Ray Ban alternative?

IA-SteveB

Has anyone tried Shady Rays for an inexpensive alternative to real Ray Ban glasses?  The ones below look pretty close.  I kind of like the black wood grain look.  I have real Ray Bans but these might be nice if I am going somewhere where there is a possibility I could lose them or something?  These are $45 and have a lifetime replacement if broken or lost.  They are on sale for $28 today.

https://shadyrays.com/collections/mens-collection/products/classic-black-timber-polarized

CL-30_Angle_1.jpg?v=1556742882

Edited by IA-SteveB

They look nice!  Never heard of this brand before and honestly $28 is more than I almost ever would consider spending (just because of the potential loss factor, LOL).  So if regular price is $45, hopefully they are a good quality.

ETA:  I had a pair of real Ray Bans once and I accidentally broke them (right across the bridge) doing something dumb!  Way back about 30 years ago, that was about $78 down the drain.   Didn't ever want to experience that again...

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

I can remember saving a lot of money for my first Oakleys in college.  I took them scuba diving in Panama and left them on the dive boat.  I'm sure someone was happy and it certainly wasn't me.

I ended up buying these to try out.  You can't beat replacements for just the price of shipping even if you lose them.

• Like 1

Could be fun to screw around with, but with something like this its not like a watch or something simple, its protection for your eyes, as I once bought I think like a 50 or 60 dollar par of Gargoyle sunglasses and they gave me a headache as something about the depth perception was badly screwed up with them,  so you just have to be mindful of that when looking into things like this

Me personally I would say go for the full size wayfarers if you can and avoid the cheap stuff, plus you might be able to find them for cheaper now as I think they got discontinued in favor of the new style wayfarers, which are way too small and dont really work that well.

as cheap is cheap for a reason when it comes to sunglasses, unlike watches now where you can buy one that will last a lifetime for 60 bucks vs having to shell out serious money for that like it used to be.

although I've switched from that, the new style wayfarers, to Maui Jim World Cups, the only ones that fit my damn face it seems lol

next to the full size wayfarers, but those had a defect with one of the lenses where one was polarized, the other wasnt so I had to send it back, and I did get my money back lol plus you dont have to worry about the light getting in behind your eyes when your driving and doing things generally with the season 3 esque style of those.

wayfarers you do.

Edited by Kavinsky

I do like the shady rays a lot.  I do have real wayfarers but these are great for a Crockett feel if you want the look but not the risk of losing or destroying Ray Bans.  They have great uv 400 protection and are polarized, which I like for boating. They are lighter feeling as well.

Just offering this as an alternative. I do a lot or boating and jet skiing and would rather wear easily replaceable glasses in those situations. When I belong to the city it is the Wayfarers.

Edited by IA-SteveB

• 8 months later...

Shady Rays glasses is almost same as Ray ban and much cheaper then it.  I have 3 Shady Rays glasses and 1 Ray ban glasses. All of them I bought from https://www.ritecoupons.com/. They do have huge varieties of glasses. Just check the store once you will love it. 

6 hours ago, tysonwang said:

Shady Rays glasses is almost same as Ray ban and much cheaper then it.  I have 3 Shady Rays glasses and 1 Ray ban glasses. All of them I bought from https://www.ritecoupons.com/. They do have huge varieties of glasses. Just check the store once you will love it. 

Do they all have “SHADY RAYS” largely placed on the temples?

Mine do.  It is a grayish hue so it isn't that noticeable.  They are actually a little more comfortable than real Ray Bans, at least for me.  They don't feel as "beefy."  I do wear them more often than the Ray Bans but it is mostly because I leave them in the car.  :)

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’d really love to find knock-off Ray-Ban prescription sunglasses that have the metal detail piece on the side temples. I’ve searched and searched. You can find tons of Ray-Ban knock offs but they never have the metal detail piece on the side temple like the old Ray-Bans do. AND as we all know, the current Ray-Bans have their logo on the side temple now. :thumbsdown:

I’ve looked on GlassesUSA, EyeBuyDirect, etc. I really don’t need Ray-Ban name just something that looks like the vintage style they used to make. I wouldn’t be opposed to getting vintage real Ray-Bans but I want prescription lenses as I’m near-sighted.

Here's my current Ray-Ban alternative. Snagged these on ebay for $20-25. They're a little loose and constantly sliding down whenever I look down even slightly, but they're very comfortable. I'm not crazy about the black-brown color like Don wore in seasons 1-2, but I love this 80's style more than the typical Ray-Ban style like Don wore, as well as Aviators.

**Edit** And don't worry about the ziplock bag of white powder. It's not cocaine, it's Creatine, I swear!! lol

IMG_20200802_113517479.jpg

IMG_20200802_113540929_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200802_113527492.jpg

Edited by TylerDurden389

That is so funny,  I thought this was a staged 80s theme at first with the bag of nose candy.

Edited by IA-SteveB