feel ike a kid on his second date every time they went out.

The Sanctuary had a line at the door and a full parking lot, but Robbie’s people found a spot for the Ferrari and passed him and Jenny under the rope without a word. He knew them all by now, and slipped the valet and the door guy twenties for their trouble. Ever since he and Robbie made up the club had become the Task Force’s hangout, which suited everyone involved down to the ground. The Task Force people tipped well and made sure everyone behaved, and Robbie got to talk with other former Marines and see his best friend more than he had in years.

Rico and Mindy were already at their booth, one toward the back Robbie kept reserved until after eight just in case they swung by. They had been deep in some jazz conversation or another, but looked up and smiled when Sonny and Jenny approached. “Lookin’ good, babe,” Rico said with a smile, then grunted when Mindy slugged him on the arm.

“Mindy, you don’t want to hit him too much.” Jenny’s eyes sparkled, and Sonny wasn’t sure if she was going to be joking or not. “You might scare him off. And you don’t want to do that.”

Mindy’s blue eyes went wide, and she laughed. “You know, Jenny, you might be right. I grew up with brothers and forget they’re different than boyfriends.”

Jenny smiled at Rico’s slack-jawed stare. “That’s what you wanted to know, isn’t it? Now buy us all drinks, please. I’m thirsty.”

Sonny just shrugged and gave his parter his best ‘what the hell am I supposed to do’ look. They’d just slid into the booth and given their order to the brunette waitress when Dave and Randy came in, Dave trailing along behind a pretty blonde like he was on a short leash. Jenny looked at Sonny and whispered, “That’s Debbie, isn’t it?”

“Yeah. Don’t spook Dave you like did Rico, ok?”

“I wouldn’t. Debbie’s ok but too quiet. And I like Dave. I’ll let you know if she’s right for him.”

Sonny just smiled and kissed her neck. He didn’t think he’d ever really figure her out, and didn’t care if he did. What he cared about was making her happy, and he seemed to do that well enough. So well she’d walked away from her smuggling life to be with him. “Glad you three could make it, even though I hear this was Randy’s idea. Where’s Marty and Trudy?”

“They’ll be along.” Randy grinned. “How’d your meeting go?”

“Good. Got the last papers signed with those damned lawyers. The house should be open in a month or so. When Gina’s back from their honeymoon she and Angie are going to start interviews.”

Jenny smiled. “Caitlin would be proud, Sonny. It’s a really good thing you’re doing.”

That was another thing about her that amazed him. Most women would be jealous of Caitlin, or at least the idea of her. Not Jenny. She seem to have huge respect for his dead wife, saying how beautiful she’d been or how good her music was. She’d even insisted he keep wearing the wedding ring. “It’s part of you,” she said one night, “and I love all parts of you. It makes me feel like she sees us and approves.”

“I like to think so. At least it gives some of ‘em a second chance. Life’s hard enough without the streets dragging you down, too.” He grinned, uncomfortable with all the attention. “Anyhow, let’s have our drinks and get down to it.”

Trudy and Castillo came in not five minutes later, heading for their usual seats. Trudy slipped in next to Jenny, and the two of them started chatting away like sisters. It always surprised Sonny. They’d done that the first time they met and every time since then. Castillo looked over at him and gave the same ‘what are you gonna do’ look he’d given Rico minutes before.

“Sorry we’re late. Had a last minute fax come in.”

Sonny groaned. “Would you PLEASE just let me shoot that damned thing?”

Mindy laughed. “They’d just send another, faster one, Sonny. It’s the Federal Government.Fax makes the world go round, until they find something faster.”

Rico looked around. “Where’s Lester?”

“He had some tapes to change,” Castillo said. “At least that’s what he said.”

“I think he’s meeting up with Stan so they can go over stuff before tomorrow.” Trudy chuckled. “Gina and Stan got back this morning. Lester’s been all kinds of antsy ever since.”

“Sounds about right.” Sonny nodded. “Did she say if they had a good time?”

“Yes, they did. She wanted me to thank you again.”

“I’m just glad they had fun.” Sonny smiled, knowing it had been the least he could do for his old teammates. Gina for putting up with his shit over the years, and Stan for getting his best friend killed by being an overzealous asshole. He was just thankful they’d both forgiven him when he came back.

Trudy looked over the table, her brown eyes sparkling. “So I talked to Angie today. She agreed to help. Marty and I are getting married.”

“That’s fantastic news, Trudy!” Sonny looked over at Castillo, who just nodded. “Congratulations both of you! Just have Angie let me know…”

“It’s already settled.” Castillo spoke softly. “All you need to do is show up.” He looked from Sonny to Rico and back again. “It wouldn’t do for my best men to be late.”

Jenny squealed, a noise Sonny had never heard her make before. “I’m so happy for you, Trudy! And you, Marty! I know we just met, but I feel like I’ve known you both for years.”

Castillo nodded. “Maybe you have.”

She looked at him and smiled. “You might be right.”

Trudy took Jenny’s hand. “I’d like you to be my maid of honor.”

Jenny shook her head. “No. I’d love to, but you’ve known Gina so much longer. It should be her. You two have been through so much. But I’d love to be a bridesmaid. If you’d let me.”

Trudy met Sonny’s eyes across the table and mouthed ‘don’t let her go.’ He just nodded, touching her shoulder and feeling her smooth skin under his fingers.

Robbie appeared out of nowhere, like he usually did. “Must be good news the way you all look.”

Jenny smiled. “Trudy and Marty are getting married.”

“Well, no shit? Next round’s on me! Hell, I’ll join you. Congrats both of you!”

The rest of the night passed in a blur. Sonny stuck mostly to beer, taking a single shot of Black Jack in honor of Marty and Trudy. He’d promised Jenny he’d cut back, and he meant to keep his word. They left just before midnight, after Robbie promised he’d make sure everyone got home safe. “I’d love to stay,” he explained to Castillo as they started to get up, “but I’ve got a final meeting with the legal team in the morning and how the hell would it look if I showed up to a rehab house meeting half-drunk form the night before? Angie would kick my ass so hard I wouldn’t be able to sit down for a week.” He grinned. “But I am happy for you. For both of you.”

Castillo took his hand, and Sonny could have sworn he saw tears in the corners of the man’s eyes. “Thank you, Sonny. It’s how she wanted it.”

“And you’ll have anything you want. Just say the word.” He covered Castillo’s hand with his and squeezed. “It couldn’t have happened to two more deserving people.”

The ride back to the marina was quiet. Jenny spent most of it looking out the Ferrari window, and Sonny sensed a distance growing. After they pulled into his parking space, he shut off the engine and looked at her. “What’s wrong, darlin’?”

“I…” Her voice trailed off. “I don’t know. I’m kind of confused, I guess. I thought they were like us, and then this happens.”

“Jenny, it’s what’s Trudy wanted. Her family’s very church-going, and she grew up that way. Most of it fell away when she saw what life was like, but deep down she needs something like this. Marty…hell, he’d do anything for her. So he’s making this happen. And I’m helping them.” He looked out over the water, at the masts bobbing against the dark sky like distant trees shifting in the breeze. “Is that what you want?”

“No. Not right now, anyhow. We belong with each other. No one else needs to stamp that or file that away somewhere.” Her voice grew very small. “Maybe someday…I don’t know. But not now.”

“And that’s fine, baby. I don’t care about a church wedding. They don’t mean much. My first wedding was big. Her whole damned family and most of mine. Cait and I had a much smaller one…just some friends and that was about it.” He closed his eyes, letting the memories flow over him. “The first one was not so good. The second…well…you know how that ended. Church weddings and me don’t seem to get along.”

“I’m sorry. I’m being silly and upsetting you.”

“No. Don’t ever say your feelings are silly. I…hell…I’m not good with words. Never have been. But I love you, Jenny Walker. And if you want a wedding we’ll have one, and if not we won’t. All I know is I don’t want you out of my life. Not now. Not ever.”

She flowed into his arms. One second she was on her side of the car and the next she had her arms around him. “And that’s how I feel, James Crockett. I just…I saw how happy you were for him and I thought that was what you wanted.”

“Naw. Not if you don’t. I’m happy for them just because, not because of the wedding. It’ll make Trudy feel better, and that’s a good thing. But they’re together wedding or no wedding.” He smiled and kissed her, tasing her last drink on her tongue. “And now we’d better get to Vellamo before someone calls us in for public indecency.”

She smiled and slipped her dress up around her waist. “I don’t think that’s indecent. Do you?”

“Not in the least, darlin’. Now let’s get belowdecks.”

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

And Jenny, strange little Jenny who was more some kind of mermaid than a person, completed him in a way Rico hadn’t seen since Caitlin.

I'm happy that they are happy together!  But it makes me nervous for the future.  Especially with the following:

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

“It’ll be there. The target’s a cop. That bother any of you?”

While of course there are plenty of cops to choose from who could be the target, I'm on tenterhooks to find out which one it is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I'm happy that they are happy together!  But it makes me nervous for the future.  Especially with the following:

While of course there are plenty of cops to choose from who could be the target, I'm on tenterhooks to find out which one it is!

That's what I thought! 

• Like 1