The Pied Piper

mjcmmv

For those who enjoy Fan Fiction here is another attempt to recreate a Miami Vice Story. Hope you enjoy it. 

THE PIED PIPER

Part I: The Gun

Chapter 1

Except for the single light in the cafeteria, the high school appeared deserted.  The custodian had been there since four am, mopping the floors and getting the classrooms ready for the day. On a trip to the dumpster, he left  the gymnasium door propped open. He never noticed the two figures slip past him and high tail it into the building.

It promised to be a rainy day. Heavy clouds blocked the morning sunlight just enough to leave the boy’s locker room shrouded in gloom. The young man stood by the window and held up the stainless-steel pistol, pretending to appraise it thoughtfully.

“So, how much?” he asked. 

The kid dressed in black smiled. “Normally, I’d ask two-fifty, but we’re running a sale for new guys today.  One seventy-five. You gotta let me know by tonight, though. They’re lining up around the block and I got a schedule to keep going, ‘Tick tock’, if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, okay. I’ll have the money by this afternoon.”

A 7:30 bell gonged loudly, and the young man flinched. 

“It’s cool.  No one’s here yet,” the kid in black said with a grin. 

And it was true. Despite the bell, the locker room was still deserted. 

Derrick Connors pulled the gun out of the young man’s hand and dropped it quickly into his backpack. “You know how to reach me.” He hoisted the load over his shoulder and slipped out the door. 

The young man sat on the bench and waited, the image of Derrick’s retreating figure etched in his mind. For the life of him, he couldn’t figure why he found this guy so intriguing. He never met anyone quite like him before; the pasty white face, the gothic-black clothes; an icy blue stare that pierced you to the core. It was not someone the young man would normally have been drawn to, but there seemed to be a mysterious fascination he couldn’t explain.

He took some comfort in knowing he wasn’t the only one.  Derrick Connors had quite a following with a number of students at Southside High. Jocks, geeks, cheerleaders, it didn’t matter. Derrick’s defiance attracted those looking for alternatives; his promise of excitement and danger drew others like frenzied moths toward a burning light.

The idea of buying the gun still sent rivulets of fear coursing through his veins. His mother would kill him if she found out. And his father …

He swallowed, fighting hard against the lump in his throat. 

Yeah, dear old dad …

Sometimes, it brought tears to his eyes when he thought about him, but this time, imagining his father’s angry reaction only made him smile. Of course, this had been the point of contacting Derrick from the beginning. 

Get the gun, learn how to shoot… shake up Dad in a way he’d understand ... 

He’d cool off eventually. Realizing his son had become a man would make him sit up and take notice … maybe make him care again. And once he realized his son could hold his own, he might even begin to respect him … want to be with him … teach him everything he knew …

The second bell startled him. Slowly, he got up from the bench and headed to the gymnasium, almost running down the football coach coming out of his office.

“Hey, how ya doin?’” Jack Butler boomed. 

The young man tried hard not to cringe. “Hey, coach.” 

“You’re the new kid from Central High…Bill, right?”

Shit!   

“Yes, sir. Just heard the second bell. I gotta go.”

Butler blocked the way. “It’s, all right. I’ll give you a pass. Give me a minute. This is important.”

The young man knew what was coming. He had read the notes Butler had left on his locker; heard from his gym teacher the coach had been trying to reach him. 

“Saw you score the winning touchdown against us during the playoffs last year. You outran one of my best players. You have a lot of speed, son.”

The kid wanted to laugh. Too bad speed wasn’t the key to popularity. The rivalry between Central, his old high school and Southside, his new one, was fierce and during a highly emotional game last year, many at Southside felt his winning touchdown had robbed them of the trophy. He could tell the students were still smarting from the humiliation and many kept their distance. But once the teachers and coaches found out who he was, they couldn’t seem to get enough of him.

“I could use a guy like you,” the coach was saying.

He had to admit he missed his days on the field. He missed the adrenaline rush he felt when he knew his speed and accuracy made all the difference. 

But most of all, he missed his teammates. He didn’t have any buddies in this place. At least, not yet. 

And, stupid… you aren’t going to find any sitting on our ass …

“How ‘bout it, son?” Coach Butler asked, peering anxiously over his reading glasses. 

The young man leaned against the cool tile wall with an air of resignation. “Yeah, okay…I guess so,” he said in a soft voice.

“Excellent! Make sure you bring your parents’ permission slip and a medical clearance from your family doctor. Practice is on Thursday, 3:30 on the field.”

“Okay, sir. I really gotta go.” The young man turned on his heel and attempted to escape into the hall.

“Hold on a sec.” The coach pulled the pencil from behind his ear and looked down at the roster he held in his hand. “Spell the last name for me if you don’t mind.”

What the hell … Hope he’s not like this  on the field

The young man’s blue-green eyes flashed with humor; a handsome grin lit up his face.  “The name’s Billy Crockett, sir.  That’s C-R-O-C-K-E-T-T. It’s ten after, so I’ll need that pass now, if you don’t mind.”

“Don’t disappoint me, Billy Crockett,” Coach Butler said. “I’m counting on winning the championship this year.”

It was said in a friendly tone but even the new kids were aware of the football coach’s reputation and the young man considered himself warned. 

“I hear you,” he said, grabbing the pass and pushing his way out the door. 

“Loud and clear,” he muttered, as he sprinted down the hall. 

Chapter 2

Sonny had not slept well the night before, and it showed. He was hoping the strong coffee would help him concentrate, but so far, the only thing keeping him awake was the incessant throb in his right temple.

“Stan, on your way back, would you bring me the reports off Castillo’s desk.” 

“Yeah, sure, Sonny. Geeze, I saw Lydia bringing in a bunch more this morning. Man, you have your work cut out for you. ”

“Catch-up work, Castillo called it. He wants my follow-ups finished by the time he gets back tomorrow, and I’ve let it go to the last minute as usual.”

“I can’t believe he’s been gone a week.” 

“I think it’s the first real vacation he’s had in three years.” A funny look passed over Crockett’s face.

“Maybe I need to take some time for a little vacation. I hear Atlanta’s nice this time of year.” 

“Atlanta?” Stan looked thoughtful. “I’m kind of partial to the Keys, myself. Now there’s a place to get away from it all.”

Sonny sighed and looked down at the top of his desk. Files, like his thoughts, were scattered everywhere. 

“Here, Sonny.” 

Gina reached over to take away his stale coffee and replaced it with a fresh cup. “You didn’t get to sleep last night until nearly three. And even then, you tossed and turned for hours. What’s the matter? Too much on your mind?”

“Yeah, restless, I guess.”

She put her hand over his and squeezed it gently. “Listen. I’m finished with my last assignment, and I have two days off coming. How about I help you with some of this, and we can go home early? We could barbecue a couple of burgers, have a few beers, and then, who knows. With a little imagination, I’m sure we could discover some ways to help you unwind.” 

“Tempting,” he said, with a tired grin. 

But it wasn’t work that was distracting him. The phone call from Caroline had come out of the blue. Snatches of her words kept hitting him hard like punches to his midsection.  

“You constantly let him down, Sonny….you promised him last month and then changed your mind … again. It’s serious this time. Bob has thrown up his hands. I need you to step in.”

He hated it when she did that. He wanted to believe he was a man of his word but as far as his son was concerned she always managed to remind him how miserably he had failed. 

But you're the one who took Billy away! And then, you marry this…this guy! 

It had always infuriated Sonny that someone else had been given the right to bring up his son. Frustration punctuated every conversation he had with Caroline, especially when he heard his ex-wife describe Bob’s methods of discipline. 

No wonder the kid’s hostile  

“Easy for you to criticize,” she said angrily.  “We deal with him and his problems every day. You see him a week a year. Maybe. If he’s lucky.”

“Caroline…”

“I don’t want to argue.” Her voice had become hoarse and he knew she was fighting back tears.  “I can feel Billy slipping away and there’s nothing I can do to stop it. It frightens me.”

This time, he kept quiet. 

“There’s a football game this weekend . Saturday night. You’re the one who encouraged him to join. Having you there will mean a lot to him.”

“I’ll be there,” he had told her. Now he had to break the news to Gina.

“I have to go to Atlanta. My kid needs me.” He looked over at her. “He’s in trouble.”

“I’m sorry, Sonny. I hope it’s nothing serious.” 

“He’s trying to adjust to a new school, and he’s been hanging around with the wrong crowd. He’s sullen, rebellious and won’t listen to Caroline or Bob. She seems to think I’m the only one who can reach him. The trouble is, I’ve put off seeing him so many times, I’m not sure I have that influence anymore.” 

He sighed heavily. 

“Anyway, he has his first football game this weekend.  I need to be there.”  He paused. “Hey, we both have the weekend off. How about coming with me? Billy knows you, in fact I think he’s had a crush on you for quite a while. You could help run interference for me.”

“This is a family issue, Sonny. Caroline might resent it if I come.”

Despite the logic behind her comment, Sonny didn’t care. “She’ll have to get over it. You’re a big part of my life now.” 

He could tell she was pleased. 

“Okay. Anything I can do to help.” 

She reached over for the file labeled ‘Morales’. “I was with you on this stakeout.  Let me take this file back to my desk and try to make sense out of it. Meanwhile, you’d better call the airlines and book us a flight.” 

“Thanks, hon,” he said, giving her a grateful smile. He picked up the phone. 

Chapter 3

Caroline rested her face in her hands and took a deep breath. 

Since moving to the new area in Atlanta, she had noticed a troubling change in her son. Always a good student, now his grades seemed to be suffering. He had been one of the popular ones at Central, but this year, he never spoke about new friends. He was getting home from school pretty late, claiming he'd stayed for extra help. One afternoon while driving by the park, she saw him behind some trees, smoking with a group of other teens. Then one day while doing laundry, she was sure she caught the musky smell of pot clinging to one of his shirts. 

When she confronted him, he refused to admit it. He became furious, stomping into his room and refusing to come out for dinner. Bob grounded him for a week and insisted he come home on the regular school bus instead of the one scheduled for after-school activities. But her usually well-behaved boy ignored the demands and continued waltzing home after dark. Bob lost his temper, almost striking Billy after a particularly ugly shouting match. The atmosphere at home had become so toxic, she realized the only person who could reach Billy was his father. 

At first, Sonny sounded skeptical. “Caroline, he'll be fine. It's a new school. He'll make new friends.”

“You don’t understand. This is not the same sweet kid you saw the last time you visited. He’s like a stranger.”

“He’s a teenager. Hormones are raging. He’s testing his boundaries. He misses his old high school-take your pick.”

“Sonny, no, it’s more than that. This is really serious.”

Sonny had just called back to say he was booking the flight and said he was bringing Gina. That didn’t really sit well with her, but she let it go. Especially since she’d made up her mind that this time, she’d tell him the whole story. “If I wait until he gets here, there’s no telling how he’ll react,” she thought.

Maybe it’s a good thing Gina’s coming

She took a deep breath. “Sonny. I think he’s been smoking pot.”

Sonny exploded.  “Are you kidding me?” His voice was hard, almost hostile. His cop persona took over: Did she notice any money missing from her wallet? Was Billy forgetting things? Did he ever have a glazed expression? Had she searched his drawers or closet for drug paraphernalia? 

“No, I didn’t search his room. I’m pretty sure it was only pot, Sonny.”

“Pretty sure? Only pot? Damn it, Caroline! He’s fifteen!”

Her throat got tight with emotion and she could feel the hot sting of tears. “That’s not fair! I’m frightened and I’m reaching out to you for help! This isn’t the time for your blame game!”

She heard him sigh. “Okay, okay…you’re right. I’m sorry.”

“Fine,” she said, mentally gritting her teeth. 

“I’ll call you after we land.” He hung up abruptly. 

Caroline put the phone back on the base and sat down on the couch to think. Sonny and Billy had always been close. But now things had changed. Would Billy be glad to see him? Would he open up to his father? Would he trust him? 

The next thought made her shudder. Sonny had a temper and if he had any suspicion Billy was into something illegal, he’d lose it with him. That could alienate Billy even more.

It was the first time she had ever worried about Sonny’s connection to law enforcement and how it might hurt the father/son relationship more than it would help.

“Please, God,” she prayed. “Let Sonny heal this rift. Make him see how much his son wants him in his life.”

Chapter 4

“I don’t think I like the way you’re talking to me, buddy!” the distraught woman shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

The only answer Doris received was a chilly silence. 

“What can I do, what can I do,” she repeated to herself, as if this senseless mantra would offer a solution. Derrick was becoming more and more hostile. In fact, lately, she was forced to admit she had become a little afraid of him.  

“Imagine, afraid of my own son! How could this have happened?” 

The ear-splitting squeal of an electric guitar filtered through Derrick’s closed bedroom door. Doris bit the inside of her lip, worrying about the neighbor’s reaction as she glanced over at the open windows. The woman picked up her pocketbook from the kitchen counter and headed for the back door. 

“I need to get a few things,” she whispered. “By the time I get back, maybe he’ll have calmed down a little.”

As she backed the car out of the driveway, she caught sight of Derrick’s friend, Jeremy, coming up the walk. 

“Derrick home?’ he asked sullenly. 

She almost laughed at the question. How could he miss the deafening music bellowing from Derrick’s bedroom window?

“Why, yes he is, Jeremy,” she answered in a sarcastic tone. “Go right in. I’m sure you’ll have no problem finding where he is.”

The boy gave her a slight wave as if to send her on her way, and then sauntered through the front door without giving her a second glance.

Unfortunately for South Side High, she wasn’t present to hear the conversation between Jeremy and her son.

“Derrick? It’s me.”

Jeremy heard the invitation to enter and saw his friend sitting on the floor, staring out the window, his guitar cradled in his lap.

“So, we’re hitting tomorrow, right?” Jeremy asked.

“Yes…for the thousandth time, it goes down tomorrow, at the game.  Now stop asking stupid questions and shut the door before you broadcast the entire plan to my old lady. Not to mention the whole block, you asshole …”

Chapter 5

Sonny saw their luggage on the carousel. “Here you go,” he said, handing Gina a small suitcase. 

They picked up the car Sonny had rented and settled in for the ride to the motel. He hadn’t said anything on the plane, and he could tell Gina was trying to get him to open up.

“I know you’re worried. Tell me what to expect.”

“He’s been smoking pot, Gina.”

She glanced over at him. “I know what you’re thinking. Just don’t over-react, okay?”

He was quiet for a minute. “You of all people should know what this could mean. Kids and drugs. I’m sick over this. I don’t even know where to start. I’ve been absent for so long, it may be too late. My God, how do I reach him when I don’t even know him?”

“He’s trying to fit in. Experimenting. We all did it once, only back then, it was with alcohol. But I don’t blame you for worrying. All you can do now is give the kid a chance to open up. You might be surprised when you hear what he has to say.”

They stopped for a red light. “I hope I’m not too surprised,” he said. “Pot’s bad enough. God knows what else he’s into. Caroline was married to a cop, but she can be naïve sometimes.  Especially when it comes to Billy.”

“Wait and see. You know he’ll be happy you came to the game. That’ll be a big step toward rebuilding the trust.”

“Maybe. Fifteen’s a tough age. And I’ve lost a lot of ground with him.”

They arrived at the motel at around noon. Sonny turned off the car engine and sat there for a moment. “I got you in the middle of this. I’m sorry, Gina. I wasn’t using my head.”

“It’s okay. You needed me and I came. If Caroline doesn’t want to go into it with me, I understand.”

Caroline and Gina had always been friendly to one another even though the undercurrent of jealousy rippled just below the surface of the smiles and the laughter. “But that’s in the past, now,” he thought. “Maybe I’m worrying too much.”

He signed in at the desk and ushered her to their room. Caroline had invited them to stay, but Sonny wanted them to have a place to get away in case tensions ran high. 

“Nothing fancy, but at least it’s private.” He gave her a grin as he opened the door. 

“The bed looks comfortable.” She put her arms around his waist, and he kissed her. 

“Hmmm,” he murmured.  “Maybe we should test it out and see.” 

She laughed. “You read my mind, mister.” 

"That's good," he whispered.

They continued the kiss while she pushed the jacket off his shoulders.  She pulled his tee shirt out of his pants. Sliding her hands under his shirt, she ran her nails across his bare back. 

He reciprocated by unzipping her dress. 

Moving one hand from under his shirt, she unbuttoned his pants. He unsnapped her bra, then made sure the dress hanging off her shoulders made its way to the floor. When he felt her shiver, he pulled her closer. 

“Take off the shirt,” she said. “I want to feel your skin against mine.”  The desire he saw in her eyes excited him. The shirt came off in record time. 

They eased their way over to the bed.

“Lie down,” she said, a seductive smile playing on her lips.  

Sonny chuckled. “Yes, ma’am.” 

He pulled down the spread. He took off his pants, then laid down on the clean white sheets. 

She continued removing the rest of her clothes. She did it very slowly, one article at a time. When she was finished, she stood there, and let him enjoy the sight of her.  

His breathing accelerated. He knew he couldn’t wait much longer. “Come here,” he said. 

She was looking down at his body. Her eyes seemed to be drinking in every detail. “God, I want you,” he heard her say. Her voice was thick with need. 

He reached for her. Then, she straddled him.

Chapter 6

Caroline expected them to arrive around four-thirty. The timing worked well with her schedule. They could have a drink, maybe a light supper and then, leave for the game. 

The only problem was, Billy wasn’t home yet. He went out at one o’clock this afternoon, and now it was four-fifteen. She had no way of knowing if he even intended to show up for the game. 

She heard voices at the front door and she saw her former husband standing there. “Sonny, I’m so glad to see you,” she said as she ran to greet him. She hated to admit it, but her heart still raced a bit whenever she saw him, and sometimes she had to remind herself why their marriage had fallen apart. 

As she opened the door to let him in, she saw Gina standing off to the side. Caroline flashed her a friendly smile. 

“Gina, how are you? It’s so good to see you.” Then, she gave her a warm hug. She’d always liked the pretty detective and was happy Sonny finally found a woman who understood his passion for police work. 

“Come in, come in,” she said. She led them into the cool interior of the house. 

“Your home is lovely,” Gina said. 

Even though she was glad Gina had come,  she still felt some resentment. Why did Sonny focused on his own needs all the time? He was supposed to be focusing on Billy, for God’s sake.

Be generous. Be gracious. Keep the peace.

“Why thank you, Gina,” she said with a smile. “And welcome to Atlanta.”

Chapter 7

Sonny took Gina’s hand as they sat together on the couch.  Caroline was studying them with an amused expression on her face. Then he saw her glance at the diamond on Gina’s finger and her mood seem to darken. 

“So, where’s Bob and the little guy this weekend?” he asked quickly.

“Visiting Bob’s mother. We thought it would be better if you had this time to be alone with Billy.” 

Gina glanced over at Sonny. 

“Good thinking,” he said. “When Billy gets home, maybe you could show Gina around.”

“Sure. We have lots to talk about,” Caroline said. “And I want to hear all about the wedding plans.” 

He held back a laugh when he imagined his ex, discussing wedding plans with his future wife.  

The screen door slammed, and Sonny turned in time to see his son walk into the room. 

“Dad?” Billy’s eyes grew wide. 

Sonny stood. “Hey, kiddo. How’s it going?” 

Billy tackled him. “I can’t believe you’re here. Why didn’t you tell me Dad was coming, Mom?” There was accusation in his eyes. 

“Don’t blame your mother. I told her not to promise anything. But I was really anxious to catch your first football game. Mom tells me the coach actively recruited you.”

Billy eyes shifted away. “Yeah, well, I’m not so sure I’m going to stick it out. The other players don’t seem to like my style.”

“Whatta you mean?  They don’t like to win?” Sonny had watched his son play often enough to know talent when he saw it. Even in the eighth grade, Caroline would tell him how coaches from outside travel teams tried to get him to sign up.  

“I don’t think they see it like that. They’re used to playing a certain way, and I don’t fit in to their pattern.”

“Listen. You’re new and the new guy always has to prove himself. You have to give it a chance and let them see what you can do on the field when there’s a real opponent out there.” 

“Yeah, I guess so.”

He realized Billy just noticed Gina. “Hey, hi there!” he yelled out. His enthusiasm warmed Sonny’s heart. 

“Hello, Billy! I’m so happy to see you!”

“Me, too, Gina.” 

Billy’s unhappiness seemed dissolve into thin air. Now, the boy was beaming. 

After dinner, Billy needed to get ready and Sonny followed him up to his room. “So, what position do you play?’ Sonny asked as he sat down on Billy’s unmade bed. 

“Wide receiver for now.” 

Sonny saw his shy smile. “I told Coach Butler about you. He said he remembered the play you made at the Gator Bowl.”

“You’re kidding! That was a long time ago!” 

Billy knew how to get on his father’s good side. All he had to do was bring up Sonny’s 15-minute claim to fame during his college days at the University of Florida. When Billy was a little boy, Sonny never tired of telling his excited six-year old about how he caught the screen pass and took the ball 95 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

“Yeah, well the coach remembered it well enough to give me the number “88” on my jersey.”

“88. My old number.” Sonny chuckled. 

Billy continued to rummage in his closet, tossing out various articles of his clothing as he searched for the pants to his football uniform. “Mom washed my uniform and told me to bring it to my room. The pants have got to be here somewhere.”

“How ‘bout in your backpack?” Sonny offered, as he pulled the pack from Billy’s desk chair. “Want me to take a look?”

The noise from the closet stopped abruptly. “No!” the boy shouted as he flew towards Sonny in a panic.
Startled by Billy’s violent reaction, Crockett was momentarily taken aback. “Hey, take it easy. What’s the big deal?”

“Ah, nothing, nothing, Dad. Let me have the bag. I…I just… have my sweaty clothes in there from practice. They’re pretty awful.”

“What’s going on, Billy?” Sonny asked. His years as an investigator were too ingrained in his mind to allow him to ignore the tell-tale signs his son was hiding something from him.

“What do you mean? I forgot to empty it out last night and Mom was doing laundry this morning. She’ll be pissed, that’s all. Listen, I’m in enough fucking trouble….” 

The boy saw his father's face and he stopped dead in his tracks. 

“Hey, buster! What’s this all about? Some new way of talking?” 

Billy reached for his bag. His father refused to give it up. 

“Ok, so you don’t trust me. Big deal! I haven’t seen you in a whole year. So why should I care what you think?“

Sonny was quiet for a moment. He took a deep breath and tried to stay calm. “If you want me to trust you, then give me a reason to! This behavior I’m seeing is pretty new for me.”

“I … I’m sorry. Come on, Dad. Let me have the bag. It’s late and I have to get ready. I think my shoulder pads are in there and I need to check. This is my first game, I don’t want to be late!”

Sonny’s suspicions were aroused, but he wanted to give Billy a chance to come clean on his own. The possibility the boy was into drugs, filled him with dread. “Here, take it.” he said. 

Billy pulled the backpack out of Sonny’s hand.

“Don’t make me regret this, son.” 

The boy turned from his father and fled out into the hall. 

The confrontation left Sonny stunned and confused. The cop in him berated himself for not insisting on seeing what was inside the bag. But the father in him knew if he wanted to win back his son’s love this would have to be handled very delicately. 

Chapter 8

“Now what?” Doris whined as she looked out her living room window. She didn’t recognize the dark blue sedan parked in front of her house, and the man on her stoop didn’t look familiar, either. The sound of the doorbell made her jump. 

“Yes?” she asked the man standing there. 

“Mrs. Connors? Mrs. Doris Connors?” the man asked.

“Careful,” a little voice whispered. 

“Yes. But if you’re selling something, I’m not interested.”

“No, Ma’am. I’m not here to sell anything.” He reached into his pocket and produced an ID for her to see.

“I’m special agent James Kennedy, and I’m with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, ma’am. This is special agent Jack Forester.” 

Doris noticed the second man for the first time as he began to approach the house from the driveway. She studied each ID carefully, stalling for the moment as her mind began to conjure up all kinds of frightening possibilities. 

“We’re looking for a Derrick Connors, ma’am,” the second agent told her. “We need to ask him a few questions, if you don’t mind.”

“Derrick? My son?” Doris was genuinely puzzled. “He’s not here right now. What on earth could you want to ask him?”

“I think we may need to go inside, Mrs. Connors. This might take a while, and it’s mighty hot out here in the sun.”

“Yes, yes, of course. Come in, please. Can I offer you anything to drink, or eat, perhaps? I was just about to make lunch?” 

She looked up at them hopefully. Anything to get out of the room and give her an opportunity to think.

“Don’t bother, Mrs. Connors. We’re fine. We just need to ask you a few questions and then we’ll be on our way.”

Doris sat down with an unhappy sigh. “Whatever you say, officers. So, what do you want with my Derrick?”

Kennedy flipped open a small pad and took a pen out of his pocket. “Last month, a gun dealership reported a shipment of firearms stolen from their warehouse. It included some high-powered rifles, and two AK 47s. A Lauderdale gun dealer bought one of the smaller guns at a gun show in Miami. He bought it from a kid who told him it was a gift from his father. No paperwork, but the guy bought it anyway. Then, he notified us.”

Kennedy removed a photograph from his pocket. “This is the boy, ma’am. Does he look familiar?”

Doris was doing her best to stay calm. “No, I’ve never seen him before.” 

Kennedy stared at her. “It’s Derrick, isn’t it?” he asked. 

She turned away. 

“Mrs. Connors. We need your cooperation. Can you tell us where we can find him, please?” 

Chapter 9

The game wasn’t until 7pm, and Derrick decided to stop off at his house to pick up the extra ammo he’d stashed under the loose floorboard in his room. It surprised him to see two men coming out his front door.

“Hold it!” he said loudly to Jeremy. “Don’t stop, just keep going.”

Jeremy caught on to the situation quickly. “Who the fuck are they?”

“I’m not sure. Circle around the block and we’ll see where they go.”

Jeremy’s late model sedan had a hole in the muffler and when he hit the gas, the noise made Derrick cringe. He gave his friend a dirty look. “Why don’t you wave a flag at them as we go by?” he muttered. “This car is a piece of shit!”

“Hey, it gets you where you want to go, right?”

They turned the corner in time to see the stranger’s dark blue car pull away from the curb. Jeremy waited until the car was out of sight and slid into the driveway. Derrick raced up the front steps and burst through the door. His mother was on the couch, staring into space. 

“So, who the hell were those two goons?” he shouted.

Doris stared as if she didn’t recognize him at all.

“Hey, old lady. I’m talking to you. Who were those men? Answer me!”

“Special agents…the law. They were asking questions…about guns…Derrick, what have you done now?”

He had a wild expression on his face. “What are you talking about? What did they say?” 

“They were asking me where you were. They showed me a photograph of you at a gun show selling a stolen gun to a dealer.” She was crying now. “You stole guns? Why? Please, son. Tell me the truth. I think you’re in real trouble this time!”

Derrick mouth twisted into an ugly sneer. “You can go to hell, old woman. I don’t need to hear this. Just go to hell!’

He raced up to his room. Pushing his bed against the wall, he yanked the loose floorboard up and began to rifle through the boxes he’d been storing there. Frantically, he stuffed unopened packages into a satchel and when it was full, he continued filling his pockets until they were almost bursting. Then, he pulled a long case from his closet. 

Derrick looked around his room as if he was seeing it for the last time. Then he bolted down the stairs, carrying his arsenal with him. 

“Oh, Derrick! Please! Where are you going?” Doris bleated.

“What did you tell them?!” he screamed, grabbing her arm. 

“I … I told them you were visiting your father and I didn’t expect you back until tomorrow! Derrick let me go, please!”

“Very good. For once, you used your head!“ He let go of her arm and walked toward the door. “Goodbye, old lady,” he said. “Don’t wait up for me now, you hear?”

After surveying the block carefully, he sauntered down the steps and got into the car with Jeremy.

“So, where to, bro?” Jeremy asked curiously.

“Is the rest of the stuff in the trunk?” Derrick asked.

“Yeah, it’s in plastic garbage bags, just like you told me.”

“Good.” Derrick looked at his watch. “It’s five thirty. We have an hour and half before the game to set up.

Take a left up there at Derby and head for the woods behind the football field.”

“What happened back there?” Jeremy asked.

“The “Feds” showed up, that’s what happened. This is going to be the only chance we get, so we better make it count. Are you still in?” Derrick flashed his icy blue eyes in Jeremy’s direction and waited for an answer.

“What do you think?” Jeremy sniffed as if hurt Derrick would ever doubt him. 

“Okay, then,” Derrick grinned. “Take off.  But drive carefully. We don’t need any bubble brained traffic cops on our back just now.”

Jeremy revved the engine and frowned as the muffler rattled loudly. Avoiding Derrick’s piercing glare, he backed out slowly from the driveway. 

“Chill, bro. Everything’s under control,” he said. The car rattled and groaned before it turned the corner and continued on its way.

Chapter 10

Caroline finished drying her hands on the dishtowel and paused at the front door with a frown. She had just heard a gentle knock

“Who is it?” she called out, hoping it was just the paperboy looking for his money.

“Uh, the name is Jack Forrester, Mrs. Bennet. I’m with the Alcohol Firearms and Tobacco Investigation Division. We need to talk to you if you don’t mind?”

Puzzled, Caroline cracked the door. “Yes?’

Agent Forrester flashed his ID and then proceeded to introduce her to his partner, Jim Kennedy. “Sorry to bother you at this hour, ma’am, but we are conducting an investigation and it is essential we question as many residents in the area as possible.”

“Well, can it wait? We’re about to leave for a football game, and my son's on the team.”

Jack Forester’s smile was strained. “No, ma’am, I’m sorry. It can’t wait.” 

Caroline was married to a cop long enough to sense something serious in the wind. “Come in, then,” she said as she opened the door wider and let them enter. “Sonny!” she shouted, hoping a word from her ex might hurry things along. “Sonny, could you come out here a minute?” and then, to them “Please, come in. Sit down.”

“It’s alright, ma’am, if it’s all the same to you, we’ll stand. Hopefully this will just take a minute. You say you have a son on the football team. I assume he’s with South Side High School, am I right?”

“Ah, yes.” A knot of fear began to grow in the pit of her stomach. “He just started there this year. Why? What’s going on?”

“As I said, we are conducting an investigation and since it involves some students at the high school, we are trying to question as many students and parents as we can, to help us round out the picture of what has happened. It involves a shipment of missing firearms, Mrs. Bennet, and we are afraid these weapons have gotten into the hands of some of the young people in the community. We need to ask your son a few questions, with you present, of course.”

“Guns? Billy?” Caroline almost sounded relieved. “Oh, I don’t think so. His father is a police officer and he has always taught our son to respect guns.  And to understand the damage they can cause. I don’t think you’ll learn too much here, Mr. Forester.”

“Let’s hope not, ma’am.” 

"Caroline? Did you call me?” Sonny came into the room from the back hallway.

“Yes, please come here, Sonny. Gentlemen, I’d like you to meet my ex-husband and Billy’s father, Sonny Crockett. He’s a detective with Metro Dade in Miami. Sonny, these gentlemen are with Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco. They are asking some questions about stolen guns. In fact, they want to talk to Billy.” 

She’d turned her back on the two investigators so they wouldn’t see her face and she frowned expressively at Sonny as if to say: “Do something, please!”

Chapter 11

“Why don’t you give me some background,” Sonny asked.

“What unit are you with, Detective?” Jim Kennedy asked, carefully choosing his words.

“Vice, Miami. I’ve had my share of gunrunners in my neck of the woods, though. Believe me, I understand the urgency of the matter.”

“Well, good. Then I guess you'll understand why it’s so important I talk to your son. A gun was traced to a student at the high school and we have reason to believe this student has been selling all kinds of weapons to kids in the area. We are talking to as many of the students as we can, hoping they can us something. We want to find these guns and remove them from the community before it’s too late.”

Sonny felt a pin prick of fear. He remembered a conversation he’d had with his Billy a year ago , and now, it started to take on a whole new meaning.

“Dad, take me to the shooting range with you. I want to watch you shoot. Maybe I could try it out, huh, Dad? Come on, please. You’ll be right there. It’ll be okay.” 

“Shooting a gun is not something I’m necessarily proud of, Billy. It’s part of the job and nothing more. Besides, I thought you were dying to go fishing?”

The boy seemed disappointed at the time, but once the St. Vitus picked up a good rate of speed on that windy day, he seemed to brighten and never mentioned it again. Could it have been just a momentary fascination, or had the desire lingered, only to resurface when anger and resentment began to take hold? 

“Okay,” he said in a monotone voice. “Give me a minute. I’ll get him.”

Caroline shot him a look. He gave her a reassuring smile as he walked to the boy’s room. He was trying to stay calm.

"Billy, some officers are here. They want to talk to you." 

Billy's head jerked up. "What?"

"They’re asking about some stolen guns. Someone in your school has been selling them. Have you heard about it?”

"Huh. No! Of course not!" Billy’s eyes slid away and Sonny’s heart sank.

"All you have to do is tell them the truth … the truth Billy." 

"My game starts in half an hour. I don't have time for this. Can't you just make them go away?" 

"No, I can’t. Just answer their questions and it will be over soon enough. Come on."

Their eyes locked. "Okay,” Billy said. 

The taller of the two men stood, "My name’s Jack Forester, son. I’m with AFT. Do you know what that stands for?”

“Yeah. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms” 

“You’re right. Good. I’m stopping by to talk to all the kids in your school. We have a few questions. I know you’re headed for a game, so I’ll make it brief.” 

Billy cleared  his throat. “Okay.”  

“Do you know a boy named Derrick Connors?" 

Billy was starting to feel sick to his stomach. "I just started at Southside. I don’t know many kids, yet." 

"Most of the kids seem to know him. He's tall and lanky with dark hair. He dresses in black all the time. He’s hard to miss."

"No. Sorry. Don't know him."

"Have you heard anything about other students having guns in your school?"

"No, I haven't. Can I go now?”

Sonny saw Kennedy’s eyes narrow. "Is there something you want to tell us, Bill?"

"I told you I don’t know anything. I have to get to my game!" 

With that, Billy picked up his bag with his gear and headed for the door. He turned and gave his mother a pointed look. "I'm going to be late!" 

The two men in suits left with one final statement. "If Billy does find out anything or has anything to tell us, here's our number." The shorter man handed a card to Caroline.

"My son’s honest,” she said. “I'm sure he would have told you if he knew the boy." 

Sonny was in shock. Billy was hiding something. He could feel it. 

Gina was standing in the doorway. “Honey, what’s going on.” 

He pulled her close and felt her arms squeeze him tightly. “We better get going,” he said. “I’ll explain in the car.”

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

I'm already intrigued by the start of this one--and scared, too!

43 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

“Nothing fancy, but at least it’s private.” He gave her a grin as he opened the door. 

Nice interlude :happy:

36 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Billy knew how to get on his father’s good side. All he had to do was bring up Sonny’s 15-minute claim to fame during his college days at the University of Florida. When Billy was a little boy, Sonny never tired of telling his excited six-year old about how he caught the screen pass and took the ball 95 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

Nice touch!  And a moment of lightness (even though also a sly attempt at distraction on Billy's part) as the storm clouds gather.

39 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

The confrontation left Sonny stunned and confused. The cop in him berated himself for not insisting on seeing what was inside the bag. But the father in him knew if he wanted to win back his son’s love this would have to be handled very delicately. 

Looking forward to more!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I'm already intrigued by the start of this one--and scared, too!

Nice touch!  And a moment of lightness (even though also a sly attempt at distraction on Billy's part) as the storm clouds gather.

Looking forward to more!

Thank you, vicegirl85! I appreciate the feedback. It helps to see what others enjoy and if clues or subtle hints were recognized. =)

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

And thank you for the inspiration with that line. You have a good intuition when it comes to Sonny. 

• Thanks 1