Michael Mann considering a Heat 2

agent 47

https://www.france24.com/en/20190829-michael-mann-eyes-heat-2-film-as-book-nears-completion-1

Well this sounds interesting. Whether it's only a book or it does turn into a movie or series sounds like it could have some promise. Also mentions a number of other projects he is working on including a Vietnam series I posted about a long while ago and a screenplay about the Golden Triangle during the 1980's.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 11:27 AM, agent 47 said:

https://www.france24.com/en/20190829-michael-mann-eyes-heat-2-film-as-book-nears-completion-1

Well this sounds interesting. Whether it's only a book or it does turn into a movie or series sounds like it could have some promise. Also mentions a number of other projects he is working on including a Vietnam series I posted about a long while ago and a screenplay about the Golden Triangle during the 1980's.

Well, I certainly hope this will happen. The other projects sound good, too. Thanks for posting!

Edited by mjcmmv

Sorry, I'm very wary of Mann with any sort of series project given his own admitted short attention span for those kind of things. Anything dealing with Hue is going to run head-on into the legacy of Full Metal Jacket, so that could be interesting. And Quanah Parker? So long as he avoids the Dances With Wolves theory of these things it's got great potential.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, MrsEvanFreed said:

In my head, Collateral is the unofficial sequel to Heat.

I agree :thumbsup:   If this does become a movie, please don't let Pacino and De Niro reprise their roles unless he intends to digitally de-age them for the entire movie.  Both actors are looking a bit rough these days.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Heat is in my opinion one of the top movies ever made. Things like that need to stand alone as sequels rarely ever meet or top the original. With the time lapse between the two movies I don't see how DeNiro and Pachino can reprise their roles. Not to mention DeNiro was killed at the end of the first one. Not having those two and calling it Heat 2 or whatever would be silly.  But maybe they will have a wheel chair race?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

Heat is in my opinion one of the top movies ever made. Things like that need to stand alone as sequels rarely ever meet or top the original. With the time lapse between the two movies I don't see how DeNiro and Pachino can reprise their roles. Not to mention DeNiro was killed at the end of the first one. Not having those two and calling it Heat 2 or whatever would be silly.  But maybe they will have a wheel chair race?

Certainly the greatest crime film ever made. 

Vincent Hanna was always meant to have his own series. Maybe this is Mann being a completionist at this stage in his career. He is 76 now. How many years and films does he have left as an active director? Especially at his rate of output. Mann has always been very time-conscious, as evidenced by all the "time is luck" talk in his films and commentaries. He may just do the projects he feels like irregardless of what fans or critics think.

• Like 2

i didn't like Heat, for several reasons. first, i think, it gives too much importance to bank robbers, which are nothing more.. than scums. seocnd, if it had been me, i'd have put Pacino into the bad guy, and de Niro into the cop. my 2c

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2019 at 12:46 PM, jpaul1 said:

i didn't like Heat, for several reasons. first, i think, it gives too much importance to bank robbers, which are nothing more.. than scums. seocnd, if it had been me, i'd have put Pacino into the bad guy, and de Niro into the cop. my 2c

Even scumbags have a POV with a history,  backstory, and an agenda, which is what Mann was getting at. The alternative is to have a 2 dimensional, conventional cops and robbers film which I've seen enough of. The fact that Heat wasn't that is one of the reasons it was successful, not just Deniro/Pacino. And there are plenty of Vice eps with semi-sympathetic antagonists, including our resident informants Izzy and Noogie, who could certainly be called scum with no value if you're not a cop.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Even scumbags have a POV with a history,  backstory, and an agenda, which is what Mann was getting at. The alternative is to have a 2 dimensional, conventional cops and robbers film which I've seen enough of. The fact that Heat wasn't that is one of the reasons it was successful, not just Deniro/Pacino. And there are plenty of Vice eps with semi-sympathetic antagonists, including our resident informants Izzy and Noogie, who could certainly be called scum with no value if you're not a cop.

what i was trying to say, it's that the film gives a kind of nobility to the bad guys. which they are not, they are just scum. there was a typical case like this in France, a man called Redoine Faïd. the guy was from a bad neighborhood. and he started as a kid stealing stuff in supermarkets. and his thing was to plan everything carefully, even to steal candies. then he grew up and naturally became a bank robber. and some media started to praise him as a good bank robber, with extremelly careful preparation, with no death, and so on. until happened what should happen. during one of his robberies, fire gone out, and a policeman got killed. there is no romance in bank robberies, it's just s...

Edited by jpaul1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Bren10:

with all due respect: MM is apparently running out of ideas. Heat itself was a remake of his own 1989 movie LA takedown.

This sequel/prequel/remake industry is just due to lack of original ideas, the most important ingredient for a good movie.

If I were him I would sit down and think about great scripts and then start developing instead of doing another reverse engineering approach like with MV: take a known story or characters/actors and then artificially derive a garden variety script just to justify the plot and the actors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

what i was trying to say, it's that the film gives a kind of nobility to the bad guys. which they are not, they are just scum. there was a typical case like this in France, a man called Redoine Faïd. the guy was from a bad neighborhood. and he started as a kid stealing stuff in supermarkets. and his thing was to plan everything carefully, even to steal candies. then he grew up and naturally became a bank robber. and some media started to praise him as a good bank robber, with extremelly careful preparation, with no death, and so on. until happened what should happen. during one of his robberies, fire gone out, and a policeman got killed. there is no romance in bank robberies, it's just s...

This guy was actually influenced by "Heat" :) and once approached Michael Mann at a Paris Film Festival and told him; "You were my technical adviser."

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 1

not sure he was influenced by the movie, because he was a burglar since kid. but yeah i saw this. it was during his pseudo redemption phase. he wanted probably to get some sort of influence into Mann's future movies. then the cop murder happened

Yep, leave it alone.  Heat is a darn near perfect film.  There are so many good stories out there that Mann could put his own stamp on.  Unfortunately, studios these days will only back reboots/remakes/sequels.  Nostalgia is a sure bet these days.

• Like 2

Well, I'd just like that MM got back to the spotlight. A too good director to be nearly forgotten during the past ten years or so. If I am not wrong, things started to get on the wrong foot with "Public Enemies" and "Luck" (I did like them both!), and "Blackhat" didn't help him, either (I did like that one, too).

Whatever MM is doing, I am interested in it.

Nevertheless, I agree with @Mr. Vigilante, leave "Heat" as it is. He has enough talent, artistic personality and style to start a great project from scratch.

I know this is the wrong thread, but in retrospect, he should have left Miami Vice alone, too. Maybe he will think of that before it’s too late with Heat. :) 

• Like 2

Hope Mann tries a new genre instead of doing more crime dramas.

But if he did a western, you know it's going to be about a sheriff and his posse hunting down a gang of outlaws/bank robbers. :D

I enjoy Last of the Mohicans, Ali and The Keep more just because their so different from his other work.

22 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

But if he did a western, you know it's going to be about a sheriff and his posse hunting down a gang of outlaws/bank robbers. :D

...with bull sperm. :p

He is in pre-production of the Enzo Ferrari biopic. It was announced June this year that Hugh Jackman will be taking on the lead role in Mann’s long-in-the-works biopic, which is titled Ferrari and is aiming to start filming in Spring 2021. 

That would be something refreshing. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

He is in pre-production of the Enzo Ferrari biopic. It was announced June this year that Hugh Jackman will be taking on the lead role in Mann’s long-in-the-works biopic, which is titled Ferrari and is aiming to start filming in Spring 2021. 

AWESOME!!! :clap:

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 9:54 PM, RedDragon86 said:

this is very interesting. always wanted to know a bit more about Enzo personnality

• Like 1