9/11

miamijimf

Saluting those who lost their lives in the attacks, the first responders who sacrificed themselves to aid others, the passengers who took action to prevent a plane crash into the White House, and those who were left to mourn their loss.

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 hours ago, miamijimf said:

We will never forget.

I was on duty at my fire station in Clifton,  New Jersey that day. We watched it all unfold live on TV while having breakfast.  My fire station is approximately 12 miles from Manhattan. It's an old 3 story building and we could see the smoke from our rooftop.

You're right Jim, I could never possibly forget.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I will never forget the thousands of victims, and heroes who lost their lives on that day. And the images and seeing it unfolding will never erase from my memory. Also the rescue teams who searched through rubble, breathing in toxic fumes to try to find people, and later many of whom have died of cancer. 9/11 is still claiming victims to this day. 

The last photo taken of the towers intact on the morning of September 11, 2001, approx. 8:30am.

c9946f530830amskyline-jpg.jpeg

• Like 4

• Administrators

I miss that view.  I do not like the new trade center building. I think they should've rebuilt the twin towers exactly the way they were but add a few floors just to say f#@k you to the terrorists!

• Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

I miss that view.  I do not like the new trade center building. I think they should've rebuilt the twin towers exactly the way they were but add a few floors just to say f#@k you to the terrorists!

I agree but I think the problem was that they couldn't build over the footprint of the original towers due to it now being sacred ground, probably didn't want to cause any uproar. And there probably isn't enough room to rebuild next to it where the new one is. 

I would've rebuilt the towers, but modernized it a bit and made them stronger, and maybe made it black steel and engraved the names around the buildings. 

I miss it too, it just doesn't look like Lower Manhattan without them. Although they were there for a short amount of time (28-29 years), they became iconic in the NYC skyline almost instantly and recognisable and loved by people all over the world. Pretty sure it overshadowed even the Empire State Building. 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, James said:

I agree but I think the problem was that they couldn't build over the footprint of the original towers due to it now being sacred ground, probably didn't want to cause any uproar. And there probably isn't enough room to rebuild next to it where the new one is. 

I know, just wishful thinking. ;)

• Like 3

I remember being woke up from a sound sleep to watch this happening.  I was pissed and yelled at the tv that only one man could have the ability to pull this off.  I was right. Never forget.