Watching-Part 3

mjcmmv

PART 3

CHAPTER 10: Rewarded          Music: Par Avion by Mike & the Mechanics

September 1992: Gina’s Apartment, Miami Beach
Sonny

He was off for from work for the first time in ages, and so was Gina. 

A chance to spend time together instead of just passing each other at the office, like two sleep-deprived zombies … 

He arrived at her apartment with some ideas in mind and his eyes widened when he saw the disaster in her galley kitchen. It looked like she had dragged out every pot and pan she owned. Measuring cups and ingredients were scattered everywhere.  There was a brand-new cookbook propped open on the counter-top; a dishtowel was holding the page open. 

“Bread?” he asked, peering down at the recipe.

“It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while,” Gina said. “I’ve watched my aunt make it plenty of times. You’ll love it.”

He tried not to look skeptical. He had tasted Gina's cooking before.

“Okay, go for it,” he said, giving her an encouraging hug.

He poured himself some coffee and sat at the table to watch her knead the dough on the kitchen counter top. "Looks like she knows what she’s doing,” he thought, wondering where this sudden need to impress him had come from.  They’d been living on take-out meals the last month-one of the curses of being an undercover cop. So, maybe this was her way of making it up to him.  

He saw her determination as she grabbed the soft mound of dough in both hands, folded it over on itself, and pushed it down hard. She repeated this several more times, dusting her hands with flour after each cycle. She glanced back at him, panting. 

“Putting flour on my hands prevents it from sticking, you know.”

“Thank you, Martha Stewart!” he said, grinning from ear to ear. He tried not to laugh. Something told him she wouldn’t like it if he laughed. 

He could see a light sheen of sweat on her forehead and specks of white flour sprinkled across her nose.  She pushed back a strand of her hair. He was starting to feel sorry for her, wondering if all this hard work would be worth it in the end. After all, a bakery was right around the corner. And he grew up on Wonder Bread, so all this raving about home-made bread, was still a mystery to him. 

He brought his cigarette to his lips and inhaled. When he breathed out slowly, the smoke escaped above his head like soft, lazy clouds. He leaned back in the chair and settled in to enjoy the view. 

Suddenly, an interesting thought occurred to him, and no matter how hard he tried to ignore it, it just wouldn’t go away. Maybe it came from the rhythmic swaying of her body as she wrestled with the dough, or the little blue apron tied tightly behind her back. He studied her for a moment. Crushing the cigarette out in the ashtray, he stood and came up behind her. 

“Very domestic, Calabrese. I never stop learning things about you," he teased, slipping his arms around her waist. 

“Wait. Not now, Sonny! This has to be timed perfectly or the dough will never rise!””

“Oh, so that’s what you think you’re doing. Making the dough rise.” 

She laughed. “Very funny. You’re terrible, you know.”

“I know.” 

“Sonny, I…” 

He had turned her around and was pinning her against the counter. Struggling half-heartedly, she tried to swat him away. 

Uh, uh,” he said in a low voice.  He moved his face closer. “No arguing.” 

He kissed her, hard. 

When she finally broke away, she gave him a stern look. “I was doing this for you, you know.” 

He pushed the stubborn strand of hair from her forehead and smiled. “It’ll have to wait, darlin’. Right now, I’m hungry for something else.”

The sack of flour was pushed aside, and the cookbook fell to the floor with a soft plop. 

“You may not believe this, but I can cook,” she said, as he opened the button on her shorts

He grinned. “I’m sure you can, ‘Martha’. Show me later.” 

He lifted her onto the counter. His lips brushed against her cheek, ever so lightly. He saw her swallow.

“So, still want me to stop?” he whispered. 

She didn’t answer. 

He followed with feathery kisses on the side of her face and close to her ear. When his hand went under her shirt, he heard her sharp intake of breath. “How about now?” he asked with a wicked smile. Her head tilted back, her eyes closed, and he knew that he had her. 

“That’s good,” he told her.

He blew gently into her ear and he saw her shiver. Then he moved on to her neck and nipped along the smooth curve of her shoulder. 

“So, whatta ya think? Now?”

“No.”

He smiled again and pulled the t-shirt over her head. 

“You don’t play fair,” she murmured.

“You’re right-I don’t.”  

He kissed her lips gently this time. But she reached up and grabbed his face, kissing him back with a force he didn’t expect. Then, she gripped his shirt in her tight fists and pulled him hard against her. They fell back onto the countertop together. 

Somehow, they made it to the bedroom, leaving a trail of clothing in their wake. They made love all  afternoon, then slept for a while, wrapped together in the tangled sheets. Afterwards, they laughed in the shower as they took turns washing flour and bits of dough out of each other’s hair. 

“Can’t wait to taste your bread,” he teased, dabbing shampoo bubbles on her nose. 

“The bread’s history. I don’t mind, though.”  

He laughed and she hugged him. “You’re fun,” she said, looking up at him with those luminous eyes he loved so much.

He grinned. “Glad you find me so amusing!”

“I love you, you know.”

He took her face in his hands. “I know. I love you, too, Gina.”

After he had kissed her under the streaming water, her arms encircled his waist, her cheek resting lightly on his chest.  He closed his eyes and sighed. 

“This is how it should be,” he thought, remembering what it felt like to be alone. 

And for the first time in what seemed like years, he was rewarded with an overwhelming sense of contentment. 

*Note: This chapter was posted earlier, but I included it here again to keep the chapters in order. 

Chapter 11: Revelation

September 1993: Miami Beach

Gina

She carried the ice-cold sodas on a tray, watching the young man as he stretched out on the deck close to his father. 

Sonny had agonized over this visit with his son. It bothered him he’d missed so much of Billy’s childhood. Sporadic visits and Christmas phone calls only made him drown in guilt, especially when he sensed the boy’s smoldering resentment. Gina had encouraged Sonny to call. 

When the boy arrived Friday night, he seemed distant and uncomfortable. There was a hint of hurt in his eyes. But Sonny’s good humor and generous nature managed to gradually thaw the ice. For now, it looked as if the father-son bond could become strong again with just a little help. 

So, she insisted he take Billy out for a sail on the St. Vitus for a few days. “Go fishing,” she said to him. “It’s what fathers and sons do.”

He was grateful. “Wish me luck,” he whispered as he hastily kissed her goodbye.

“You don’t need luck, Sonny. The love is still there. All you have to do is rekindle the flame a little.”

“Always in my corner, Calabrese, no matter what.” 

“I’m in for the long haul this time.”

He laughed as he tapped the tip of her nose playfully. “You don’t know what you’re in for then.”

She shielded her eyes from the sun’s brilliance and looked up at him. “I’ve known you for a while now, Crockett. I know exactly what I’m in for.”

He studied her for a moment, his expression thoughtful. “Are you sure you don’t want to come? It’s great weather for a sail.”

“Not this time. Enjoy your son.”

When they were due back, she came to the dock to wait, hoping Sonny had managed to make things work. She saw the sail in the distance and knew at once it was the St. Vitus Dance. Her eyes were glued to the horizon, watching until she saw the boy waving to her and Sonny grinning as he guided the sailboat back into the slip.

Now, they were back from their trip a full hour and she could tell there was no longer any tension in the air. Both were shirtless, their skin bronzed by the tropical sun. Along with the same tousled blonde hair and boyish grins, the resemblance between them was unmistakable. The scene made her sigh. They seemed happy as they sat there together, drinking down sodas in contented silence. 

She had always known Sonny’s need to be a good father was a powerful force in his life. He often told her how much he wished he could make up for the past by doing things over again.

Maybe now, he’d have the chance…

She shuddered with apprehension, wondering how he’d react to what she was going to tell him. Commitment had never been one of Sonny’s strong points.

“How am I going to do this?” 

Even though she knew he loved her, it had come as a complete surprise when a year ago, he suggested they move in together. Living under the same roof turned out to be good for their relationship, bringing them closer and defining them as a couple. But making the arrangement permanent had never been brought up for discussion so she wasn’t exactly sure where she stood.

“My flight’s at eight, Dad,” she heard Billy say.

“Oh, right, son. Slipped my mind,” Sonny said with obvious regret. “Guess I hated to see it end.”

“We get a winter break in February.”

Sonny grinned. “Then February it is.” 

The boy smiled back, confident this time his father would keep his word.

“Bye, Gina,” Billy said as he pecked her on the cheek.

“Come back soon, Billy. It was great to see you.”

“Thanks, I will.”

Gina had always liked Billy. Direct and to the point, like his Mom, Caroline. Full of mischief like his Dad. Having him here had been good for her, too.

By the time Sonny got back from the airport, the sparkle of the Miami skyline was already beginning to light up the bay. Gina gripped the arms of the chair when she heard him come onto the deck.

“Hey, beautiful,” he called out cheerfully, pulling a deck chair over and sitting down next to her.

“You both looked like you were enjoying each other, Sonny.” She glanced at him. “It was a good visit, wasn’t it?”

He was silent for a moment. “More than good, Gina. It was a revelation of sorts.”

She seemed puzzled. “Revelation?”

“I got my son back. I didn’t deserve it, but somehow, I got this great kid with a heart full of forgiveness. Thank God he never gave up on me.”

“That’s no surprise. Look at his father; a man who is so loving and loyal. Must have rubbed off, don’t you think?”

His smile was grateful. “Yeah, well, this whole week made me start to think about the future and all.”

Her stomach muscles tensed.

“Listen, you and I… we’ve kind of left things hanging. I’ve been wanting to bring this up for a while anyway and I guess this weekend’s family time was just the whack on the head I needed.”

Now, Gina bit her lip. “I need to tell you something, Sonny.”

“Wait, wait. Let me finish. I’m on a roll, Gina. I need to get this out all in one breath or I’ll lose my nerve.”  He pulled his chair around, so they were facing one another. 

“Let me start again.” He paused for a moment. “So, we’ve been back together for a year now.”

She was silent as she looked down at her hands.

“Yeah, a whole year,” he continued. “Maybe not the easiest year for you, but, a miracle of sorts for me.” He put his hand under her chin and lifted her face until their eyes met.  “I know what I’ve got, and I don’t want to let it go. What I’m trying to say is… I love you and I want us to be together, for always.”

Gina’s eyes widened.

“Ah, hell, Gina! It’s hard enough for me to do this without you giving me that look! I’m asking you to marry me, damn it! There, I said it!”

Now, she laughed. “How romantic, Crockett. How could I refuse?”

“You know what I mean,” he chuckled. “I should have asked you a long time ago, but then I wasn’t sure how you’d feel about the “forever” part. At least not until you were sure I was staying put this time.”

“Good point, but I’m past worrying about that by now.” 

She wanted to hug him close and give him the answer she imagined she’d give him so many times in her dreams. Instead, she said, “Sonny. I love you too. But there’s something you have to know.”

Disappointment registered in his eyes. “Ah, okay… you’ll want to think about it, I guess. Maybe it’s not what you want right now…I’m sorry. I thought…”

“No, you don’t understand! This is all I’ve ever wanted!” she cried, tears spilling over onto her cheeks.

He frowned. “Then you’re right, Gina. I don’t understand.”

Sighing unhappily, she turned her head and gazed out at the water. “I’m pregnant, Sonny.” Her voice was so soft, he had to lean forward to hear her words.

“Pregnant?” 

“Yes, six weeks.”

“My God…Gina!” 

She peeked up at him and was relieved to see his eyes were dancing with excitement. 

“I don’t want you to feel forced into anything. I understand if this changes things.”

“Changes things? No way, lady.” His voice was soft and tender. He pulled her over on his lap and put his arms around her. 

"This makes things better than ever. You and me... parents! Do you know what this means?"

"Yes, I do!" she laughed. "It means diapers, bottles and two am feedings. That's a repeat performance for you Crockett. Are you sure you are up for it? After all, Billy's fifteen. That's a pretty big gap." 

"This time," he said without hesitation. "This time will be perfect." 

She heard him sigh as he brushed his lips against her cheek. “Thank you, Gina.” he murmured. She thought she saw the bright sparkle of tears. 

"Marry me," he asked. 

“You know I will, Crockett,” she answered.

Chapter 12: Regard

December 1993: Metro Dade Headquarters
Sonny

He knew an officer from the Juvenile Division was on the other side of the glass, waiting to swoop in and muzzle him if he overstepped his bounds. Danny Santiago was slouched against the back of his chair, staring into space. 

Crockett glanced at the clock. Nine am. Funny. No lawyer yet. It never took this long for these baby-faced drug couriers to get sprung. Sonny suspected the kid was worrying he might have been abandoned. Maybe Danny’s fear was something he could exploit a little. Win his trust. Convince him the only way to salvation was to cooperate with yours truly! 

How old was he, fifteen… sixteen tops? He had seen his kind before, but rarely alive and still in one piece. Many times, Sonny would be the one writing a report to homicide after a young kid like him was found shot to death by a rival dealer. None of them had families. No one claimed the bodies. These kids were the forgotten ones and the drug world considered them expendable.

Crockett was alone when he made the arrest late last night. He spotted Danny and another suspected courier, Willy Domingo, trading paper bags in an alley near a fast food take out. Not hard to figure out what was going on. Sonny came up behind them, identified himself, and whamo! Willy threw a cup of soda  into Crockett’s face. It blinded him temporarily and gave Willy the time he needed to disappear over a fence. But Danny wasn’t as lucky. Tripping on some trash strewn on the pavement, he hit his head on a metal dumpster, stunning himself long enough for Sonny to recover and slip on the cuffs.

Crockett yawned with exhaustion and fixed his weary eyes back on the kid. “So, you’re the big shot I’ve been hearing so much about,” he growled. “Little young to be playing with the big boys, aren’t ya?”

Danny glared back.

“Hate to tell ya this, pal, but you could be looking at some serious time… unless you decide to cooperate.” 

The coke they had found in the bag was worth a bundle. Its value made Sonny salivate with dreams of a much bigger catch, waiting for him right around the corner.

“You can’t question me without a parent…or a lawyer. So, get the hell outta my face, cop! I got nothin’ to say.”

“Tough guy. I’m not impressed.”

Again, the silence.

The door opened and Gina entered, a stack of manila folders in her arms. “Crockett. Can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Stay put, buddy. I’ll be right back,” Sonny muttered.

Settled in a swivel chair in the squad room, Crockett rubbed his temples as he sipped the black coffee Gina had poured for him.

“Okay, whatchya got?” he asked.

“One of the Juvenile officers filled me in. Danny Santiago. Just turned sixteen. Homeless. Father abused him and his brother until they both finally ran away. That was two years ago, and he’s been on his own ever since. Until six months ago, he and his brother lived in a corrugated box by the highway.”

Crockett scowled. Juvie’s gonna love this one…   

“The JD officer thinks he’s been running “errands” for a local pimp and drug dealer by the name of Hector Castaneda.” She leaned against his desk and put her hand on his shoulder. “Danny’s an addict, too, Sonny. Been on drugs since he was thirteen.”

Gina was already in her fifth month and recently, Sonny noticed certain cases got to her more than others, especially when a kid was involved.  He tried not to act impatient. 

“I know about Castaneda. He’s bad news. And he’s got more boys under his thumb than I care to count. It’s the same old story, Gina. It’s sad, but we can’t save them all. Besides, busting them is  our job, remember?”

“Sonny! That doesn’t sound like you. I thought you wanted to make a difference.”

“Come on. That’s not fair. When I see a spark of remorse, I make the necessary phone calls to make things happen. But this kid’s in deep. Sure, I know. He doesn’t have anyone to stick up for him. But we don’t have time…”

“Sonny, stop. Listen to what I’m saying.” Her voice was soft and soothing as she took his face into her hands. “I want you to try and help this kid. I talked to him for a little while when he first came in and I’m telling you, I saw something… I can’t put my finger on it, but I think we can reach him. Please. Can’t we at least try? Tell me. How could it hurt?”

Crockett was in the business long enough to know busting dealers didn’t go far in stopping the tragedies he witnessed on the streets. Rehabilitating the junkies didn’t have much of a success rate either, but maybe it deserved a shot with this one. After all, Danny was a kid…Gina was right. How could it hurt?

Christmas music could be heard coming from a car radio out in the parking lot. It depressed him. He looked around the office at a staff member’s feeble attempts to make the place look cheerful. Someone had hung up some imitation garland with red plastic bows. The little “Charlie Brown” tree by the doorway was more the subject of good-natured ridicule than a symbol of holiday cheer.

“Okay, babes, if you think you can get to him, by all means, give it a try.” 

She smiled. “No, sweetheart. I want you to talk to him. He spoke to me earlier because I didn’t come across as a threat. But the respect wasn’t there. You’re the one who dragged him in here. Imagine his reaction when  you surprise him with an offer of help instead of jail. How would it feel, do you think, knowing you gave a kid with no hope a second chance?”

She gazed up at him as if confident he’d do whatever she asked.  He loved it when she looked at him like that. Her swollen belly pressed against him and he fought the sudden urge to grab her. Instead, he kissed her on the nose and chuckled.

“Okay. When you put it like that, how can I resist?”

Her eyes sparkled. “Thank you, Sonny. I knew you’d come through.”

“Yeah. Right.” 

Sonny glanced over at the two-way mirror by the interrogation room and sighed. This wasn’t going to be easy. First, he’d have to convince the courts he had the kid’s interests at heart. Then, if he was lucky, take a few days to wear the kid down and get him to accept his help. Gina made the whole thing sound so simple. But he had witnessed the realities of drug addiction long enough to know better. 

Walking over to the JD officer waiting to see the boy, he started to introduce himself and realized he knew the guy from a previous case.

“Jack,” he said, greeting him with a handshake and a grin. “Nice to see you.”

“You too, Sonny.” 

Jack stared into the two-way mirror. “We’ve had our eye on this one for a while. He’s a bright kid. If they had placed him with a family when social services discovered the abuse, he might have had a chance. But you know how it is. The department’s under-staffed, under-funded. And then, the father managed to slip out of their grasp and take his sons back to Puerto Rico for a year. Social Services lost interest and the case was left in some manila file buried on someone’s desk. Now look at him. The system failed him,  like it’s failed a million other kids like him.”

“I think we could work something out.”

Jack was surprised. “Oh, yeah? What’d you have in mind?”

The two men put their heads together and after a brief discussion, Crockett glanced over at Gina and winked. 

Castillo had just come out of his office and Sonny saw him nod.

“Yes, Lieutenant?” 

“The lawyer for the Santiago kid’s here. She’s demanding his release. Claims there was an unlawful search and seizure.”

Sonny snorted. “Unlawful my ass. I ordered the two kids to stop; they dropped the bag and ran. It was that simple.”

"That will be for the courts to decide.”

The young woman approaching from the outer office, caught him off guard. Petite and young, she was dressed in a crisp, well-tailored suit, carrying a leather briefcase worth probably more than Sonny’s weekly take-home. She was anything but the typical representation for a case like this. Drug dealers were known to go for the sleazy, back-street lawyer types.

“Detective Crockett,” she called out as she approached him. “I do believe you’re interrogating a client of mine and you questioned him without my presence!”

“Hold it, hold it. We read him his rights and then let him cool his heels in the interrogation room. He got a sandwich and a can of soda, courtesy of the Metro Dade police department. There were no rubber hoses or cattle prods. I promise you.” 

She refused to look at him. “I hope not. Now, where is he?”

Sonny nodded toward the interrogation room and leaned against the wall to watch as she strode confidently toward the door.

“Aren’t you going to do something?” Gina asked anxiously. “They’ll spring him and then you’ll never be able to find him.”

“Don’t worry. Just wait and see.”

As the pretty young lawyer reached for the doorknob, JD officer Jack Simmons cleared his throat.

“Excuse me, counselor?”

Annoyed, she turned to face him. “Now what?”

“Before you go in there, may I talk to you?”

She approached him, a frown creasing her lovely forehead.

Gina watched the interaction with curiosity. “What did you do, Sonny?” she whispered. He gave her a tight smile and waited for the fireworks.

“Oh no!” they heard the lawyer shout. “You have no right… no jurisdiction…”

“On the contrary,” they heard Jack say. “I have every right. And as far as jurisdiction goes, Danny is underage. There’s no parent here to represent him and it’s up to me to make sure he is given every opportunity to get help. He needs therapy, a chance to finish school. In short, he needs to be placed in a loving, nurturing environment. Releasing him back onto the streets would be the real crime here, don’t you think, counselor?”

Jack was talking loud enough for the entire office to hear him, and Sonny grinned when he saw the lawyer’s face flush. No doubt she was hired to round up these kids and return them to the boss. This was probably the first time she’d met such stiff opposition.

“Let me talk to him and then tell me what you’re considering.” she snapped. She had to at least make a stab at looking like she cared.

“Sure,” Jack answered.  “Go ahead. I’ll be waiting right here to take him into custody.”

She frowned and entered the room to greet her client. “Danny, hello. I’m Karen Baxter. I’m your lawyer. Now, tell me how they’re treating you?”

The door closed and Crockett glanced over at Jack, mouthing a grateful ‘thank you’. Jack gave him a halfhearted wave and Sonny could tell the guy was having his doubts. 

Hell, he wasn’t sure he could pull this one off, either!  If Danny didn’t agree to cooperate and tell them his source, they may not get a judge to give the kid a break.

Gina squeezed his hand. “Nice job, Crockett. I gotta go. I’m due in court in an hour. Fill me in at dinner tonight, okay.”

“Dinner? Sorry. This little play needs to be wrapped up before I go anywhere. Breakfast tomorrow is more like it.”

She swallowed hard and he immediately regretted his insensitivity.

“It’s for a worthy cause, and I’m long overdue for a little old-fashioned dose of good will, that’s for sure.”

“‘Tis the season, Crockett,” she whispered, reaching up to kiss him on the cheek. “Call me at least and tell me what happens.”

He held her close one more time, feeling her pregnancy through the thin dress and imagining the child she was carrying for the two of them. The thought made him humble. Unlike the kid in the next room, this baby they created together was going to be lucky enough to have the promise of a future.

He kissed the top of her head. “I owe you big time,” he prayed, to a God he sometimes forgot existed. 

“Love you,” she said.  She pulled away and headed for the swinging doors.

“Love you too,” he murmured.

And glancing down at the morass of papers on his desk, he began to organize the files for the upcoming courtroom battle, hoping he’d find a way to outwit the devil once again.

Chapter 13: Just a Cop 

March 1994: Pedrosa’s Yacht: ‘La Morena’
Pedrosa

Hector Castaneda came to him with a plan. 

“Danny, one of my couriers, was busted several months ago. I sent the solicitor to spring him and she came back to tell me the judge just slapped him on the wrist.” Hector laughed. “Imagine being caught red-handed with a bag full of coke and the court looks the other way!”

“They released him?”

“Well, no. The cop who arrested him and the JD officer in charge,  spoke at the hearing and convinced the judge Danny needed rehab.”

“That’s unusual.”

“I know. I did some digging and found out the arresting cop’s name. Sonny Crockett. Isn’t he the undercover cop you tangled with in July?”

Pedrosa stiffened. “Yes.” The word came out like a shot. 

“One of the other boys brought Danny to me when he got out. I asked him when he was coming back. He told me he had a job, lived in a halfway house and was planning to go  back to school. In other words, he wasn’t coming back.”

The silence in the air was thick. Castaneda seemed anxious.

“So, Crockett’s working on him. Do you think Danny cooperated?” Pedrosa asked

“No. If he did, I’d be in a cell by now. But he’s helping the boy for a reason, so maybe he’s working on it.”

“We can’t let that happen.”

“This is my plan, Carlos. We’ll be able to control Danny and take Crockett down at the same time.”

“I’m all ears,” Pedrosa said. 

Hector and a few of the boys found Danny skateboarding at a local park by the water. Danny wasn’t happy to see them.

“You took me in, and I know I owe you. But don’t ask me to work for you again.”

“No, I’m not asking you to come back. I just want you to meet an important man who’s been asking about you. He’s very powerful and can help you get back on your feet.”

“I’m doing fine on my own.”

“Danny. Do this as a favor to me. He won’t be happy if I come back without you.”

“What does he want? I’m not in this line of work anymore. How can I be of any use to him?”

“Just hear what he has to say. That’s all I ask.”

“You’re sure you can trust him?” Carlos Pedrosa asked the following afternoon Hector Castaneda was getting old and Pedrosa wondered if he still had the energy to control a gang of adolescent delinquents. But Castaneda seemed unconcerned. 

“I told you, he won’t have a choice. His brother is family. Crockett’s just a cop.”

“A cop who’s showing him a way out. That might be enough to make this little punk turn.”

“Carlos, Carlos.” Hector shook his head and clicked his tongue as if to scold the brooding Columbian. “You must trust my judgment on this. He’s been working for me since he was fourteen. I took him and his brother in when his own father tried to beat them to death. I’m his family now.”

“Bring him to me. I want to see for myself.”

Pedrosa stood waiting by the sliding glass doors and peered out at the restless ocean. He was moody, frustrated with this forced exile, brought on by the fiasco last July on his  yacht. The memory of Burnett’s contempt filled him with rage! And the singer, Gina. If it hadn’t been for Angela recognizing her, he might never have caught on to their game. 

“His real name’s Sonny” Crockett”,” Angela informed him. “He just came back to Vice after a three-year leave. Some of the girls who knew him in the old days, say he’s a real hard-ass. And Gina…Gina’s real name is Gina Calabrese. She’s also a part of the Vice Squad.  She’s been on my back for over a year now. I’m surprised she didn’t recognize me that night.”

“Why was Crockett on leave from Vice for three years? Was it a medical leave?”

“I’m not sure. I know his wife was killed by a sick dude named Hackman, and her murder was related to one of Crockett’s cases. I wasn’t around then-you’ll have to ask the other girls.”

Something to consider…

“Carlos,” a soft voice called behind him. “Carlos, this is Danny Santiago.”

Pedrosa faced the doorway and made eye contact with the young man he saw standing there. Danny Santiago was young, but Pedrosa recognized a hardness in his eyes. Instead of cowering in fear, his posture was erect and proud, his mouth set with determination.

“Do you know who I am?” Pedrosa asked, knowing full well Castaneda had been coaching Danny for the past half hour.

“You’re Carlos Pedrosa. You’re from Columbia and you’re a powerful man. Now, tell me what you want, while I decide whether you’re worthy of my respect.”

Pedrosa heard Castaneda’s sharp intake of breath. “What’s the matter with you? I told you, this man is important! You can’t talk to him that way!”

"It’s all right, Hector. If I need to earn his respect, then I will.”

Pedrosa walked away from the window and came closer to inspect the boy. His eyes probed as if hunting for weaknesses.  

“You’re right. I am rich and I am powerful. There are many who respect me in my home country. Now, I want the same respect and loyalty from the people in Miami.”

He heard the boy snort with contempt. “What good is loyalty when it comes from fear? Someone more powerful will come along and then you will see your trusted soldiers blow away in the wind!”

“I think you would be wise to listen.”

“It seems to me I have no choice but to listen.” 

Pedrosa chose to ignore the boy’s insolence. “So, you were arrested and detained by the Metro Dade Police last December. Give me the details.”

“I got caught with the goods; an undercover cop busted me. I can’t always outrun them.”

Pedrosa walked behind his desk and took out a manila file. He opened it and began to read aloud: “Danny Santiago. Hispanic, male. Age 16. Arrested for possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell; and resisting arrest.” 

His eyes fixed on Danny. “Okay. We knew this much already. Then what happened?”

“Whatta you mean what happened? I went to jail, that’s what happened!”

“Yes, I know. But afterwards. You didn’t stay in jail. Why did the judge let you go?”

Danny appeared puzzled. “I… I went to a rehab to dry out. Somewhere uptown. You knew that. Why all the questions?”

“I want to know who arranged for it?”

“Not Señor Castaneda, that’s for sure?” the boy muttered.

Pedrosa heard Castaneda’s sigh.

“Answer the question. Who arranged for the rehab?”

Danny glanced at Pedrosa with suspicion. “The cop who arrested me. He was trying to get me some help.”

“I want the cop’s name.” 

Now, Danny appeared anxious. It pleased Pedrosa when he saw some of the defiance fade from his eyes.

“His name is Crockett. Sonny Crockett.” Danny looked away. “But then you knew that too, I’m sure.”

“This Sonny Crockett. Has he been in contact with you since you got out of rehab?”

“No.” 

“Careful.  I have ways of finding out the truth. In fact, I may know the truth already.”

Danny was quiet for a moment. “He got me a place to live and he got me a job,” he said at last. “And now he’s helping me finish school.”

“I see. Most cops I know are pretty hard on junkies; even young ones. Why all the interest in you?”

“Don’t know,” Danny mumbled with a shrug.

“You don’t know?” Pedrosa closed the file and walked closer to Danny. “Maybe you’re feeding this cop information.”

“No. The cop felt sorry for me. I didn’t tell him anything!”

“You expect me to believe they just let you off, no questions asked? You were arrested for possession of a controlled substance with the intent to sell. That’s a felony. I don’t care how young you are, that’s a heavy charge! Some kind of deal must have gone down.”

“I…I told him my brother, Chico got the coke from a dealer and gave it to me to sell on the street. I never mentioned anyone else.” 

“And they bought this?” 

“They must have. The charges were reduced, as long as I went to rehab. Now I’m on supervised probation.”

“And who’s doing the supervising?”

“A probation officer.”

“But Crockett is still hanging around, talking to you. Perhaps he suspects you have more to tell.”

“He’s been good to me, that’s all. I swear.”

“He’s expecting something in return for all this help. He’s manipulating you, Danny. Cops are good at that…and he’s one of the best!”

He closed Danny’s file and pulled out another one from the stack.

“You were right. I know a few things about this cop.”  

He opened the file Roberto Ortiz and Julian Padilla had put together so far.

“James Sonny Crockett,” he began.  “Detective with Miami Metro Dade/Vice. Works undercover as “Sonny Burnett”. Lives on a yacht when on assignment, posing as a drug courier. Uses a Scarab powerboat for his drug running assignments.” 

He stopped and looked up. “It goes on for a bit describing some of his techniques and summarizing the cases he’s had in the past. But that’s not important to me right now. I need to know more personal things. That’s where you come in. You’re close to him. You are young, eager, anxious to please. I need to know about his habits, names of family members, where he really lives, where he plays...”

“What! Are you crazy? He doesn’t discuss anything in front of me. He’s smart, very smart. Forget it. I can’t help you.” 

Castaneda came up behind Danny. “He is not making a simple request, son. It’s an order.”

“He can order all he wants. It’s not gonna happen! The only time I see Crockett is when he picks me up from the half-way house and we go places. We fish, he takes me to my job…buys me sneakers. That’s all. I’ve never seen where he lives. And all we talk about is me and what I’m doing!”

“If Crockett believes you are grateful and cooperating, he will relax a little. Information is bound to slip out.” Danny remained sullen, his eyes staring at the floor. 

“Look at me, Danny!” Pedrosa shouted.  His voice became low and soft. “You’ll continue to act naturally around this man, and he will never suspect you’re pumping him for information. I want you to report to Hector every day.” Pedrosa closed the folder and stood.  “Don’t let me down.” 

“Why?” the boy asked. “Why is this cop so important to you?” 

“The reasons are not your concern.”

“And what if I can’t give you what you want?”

Pedrosa was expecting this. 

“Your brother, Chico. When did you see him last?”

“That useless piece of shit? Last time I saw him, he was sleeping behind some dumpster in an alley. Forget him; he’s fried, Pedrosa.”

“I don’t think you feel that way, Danny. Chico helped you escape your father. You love him. Your plan is to get clean and them help Chico get well too. Isn’t that so?”

Danny was silent.

“Chico is here… with me, on my yacht. And he will remain here, as long as I need you. Do as I ask, or he will suffer. Do we understand each other?”

The boy shuddered.

“Keep your eyes open and stay close to Crockett. Ask him for advice. Tell him you need a man like him to guide you. It will appeal to his pride.”

“I… I can’t do this.”

Pedrosa leaned close to the boy. “Chico needs you to be strong.”

Danny bit his lip.

“Castaneda will arrange the times you must report. Go. You have work to do.”

The boy stood and left without a word.

“You’ve misread him,” he said to Castaneda after the boy left. “I don’t believe his brother has a hold on his loyalty at all.”

“His indifference was an act. I guarantee it.”

“I want results, not promises.”

“Have I ever let you down?” Hector asked.

“We’ll see, Hector,” Pedrosa said. Pedrosa was sure he saw fear in the old man’s eyes. 

Pedrosa sat back in his chair after Castaneda left, and thought about the meeting with Danny Santiago. 

The boy had said something that intrigued him: “What good is a loyalty when it comes from fear?” It was a wise observation, and its relevance was not lost on Pedrosa. But fear was also a powerful weapon; one he had depended on his entire life. 

He poured himself a brandy and went back to the window. Calmer waters had replaced the choppy waves and Pedrosa took this to be a good omen. 

“Your time is coming, Crockett,” he thought. 

And after sipping the brandy and feeling the warmth spread through his chest, Pedrosa smiled for the first time in many days.

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 3

Great chapter!  I recognized major changes in the first scene :)  I liked it fine before, but the new stuff was excellent!  But you've got me worried about Carlos Pedrosa! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Great chapter!  I recognized major changes in the first scene :)  I liked it fine before, but the new stuff was excellent!  But you've got me worried about Carlos Pedrosa! 

Ah, yes....the first scene... Kinda knew that was coming...

16 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

But you've got me worried about Carlos Pedrosa! 

More to come. We will see!!!

Love your comments, vicegirl! Thank you and glad you're liking it so far. 

14 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I liked the love scene with Sonny and Gina. :)

It's gonna be interesting, how the story will continue further. 

Thanks, Summer! Love your feedback! Working on the rest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Reading Vicegirl's comment, now I can't help, but wonder what those major changes were in the first scene. :)

LOL...no comment!!!

• Haha 1

So... I must say, it was a really good read. Although Sonny was a bit eager there. The situation literally got out of hand, haha. You were good with describing the action and emotions, so it could be pictured in the head. Especially love to read about the interaction between Sonny and Gina. =)

Edited by summer84
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

So... I must say, it was a really good read. Although Sonny was a bit eager there. The situation literally got out of hand, haha. You were good with describing the action and emotions, so it could be pictured in the head. Especially love to read about the interaction between Sonny and Gina. =)

You're the best, Summer. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I liked this a lot! And reading these stories makes me play in my head how the scene would look and the actor sound like if this had been a TV episode :)

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 8:44 AM, sdiegolo78 said:

I liked this a lot! And reading these stories makes me play in my head how the scene would look and the actor sound like if this had been a TV episode :)

That means a lot. Thanks for commenting!