Watching-Part 10, The Conclusion

mjcmmv

PART 10

CHAPTER 40: REFUGE                          Music: Walk and Talk Like Angels by Toni Childs

April 7th, 1998: Crandon Park Beach
Gina 

She sat on a blanket next to Martin, watching Emily walk to the water’s edge. The little girl was scolding the seagulls swooping down around her. 

“They want your cracker, Emily,” Gina said, laughing. “Just throw it down and I’ll give you another.”

“I don’t like the birds! Tell them to go away!”

Martin stood and scooped her up in his arms. Emily giggled. “I want to go in the water, Uncle Martin!” 

“Oh, so now you don’t mind the waves. Aren’t we brave, all of a sudden.” He put her down on the sand and took her by the hand. “Okay, then!  Let’s go!” 

The sight of Martin Castillo running into the surf with her daughter made Gina double over with laughter. She saw him stop at the water’s edge and stand with Emily in the shallow water, encouraging her to let the calm waves lap at her feet. Marty was so good with her. And her spirited child loved him so. This gentleness was a side of him she'd never witnessed in the days they’d worked together, and even after seeing it these past three years, it continued to amaze her. 

Finding her way since Sonny died had been tough. Making decisions was the hardest part. But Martin was always there, silent and strong, ready to lend a hand at a moment’s notice. She knew he was in love with her. From that moment in the hospital, when he told her she didn't have to be afraid any more, she saw a change in him. The sternness in his gaze was gone and in its place was affection and warmth. 

One night when he was over for dinner, she noticed him staring at her, and when their eyes met, she stood transfixed, unable to break away. Her heart beat wildly in her chest while she tried to catch her breath. When it was time for him to leave, he hugged her, and she hugged him back. They stayed together like that in the doorway, her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. He smiled down at her before he left, and she remembered how much she wanted him to stay.

But something held her back from giving in to these new feelings.  Sonny was still there, in her heart and in her head. Gina wanted to be fair and make sure this attraction was more than just the yearnings of a lonely widow. 

After that night, his visits became more frequent and despite her doubts, she found herself looking forward to hearing his voice calling to her from the open screen door. Sometimes he brought her flowers, or something special from the bakery for Emily. Emily was always excited to see him, showing him her crayon drawings or singing him a song she’d learned in nursery school. She began to call him Uncle Martin. The first time he heard it, Gina could tell he was pleased. 

Martin’s kindness and concern made her think back to the day of Emily’s christening. Sonny had asked Martin to take care of his family if something happened to him. He died believing his friend would keep his promise. She couldn’t help but imagine him smile if he knew they might come together as a family.

Emily was  calling her, and she looked up to see her daughter perched on Martin’s shoulders, a round pink shell clutched in her hand. “Look, Mama. Look what Uncle Martin found.”

“She’s shivering,” Martin was saying. He wrapped her in a beach towel and held her in his arms. When Gina heard him murmur to the child tenderly in Spanish, she felt a sudden urge to cry. 

“He really loves her,” she thought.

She reached over to touch his cheek and saw him look back in surprise. “Thank you, Martin, she said. “Thank you for everything.”

“No need, to thank me,” he answered. “This is where I belong.”

“We’re very lucky.”

“I’m the lucky one, Gina. You and Emily have captured my heart and now, I’ll never be the same.” 

The words he spoke were beautiful, like a simple poem, or even a prayer. She looked at him and saw the desire in his eyes. The smile he gave her that day in the warm morning sunlight, felt like a lover’s caress. 

Chapter 41: “Star light, star bright …”   
May 7th, 1999   
Martin

It was a clear night. He knew she was watching him from the kitchen window as he stood out in the garden, showing Emily the stars in the sky. Gina hadn’t said much at dinner, and he wondered what was on her mind.

The little girl was curious, asking him to tell her the names of the constellations and what made the stars shine so bright.

“You see the group of stars over there?” Emily followed his finger and looked up. “They form a shape just like the big spoon your mother used when she served the soup at dinner tonight.” He traced the shape in the air. “It’s called the Big Dipper.”

“I see it!” she cried, excited over this new discovery. 

He went on to tell her about shooting stars and other things he thought would interest her, when suddenly,  he realized she wasn’t listening. He stopped talking, and they continued to stare at the night sky together. After a few moments, she looked up at him and spoke. 

“Mama says my Daddy’s up there and he’s watching out for us. But I don’t see him, Uncle Martin. Can you see him?”

“No. But your Mama’s right. He’s there.”

“How do you know?”

Martin  looked away for a moment. “Your Daddy loves you and your Mama, very much. And even thought he can’t be here to tell you this, but he’s making sure you’re safe and happy.”

“I have my Daddy’s picture in my room. His eyes are kind and sometimes, I think I see I see him smile.”

Maring squatted down in front of her. “He’s telling you he’s  glad you think about him. Ask lots of questions about your Daddy and remember him every day.”

“I will, Uncle Martin.”

“Good. Now, it’s time for bed.”

She let him take her by the hand and lead her to her room without a single word of protest. She handed him a storybook and he sat beside her on the bed. Martin took his reading glasses out of his shirt pocket and perched them carefully on the bridge of his nose.

“So, shall we begin?” he asked.

The child looked up at him with blue-green eyes, full of wonder. He drew her close. It was a special time for both of them. He adored this little girl and for some time now, he had accepted her as his own. 

Emily’s eyelids were soon heavy with sleep. Marty barely finished the story when he saw her nodding and he eased her down gently. His eyes softened as he studied her; the perfect porcelain features, the long golden hair. He kissed her forehead and left the room to join her mother in the kitchen.

“She’s had it,” he said, standing next to Gina. “I think she’ll sleep well tonight.”

“She woke up pretty early this morning. It’s been a long day for her.”

“You must be tired, too.” He slipped his arms around her waist. “What’s wrong,” he asked.

“You’re right. I’m tired.” Gina let him hug her and then broke away. “It’s late. I’m going to bed.”  

His eyes followed her as she went down the hallway and after a while, he went from room to room, switching off the lights. He stood alone in the darkness and turned to look back at the kitchen. Without Gina, it was just an empty room. His heart had been like that once. 

The shower was running by the time he reached the bedroom and getting into bed, he propped the pillows behind his head, patiently waiting for her. She came in soon after, her expression troubled. The white cotton nightgown clung to her body, making him ache with longing. She stood by the bureau and brushed her hair back, tying it with a piece of purple ribbon. She caught sight of him in the mirror watching her and she smiled. When she approached the bed, he lifted the sheet and she climbed in next to him.

“Talk to me,” he said, turning to face her. He could tell she’d been crying.

“Trying to figure things out, I guess. It’s time I made some decisions and there are things I need to know. So yes, we should talk.”

He didn’t like how the conversation was starting, but he knew he should encourage her. Leaning over, he turned off the lamp by the bed. “I’m here. Ask me and I’ll do my best to answer.”

She smiled over at him. “Funny. When we worked together, I used to always think you were so private, so closed off to the world. Over the past year, I’ve learned to see you differently.”

A year! Had it been that long since he’d moved in? Memories began to run together, like scenery flying by the window of a speeding train.

Right after Sonny died, Castillo devoted most of his time to finding Pedrosa, before he could kill again. But Sonny was right. Pedrosa was smart. Martin shuddered to think how close he’d come to losing Gina and Emily.

After Pedrosa was killed, Castillo tried to return to his work, but he saw the changes in the squad and realized the toll Sonny’s death had taken on them all. The unit’s spirit was gone.

Rico returned to New York to be with Val and decided not to remain in law enforcement. Stan eventually found a position in a private security firm. He claimed the idea was on his mind for a while. “It’s time I got out, Lieutenant,” he told him. “This work is tearing me apart. I can’t stand to lose anyone else I care about.” Trudy was accepted into law school and was about to graduate in May. She had done well and most likely, a job would be waiting for her with one of the major law firms in Miami.

For a while, even Castillo began to ask himself if maybe it was time to move on. But the more he searched for the answer, the more he realized this was where he belonged. The people of Miami needed cops like him. He made the decision to recruit new men and women and mold together a unit that would make him proud to be on the front lines.

Gina didn’t return to OCB. Instead, she decided to stay at home and raise her little girl. Once Castillo was no longer her boss, the stiffness that existed between them, gradually began to disappear.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Music: “Gina” by Jan Hammer
He began stopping by whenever he could. After a while, Gina invited him to stay for dinner. As the invitations became more frequent, he began to look forward to his time off more than ever before.

As he got to know her better, he found they had lots of stories to share. Sometimes their conversations went well into the night. Gina left Cuba when she was too young to remember, and he was able to tell her many tales about their mutual homeland. He enjoyed listening to her talk about her childhood in Miami and how her aunts and uncles did everything they could to provide her with a loving home. 

When Gina told him about her happy memories, her musical voice filled him with peace. In the middle of a conversation, he would find himself losing his train of thought as he stared, mesmerized by the sparkle in her eyes. 

He began to think about her constantly. After years of denying he had a romantic bone in his body, Martin Castillo fought hard against the notion he was falling in love. But the signs were all there, and he knew he couldn’t ignore them. 

It was a major storm that finally brought them together. Violent thunderstorms had ravaged the Miami suburbs, and many neighborhoods, including Gina’s, had been without power for more than twenty-four hours. Emily was running a high fever all day and Gina was frantic with worry.

“I need to take her to the ER,” she said when she called him. “I hate to ask this, especially since you were just over here, checking my circuit breakers and all, but my car won’t start, and I….”

“Get her ready and be waiting by the door. I’ll be right there.” He remembered smiling after he hung up. He’d checked up on her at least three times that day. If only she knew how happy he was to check on her again.

By the time he got the car around the debris still clogging the streets and arrived at her doorstep, Emily’s fever had broken. They both decided taking her to the hospital would be overkill. 

“I’ll stay anyway,” he said.

Gina looked at him. “Oh?”  There was a glint of mischief in her eyes. 

“Well, if you want me to, of course. This way, I’ll be right here in case her temperature goes up again.”

“Martin….no need to explain. I’m only teasing you. You’re more than welcome to stay. In fact, I’d be grateful if you did.”

The power was still out so they lit some candles and shared a bottle of wine, with half a box of broken crackers. Watching the flames from the candles flickering on the window, they talked, and told things to each other they’d never shared before. After a while, Gina checked on Emily and found her sleeping soundly, her forehead cool and dry. She told him she was sure the danger had passed.

And then, the lights blinked on.

“I should go,” he said, trying to hide his disappointment.

“No, don’t. Stay here with us.”

They were standing close together in the hall by the child’s room and he’d put his arms around her without even thinking. When she seemed to melt against him, he kissed her on the lips, gently at first, but when she responded, he became more insistent. Suddenly, she pushed him away, and he took a step back, certain he’d ruined everything. But she surprised him.

“I was hoping this would happen. In fact, I was expecting it to happen long before tonight.”

“Have I been that transparent?”

“Recently, yes. But then, I’ve been feeling it too. Please, Martin. Don’t say you’re sorry you kissed me.”

“No. I’m not sorry. But my role is to care for you and Emily. Maybe I’ve overstepped my bounds.”

Gina shook her head with a light-hearted laugh. “Leave it to you to find a way to distrust your heart.”

He looked down at her. “I care for you a great deal, Gina. And Emily means everything to me.”

“I know. And I care for you, too, very much.” The word ‘love’ never entered the conversation, and he wondered if it ever would.

“So?” She gave him a mysterious smile. “What should we do about it?”

He hesitated and his indecisiveness embarrassed him, but Gina took matters into her own hands. She leaned back and pushed the bedroom door open.

“Show me, Martin,’ she challenged. “Show me how much you care.” He followed her inside.

She turned to face him and pulled her shirt over her head.  He moved closer. Then, she took his hand and placed it on her breast. 

“There are no boundaries, Martin. Not anymore.” 

She let him finish undressing her. 

Their lovemaking was frantic at first, then sweet and slow, as if they wanted to savor every moment. He stayed over the next day and then again, that night. He knew he should go back to his own home, but the thought of leaving her felt wrong. Three days later, she told him she didn’t want him to go, and a week later, he moved in to stay.

Their friends seemed delighted for them. Gina’s eyes were happy again and Castillo proved to the world he could smile when there was something in his life worth smiling about.

And yet, he worried. Part of her would always belong to Sonny and whenever he saw her crying as she stared out at the ocean, he wondered if she’d mourn for him forever.

The wind had picked up outside their window, and he knew, just like that time a year ago, a storm was coming. Streetlights shimmered as palm branches swayed back and forth, casting ghostly images on the wall. He began to stroke her hair, grateful she still seemed to need him at her side.

“There are some things I have to know. Things I’ve never found the courage to ask, until now.”

He knew what was coming and wondered how honest he could be. They seldom talked about Sonny these days, but his presence seemed to be everywhere. It was even here with them now, as they lay together in the dark. 

“What did Sonny say to you after you found him?”

He sighed. “He was weak,” Castillo answered. “But he managed to warn me about Pedrosa. Then, he asked me to get you.”

He saw her close her eyes. “Did he know he was dying?”

“Yes.”

“I thought so. He was trying to tell me. I just wouldn’t listen.”

Martin let her cry. After a while, the sobbing stopped, and her breathing returned to normal. He thought she’d fallen asleep when suddenly she spoke again.

“Do you love me?” she asked.

“More than you’ll ever know.” He kissed the top of her head. 

“I’m glad.”

He didn’t ask her if she loved him.

The gusts of wind were stronger now. He pulled her closer.

“What would you say to him if he came back?” she asked.

The question caught him off guard. He waited for a moment before he answered.  “I’d say I’ve kept my promise. You and Emily are safe. And then, I’d thank him for trusting me with his most treasured possessions.”

He saw her smile a little. “He would have liked that,” she said.

“And you?” he asked. “What would you say to him?”

Her answer came right away. “I’d tell him I’ll always love him, but now, I need to get on with my life.” She looked up at him. “He wasn’t selfish. I know he’d want me to find someone else.”

“Yes.”

“I’m so sorry he saw me cry. I wish I had been stronger.”

“You were strong.”

A rumble of thunder came from far away and for a moment, they saw the reflection of lightning shimmer in the bedroom mirror. Rain began tapping gently on the windows. The drops seem to sparkle like diamonds.

“Sleep now, Sonny,” he heard her whisper. “Martin loves us ... and he’s here to stay.” He was quiet, afraid the sound of his voice would break the spell. She took his face in her hands and by the way she kissed him, he knew she’d made her decision. 

“I love you, Marty,” she told him.  Her voice was clear and strong.

Music: Angela Undress by Thomas Neuman (American Beauty)

Thunder rumbled again, closer this time.

“Uncle Martin! Where are you?” 

“It’s the thunder,” Gina said, pushing away. “I’ll get her.”

“No. She asked for me. I’ll go,” he said.

He carried Emily back into their room, and she reached over for her mother. 

“Can I stay?” 

“Of course. Come here,” Gina said, and cuddled her close.

The child was solemn as she looked over at Martin. “There’s lots of lightning, you know.” she said.

“You’re safe, Chiquita. We’re here.”

The three of them huddled close together, listening to the rain. After a time, he glanced over and saw they were asleep. The sight of them curled up next to each other, moved him. This was his family now. The three of them belonged together. He covered them with the sheet.

It was then, he thought he sensed another presence in the room. His eyes swept back and forth, looking for a sign, but it was deathly quiet. Maybe now it was his turn to let go of the past. 

“I’ll take care of them, just like I promised,” he said to the shadows. 

Outside, the storm was beginning to weaken and all he could hear was the swirling wind, sighing in the trees. Sweet rain-washed air drifted in through the open window.

“Goodbye, my friend,” he said.

And as he watched the storm clouds drift out toward the ocean, he saw the curtains billow into the room and float into the air like a dancing spirit.

I'm sad to be closing this adventure. It was lots of fun to write! Thank you to everyone for the feedback and support. Hope some of you out there had a good time!

=)

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Thank you, Robbie. And thanks for all your help! 

You're quite welcome! I didn't do that much...just helped you whittle down to the story that was already there waiting to be told.

• Like 1

Just now, vicegirl85 said:

A lovely and very satisfying ending!  Thank you for sharing it with us!

You're welcome! It was my pleasure!

On 9/1/2019 at 6:15 PM, mjcmmv said:

PART 10

CHAPTER 38: REFUGE                          Music: Walk and Talk Like Angels by Toni Childs

April 7th, 1998: Crandon Park Beach
Gina 

She sat on a blanket next to Martin, watching Emily walk to the water’s edge. The little girl was scolding the seagulls swooping down around her. 

“They want your cracker, Emily,” Gina said, laughing. “Just throw it down and I’ll give you another.”

“I don’t like the birds! Tell them to go away!”

Martin stood and scooped her up in his arms. Emily giggled. “I want to go in the water, Uncle Martin!” 

“Oh, so now you don’t mind the waves. Aren’t we brave, all of a sudden.” He put her down on the sand and took her by the hand. “Okay, then!  Let’s go!” 

The sight of Martin Castillo running into the surf with her daughter made Gina double over with laughter. She saw him stop at the water’s edge and stand with Emily in the shallow water, encouraging her to let the calm waves lap at her feet. Marty was so good with her. And her spirited child loved him so. This gentleness was a side of him she'd never witnessed in the days they’d worked together, and even after seeing it these past three years, it continued to amaze her. 

Finding her way since Sonny died had been tough. Making decisions was the hardest part. But Martin was always there, silent and strong, ready to lend a hand at a moment’s notice. She knew he was in love with her. From that moment in the hospital, when he told her not to be afraid, there was a change in him. The sternness in his gaze was gone and in its place was affection and warmth. 

One night when he was over for dinner, she noticed him staring at her, and when their eyes met, she stood transfixed, unable to break away. Her heart beat wildly in her chest while she tried to catch her breath. When it was time for him to leave, he hugged her, and she hugged him back. They stayed together like that in the doorway, her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. He smiled down at her before he left, and she remembered how much she wanted him to stay.

But something held her back from giving in to these new feelings.  Sonny was still there, in her heart and in her head. Gina wanted to be fair and make sure this attraction was more than just the yearnings of a lonely widow. 

After that night, his visits became more frequent and despite her doubts, she found herself looking forward to hearing his voice calling to her from the open screen door. Sometimes he brought her flowers, or something special from the bakery for Emily. Emily was always excited to see him, showing him her crayon drawings or singing him a song she’d learned in nursery school. She began to call him Uncle Martin. The first time he heard it, Gina could tell he was pleased. 

Martin’s kindness and concern made her think back to the day of Emily’s christening. Sonny had asked Martin to take care of his family if something happened to him. He died believing his friend would keep his promise. She couldn’t help but imagine him smile if he knew they might come together as a family.

Emily was  calling her, and she looked up to see her daughter perched on Martin’s shoulders, a round pink shell clutched in her hand. “Look, Mama. Look what Uncle Martin found.”

“She’s shivering,” Martin was saying. He wrapped her in a beach towel and held her in his arms. When Gina heard him murmur to the child tenderly in Spanish, she felt a sudden urge to cry. 

“He really loves her,” she thought.

She reached over to touch his cheek and saw him look back in surprise. “Thank you, Martin, she said. “Thank you for everything.”

“No need, to thank me,” he answered. “This is where I belong.”

“We’re very lucky.”

“I’m the lucky one, Gina. You and Emily have captured my heart and now, I’ll never be the same.” 

The words he spoke were beautiful, like a simple poem, or even a prayer. She looked at him and saw the desire in his eyes. The smile he gave her that day in the warm morning sunlight, felt like a lover’s caress. 

Chapter 39: “Star light, star bright …”   
May 7th, 1999   
Martin

It was a clear night. He knew she was watching him from the kitchen window as he stood out in the garden, showing Emily the stars in the sky. Gina hadn’t said much at dinner, and he wondered what was on her mind.

The little girl was curious, asking him to tell her the names of the constellations and what made the stars shine so bright.

“You see the group of stars over there?” Emily followed his finger and looked up. 

“They form a shape just like the big spoon your mother used when she served the soup at dinner tonight.” He traced the shape in the air. “It’s called the Big Dipper.”

“I see it!” she cried, excited over this new discovery. 

He went on to tell her about shooting stars and other things he thought would interest her, when suddenly,  he realized she wasn’t listening. They continued to stare at the night sky together.

“Mama says my Daddy’s up there and he’s watching out for us. But I don’t see him, Uncle Martin. Can you see him?”

“No. But your Mama’s right. He’s there.”

“How do you know?”

Taking in a deep breath, he looked away for a moment. “Your Daddy loves you and your Mama, very much. He can’t be here to talk to you, but he’s making sure you’re safe and happy.”

“I have my Daddy’s picture in my room. I can see his eyes looking at me. And he smiles at me too.”

He squatted down in front of her. “He’s telling you he’s  glad you think about him. Ask lots of questions about your Daddy and remember him every day.”

“I will, Uncle Martin.”

“Good. Now, it’s time for bed.”

She let him take her by the hand and lead her to her room without a single word of protest. She handed him a storybook and he sat beside her on the bed. Martin took his reading glasses out of his shirt pocket and perched them carefully on the bridge of his nose. “So, shall we begin?” he asked.

The child looked up at him with blue-green eyes, full of wonder. He drew her close. It was a special time for both of them. He adored this little girl and for some time now, he had accepted her as his own. 

Emily’s eyelids were soon heavy with sleep. Marty barely finished the story when he saw her nodding and he eased her down gently. His eyes softened as he studied her; the perfect porcelain features, the long golden hair. He kissed her forehead and left the room to join her mother in the kitchen.

“She’s had it,” he said, standing next to Gina. “I think she’ll sleep well tonight.”

“She woke up pretty early this morning. It’s been a long day for her.”

“You must be tired, too.” He slipped his arms around her waist. “What’s wrong,” he asked.

“You’re right. I’m tired.” Gina let him hug her and then broke away. “It’s late. I’m going to bed.”  

His eyes followed her as she went down the hallway and after a while, he went from room to room, switching off the lights. He stood alone in the darkness and turned to look back at the kitchen. Without Gina, it was just an empty room. His heart had been like that once. 

The shower was running by the time he reached the bedroom and getting into bed, he propped the pillows behind his head, patiently waiting for her. She came in soon after, her expression troubled. The white cotton nightgown clung to her body, making him ache with longing. She stood by the bureau and brushed her hair back, tying it with a piece of purple ribbon. She caught sight of him in the mirror watching her and she smiled. When she approached the bed, he lifted the sheet and she climbed in next to him.

“Talk to me,” he said, turning to face her. He could tell she’d been crying.

“Trying to figure things out, I guess. It’s time I made some decisions and there are things I need to know. So yes, we should talk.”

He didn’t like how the conversation was starting, but he knew he should encourage her. Leaning over, he turned off the lamp by the bed. “I’m here. Ask me and I’ll do my best to answer.”

She smiled over at him. “Funny. When we worked together, I used to always think you were so private, so closed off to the world. Over the past year, I’ve learned to see you differently.”

A year! Had it been that long since he’d moved in? Memories began to run together, like scenery flying by the window of a speeding train.

Right after Sonny died, Castillo devoted most of his time to finding Pedrosa, before he could kill again. But Sonny was right. Pedrosa was smart. Martin shuddered to think how close he’d come to losing Gina and Emily.

After Pedrosa was killed, Castillo tried to return to his work, but he saw the changes in the squad and realized the toll Sonny’s death had taken on them all. The unit’s spirit was gone.

Rico returned to New York to be with Val and decided not to remain in law enforcement. Stan eventually found a position in a private security firm. He claimed the idea was on his mind for a while. “It’s time I got out, Lieutenant,” he told him. “This work is tearing me apart. I can’t stand to lose anyone else I care about.” Trudy was accepted into law school and was about to graduate in May. She had done well and most likely, a job would be waiting for her with one of the major law firms in Miami.

For a while, even Castillo began to ask himself if maybe it was time to move on. But the more he searched for the answer, the more he realized this was where he belonged. The people of Miami needed cops like him. He made the decision to recruit new men and women and mold together a unit that would make him proud to be on the front lines.

Gina didn’t return to OCB. Instead, she decided to stay at home and raise her little girl. Once Castillo was no longer her boss, the stiffness that existed between them, gradually began to disappear.
                                                                                                                                                                                                     Music: “Gina” by Jan Hammer
He began stopping by whenever he could. After a while, Gina invited him to stay for dinner. As the invitations became more frequent, he began to look forward to his time off more than ever before.

As he got to know her better, he found they had lots of stories to share. Sometimes their conversations went well into the night. Gina left Cuba when she was too young to remember, and he was able to tell her many tales about their mutual homeland. He enjoyed listening to her talk about her childhood in Miami and how her aunts and uncles did everything they could to provide her with a loving home. 

When Gina told him about her happy memories, her musical voice filled him with peace. In the middle of a conversation, he would find himself losing his train of thought as he stared, mesmerized by the sparkle in her eyes. 

He began to think about her constantly. After years of denying he had a romantic bone in his body, Martin Castillo fought hard against the notion he was falling in love. But the signs were all there, and he knew he couldn’t ignore them. 

It was a major storm that finally brought them together. Violent thunderstorms had ravaged the Miami suburbs, and many neighborhoods, including Gina’s, had been without power for more than twenty-four hours. Emily was running a high fever all day and Gina was frantic with worry.

“I need to take her to the ER,” she said when she called him. “I hate to ask this, especially since you were just over here, checking my circuit breakers and all, but my car won’t start, and I….”

“Get her ready and be waiting by the door. I’ll be right there.” He remembered smiling after he hung up. He’d checked up on her at least three times that day. If only she knew how happy he was to check on her again.

By the time he got the car around the debris still clogging the streets and arrived at her doorstep, Emily’s fever had broken. They both decided taking her to the hospital would be overkill. 

“I’ll stay anyway,” he said.

Gina looked at him. “Oh?”  There was a glint of mischief in her eyes. 

“Well, if you want me to, of course. This way, I’ll be right here in case her temperature goes up again.”

“Martin….no need to explain. I’m only teasing you. You’re more than welcome to stay. In fact, I’d be grateful if you did.”

The power was still out so they lit some candles and shared a bottle of wine, with half a box of broken crackers. Watching the flames from the candles flickering on the window, they talked, and told things to each other they’d never shared before. After a while, Gina checked on Emily and found her sleeping soundly, her forehead cool and dry. She told him she was sure the danger had passed.

And then, the lights flickered on.

“I should go,” he said, trying to hide his disappointment.

“No, don’t. Stay here with us.”

They were standing close together in the hall by the child’s room and he’d put his arms around her without even thinking. When she seemed to melt against him, he kissed her on the lips, gently at first, but when she responded, he became more insistent. Suddenly, she pushed him away, and he took a step back, certain he’d ruined everything. But she surprised him.

“I was hoping this would happen. In fact, I was expecting it to happen long before tonight.”

“Have I been that transparent?”

“Recently, yes. But then, I’ve been feeling it too. Please, Martin. Don’t say you’re sorry you kissed me.”

“No. I’m not sorry. But my role is to care for you and Emily. Maybe I’ve overstepped my bounds.”

Gina shook her head with a light-hearted laugh. “Leave it to you to find a way to distrust your heart.”

He looked down at her. “I care for you a great deal, Gina. And Emily means everything to me.”

“I know. And I care for you, too, very much.” The word ‘love’ never entered the conversation, and he wondered if it ever would.

“So?” She gave him a mysterious smile. “What should we do about it?”

He hesitated and his indecisiveness embarrassed him, but Gina took matters into her own hands. She leaned back and pushed the bedroom door open.

“Show me, Martin,’ she challenged. “Show me how much you care.” He followed her inside.

She turned to face him and pulled her shirt over her head.  He moved closer. Then, she took his hand and placed it on her breast. 

“There are no boundaries, Martin. Not anymore.” 

She let him finish undressing her. 

Their lovemaking was frantic at first, then sweet and slow, as if they wanted to savor every moment. He stayed over the next day and then again, that night. He knew he should go back to his own home, but the thought of leaving her felt wrong. Three days later, she told him she didn’t want him to go, and a week later, he moved in to stay.

Their friends seemed delighted for them. Gina’s eyes were happy again and Castillo proved to the world he could smile when there was something in his life worth smiling about.

And yet, he worried. Part of her would always belong to Sonny and whenever he saw her crying as she stared out at the ocean, he wondered if she’d mourn for him forever.

The wind had picked up outside their window, and he knew, just like that time a year ago, a storm was coming. Streetlights seemed to flicker as palm branches swayed back and forth, casting ghostly images on the wall. He began to stroke her hair, grateful she still seemed to need him at her side.

“There are some things I have to know. Things I’ve never found the courage to ask, until now.”

He knew what was coming and wondered how honest he could be. They seldom talked about Sonny these days, but his presence seemed to be everywhere. It was even here, with them now, as they lay together in the dark. 

“What did Sonny say to you after you found him?”

He sighed. “He was weak,” Castillo answered. “But he managed to warn me about Pedrosa. Then, he asked me to get you.”

He saw her close her eyes. “Did he know he was dying?”

“Yes.”

“I thought so. He was trying to tell me. I just wouldn’t listen.”

Martin let her cry. After a while, the sobbing stopped, and her breathing returned to normal. He thought she’d fallen asleep when suddenly she spoke again.

“Do you love me?” she asked.

“More than you’ll ever know.” He kissed the top of her head. 

“I’m glad.”

He didn’t ask her if she loved him. The gusts of wind were stronger now. He pulled her closer.

“What would you say to him if he came back?” she asked.

The question caught him off guard. He waited for a moment before he answered.  “I’d say I’ve kept my promise. You and Emily are safe. And then, I’d thank him for trusting me with his most treasured possessions.”

He saw her smile a little. “He would have liked that,” she said.

“And you?” he asked. “What would you say to him?”

Her answer came right away. “I’d tell him I’ll always love him, but now, I need to get on with my life.” She looked up at him. “He wasn’t selfish. I know he’d want me to find someone else.”

“Yes.”

“I’m so sorry he saw me cry. I wish I had been stronger.”

“You were strong.”

A rumble of thunder came from far away and for a moment, they saw the reflection of lightning shimmer in the bedroom mirror. Rain began tapping gently on the windows. The drops seem to sparkle like diamonds.

“Sleep now, Sonny,” he heard her whisper. “Martin loves us ... and he’s here to stay.” He was quiet, afraid the sound of his voice would break the spell. She took his face in her hands and by the way she kissed him, he knew she’d made her decision. 

“I love you, Marty,” she told him.  Her voice was clear and strong.

Music: Angela Undress by Thomas Neuman (American Beauty)

Thunder rumbled again, closer this time.

“Uncle Martin! Where are you?” 

“It’s the thunder,” Gina said, pushing away. “I’ll get her.”

“No. She asked for me. I’ll go,” he said.

He carried Emily back into their room, and she reached over for her mother. 

“Can I stay?” 

“Of course. Come here,” Gina said, and cuddled her close.

The child was solemn as she looked over at Martin. “There’s lots of lightning, you know.” she said.

“You’re safe, Chiquita. We’re here.”

The three of them huddled close together, listening to the rain. After a time, he glanced over and saw they were asleep. The sight of them curled up next to each other, moved him. This was his family now. The three of them belonged together. He covered them with the sheet.

It was then, he thought he sensed another presence in the room. His eyes swept back and forth, looking for a sign, but it was deathly quiet. Maybe now it was his turn to let go of the past. 

“I’ll take care of them, just like I promised,” he said to the shadows. 

Outside, the storm was beginning to weaken and all he could hear was the swirling wind, sighing in the trees. Sweet rain-washed air drifted in through the open window.

“Goodbye, my friend,” he said.

And as he watched the storm clouds drift out toward the ocean, he saw the curtains billow into the room and float into the air like a dancing spirit.

I'm sad to be closing this adventure. It was lots of fun to write! Thank you to everyone for the feedback and support. Hope some of you out there had a good time!

=)

Nice work friend, enjoyable and detailed.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

This is a beautiful story! I read it years ago and fell in love with it... makes you feel the full range of emotions and ends on a wonderful note. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2020 at 6:38 PM, MrsCastillo said:

This is a beautiful story! I read it years ago and fell in love with it... makes you feel the full range of emotions and ends on a wonderful note. 

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It warms my heart to read your comments! Thank you!

Edited by mjcmmv

• 8 months later...