Watching-Part 6

mjcmmv

PART 6
Chapter 24: A One-Man Operation
April 3, 1995
Sonny

Early one morning, Castillo announced he wanted to speak to them.  Four detectives drifted into the office conference room and waited for him to make an appearance.

Crockett was there first. His coffee finished, he stared at the clock, watching with weary eyes as the second hand circled for the seventh time. He had never been a clock-watcher, but now that his transfer was approved, he was anxious to close his cases and move on with a clear conscience. The academy classes were beginning in a few weeks and Jeff expected him to be there.

Rico arrived several minutes after Sonny. His mood was somber. No smile, just a nod when he greeted his partner. Trudy was off to the side, her eyes half-closed after pulling a second all-nighter. Stan was in the back, his chair tilted back, looking bored. Sonny straightened up, afraid he might be showing the same disinterest.

They all sat in silence until the door opened and the lieutenant entered, carrying a stack of folders in his arms. “His name is Roberto Ortíz,” Castillo announced as handed the folders out, one by one. Each contained a two-page report and a shiny photograph of a young Hispanic male. His dark penetrating eyes stared back with defiance; the half-smile on his face showed an air of arrogance.

“Thirty years of age. A newcomer from Columbia. Heavily involved with the cartel and anxious to get a foothold in Miami. Our job is to make sure he doesn’t.”

Martin took a seat at the head of the table. “The cartel authorized him to move millions of dollars-worth of cocaine and drop it into the hands of major distributors in Miami. He will be determined to make this work.”

Sonny felt his first stirring of interest. “Do we know if he is aligned with anyone else?” 

“We know he’s been on our shores for the past year. This week, he announced his intentions. He is waiting for an offer.”

“A year! And we never heard of him before? How can that be, Lieutenant?”

“The reason should be clear after we start digging. In the meantime, I suggest we establish contact before it goes too far.”

“So, he’ll need transportation, I imagine. Maybe even a buyer.”

“Yes. Actually, it was one of your own informants who came forward with this, Crockett.”

Sonny looked over at him. “Oh, yeah! Who?”

“Izzy Moreno.”

Sonny snorted. “Oh great! Now we have all the facts!”

“I wanted to be sure before I made this into a full-blown investigation. Most of what he told us has checked out so far.”

Sonny was surprised Castillo hadn't given them the job of making sure Izzy was on the level. “Who did the checking?” he asked.

“I did.”

Another surprise.

“You and Rico were busy with the Solotzo case and we’ve been down a man with Gina out,” Marty explained. “I couldn’t risk it. Moreno isn’t always reliable.” 

"Ya got that right," Rico said with a laugh. 

Sonny glanced over at his partner. He picked up the thread. “So, Izzy has the inside information on this? You’re telling me I have to go out of my way to contact this little worm and listen to his crap? Hope we’re gonna get better intel than this if we’re gonna stop Godzilla from invading Tokyo.”

At first, Castillo said nothing, and Sonny felt the heat from his stare. “I’ve been communicating with the DEA on this and they agree. The man is a serious threat.”

“Okay, Lieutenant. I’m on it. I’ll find Izzy today.”

“Keep me posted.” 

Now, the only sound in the room was the sudden click of the air conditioner as it turned on with a burst of cold air. “Damn,” Crockett thought, rubbing his forehead. “Damn! Another day out there in the oven!” He glanced around at the others. 

“Go home and get some sleep, Trudy. I’ll let you know if anything develops.” He saw the relief on her face.

“Thanks, I’m beat.” She staggered toward the door and left without looking back.

“So, when you’re ready for surveillance Sonny, let me know,” Stan said with a yawn. “I need to write up some reports and I’d like to get started if you don’t need me now.”

“Sure, Stan. Looks like it’s a one-man operation at the moment, anyway.” Sonny glanced over at Rico. “What about you?”

Rico’s stared at Sonny for a second. “Excuse me,” he muttered. “I need to make a phone call. I’ll be right back.” He got up and walked out before Sonny could think of asking why. 

Now what?

Okay. So, they all ran out on him. Fine. Izzy wasn’t the most difficult guy in the world to find. 

“So, ‘you’re telling me you heard this from a friend of a friend?” Crockett was annoyed.

“Yeah. This guy I know, hees friend just got out of the slammer. He heard it from one of the guys who used to work for Morales up in Jacksonville. That guy’s been inside for three years, I theenk.”

“Okay,  so then your friend heard it from a friend who heard it from a guy who has been inside the pen for the past three years! What ya trying’ to pull on me here, Izzy? This sounds worse than a game of post office!”

“Not true, Crockett! This Ortíz-hees for real! In fact, I heard hees already made contact with a few interested players. I wouldn’t waste time if I were you. This guy wants to score, and fast!”

Sonny felt a stab of urgency and knew he was hooked. “Okay. Do you have a way of communicating with this boy-wonder?”

“As a matter of fact, yes.”

He didn’t bother to ask Izzy how. Better the little guy kept his methods to himself for now. “Let the man know I’m around and I’m interested in having him contact me. He can reach me on the St. Vitus. Throw in the fact I have the fastest cigarette boat in these parts and if he bites, then there might be something in this for you.”

“There better be, Crockett. The last time I stuck my neck out for ju, I almost got my head chopped off by a crazed biker and his tattooed girlfriend.”

Sonny laughed. “Oh yeah! I forgot about those two. Well, no harm done. They’re being well taken care, living out their days in separate housing, courtesy of the state. You won’t have to worry about them for at least, oh say, the next twenty-five years!”

A shudder shook the little Cuban from head to toe. “With the chances I take for ju, it’s a wonder I am still able to walk the streets without getting a knife stuck in my back. The least ju can do is give me a little advance, Crockett. I have bills to pay, ju know. All this dangerous yakety-yak is not for free.”

For the first time since he’d been doing business with the Cuban, Sonny actually felt sorry for the guy. Against his better judgment, he reached in his pocket and forked over five twenties. “

Here’s an advance. Don’t spend it all in one place, buddy. And buy yourself something decent to wear, will ya please?”

Izzy’s eyes widened. Behind the coke bottle glasses, they looked like the bulging eyes of a giant goldfish. “Ah… thanks, Crockett. I… well, it’s nice doing business with ju. Ah. Okay. I’ll call you. I mean, I’ll call him. Yeah. Okay. Nice, real nice. You letting me keep this, right?”

Sonny put his arm around him. “Don’t mess this up Izzy. This one feels real important and I want to wrap it up quickly. Comprende?”

“I won’t let ju down, my friend. That’s a guarantee.”

Sonny pulled up to the front of OCB and turned off the engine. Rico was coming down the steps.

“Did you find Izzy?” 

“Yeah. We talked.”

“And?”

Sonny sighed. “Get in. I’ll give you the lowdown if you’ll tell me what’s been eating you all day. Then maybe we can clear the air and get some work done around here.”

Opening the door, Rico slid into the seat and pulled the door shut. Sonny took off his sunglasses and waited for Tubbs to open up.

“It’s starting to hit me,” Rico began. “It’s coming to an end. An end for you and me. Guess I’m having a tough time getting used to the idea this time.”

Sonny took in a deep breath and put a hand on Rico’s shoulder. “I’m sorry, Rico. I’m not looking forward to breaking up the partnership, either. It doesn’t mean the friendship’s over, though. Our friendship’s forever, buddy. The last time we went our separate ways, I almost disappeared off the face of the earth. This time, I have both feet planted on the ground.”

“I know and believe me, I’m glad things worked for you. But, now, I may have to go away for a while.”

“What’s going on?”

“Valerie. The department suspended her again. This time, I don’t think she going to beat it.”

This news hit Sonny hard. “What happened, Rico?” 

“She killed a kid. Shot him during an attempted drug bust. Val insisted she saw a gun. Turns out the kid didn’t have a weapon. Even her own partner didn’t support her. When she realized she didn’t have a leg to stand on, she turned in her gun and her badge.”

Memories of a similar situation he’d gone through hit Sonny like a powerful punch. “Man. I’m sorry to hear that. That’s rough.”

“She’s pretty despondent about it. I was going to go up to see her this weekend. She told me to stay away. I don’t know if I should ignore her or what. We haven’t been on the best of terms, especially after I left without saying goodbye. She needs a friend at the very least.”

“Does she have a good lawyer?”

“Yeah, one of the best. The bad thing is, she doesn’t want redemption. She feels she deserves to be punished. I’m afraid she might be her own worst enemy, Sonny!”

Again, Sonny heard the words and thought back to his own struggle with despair. He could still hear the mournful beeping of the mechanical respirator as it struggled to keep the young boy he’d shot, alive. “I can understand, Rico. If she gets help, she can learn to live with this eventually. This is her third strike, though. Sounds like her days of police work are over.”

“Yeah. We’ll see.” Rico sighed. “In the meantime, I’m with you on this one, Sonny. I’ll do my best not to let this distract me, I promise.”

“Think of all the times I’ve been a million miles away, buddy. I promise, if I see ya drifting, I’ll give ya a poke, okay?”

Laughing a little, Rico settled back against the comfortable headrest. “Okay. Tell me about the meeting with Izzy. What nonsense is he trying to sell us this time?”

Sonny filled him in, leaving out the part about the many sources feeding into the story, preferring to do the worrying about it himself. He also left out the part about paying Izzy a portion of his reward ahead of time. If he heard that one, Rico would think he’d gone soft in the head.

“I’m goin’ back to the boat to wait for the call. Izzy is supposed to give Ortíz my number, so he should be calling soon. Want to come over and do a little fishin’?”

“Yeah, okay. I’m calling Val and I’ll be over in an hour or so.”

“Sounds good, Rico. Tell her I send my best, and she can call me anytime, if she needs to talk.”

Chapter 25: Bodyguard
Sonny

Sonny could hear the phone ringing as he walked along the dock. “Damn!” he muttered, sprinting toward the St. Vitus. He jumped aboard, thumping hard on the deck, and fumbled with the lock on the hatch. Already, he counted six rings.

“Hello, hello!” he shouted into the receiver. Dead silence taunted him. Furious he missed the call, he was about to hang up when he heard the sound of amused laughter.

“Burnett?” a voice rumbled. “What happened? You fall down a flight of stairs or something.”

“Yeah, something like that. Who’s calling?”

“My name’s Roberto Ortíz. You don’t know me, but I heard about you from a mutual friend. He tells me you are the man to see around here when it comes to moving merchandise in the right direction.”

“Well, it all depends.”

“On what?”

“On who the hell you are, for one!”

A soft chuckle tickled his ear. “Of course. I’m someone who’s part of a powerful organization. The people I work for are anxious to move their product and they’ve commissioned me to act as their broker, so to speak.”

“And just what is it you're trying to move, Señor Ortíz?”

“It’s not something I’d broadcast over the airwaves, Burnett. So just let’s say it’s a product you are very familiar with and leave it at that. I was told you know just about half the well-heeled buyers in Miami. And you have a fast boat.”

“True.”

“I’d like to meet with you.”

“When?”

“In an hour.”

Sonny looked at his watch and frowned. Rico would be on his way by now. “I need a little more advanced warning, Ortíz. I already have an appointment.”

“Cancel it.”

Sonny looked at his watch again. “Okay. Where?”

“There’s a little restaurant over on the other side of the bay, El Pirata. You know it?”

“Yeah. I’ve been there.”

“Good. Then I’ll see you at four. Don’t be late.”

The line went dead, and Sonny stared at the phone for half a minute. Considering the traffic, it might take more than an hour to get there. If he left right away, he might just make it. Scribbling a note on a spiral notebook telling Rico where he was headed, he propped it up against the hatch.

Rico,
I got the call from Ortiz around three. He wants to meet at El Pirata’s. He insisted I meet with him now and I don’t want to lose him. Crack open a beer and I should be back no later than six.
Sonny

Traffic was lighter than usual, and Sonny made better time than he expected. He entered the busy dining room and a pretty young hostess approached him.

“The name’s Burnett,” he told her. “The Ortíz party.”

“This way. Señor Ortiz is waiting,” she answered. She gave him an inviting smile and began to lead him toward the back of the restaurant. As she walked in front of him, her hips swayed under the long peasant skirt.  It didn’t take much to realize her little provocative show was being put on for his benefit.

Sonny glanced over at the bar and made eye contact with a familiar face. The bartender knew him well and gave him a friendly salute. If something funny happened, Jim would know enough to call for reinforcements.

“Here you are.” The pretty young thing in the peasant skirt opened the door to a private room and nodded for him to enter. 

The lighting was soft. Candles flickered from the breeze created by ceiling fans turning lazily above. Two men sat at a small table in the corner looking over at Crockett with mild interest. 

The one on the left was a large man, wearing a black shirt, a gold chain and puffing on a long cigar. His eyes were small and piercing. A bushy tuft of hair seemed to sprout directly from his nose and sit haphazardly on his upper lip.

The other man was younger. His build was slight, his mocha complexion offset by lustrous eyes, as black as night. Sonny recognized him from the photo Castillo had given him. 

Roberto Ortiz grinned as  Sonny approached, revealing a set of milk white teeth. “Señor Burnett, welcome,” he said, standing up and putting out his hand. “I am Roberto Ortíz.” Sonny accepted his hand with a slight nod.

“I trust the traffic was tolerable?” 

“I was lucky. Usually it’s impossible at this hour.”

“I’m glad. So, be seated. What will you have to drink?”

“Bourbon. Straight up.” Sonny looked around him as he sat down. His eyes adjusted gradually to the dimness and he watched the big man sitting across from him release large clouds of cigar smoke that floated up toward the ceiling. The giant’s eyelids drooped, making him seem relaxed enough to fall asleep.

“Who’s your partner?” Sonny muttered, making it clear he didn’t appreciate the rudeness.

Ortíz laughed. “Oh, this is Felipe. Felipe Cortez. Don’t mind him, Señor. He is my driver. And, my bodyguard.” 

“Bodyguard? So, you need a bodyguard, Ortíz?”

“You think I’m a lightweight, Burnett?”

Sonny shrugged. “I don’t know you. I never even heard of you before today. What’s so important about you that requires muscle?”

“Before I answer your question, let's talk for awhile. Even though you come highly recommended, I want to find out some things for myself.  You need to know a man before you can trust him, don’t you think?”

“I’m not someone you put on your payroll, Ortíz. I work for myself. Whatever you’re pedaling, if you want me to set you up with a buyer, it can be arranged. And, if you need a fast boat to transport your merchandise, I can be of service with that too. After that, the relationship is over.”

“That seems reasonable.”

A waiter walked into the room, carrying a tray laden with drinks.

“Ah, gracias, Paulo.” Ortíz waved his hand.

“My reputation's solid,” Sonny continued after the waiter left. “And my boat is built to take the punishment.”

“Yes, but is it fast?”

“It’s been known to outrun anything the Coast Guard can throw at it!”

Ortíz’s face remained impassive. “Okay. I’ll accept your word, since my source supports what you say.”

Sonny thought of Izzy and tried not to let his face betray his contempt. “So, do I pass inspection, or are we going to play this game back and forth all night? I have another appointment. I don’t want to insult this other guy any more than he has been already.”

Ortíz looked down at the table and swirled his drink for a moment. “There’s a shipment of cocaine I need to move quickly. It’s a large amount and because of this, it needs to be done in stages. Trying to move it in bulk is too risky.”

“Naturally.”

“So, this is where you come in. You let your buyers know what we’re offering. You arrange for payment and you set up the transfer.”

“My fee is steep.”

“Reliable service is never cheap.”

Sonny grinned. “Okay. Here’s how it works on my end. We set up a date, you bring a sample of the product and I bring the good faith money. You let me test it and if I like what I see, then you fork over two keys for my customer to eyeball. Once they tell me they’re happy, we go from there.”

“ Let me think about it and get back to you.”

“There’s nothing to think about. That’s the way it is.”

“I’m a careful man. I am not impulsive, nor am I foolhardy.”

Sonny drained the last of his drink and stood. “I’m late for my next appointment. I’ll be going now.”

“So soon? I thought you’d share a meal with us.”

Sonny frowned slightly. “I don’t think so, Señor,” he drawled. “Mexican food doesn’t agree with me as a rule. You have my number. After you’ve finally made up your mind, give me a call. If I’m not in, the machine’ll pick up.”

Ortíz sat back. “Good night, then.”

“I wouldn’t wait too long, if I were you. My response to the demand is strictly on a first come first served basis.”

“I’ll keep it in mind.”

Feeling as if he had been dismissed, Crockett turned and strode out of the room attempting to appear nonchalant. It puzzled him as to why things hadn’t gone as well as he’d hoped. The guy was obviously anxious to unload his shipment in a hurry.

“Pompous little prick!” he muttered to himself as he hurried into the parking lot and climbed into his car.

He started the engine and checked over his shoulder for un-coming traffic before easing out onto the busy two-lane highway.

“No doubt he’s making sure,” Rico reassured him. “Probably trying to see if you really are the best bet for his money.” He took the fishing pole from Sonny and let the line drop into the water.

“Well, if that’s the case, he’s going to have trouble finding someone who’ll do it for less. I get the impression this guy is dealing with a lotta blow. Besides, he wants someone reliable and I’m the best he can get.”

Rico chuckled. “You got that right! Plus, you’re the only fool out there who acts as if he’s invincible.”

“True.” Sonny grinned. “So, what time you think we’ll be hearing from him, Rico?”

“Oh, I’d say you should be getting a call from this joker at least by tomorrow morning.”

Sonny frowned. “Tomorrow! No way! I got Ortíz on the hook for sure. He’ll be calling tonight. In fact, I’m willing to bet the phone will be ringing within the hour.”

“You got yourself a bet,” Rico laughed, as he looked at his watch in the fading sunlight.

They sipped their beers in silence, enjoying a rare moment of peace together. The sun was about to set behind the Miami skyline, rays bursting from the horizon like shooting flames. It was times like these Crockett was glad he’d changed his mind a while back and rejoined the human race.

The portable phone began to chirp, and Crockett’s eyebrows shot upwards like two question marks. “I wonder who this could be, Rico?”

Rico frowned.

“Burnett!” Sonny barked into the receiver.

“Okay, Burnett. You passed.”

“Ortíz!” Sonny grinned, holding out his palm out to Rico. “Glad you didn’t wait too long. I already got them lined up outside my door waiting for the chance to stuff my pockets with some hard-earned cash!”

“Happy to hear business is good. But after this job, you won’t need to work for those smalltime dealers anymore. This job is going to make you very rich.”

“Well, good, Ortíz. I certainly hope so. I could use some R and R. So, what’s the arrangement?”

“Friday night, midnight. We’ll meet down in the Warehouse District near the entrance ramp to the highway.  Seventh Court. I’ll be sitting in a dark blue van in a lot by Sturgis Brothers Storage. Bring  forty-thousand in cash. I’ll bring the two keys.”

Sonny cringed. Three days! He’d have to work fast to get that kind of money on such short notice. “Okay. I’ll put out some calls. How do I reach you?”

“You don’t. I reach you. Don’t expect to hear from me before Friday, Burnett.”

“Right. Okay. Friday night then.”

“Oh, and Burnett. Come alone. If I see anyone along for the ride, the deal is off. That’s the way I do business.”

“I never travel alone. It isn’t healthy. You with the bodyguard should appreciate that.”

“I also never do business with a fearful man.”

“Oh yeah? How about a foolish one?”

“It’s up to you, Burnett. I offer you an opportunity to sample some of the purest coke ever to come into Southern Florida. A shipment worth millions! I don’t have to deal with you at all, Señor. There are plenty of others who can offer me what I need.”

Sonny felt he was close to sealing the deal, and he knew from experience if he insisted on this point, he might come up empty handed. “How do I know you’re not going to rip me off and leave me lying in a ditch somewhere?”

“Don’t insult me, Burnett. I’m a businessman, not a thief. Remember, I want to make friends in Miami. I did a lot of research to find you and you’ve impressed me. If anyone else is included in this deal, they will have to be checked out the way you were. That takes too much time.”

Sonny sighed, weary of the game already. “Okay, Ortíz.”

“My driver, Felipe Cortez will be with me. And my right-hand man, Julián.”

“I see. I come alone and you bring an army.”

“Julián’s my business partner. He is very gentle, I assure you.”

“And what about your boy, King Kong? He doesn’t seem like the business-type to me.”

“In my country, if you want to live until a ripe old age, you need protection. I’m not comfortable enough in America to let old habits die.”

The guy was not going to budge. Sonny wondered how Castillo was going to react when he heard about this arrangement.

“I’ll come armed, though.”

“Of course. If it makes you feel more secure, I have no objection.” The voice carried a hint of scorn. 

“That’s real generous of you, Ortíz. So, I look forward to doing business with you.”

“As do I, Señor Burnett. Until Friday night, my friend.” Sonny heard a click in his ear.

“I ain’t no friend of yours, Sen-yor! ” Sonny muttered , throwing the phone off to the side.

“Hey, Crockett! Careful!” Rico yelled. “Your phone almost landed in the bay! What’s the deal? This guy playing with your head, or what?”

“I’m not sure, Rico. He’s insisting I come alone. Not exactly the trusting type, is he?”

“Forget it. Too risky.”

Sonny leaned against the railing and looked out at the bay. “It’s just a prelim. He has lots more than two keys to play with. If I don’t go along, we could lose him. Then, we’ll have a lot more cleaning up to do when he turns to someone else and his shipment hits the streets.”

“Sonny, no. You don’t know enough about this guy.”

“He seems legit.”

“What if something goes wrong? You’ll be outnumbered and on your own.”

“I’ll wear a wire and you and Stan can be nearby just in case.”

Rico stared.

“I can’t afford not to, Rico. I’ve already established contact. It would take too long to set up something else.”

“Then introduce me as a buyer who insisted on meeting him before parting with my money.”

“No. Ortíz said if I show up with anyone, the deal’s off. I can’t reach him, so the arrangement has to stand the way it is.”

“Wire, huh,” Rico muttered. “The whole thing sounds like suicide to me.”

“Naw, Rico! I’ll promise him the moon and he’ll be drooling all over himself to get started. No way will he kill the guy who’s gonna give him the golden egg.”

“Good luck convincing Castillo. Not to mention Gina.”

Sonny frowned. “She knows what this job is about.”

“That all went out the window when she married you, my friend. Now she sees danger on every street corner.”

“I get it. She’s gonna have to turn her head away one more time. She knows that after this assignment, I’m out.” 

He tossed the empty beer can into a bucket and glanced over at Rico. “Want another one, or shall we call it a night?”

“I’m done. It’s been a long day and you should get some sleep, Sonny. You’ll need an early start if you’re going to get the money together in time.”

“Yeah, I know,” he said, pushing the hatch open and climbing his way down to the bed below.

Chapter 26: Rewire
April 7,1995: OCB 
Sonny

Earlier in the day, he’d gone over the details with Castillo and Tubbs, and felt he was prepared. All he had to do was coax information out of Ortiz and get him to say something incriminating. Then he and Rico could accumulate evidence to build an airtight case. He’d done this to other low-life bastards many times in the past and this time would be no different. 

He watched the technician tape the last of the transmitter’s delicate wiring to his chest. The shirt he put on this morning was thin, but he was confident his jacket would hide the bulk nicely. 

Rico watched from the back of the room, trying to look calm but failing miserably. “I still don’t like it,” he was saying. “You’re going in alone, and the nearest backup will be a block away.”

“This again, Tubbs? Look, I told you. As far as Ortiz is concerned, this is just a friendly get together with a guy who’ll make him lots of money. Whacking me would be bad for him and bad for business.”

“Maybe. Even so, I’m surprised Castillo’s on board with this.”

“He asked Metro for more bodies, but they balked. Said they’re spread thin as it is.” He chuckled. “Guess it's just me, and of course, my two buddies in the big green van.” 

Sonny patted the transmitter and looked over at the technician. “You sure this thing is working, Matt?” he asked. “Don’t leave me hanging out there.”

“That’s the beauty of this model, Crockett. No beeps or bleeps. This way, you don’t have to pretend you’re having indigestion if they hear something suspicious.”

Sonny grinned and reached for his jacket draped on the back of the chair. “Good. I remember one assignment, I almost had my head blown off when some static came out of my back pocket. 

Matt cracked up. “Those old models were bad news. It’s a wonder we didn’t lose more guys than we did with those babies.” He studied Crockett once more and cocked his head to the side. “You’re all set. And try and take care of this one. They cost a bundle and I’m sick of filing out requisitions for replacements.”

“Like I had a choice,” Sonny grumbled. “That last guy got suspicious and rolled me down a flight of stairs until I bounced like a cork. Better for me the bug got squashed instead of my head!”

Rico followed him to his locker and watched him strap on his ankle holster. “So, What’s Gina think about this?”

“Well she’s not too happy. Gave me some flack about going in without you.” 

Sonny pulled his pants leg down and looked over at his partner. “I understand Gina, but why are you so jumpy, Rico? We aren’t always together on the streets. Sometimes a sting like this calls for just one person.”

“He’s an un-known, and for me, that makes him dangerous. Our intel wasn’t that reliable either. Let’s hope his informants aren’t good enough to find out who you really are.”

“My cover’s solid. All he knows is, I’m a mean son-of-a-bitch with a boat that has speed and can handle the load.”

“Yeah, maybe. But I have a funny feeling about this one, Sonny. I can’t explain it. Something’s off. “

“Relax partner. Everything’s under control.”

“I hope so. Anyway, Stan has the van set up and we should both be in place before you get there. What’s the code word if we need to move in?”

“Code word? We don’t need a code word. Nothing’s gonna happen! Stop sweating so much! You’re starting to make me nervous!”

Rico smiled uneasily as his partner winked an eye and turned to leave. 

“Later, Rico,” he shouted as he slung his jacket over his shoulder.

“Yeah. Later,” Rico answered; his face tight with concern.

“Damn, eleven fifteen already,” Sonny muttered, glancing at his watch. “I need to call Gina.”

The office was deserted except for the janitor emptying wastebaskets into a large bin he pulled behind him. “Hey Crockett!” he shouted. “You plannin’ to spend the night here, or what?”

“Naw, Rick. Got a late date.” Sonny grinned. He picked up the phone and dialed. After three rings, she answered. 

“Hey. It’s me,” he said.  

“I was beginning to wonder if you’d already left.”

“I’m about to. Baby okay?”

“Sure, she’s fine. She loves being with Aunt Rose.”

“Get some rest and I’ll be back to the boat to catch some shut-eye with you real soon.”

“Call me when it’s over, Sonny.”

“It’s going to be fine. I promise. The meet’s at midnight. Rico and Stan promised to take care of the paperwork. I’ll be five minutes or so from the marina so I should see you about two, two-thirty the latest.”

“Be careful, Sonny. I love you.”

“Love you too, beautiful.” 

Sturgis Brothers Storage, Wynwood                                                                                      Music: Soldier by Fleurie

The white sports car was easing into a sharp curve when suddenly, Sonny was able to see the St. Vitus moored in the distance. The Miami skyline outlined the scene, bright lights cascading into the bay like an electric waterfall. The magical sight never failed to mesmerize him, no matter how many times he saw it. The traffic signal at the upcoming intersection turned red, and Sonny slowed to a stop, listening to the powerful engine purr while he waited for the light to change.

Ortíz had arranged to meet him in front of Sturgis Brothers Storage, near the I-95  ramp. Not the best part of town, but he understood why it was chosen. Made up mostly of warehouses and garbage-strewed lots,  it was almost guaranteed to be deserted at this time of night.

The light changed and he hit the accelerator. As he approached the storage facility, he glanced down one of the darkened alleyways and saw the familiar green surveillance van hidden in the shadows. He slowed down.

“I’m at the corner, Stan. Blink if you can see me.”

The van’s headlights clicked on and off. He smiled. Rico and Stan had their head-sets on, ready to “rock and roll”.

A little further on, he saw Ortíz’s dark blue van parked in front of the metal doors of the storage facility. He pulled over and relaxed, intent on studying the situation before moving in. 

The van looked empty. No lights on in the building, either. Things were a bit too quiet.

Impulsive as he was, Sonny was experienced enough to know carelessness in this business could be lethal. Negotiations were rushed and now, Sonny regretted letting Ortíz manipulate the terms to his advantage. Still he had nothing concrete to back up his concerns-just an inner radar buzzing in his head. Frustrated, he looked at the building again and dismissed his worries with a sigh. 

“Might as well get this over with,” he muttered. Pulling the keys out of the ignition, he climbed out of the car, dragging the case of money with him. The few streetlights that worked, flickered on and off. Sonny stood by the car for a moment until his eyes got accustomed to the dim light. He approached the van, hit the side twice and waited. He heard a rustle from inside and the back door opened. 

A small, bearded man emerged and cocked his head to the side. “Señor Burnett, welcome. I am Julián. Please, come aboard.”

Sonny hesitated. “Where’s Ortíz?”

“Oh, he should be here any minute. Señor Ortíz was detained but it was unavoidable. He asked me to send you his apologizes and assure you he’ll be along within the hour.”

Sonny got the message. Ortíz was on a power trip and wanted him to know he was calling the shots. He made a point to look at his watch and raised his eyebrows. “Twelve-twenty, Julián. It’s already twenty minutes past post time and I’m a busy man. Fifteen more minutes, and I’ll be gone.”

“He’ll be here. Come inside, please. A police cruiser might drive through and you don’t want to have to answer a lot of questions if they see you standing out here.”

Sonny glanced into the back of the truck. Felipe Cortez was sprawled in a chair, an automatic pistol resting in his lap. His eyes were half-opened. Sonny could tell he was being watched closely. “Slumming tonight, Cortez?”

The big man stirred and then smiled lazily. “I am not the only man who guards Señor Ortíz. Tonight, he’s with another driver.”

Reluctantly, Sonny climbed into the van and Julián closed the door.  The three of them sat together, waiting in the gloom. Very little air was circulating in the closed space, and Sonny already felt the sweat begin to trickle down his back. 

“It’s hot tonight,” he said.

“I have beer in the cooler, Señor.”

“No thanks.” 

He could feel Cortez’s eyes staring at his shirt and probing the contours of his jacket. “If you’re so hot, take off the coat and be comfortable, Burnett.”

“I’m comfortable enough.” He looked down at his watch again. “Now, it’s almost one. What’s going on?”

“I told you. He’ll be here, Burnett.”

As if on cue, the sound of an idling engine could be heard outside. The door jerked open and Ortíz climbed up the step into the back of the van.

“Burnett,” he nodded.

“You’re late!” Sonny muttered.

“I had important business. I couldn’t put it off.”

“So,  I guess you’re saying this isn’t important.”

Ortíz smiled. “On the contrary. Burnett. You are my number one concern tonight.” 

“Then prove it, Ortíz. Let me test a sample and we’ll see how pure it really is.”

“Did you bring the money?”

“Yeah. It’s all here.” Sonny pulled up the case he brought and placed it in front of Ortíz. He snapped the locks and opened the lid, displaying the crisp new bills, in neatly wrapped rows.

“This should make them happy in Bo-ga-ta!” he said with a satisfied grin.

Now, Ortíz gave Cortez a signal. The big man reached behind him and handed a metal suitcase to Ortíz. Sonny had already fished out his penknife and the small glass tube he used to test drugs for purity. He could run the test with his eyes closed, he’d done it so many times.

Ortíz handed Sonny a plastic bag full of white powder. “The best I’ve ever seen in a long time. Well worth the price.”

“We’ll see,” Sonny answered. He slit an opening in the bag and eased out a small amount of the powder, tapping it into the tube. He shook it quickly and waited for the chemical reaction. He smiled when he saw the color change. 

“Very nice, Ortíz. I’m impressed.”

“So, before we agree on the number of keys, Burnett, tell me again about your backing for the rest of the shipment.”

“You sound like you don’t trust me.”

“I must answer to a very important man, Señor.”

Sonny shot him a look. “You’ll get your money.”

“Humor me.”

After all the slick maneuvering Ortiz had pulled on him, it irked Sonny to give him anything more. “I’m going to say it again. Once I assure my people the shipment is primo, they’ll give me the order.”

Ortíz looked down at his hands. “You tested the sample. It’s genuine. Why all this back and forth negotiating? My boss will not like it. It wastes too much time.”

“Too bad. He can take it or leave it.”

“Relax, relax. So, we have a deal, then?”

“Yeah. You keep the money and I take the sample and the two keys. You’ll hear from me in a couple of days.”

Sonny imagined the tapes turning in the surveillance van as he spoke. The conversation they were having was golden. The only thing missing was the name of this “boss” Ortíz mentioned. “When do I get to meet the top banana?” he asked.

Ortíz laughed. “As a matter of fact, I’m expecting him to come along any minute. He wanted to meet you too.”

This surprised him, but he took it in stride. “Is that so?” Sonny looked at his watch. “When do you think he’ll make his grand entrance?”

“Like I said, Burnett. Any minute now. Meanwhile, you and I should try to keep cool. How about a drink? I insist we toast to celebrate our new business arrangement. Unfortunately, I did not bring champagne,  but as Filipe told you, we have beer.”

Already Sonny felt like he was suffocating from the stench of unwashed bodies. At that, moment, a cold beer was beginning to sound pretty good. “Yeah. Okay, I could use one, I guess.”

Julián lined up four cups on the floor behind Sonny and was pouring cold beer into each one waiting a moment while the foam bubbled to the top.

“A celebration, Señor!” Ortíz said with a grin. He handed a cup to Sonny and raised his own in a toast. “To the success of our business relationship!” 

Sonny lifted his glass to join in the toast, and nodded while the other men drank.

“Why aren’t you drinking?”  Ortíz asked. “It’s insulting to the host not to accept his offer of hospitality.” 

Irritated, he brought the cup to his lips and took another sip. 

Ortiz glanced over at him. “Come on, Burnett. Live a little! You’re about to become a very rich man! Drink up; enjoy yourself!”

Sonny glared. Sighing, he drained the cup. 

“More, Señor?” Cortez asked. 

“No. That’s enough.”

“So, tell me about your boat, Señor, Ortiz was saying.  “The Scarab. I hear it’s a beast that can outrun anything out there. Do you ever race?”

The conversation was starting to piss him off. “God, I’m tired of this shit,” he thought. He was starting to feel a little light-headed.

Damn this heat …

“No, I don’t race.” he answered. “That would invite too much attention … not good in my line of work.” 

He ran his hand along the side of his face. The sweat was trickling down like tiny rivers. His eyelids felt heavy. His head nodded forward, and he pulled up with a jerk.

“Are you sure you don’t want another?” Cortez offered, ready to add beer to Sonny’s empty cup. 

“Ah, no…enough...I…I don’t…” Sonny was trying to get his words out, but his tongue felt swollen. His hand went to his forehead and the empty cup fell to the floor. 

Cortez stood and moved quickly, wrapping an arm around Sonny’s neck and clamping a large hand over his mouth. Sonny tried everything he could to pry Cortez’s fingers away, but his coordination was off, and his hands were useless. His windpipe was being crushed, but he managed a harsh gurgle, praying the sound would warn Rico he was in trouble. 

The back of the van opened, and a figure slipped into the shadows. The doors closed with a soft click. He heard someone snap his fingers and the truck’s engine began to hum. Then, the driver made a three-point turn and the van shot out from the parking lot.

Sonny heard a low chuckle and forced himself to focus. A face from his nightmares loomed into view. 

Carlos Pedrosa

Now, he struggled in earnest, arching his back and kicking his feet out at anything he could reach. Cortez responded by tightened his hold, cutting off Sonny’s air supply enough to force him to stop. He closed his eyes as everything began to spin. They tore his shirt down the front, exposing the wires taped to his chest. Then, they found the microphone under the lapel of his jacket.  

Crockett’s heart sank. The deal had been a trap all along, planned and orchestrated from the very beginning by Carlos Pedrosa. His stomach lurched as the van took a corner on two wheels. 

“Ah, Señor. I am happy to see you again,” Pedrosa said. He reached under Sonny’s jacket and took his weapon. His hands continued to travel down Sonny’s right leg until he found the ankle holster. 

A cold numbness traveled from Sonny’s feet up into his legs. Within minutes, his body went limp. They pulled his arms behind his back and he felt them bind his wrists as he reluctantly gave in to the blackness.

Chapter 27: Reconnaissance      Music: “Brothers in Arms” by Dire Straights
April 8th, 1995: Interstate I-95
Rico 

Rico was frantic. There was no sign of the dark blue van. Now, he was watching the traffic on the I-95 flow to a trickle and realized they were about to get caught in a bottle-neck up ahead. 

“Damn it, Stan! Now what?” he shouted.

“Maybe they got off at one of the exits.”

“I doubt it. We would have seen them.”

“Well then, they never got on the highway at all. Maybe they doubled back through one of those alleyways. I kind of lost sight of them after that last turn.”

“God! I was sure they went for the highway. See if you can get any remaining signal from that damn bug!” 

“I’ve tried over and over, Rico. It’s dead. I think they found it.”

“Great.” Rico’s voice cracked with emotion. 

Stan put his hand on the detective’s shoulder. “I say we go back. Maybe they never left the area.”

“Okay. Better than just sitting here.”

Rico saw Stan brake as he approached the next exit and swerve in front of a car, cutting it off and almost causing a nasty pileup. Angry horns blasted. He could tell Stan was beyond caring. Stan pushed the van to the limit, hitting the exit ramp at a mean seventy.

“Take the service road back,” Rico shouted. “Run the red lights if you have to.” He took out the bubble and slapped in onto the dash. It started to flash a beacon of red into the darkness. The radio crackled to life. “Update.” It was Castillo.

“No sign of them, Lieutenant. We saw them head toward the highway, and then they disappeared. We’ve gone two exits and now we’re going back.  We think it’s possible they slipped into one of those empty buildings. It’s the only answer we can come up with.”

“Meet me at Sturgis Brothers.” They heard the click when he signed off.

Rico looked at his watch. “Almost two-thirty. We lost sight of them almost an hour ago.”  One hour was way too long to be out of touch with an undercover cop on an operation like this. Rico eyes swept the road praying for a miracle. 

They came to the lot where the van had been parked and stopped. Except for Sonny’s car, the area was deserted. They saw Castillo’s car turn the corner, and he was standing at the van window before they could open the door. 

“Highway Patrol has been alerted,” he told them. “They’re getting a chopper in the air.”

“That’s good. I guess.” Rico put his head in his hands. “I don’t get it, Lieutenant. They were talking together in the van one minute, offering Sonny a beer and then, silence. By the time we realized the truck was moving, it was already too late.”

“Rico. Think about it. The way it went down. It was planned to happen this way.”

Rico looked up.

“He walked into a trap. They knew he was a cop. They overpowered him when he least expected it, and guessing he was wearing a wire, they gagged him.”

Rico stared. All the worrying he’d done, and the warning bells he’d heard clanging in his head. Why didn’t Sonny hear them, too?

“I told him this felt wrong!”

Castillo looked over at Sonny’s car, parked under a streetlight. “If anyone should be regretting this, it should be me.”

“Sonny was not going to take no for an answer. He wanted to set this guy up bad. We all tried to talk him out of it. Even Gina tried.”

"I should have pulled him out. Or at least, insisted on more back-up. Instead, I let him do it his way.”

“He was convinced it was an introduction and a two-key exchange. They brought the coke-I heard Sonny comment on the purity after he tested it. If they suspected he was a cop, why let it get that far?”

“The deal was a lure. They didn’t want to negotiate a buy. They wanted him. It’s the only thing that makes sense.” 

The thought Sonny was the target made Rico’s anxiety climb to a new level. If this was for revenge, Sonny could be dead already. He jumped down from the van’s cab.

“I’m taking the walky-talky and I’ll start searching the area. Stan can drive in the other direction and look for any signs.”

“Keep the radio open. I’ll report on the chopper’s activities.” Marty returned to his car. 

Rico looked over at Stan. “You take the northern most grid, and I’ll zig zag through these streets on foot. They disappeared pretty fast, so they must be hiding out somewhere near here. Listen for my signal and be ready to come out with your guns blazing.”

“Take it easy, Rico.  We’ll find him.”

“Just keep thinking like that, my friend. It’s a lot better than what’s going on in my head.”

Stan gave him a thumbs-up and peeled off toward the Northern side of town.

Chapter 28: Your Turn
April 8th, 1995: Wynwood, Miami

Sonny

Sonny opened his eyes and winced. His head was pounding. When he tried to move, pain ripped through his arms and wrists. The confusion began to lift and the memory of what had happened, came back to him with a punch.

“It should be wearing off by now,” he heard someone say. “How much did you give him?”

“The dose was light.”

Someone nudged Sonny with his boot. “You’d better pray he comes around soon.”

“This is gonna bring down a lot of heat, Carlos. Castillo will never let this rest.”

“Let me worry about Castillo.”

Sonny swallowed hard, trying to control the nausea. He’d had plenty of hangovers in his day, and he could tell this one was going to be a beauty.  His stomach rebelled, and he vomited violently.

“He’s out of it now. Get him up.” 

Someone yanked him to his feet and held him so he could stand. Swaying a little, he looked around, trying to figure out where they’d taken him.  It looked like an abandoned warehouse with cardboard boxes and a few barrels lined up against the dirty walls. The windows were boarded over. 

He closed his eyes for a moment, hoping to regain his balance when a frightening thought occurred to him. From the outside, he was sure the warehouse appeared deserted. Unless Rico and Stan kept up, there was no way they’d ever find him. 

“So. I’m sure you know why you’re here,” Pedrosa said. He was standing close.

Sonny picked up his head and stared. “Considering all the trouble you went to,  I’d say you’re going to kill me.”

“You’re right, Señor.”

They stood for a moment, staring at each other, hostility sparking between them. 

“So why don’t you cut the restraints, Pedrosa. I’m not going anywhere. At least let me die with some dignity.”

Pedrosa laughed. “I don’t think so, Señor.”

Sonny smirked. “I guess it’s easy being tough when your enemy’s defenseless.”

Pedrosa was silent and Sonny knew he’d hit a nerve. “Untie him.”

It was Cortez who cut the bindings. Blood rushed into Sonny hands, making them itch and burn as circulation returned. He rubbed his wrists. 

He could tell the Columbian was studying him. “This little game of cat and mouse we’ve been playing; it’s been interesting,” Pedrosa said. “You bait me to return to Miami; I lure you into a trap of your own making. Who’s the winner this time, do you think?”

Sonny looked back at him without answering. 

“Your problem is, you care too much about what happens on the streets of Miami. Every time you try to distance yourself, your conscience gets in the way. That makes you predictable. I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist this deal, and you didn’t disappoint me. 

“Good for you,” Crockett muttered. 

“You act like a hot shot who thinks he knows the score, parading around in your designer clothes with your fancy cars and fast boats. You think you’re a player. But you’re not. You’re nothing but a burnt-out cop who can’t seem to figure out where he belongs.” 

Sonny glared. That was a reference to his former life, and proof Pedrosa had been digging. “Get to the point, Pedrosa.”

“The point? The point is,  I’ve lost time and money because of you and your unit. And, you’ve made me look weak. That can’t go unanswered.”

“Then, why don’t you just get it over with, instead of all this useless yammering.”

“Don’t be in such a hurry to die. Hold on to life as long as you can. Besides, there are things I must tell you that I know you’ll find interesting.’

Sonny’s eyes narrowed.

“Did you know I was part of the Death Squad in my country?” 

Why answer... you're gonna to tell me anyway...

“Of course, you knew. I’m sure you and your department found out a lot about me. That’s how you win a war, isn’t it? You need to know your enemy.”

He took off his jacket and Sonny saw the Barretta in his waistband. 

“I set out to learn all I could about you. Where is your real home, who are the people in your life?  It wasn’t easy. Your department protects your identity. But you, yourself, gave me the opening I needed. A while back, you tried to help someone on the street; someone young and weak. You should have known better. Addicts aren’t trustworthy, or loyal. All they care about is getting their next fix; and they’ll do anything they can to get it. Even if it means hurting someone who cares.”

It wasn’t difficult to figure out who he meant. Sonny thought back to Danny Santiago, the young addict he’d arrested and then, tried to help. 

“Danny was making a new life for himself. That is, until you stepped in and dangled his brother’s life in front of him,” he growled.

“Yes, I agree. That turned out to be a good incentive.”  He paused and looked at Sonny. “You’ll be happy to know, he refused to spy on you at first. If we hadn’t grabbed his brother, Danny might never have cooperated. He was very unhappy, giving us the information we asked for. It was obvious he admired you.”

Small comfort now. But at least he knew he’d reached the kid. Sadly, saving him had never been in the cards. 

“He told us enough. You work undercover. The car isn’t really yours. The boat’s a front. In the real world you live in a nice house, with your wife, Gina, and a young child. Isn’t that so?”  

Sonny’s eyes widened. He lunged at Pedrosa, but Cortez pulled him back.  “Leave them out of this!” he shouted.

“No. Gina made me look like a fool and that’s something I can’t forget.”

Music: Standing on the Outside by Meatloaf

Sonny’s heart filled with despair. So, it had come to this!  Risking his life, time after time, in the line of duty, finally caught up with him. And now, Gina and Emily were targets. The thought of not being able to protect them was more than he could bare. 

“They’ll find you,” he said. “The DEA knows it was you who killed their agent in Lauderdale.”

Suspected me. There’s a difference. They never found any solid evidence and they won’t this time, either.” 

Cortez leaned over to say something in Pedrosa’s ear.

“Ah, yes. The plane. I need to finish this. It’s getting late.” He removed the pistol from his waistband. “On your knees, cop.” 

Sonny stared, his heart hammering in his chest. “Never gonna happen,” he said, with a certainty he didn’t feel.  Cortez tried to grab him, but Sonny twisted his body away at the last minute.

“You’re making this hard on yourself, Crockett.”

His jaw set, Sonny faced Pedrosa.  “If I’m going to die, I’ll go out fighting, not kneeling.”

Pedrosa simply smiled. “If that’s how you want it.”

The Columbian lashed out, smashing his fist against Sonny’s mouth. Sonny wiped blood from his lower lip and grinned.  “Now, who’s predicable?” he asked. 

Cortez grabbed him from behind and Pedrosa attacked with a barrage of punches to Sonny’s face and midsection. The beating seemed to go on forever. When his eyes and lips started to swell, he knew he couldn’t take much more. Finally, Pedrosa stopped and glanced down at the cuts on his own hands. Frustrated, he lashed out, slamming the pistol against the side of Sonny’s head. The blow was shattering. Sonny slumped and when Cortez let go, he landed on all fours. Then, he fell to his side and lay there, fighting hard against the returning nausea. He looked up, and the fluorescent lights on the warehouse ceiling made him squint. His head spinning, he shut his eyes against the glare. 

It was then he envisioned Gina, realizing with a jolt this might be the last time he’d hold her image in his mind. He dwelt on her smile and sparkling eyes. The scent of lavender she always wore seemed to be everywhere. He could almost hear her whisper his name. 

Cortez pulled him up and forced him to his knees. He was too groggy to resist. “This is how I want to remember you,” he heard Pedrosa say. A chill passed through him. 

And then, he saw Emily. She was in his arms, her eyes watching him over a bottle, telling him not to worry or be afraid. It soothed him and gave him comfort. He even thought he could smell her sweet baby scent. 

Pedrosa racked the slide of the Baretta and Sonny held his breath, waiting for the impact of the bullet. “I love you,” he whispered to his little girl. 

There was a sharp crack and then, silence. He felt a tight pressure in his right shoulder and his arm went numb. The gun went off again, and this time, heat raced through his belly. He crumpled to the cement, curling up in a tight ball. 

“Don’t die too quickly,” Pedrosa whispered, close to Crockett’s ear.  Then he fired another round into Sonny’s lower leg, tearing through tissue and shattering bone.

Sonny grabbed his leg, screaming in agony. “Bastard!” he gasped.  Pedrosa responded by kicking him hard in the side. 

“Your wounds are serious, but not enough to kill you right away,” Pedrosa told him. “While you lie here waiting, you can think. Think about your life. Think about your family.”

Sonny dug his nails into the cement floor.

A car door slammed in the distance and he heard footsteps. “We’re ready, Señor Pedrosa.” 

Pedrosa turned his attention back to Sonny. “Adiós, Crockett!” He locked his fingers in Sonny’s hair and yanked his head back to see his face. Sonny struggled fiercely to pull away.

“Your will is strong. Three bullets have ripped you apart, and you’re still fighting.”  He released him. 

“Adiós, Crockett,” he repeated under his breath. 

“Burn in… hell… Pedrosa,” Sonny answered, his eyes heavy with pain.

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

;( Powerful!  Great job making me feel the scene(s).

Wow, that was fast. I just posted it! Love it!

Edited by mjcmmv

On 8/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, mjcmmv said:

A shudder shook the little Cuban from head to toe. “With the chances I take for ju, it’s a wonder I am still able to walk the streets without getting a knife stuck in my back. The least ju can do is give me a little advance, Crockett. I have bills to pay, ju know. All this dangerous yakety-yak is not for free.”

For the first time since he’d been doing business with the Cuban, Sonny actually felt sorry for the guy. Against his better judgment, he reached in his pocket and forked over five twenties. “Here’s an advance. Don’t spend it all in one place, buddy. And buy yourself something decent to wear, will ya please?”

I like this exchange between Sonny and Izzy!   Very realistic!

On 8/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, mjcmmv said:

“The point? The point is,  I’ve lost time and money because of you and your unit. And, you’ve made me look weak. That can’t go unanswered.”

This gives me the shivers!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I like this exchange between Sonny and Izzy!   Very realistic!

This gives me the shivers!

Great feedback! Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Great story, very well crafted. Especially the meeting between Sonny and Pedrosa. Though it is painful to read and picture Sonny in such predicament...

• Like 1